Woolworths CEO walks out during 'intense' interview: 'I think I’m done'

In a recent interview with ABC's Four Corners program, Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci found himself in hot water.

The seasoned executive, who has been at the helm of the supermarket giant for eight years, was confronted with allegations of price gouging and the monopolistic nature of Australia's supermarket sector.

The result? A shocking on-air meltdown that ended with Banducci walking out of the interview.

The Four Corners program, known for its in-depth investigative journalism, was examining the contentious issue of how supermarket behemoths Coles and Woolworths profit from rising prices.

Banducci, along with Coles boss Leah Weckert, was invited to share his perspective on the matter.

SDC 3.png
Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci reportedly walked out during a heated interview with Four Corners. Image source: Woolworths Group.

The interview took a dramatic turn when reporter Angus Grigg posed a seemingly straightforward question to Banducci.

Referencing Rod Sims, the former Head of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), Grigg asked, 'Rod Sims says that we have one of the most concentrated supermarket [sectors] in the world, is he lying?'

Banducci's response was swift and defensive.

'It's not true—it is not true,' he retorted, attempting to argue that the industry is, in fact, 'an incredibly competitive market'.

When Grigg tried to reiterate the question, saying, 'I'm sorry, the former head of the [the] ACCC says…', Banducci interrupted him, dismissively stating, '[He's] retired'.

Grigg, taken aback, defended Sims' expertise and integrity, saying, 'I don't think you would impugn his integrity and his understanding of competition law [because he's retired],' and reminding Banducci that Sims had only retired 18 months ago.

Banducci, realising his misstep, asked if his comment could be removed from the interview. 'I shouldn't have said that,' he admitted, requesting the footage be cut.

Grigg, however, stood his ground.

'We're on the record, you've said it…let's just move on,' he said.

'I think I'm done, guys,' Banducci then declared, standing up and walking off the set.

Grigg, surprised, responded, 'Really, you're walking out?'

You can watch the full video below:

Video source: TikTok/@abcnewsaus.

Reflecting on the incident later on ABC's News Breakfast, Grigg described Banducci's reaction as 'pretty startling'.

He added, 'I think it shows you that, there you have the boss of the largest supermarket chain in the country really unwilling to face too many questions. It shows how little scrutiny they've had over the years, and I think that's a really big problem.'

Banducci reportedly returned to complete the interview.

In Australia, Coles and Woolworths control a staggering 65 per cent of the grocery market.

Last year, both companies were ordered to appear before a senate inquiry investigating allegations of price gouging, a practice that hits shoppers already grappling with a cost-of-living crisis.

Coles reportedly blamed suppliers and farmers for the rising costs and revealed that they have been receiving an average of more than 70 requests weekly for price increases from suppliers and farmers.

Furthermore, increased energy, labour, logistics, and packaging costs all contribute to the rising prices of goods, according to Coles.

You can read more about this here.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci walked out of an ABC interview after being questioned about Australia's supermarket sector concentration.
  • The interview was part of the Four Corners program which is examining the profit margins of Coles and Woolworths amid rising prices.
  • Banducci disputed the claim by former ACCC Head Rod Sims that Australia has one of the most concentrated supermarket sectors in the world.
  • Coles and Woolworths, which control 65 per cent of Australia's grocery market, were ordered to appear at a senate inquiry over allegations of price gouging.
What are your thoughts on Mr Banducci walking out during the interview? Have you felt the pinch of rising grocery prices? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Ever since ColesWorth obtained extended trading hours back in the later 1980s they been able to out-compete the sole trader with his veggie or butcher's shop. And that is OUR fault, for wanting to go shopping whenever we feel we need to buy something, rather than planning our time sensibly. NZ used to have one night a week for late night shopping, I think on a Friday night, and only the family-run corner dairy open on Saturdays and Sundays. That enabled the small trader to stay in business competitively. The ColesWorth duopoly is the price we pay for "convenience", as is the plastic credit/debit card and cashless society and where that is going to lead in the next 10 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Chips
Banducci dribbles more shit than a sewerage plant. They treat us like we are bloody idiots. Can't wait till the bastards finished.

If only you all knew how much of these interviews are cut , re-arranged, extra comments added later by the interviewer - and the list goes on. I have twice in the past witnessed live interviews but when they went to air you would never believe it was supposed to be one and the same. Cutting and editing on a grand scale is so commonplace and it's so much easier than photoshopping pictures and we all know how easy that is to do.
The words of warning are - if it 'ain't' live take it with a grain of salt and I would not hesitate to add that I think it's these so called tv personalities that are more likely to be the narcissists.
NO, I don't work in either industries or have any connections with them.

I'll put a $1 bet on the Journo being the good guy in this instance, rather than a failed $10M CEO who struggled to think on his feet so to speak.

Quite a few are aware of editing tricks. In this case, I reckon the boot was on the other foot as Banducci tried to get his undisciplined comment cut, but it was a gold line for a journalist who wasn't even going for the throat. A gift if you like.

The petulant one then decided it was all too hard to explain the integrity of Coles' business behaviour to Australians at large.

Sook attack aside, in respect of dodgy practices leading to uncompetitive grocery prices, old saying goes 'if it walks like a duck and yada, yada...............'

It is what it is I say. It's a monopoly in the guise of a duopoly. ColesWorth. It needs to be brought down as it doesn't deserve this privileged position. We need at least 4 supermarket brands of comparable size. Just have a look at the big 4 banks. If there were 2 (which is really one), do you think that one would have the good interests of the Australian people at heart when it comes to interests rates!

I'll put a $1 bet on the Journo being the good guy in this instance, rather than a failed $10M CEO who struggled to think on his feet so to speak.

Quite a few are aware of editing tricks. In this case, I reckon the boot was on the other foot as Banducci tried to get his undisciplined comment cut, but it was a gold line for a journalist who wasn't even going for the throat. A gift if you like.

The petulant one then decided it was all too hard to explain the integrity of Coles' business behaviour to Australians at large.

Sook attack aside, in respect of dodgy practices leading to uncompetitive grocery prices, old saying goes 'if it walks like a duck and yada, yada...............'

It is what it is I say. It's a monopoly in the guise of a duopoly. ColesWorth. It needs to be brought down as it doesn't deserve this privileged position. We need at least 4 supermarket brands of comparable size. Just have a look at the big 4 banks. If there were 2 (which is really one), do you think that one would have the good interests of the Australian people at heart when it comes to interests rates!
We have 4 large banks and they do not really compete or consider our interests
Ps Banducci is / was from Woolworths

Reactions: LeahI and IAN3005
We have 4 large banks and they do not really compete or consider our interests
Ps Banducci is / was from Woolworths
Consider our interests....that's a laugh and a half... CEOs NEVER consider our interest even though they say they do......

Reactions: ARL
Fair comment about the state of banks current competitiveness. I think the trick is to imagine what the banks would be like if only 2 big ones not 4. Would the situation be x times as bad or no different.

Someone mentioned a super profit tax. Great idea.
Supermarkets, mining companies and banks will not have it!

Reactions: ARL
Now, here we are today with Brad Banducci fronting up for the Senate inquiry into supermarket prices.

This bloke is mucking around and attempting to play the Senate, but he's not mucking around with his attempt to take out an Academy Award.

Fancy saying as the CEO of a company that you don't actually know what the Return on Equity (ROE) is for your company!

ROE is easy to understand. It's purpose is to work out how much profit a company generates based on the money invested by shareholders. It's a critical financial measurement that should be known by all CEO's because ROE directly affects a company's pricing decisions and market influence. And he doesn't know what it is!! Yeah, right!

For public interest and accountability, the Senate inquiry aims to ensure transparency, fair competition, and affordability in the grocery sector. So this measurement is critical information the Senate needs, to evaluate whether fair practices are at play for us consumers.

No wonder the Inquiry head is losing patience with Banducci, who, after 2 hours of bullshitting around admitted to not knowing the answer and taking the question under notice. This was after the senate inquiry started talking about fines and possible jail time.

This is huge, given this bloke has an enormous influence on the cost of groceries in Australia.

That ROE answer will mean a lot to all of us if ultimately the right thing is done, by those elected, for all us consumers.

The thing is, it sounds like the Woolworths figure is likely to make Australian banks look ordinary in their performance but our banks are indeed among the most profitable in the world, if not top of the tree as suggested to Banducci by the senate inquiry people.

Reactions: LeahI
Why does this person still CEO. The board need to get rid of him NOW!

Banducci is good at walking out, so please walk out of Woolworths

Yep, he's on the way out. Leaving sometime in September this year.

Might be a bit earlier given the 6 months gaol threat for holding the senate in contempt.