Woolworths CEO takes drastic action as employees start fearing going to work

In an alarming revelation, a Woolworths employee from New South Wales has confessed to being 'scared' to go to work due to the rising tide of customer abuse.

This disturbing trend has escalated to such an extent that Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci felt compelled to address the issue in an email to shoppers, condemning the 'unacceptable' behaviour.

The Woolworths staffer shared that he and his colleagues on the front line are subjected to verbal and physical abuse on a daily basis.

They claimed these incidents often go unreported by management, leaving the higher-ups oblivious to the severity of the situation.

SDC 5.png
Woolworths CEO sends an email to customers addressing the rising abuse employees face. Image source: Shutterstock.

In one shocking incident, a disgruntled customer resorted to hurling grocery items at the employee, forcing him to seek refuge behind a counter and call for security assistance.

'I told management about it, and they made me contact the police,' he shared.

'I shouldn't be the one that has to ring them. They should be calling them and doing the report.'

The reasons behind these outbursts range from minor inconveniences such as out-of-stock items to insufficient cash in tills for large withdrawals.

The employee confessed, 'I'm scared at night at checkouts. I don't like working after 7 pm when there is no staff and it's not safe.'

The employee also highlighted the issue of system lag in updating stock availability online, which often leads to confrontations with customers who find their desired items out of stock upon visiting the store.

'When you go online, it says that an item is in stock, but it takes two and a half hours for the system to update. So [a customer] comes into the store, they call [for help], and it's me working that day, I get called the “F” word because it's out of stock.'

Precaution against shoplifting is also reportedly one of the main reasons that anger customers.

'[We] ask to check their bag, that's when they get angry, and swear and yell.'

In a letter to customers, Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci acknowledged the issue, expressing his disappointment at the decline in goodwill towards frontline workers since the pandemic.

'Sadly, that goodwill has fallen away and, while the vast majority of customers do the right thing, we’re seeing an unacceptable rise in team abuse,' Banducci stated.

'There’s no excuse for this behaviour in our stores or any workplace. We thank all our customers who treat our team with respect and kindness.'

Despite public concerns over the increase in self-serve checkouts, Banducci assured that Woolworths has hired 5,500 personal shoppers this year due to the surge in online ordering.

'So there’s more jobs at Woolies not less,' he added.

The anonymous Woolworths worker emphasised the need for better reporting mechanisms and more proactive management.

'I just want management to do something about it,' he said.

He believes that the reluctance to report incidents due to the paperwork involved is preventing decision-makers from understanding the real challenges faced by ground staff, such as the need for night-time security.

This revelation comes after recent strikes by Coles and Woolworths employees demanding better pay and working conditions. Retail and Fast Food Workers Union (RAFFWU) secretary Josh Cullinan described supermarkets as 'crime scenes' and highlighted the prevalence of incidents at every store monthly.

'These are essential workers who are on minimum wage, have unsafe workplaces and insecure jobs,' Cullinan said.

'You have young women in their first jobs having to experience sexual harassment.'

'There is an incident at every store every month.'
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths staff member has reported facing daily verbal and physical abuse from customers and feeling unsafe during night shifts.
  • This rise in abuse has prompted Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci to address the issue in an email to customers, denouncing such behaviour.
  • Despite the rise of self-serve checkouts and online shopping, Woolworths has reportedly added 5,500 personal shopper jobs, according to Banducci.
  • Concerns were raised about the under-reporting of incidents due to paperwork, leading to decision-makers being unaware of the true amount of support needed by staff on the ground.
What are your thoughts on this issue, dear readers? Have you witnessed such incidents in your local stores? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
DOESN'T THE EMPLOYER HAVE A DUTY OF CARE TO MAKE CERTAIN A WORK SITE IS SAFE?
NOT DOING SO SHOULD MEAN A FINE UNDER THE TRADES ACT, shouldn't it?

In the case of the person who was told to contact the Police himself, l agree the employer should have done this.
Abusing staff for shortages achieves no good, this is not their fault. There is a system for ordering goods for a business isn't there? An employee places an order while ultimately ends up at the Warehouse who sends these out. If the warehouse is out of stock they order from their supplier. Sort of 'A Catch 22' isn't it?
Instead of abusing the poor employee direct it at the Warehouse who supply those items you need & are the reason they are not on the shelf when you want them.

Over a month ago l went to my local Bunnings store to get a tool. The rack was empty & an employee, after checking his computer said there are suppose to be 2 in stock (so much for that). Three visits since then & the same result. No use getting hot under the collar with staff. This is possibly one of those items which are imported & we know the situation there. Not knowing for sure they will possibly say something like, 'could be on the wharf' or 'on a ship' or sorry l don't know. I will just bide my time or try another Bunnings store.

Problem solved.

Reactions: Liz