Woolworths cashier refuses to pack bags and sparks heated debate – who's in the wrong?

We’ve all had exasperating experiences at the supermarket before. Perhaps the line was too long, we encountered other rowdy shoppers, or maybe we couldn’t find that one item we really needed.

But for one Woolworths customer, a recent trip to their local store turned out to be more confusing (and frustrating) than usual.

The customer posted on Reddit, a popular social media forum, to relay his experience while shopping at Woolies just recently.

He shared that after queuing at a manned checkout, the cashier asked him to bag the groceries into his shopping bags.

checkout.JPG
The customer was confused why they were asked to bag their own groceries – at a manned checkout. Credit: SHVETS production in Pexels

‘The cashier told me to bag groceries myself (had about $130 bucks worth). When questioned whether this was their job or COVID measure, the cashier responded by stating “it made the process faster”,’ they wrote in their post.

The customer’s post sparked a discussion in the comments section, and said that this experience left him ‘curious’.

‘I obliged but was left curious whether this is accepted, tolerated, and normal nowadays. I should also highlight this is not the self-checkout area,’ the customer continued.

One user wrote: ‘Coles and Woolworths charge 30 to 50 per cent more than ALDI, so they should be bagging for you. Personally, I choose to shop at ALDI and save that money.’

Another added: ‘Yeah, that would annoy me. If I wanted to bag my own groceries, I’d go to self-checkout or ALDI.’

checkout1.JPG
Where do you like to shop, members? Credit: Karolina Grabowska in Pexels

A separate user commented: ‘I know everyone needs a job but if you can’t do your job accordingly then sorry get a new one…sorry you had to pack your own.’

To which the customer replied: ‘Would be more upsetting if an elderly or less-able person was asked to do this. But yes, it is their job.’

Others said that they’ve never been asked to bag their own items. However, if they see other shoppers waiting behind them, then they help bag the items and add that helping out is entirely their choice.

A cashier offered more insight on the matter: ‘I go faster when I pack myself. Why they thought you packing is faster is beyond me. I work at Woolies and really shouldn’t have asked unless you have dirty bags or something like that. We have a sign on our register to answer the question of packing bags saying the process is faster if we do it.’

Someone else shared that they were on ‘both sides of the fence’.

‘In your defence, you do pay a slightly more premium price at Woolies to have your own groceries bagged at checkout. I used to do that job and believe me, the checkout worker you had would be in the wrong and could get into trouble for making you do your own groceries,’ they started.

But then offered another perspective: ‘However on the other hand…we are the only developed western country who makes staff bag customers groceries. But yeah, to each their own.’

A spokesperson from Woolworths said:

‘Our checkout operators are expected to bag groceries at our manned checkouts if that’s the customers wish, as per our bagging policy.’

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths supermarket customer revealed that a cashier had asked them to pack their own groceries at a manned checkout.
  • In their post, the Reddit user said he was confused by the experience, and questioned whether this was now normal practice.
  • A Woolworths employee responded to the post, stating that there’s only one reason that customers may be asked to pack their own bags is if the bags are dirty.
  • Other Reddit users said the cashier’s request would frustrate them, but others agreed with the cashier, saying they preferred to pack their own bags.
What are your thoughts, folks? Do you agree that staff should pack your groceries at checkouts, or do you prefer doing it yourself? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
We’ve all had exasperating experiences at the supermarket before. Perhaps the line was too long, we encountered other rowdy shoppers, or maybe we couldn’t find that one item we really needed.

But for one Woolworths customer, a recent trip to their local store turned out to be more confusing (and frustrating) than usual.

The customer posted on Reddit, a popular social media forum, to relay his experience while shopping at Woolies just recently.

He shared that after queuing at a manned checkout, the cashier asked him to bag the groceries into his shopping bags.

View attachment 8746
The customer was confused why they were asked to bag their own groceries – at a manned checkout. Credit: SHVETS production in Pexels

‘The cashier told me to bag groceries myself (had about $130 bucks worth). When questioned whether this was their job or COVID measure, the cashier responded by stating “it made the process faster”,’ they wrote in their post.

The customer’s post sparked a discussion in the comments section, and said that this experience left him ‘curious’.

‘I obliged but was left curious whether this is accepted, tolerated, and normal nowadays. I should also highlight this is not the self-checkout area,’ the customer continued.

One user wrote: ‘Coles and Woolworths charge 30 to 50 per cent more than ALDI, so they should be bagging for you. Personally, I choose to shop at ALDI and save that money.’

Another added: ‘Yeah, that would annoy me. If I wanted to bag my own groceries, I’d go to self-checkout or ALDI.’

View attachment 8747

A separate user commented: ‘I know everyone needs a job but if you can’t do your job accordingly then sorry get a new one…sorry you had to pack your own.’

To which the customer replied: ‘Would be more upsetting if an elderly or less-able person was asked to do this. But yes, it is their job.’

Others said that they’ve never been asked to bag their own items. However, if they see other shoppers waiting behind them, then they help bag the items and add that helping out is entirely their choice.

A cashier offered more insight on the matter: ‘I go faster when I pack myself. Why they thought you packing is faster is beyond me. I work at Woolies and really shouldn’t have asked unless you have dirty bags or something like that. We have a sign on our register to answer the question of packing bags saying the process is faster if we do it.’

‘In your defence, you do pay a slightly more premium price at Woolies to have your own groceries bagged at checkout. I used to do that job and believe me, the checkout worker you had would be in the wrong and could get into trouble for making you do your own groceries,’ they started.

But then offered another perspective: ‘However on the other hand…we are the only developed western country who makes staff bag customers groceries. But yeah, to each their own.’

‘Our checkout operators are expected to bag groceries at our manned checkouts if that’s the customers wish, as per our bagging policy.’

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths supermarket customer revealed that a cashier had asked them to pack their own groceries at a manned checkout.
  • In their post, the Reddit user said he was confused by the experience, and questioned whether this was now normal practice.
  • A Woolworths employee responded to the post, stating that there’s only one reason that customers may be asked to pack their own bags is if the bags are dirty.
  • Other Reddit users said the cashier’s request would frustrate them, but others agreed with the cashier, saying they preferred to pack their own bags.
What are your thoughts, folks? Do you agree that staff should pack your groceries at checkouts, or do you prefer doing it yourself? Let us know in the comments!
Well the reason we don't shop at ALDI is you have to pack your own goods, the checkout persons at Woolies are fast and pleasant, they make you feel welcome! If it's not broke, don't fix it. Get your Woolies Worth.

View attachment 8746

View attachment 8747

Key Takeaways

Around three months ago I twice experienced cashiers not willing to pack groceries. I use both Woolies and Coles so cannot accurately remember which store it was or if it was only the one store twice. I handed over my bag. Where the bag is usually hooked in place to accept groceries appeared to be closed or turned around so the bag stayed on the counter. The groceries were put in front of me and then I was asked to pay. No attempt was made to help me pack. This happened a second time and I thought it must have been the new rule of the stores.

View attachment 8746

View attachment 8747

Key Takeaways

Lyn Fleming

I have been asked in Woolies if I would like my bags packed, which I always answer yes. I went in earlier and the young lady didn’t even ask. She just happily packed my stuff. It sounds to me that the checkout operator who told the customer to pack their own bags should maybe find another career

View attachment 8746

View attachment 8747

Key Takeaways

If they ask me to pack my groceries while at a manned checkout there would have been $130 of groceries left and I would've walked out and gone elsewhere that's their job