Woolworths CEO takes drastic action as employees start fearing going to work

In an alarming revelation, a Woolworths employee from New South Wales has confessed to being 'scared' to go to work due to the rising tide of customer abuse.

This disturbing trend has escalated to such an extent that Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci felt compelled to address the issue in an email to shoppers, condemning the 'unacceptable' behaviour.

The Woolworths staffer shared that he and his colleagues on the front line are subjected to verbal and physical abuse on a daily basis.

They claimed these incidents often go unreported by management, leaving the higher-ups oblivious to the severity of the situation.

SDC 5.png
Woolworths CEO sends an email to customers addressing the rising abuse employees face. Image source: Shutterstock.

In one shocking incident, a disgruntled customer resorted to hurling grocery items at the employee, forcing him to seek refuge behind a counter and call for security assistance.

'I told management about it, and they made me contact the police,' he shared.

'I shouldn't be the one that has to ring them. They should be calling them and doing the report.'

The reasons behind these outbursts range from minor inconveniences such as out-of-stock items to insufficient cash in tills for large withdrawals.

The employee confessed, 'I'm scared at night at checkouts. I don't like working after 7 pm when there is no staff and it's not safe.'

The employee also highlighted the issue of system lag in updating stock availability online, which often leads to confrontations with customers who find their desired items out of stock upon visiting the store.

'When you go online, it says that an item is in stock, but it takes two and a half hours for the system to update. So [a customer] comes into the store, they call [for help], and it's me working that day, I get called the “F” word because it's out of stock.'

Precaution against shoplifting is also reportedly one of the main reasons that anger customers.

'[We] ask to check their bag, that's when they get angry, and swear and yell.'

In a letter to customers, Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci acknowledged the issue, expressing his disappointment at the decline in goodwill towards frontline workers since the pandemic.

'Sadly, that goodwill has fallen away and, while the vast majority of customers do the right thing, we’re seeing an unacceptable rise in team abuse,' Banducci stated.

'There’s no excuse for this behaviour in our stores or any workplace. We thank all our customers who treat our team with respect and kindness.'

Despite public concerns over the increase in self-serve checkouts, Banducci assured that Woolworths has hired 5,500 personal shoppers this year due to the surge in online ordering.

'So there’s more jobs at Woolies not less,' he added.

The anonymous Woolworths worker emphasised the need for better reporting mechanisms and more proactive management.

'I just want management to do something about it,' he said.

He believes that the reluctance to report incidents due to the paperwork involved is preventing decision-makers from understanding the real challenges faced by ground staff, such as the need for night-time security.

This revelation comes after recent strikes by Coles and Woolworths employees demanding better pay and working conditions. Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) secretary Josh Cullinan described supermarkets as 'crime scenes' and highlighted the prevalence of incidents at every store monthly.

'These are essential workers who are on minimum wage, have unsafe workplaces and insecure jobs,' Cullinan said.

'You have young women in their first jobs having to experience sexual harassment.'

'There is an incident at every store every month.'
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths staff member has reported facing daily verbal and physical abuse from customers and feeling unsafe during night shifts.
  • This rise in abuse has prompted Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci to address the issue in an email to customers, denouncing such behaviour.
  • Despite the rise of self-serve checkouts and online shopping, Woolworths has reportedly added 5,500 personal shopper jobs, according to Banducci.
  • Concerns were raised about the under-reporting of incidents due to paperwork, leading to decision-makers being unaware of the true amount of support needed by staff on the ground.
What are your thoughts on this issue, dear readers? Have you witnessed such incidents in your local stores? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
In an alarming revelation, a Woolworths employee from New South Wales has confessed to being 'scared' to go to work due to the rising tide of customer abuse.

This disturbing trend has escalated to such an extent that Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci felt compelled to address the issue in an email to shoppers, condemning the 'unacceptable' behaviour.

The Woolworths staffer shared that he and his colleagues on the front line are subjected to verbal and physical abuse on a daily basis.

They claimed these incidents often go unreported by management, leaving the higher-ups oblivious to the severity of the situation.

View attachment 36124
Woolworths CEO sends an email to customers addressing the rising abuse employees face. Image source: Shutterstock.

In one shocking incident, a disgruntled customer resorted to hurling grocery items at the employee, forcing him to seek refuge behind a counter and call for security assistance.

'I shouldn't be the one that has to ring them. They should be calling them and doing the report.'

The reasons behind these outbursts range from minor inconveniences such as out-of-stock items to insufficient cash in tills for large withdrawals.

The employee confessed, 'I'm scared at night at checkouts. I don't like working after 7 pm when there is no staff and it's not safe.'

The employee also highlighted the issue of system lag in updating stock availability online, which often leads to confrontations with customers who find their desired items out of stock upon visiting the store.

'When you go online, it says that an item is in stock, but it takes two and a half hours for the system to update. So [a customer] comes into the store, they call [for help], and it's me working that day, I get called the “F” word because it's out of stock.'

Precaution against shoplifting is also reportedly one of the main reasons that anger customers.

In a letter to customers, Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci acknowledged the issue, expressing his disappointment at the decline in goodwill towards frontline workers since the pandemic.

'Sadly, that goodwill has fallen away and, while the vast majority of customers do the right thing, we’re seeing an unacceptable rise in team abuse,' Banducci stated.

'There’s no excuse for this behaviour in our stores or any workplace. We thank all our customers who treat our team with respect and kindness.'

Despite public concerns over the increase in self-serve checkouts, Banducci assured that Woolworths has hired 5,500 personal shoppers this year due to the surge in online ordering.

The anonymous Woolworths worker emphasised the need for better reporting mechanisms and more proactive management.

He believes that the reluctance to report incidents due to the paperwork involved is preventing decision-makers from understanding the real challenges faced by ground staff, such as the need for night-time security.

This revelation comes after recent strikes by Coles and Woolworths employees demanding better pay and working conditions. Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) secretary Josh Cullinan described supermarkets as 'crime scenes' and highlighted the prevalence of incidents at every store monthly.

'These are essential workers who are on minimum wage, have unsafe workplaces and insecure jobs,' Cullinan said.

'You have young women in their first jobs having to experience sexual harassment.'

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths staff member has reported facing daily verbal and physical abuse from customers and feeling unsafe during night shifts.
  • This rise in abuse has prompted Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci to address the issue in an email to customers, denouncing such behaviour.
  • Despite the rise of self-serve checkouts and online shopping, Woolworths has reportedly added 5,500 personal shopper jobs, according to Banducci.
  • Concerns were raised about the under-reporting of incidents due to paperwork, leading to decision-makers being unaware of the true amount of support needed by staff on the ground.
What are your thoughts on this issue, dear readers? Have you witnessed such incidents in your local stores? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
I agree with this young man! I hated working on front end because of the abuse...I was spat at, sworn at, abused for lack of checkouts open, had things thrown at me and even threatened to kill me..(drug affected)person. I have PTSD due to this during the pandemic it was a lot worse...management NEEDS to take these things seriously..its not funny, random or non existent ITS SERIOUS AND IT LEAVES LASTING DAMAGE! I would urge everyone to think BEFORE they start abusing front end staff..we all get frustrated...BUT it is not our fault! Be kind ! I left the store after over 16 yrs of working because of it!

View attachment 36124

Key Takeaways

Outrageous! Every worker should be able to go to work knowing that it is a safe environment. It is the employer‘s responsibility to ensure their safety , support and wellbeing.

Everyone should feel safe in their workplace. It is the employers' responsibility to make sure that their employees are looked after. @Lisa, I feel for you. There is so much aggression in the shopping centres. You see people pushing other people out of the road just to get to the sales so they get what THEY want. There is no such thing as courtesty and respect anymore. That's why I must prefer to shop in the safety of my own home. It is a sad indictment on our society.

I agree with this young man! I hated working on front end because of the abuse...I was spat at, sworn at, abused for lack of checkouts open, had things thrown at me and even threatened to kill me..(drug affected)person. I have PTSD due to this during the pandemic it was a lot worse...management NEEDS to take these things seriously..its not funny, random or non existent ITS SERIOUS AND IT LEAVES LASTING DAMAGE! I would urge everyone to think BEFORE they start abusing front end staff..we all get frustrated...BUT it is not our fault! Be kind ! I left the store after over 16 yrs of working because of it!
😥

We hope your days have been better and more peaceful since, @Lisa 🙏

Last edited:
All of these Woolies employees need to have a security guard at their disposal ( one common guard) who can step in immediately there is a verbal/physical assault upon them. They are not paid enough to put up with such nonsense which can be traumatising for them and putting up with such behavior from any customer is definitely not written in their Job Description. Woolworths make enough profit to provide this in all of their stores and it should be mandatory in order to protect their staff at all times. 😡

I think this abuse of workers is only going to get worse as there are more people losing jobs, struggling to buy food etc. life is going to get a lot harder for a lot more people the way the economy is going. Saying that, there is never an excuse for hurling abuse or anything else at workers who are trying to do their jobs and help you. This kind of behaviour should not have to be tolerated by anyone, store management need to make sure workers have a safe place to work.

All of these Woolies employees need to have a security guard at their disposal ( one common guard) who can step in immediately there is a verbal/physical assault upon them. They are not paid enough to put up with such nonsense which can be traumatising for them and putting up with such behavior from any customer is definitely not written in their Job Description. Woolworths make enough profit to provide this in all of their stores and it should be mandatory in order to protect their staff at all times. 😡
I think this abuse of workers is only going to get worse as there are more people losing jobs, struggling to buy food etc. life is going to get a lot harder for a lot more people the way the economy is going. Saying that, there is never an excuse for hurling abuse or anything else at workers who are trying to do their jobs and help you. This kind of behaviour should not have to be tolerated by anyone, store management need to make sure workers have a safe place to work.
Really great points! Staff already deal with enough without having to fear for their safety on the job :(

its no good "bullying" the staff regarding complaints, go to the manager and have him relay your thoughts to HIS boss, they are the the correct people to handle these matters,thats their job .the worker is a victim also just making a living

View attachment 36124

Key Takeaways

I have unfortunately witnessed such an outburst.
The ölder"woman in front of me at checkout threw a tirade of abuse at the operator because she spoke with an accent and the woman couldn't understand her. I think the hearing aids were switched off.
It was so loud and demeaning the young team member went to tears. So, I could not help but intervene.
At the risk of being abused as well, I did say something to the woman and also suggested she listen a little more closely because I had no problem. Then I turned to the young female worker and consoled her. I felt so bad for her.
No worker, regardless of the industry, should have to suffer abuse from a customer. The affect of heated verbal abuse is bad enough. If they are threatened physically, they have every right to shut down the register and refuse to continue service with that person. This is just not acceptable, regardless of the excuse offered.

That have no more powers than you or me.
You’re right, it’s so wrong that even security staff can’t protect workers or even themselves and these violent people know it. I don’t know what the solution is. I just make sure that when I shop I am super nice to the staff, they deserve it with what they have to put up with

You have a right to be able to go 
to work and feel safe,but that is 
sometimes not the case in the modern 
day. It is not good enough,management 
needs to be made aware of the 
deteriorating situation that faces 
"front line" staff, but many middle 
managers don't want to do that in 
case it adds to their pressing duties 
to make money for the company. 

Last edited:
Reactions: magpie1
When Woolies first started opening late with minimum staff on duty they employed a security guard at each store, especially the stand alone more isolated. After a couple of years they were dropped leaving employees exposed.

Reactions: magpie1
That have no more powers than you or me.
Here's the duck's guts on what security can and can't do.

In general, security guards have the authority to:

For licenced premises:-

Prevent you from entering certain places; for example, if you are intoxicated, disorderly or carrying a weapon.

Remove you from the premises. If a security guard asks you to leave, you must leave. If you refuse, you can be charged with trespassing.

Make a citizen’s arrest; for example, if you have been violent or they reasonably suspect you have committed an offence.

Require you to provide your identification in licensed venues.

For shopping centres:-

Security guards are not allowed to search you or your possessions without your consent, but if you refuse they may ask you to leave or refuse you entry.

Unlike police, PSOs and Authorised Officers, security guards don’t have any special powers to arrest you. They can, like any regular person, perform a citizen’s arrest.

They must catch you in the act of committing the crime and they can’t arrest you just because they suspect you’ve committed a crime.

Security guards do not have any special powers outside the private property they are employed to protect. That means they are not allowed to use force against you if you have already left the property, unless they have seen you commit a crime and they perform a ‘citizens arrest’ to hold you until police get there.

Any arguments with the above? Good luck with that if you do.