Woolworths announces devastating news - about 500 jobs to be lost as butcher service shuts down for good

It's no secret that the retail sector has been suffering in recent years due to the immense economic pressure placed upon it by the COVID-induced crisis.

Regrettably, even giant retailers such as Woolworths have been feeling the heat.

And now, the supermarket chain has announced that they’re going to make an unprecedented move, effectively downsizing their meat departments in hundreds of stores across the country.

Woolies confirmed that the decision is going to be devastating for hundreds of employees in its stores nationwide as in-store butcher shops will be closing down for good by the end of March.

The move is expected to lay off 489 jobs.

At present, there are 300 Woolworths stores in Australia running with a butcher shop service. After the decision, it’s expected that these stores will only carry pre-packaged meat options in-store.

robinsons-retail-group-woolworths.jpg

Woolworths announced laying off almost 500 jobs after management decided to permanently shut down in-store butchers. Credit: Shutterstock.

A Woolworths spokesperson explained that customer habits have been shifting recently which prompted the move. In recent years, customers have seemingly opted for pre-packaged options more often than freshly cut meats from an in-store butcher shop.

The representative explained: 'We’ve recently conducted a review into our in-store butcher shops and found that they account for just four per cent of meat sales as customers continue to move towards our more convenient pre-packaged options.'

‘We have around 1,000 supermarkets [across Australia], and about 300 currently have butcher shops. We’ve made the difficult decision to close the majority of our remaining butcher counters over the coming months, with the exception of 50 stores where they are supported by the necessary customer demand.’

‘We deeply regret the impact of this decision on the team members who work in our butcher shops and we know many of them are well known by our regular customers.’

‘We’re very grateful for the contribution these team members have made and we’ll be offering redeployment to another role for those who are interested, or re-employment support for those who leave the business.’

‘Across all stores, we’ll continue to offer our customers high-quality fresh meat through our wide selection of pre-cut case-ready meats that are conveniently packaged to pick up on the go.’

85ee4e491db95552a6b3b3414fbfa7dc4d293c6e-161x229-x0y0w600h853.png

Woolworths claimed that there has been a shift in customer preference for pre-packaged meat over meat purchased from in-store butchers. Credit: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

It’s understood that Woolworths closely observed customer purchasing habits in thousands of stores over the recent months. In that time, they’ve noticed a definite and clear trend: customers favour pre-packaged meat products over freshly cut meats from an in-store butcher shop.

Only 10 per cent of shoppers opt for an in-store butcher shop as it seems that customers are largely satisfied with the conveniently packaged meat at other stores’ butcher counters.

Additionally, it was reported that only 50 in-store butchers will remain nationwide.

The supermarket giant said that the remaining in-store butcher shops have been selected as locations where their meat trade is supported by sufficient customer demand.

Around 200 team members who currently split their shift between the butcher shop and other areas of the store will have their rosters changed to only include shifts in other departments.

The option of being redeployed to another job within the supermarket group will be offered to other team members whose roles are deemed redundant as a result of the transformation.

Meanwhile, employees who do not want to be redeployed will be provided with free post-employment support which includes ‘individual career coaching, resume development, a job search plan, LinkedIn profile and interview coaching, connections to relevant employment and training opportunities in their local area and financial planning support'.

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths has announced that it will close the majority of its in-store butcher shops, resulting in 489 jobs lost.
  • Only 50 of the fresh service meat counters will remain open, with affected stores only selling pre-packaged options from now on.
  • Woolworths has seen a shift in customer purchasing habits, with in-store butcher shops only accounting for around 10 per cent of customers purchases.
  • Employees affected by the change will be offered post-employment support and access to counselling.

Members, while the shift towards pre-packaged meat is understandable, we at the SDC understand the need to keep jobs in Australia and the local economy going. This has been a sad situation and we hope affected workers can find support throughout this challenging period.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, do you think the shift in consumer preference for pre-packaged meat over butchered meat makes sense? Or do you prefer getting your meat supplies from local butchers?

Sponsored
No, it doesn't mean the end on the butcher. In fact owners and operators of retail butcheries will be congratulating themselves on their good fortune. With Woolworths out of the competition, there will be more consumer demand at the retail store, and an opportunity for retail butchers to again increase their, already, scandalous prices.

Bad news indeed for consumers.

Reactions: Jennylolo and Ricci
There is not many butcher shops around anymore.

I remember going in to our local butcher when I was young , there would be saw dust on the floor. The butcher always greeted us with a smile and knew our names.
Later when I had my own kids and went in to buy meat he would always give my sons a Frankfurt.

There just isn't this service anymore.
A friend owns a butchers in Dulwich Hill NSW and they do have that old customer service
Don’t know about other states but saw dust on the floor hasn’t been allowed for well over 25 years in Victoria. Health Department banned its use as many shops used it as an alternative to actual washing the floors.

• Sad
Reactions: Jennylolo and Ricci
It's no secret that the retail sector has been suffering in recent years due to the immense economic pressure placed upon it by the COVID-induced crisis.

Regrettably, even giant retailers such as Woolworths have been feeling the heat.

And now, the supermarket chain has announced that they’re going to make an unprecedented move, effectively downsizing their meat departments in hundreds of stores across the country.

Woolies confirmed that the decision is going to be devastating for hundreds of employees in its stores nationwide as in-store butcher shops will be closing down for good by the end of March.

At present, there are 300 Woolworths stores in Australia running with a butcher shop service. After the decision, it’s expected that these stores will only carry pre-packaged meat options in-store.

Woolworths announced laying off almost 500 jobs after management decided to permanently shut down in-store butchers. Credit: Shutterstock.

A Woolworths spokesperson explained that customer habits have been shifting recently which prompted the move. In recent years, customers have seemingly opted for pre-packaged options more often than freshly cut meats from an in-store butcher shop.

The representative explained: 'We’ve recently conducted a review into our in-store butcher shops and found that they account for just four per cent of meat sales as customers continue to move towards our more convenient pre-packaged options.'

‘We have around 1,000 supermarkets [across Australia], and about 300 currently have butcher shops. We’ve made the difficult decision to close the majority of our remaining butcher counters over the coming months, with the exception of 50 stores where they are supported by the necessary customer demand.’

‘We deeply regret the impact of this decision on the team members who work in our butcher shops and we know many of them are well known by our regular customers.’

‘We’re very grateful for the contribution these team members have made and we’ll be offering redeployment to another role for those who are interested, or re-employment support for those who leave the business.’

‘Across all stores, we’ll continue to offer our customers high-quality fresh meat through our wide selection of pre-cut case-ready meats that are conveniently packaged to pick up on the go.’

Woolworths claimed that there has been a shift in customer preference for pre-packaged meat over meat purchased from in-store butchers. Credit: TikTok/@woolworths_au.

It’s understood that Woolworths closely observed customer purchasing habits in thousands of stores over the recent months. In that time, they’ve noticed a definite and clear trend: customers favour pre-packaged meat products over freshly cut meats from an in-store butcher shop.

Only 10 per cent of shoppers opt for an in-store butcher shop as it seems that customers are largely satisfied with the conveniently packaged meat at other stores’ butcher counters.

Additionally, it was reported that only 50 in-store butchers will remain nationwide.

The supermarket giant said that the remaining in-store butcher shops have been selected as locations where their meat trade is supported by sufficient customer demand.

Around 200 team members who currently split their shift between the butcher shop and other areas of the store will have their rosters changed to only include shifts in other departments.

The option of being redeployed to another job within the supermarket group will be offered to other team members whose roles are deemed redundant as a result of the transformation.

Meanwhile, employees who do not want to be redeployed will be provided with free post-employment support which includes ‘individual career coaching, resume development, a job search plan, LinkedIn profile and interview coaching, connections to relevant employment and training opportunities in their local area and financial planning support'.

Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has announced that it will close the majority of its in-store butcher shops, resulting in 489 jobs lost.
  • Only 50 of the fresh service meat counters will remain open, with affected stores only selling pre-packaged options from now on.
  • Woolworths has seen a shift in customer purchasing habits, with in-store butcher shops only accounting for around 10 per cent of customers purchases.
  • Employees affected by the change will be offered post-employment support and access to counselling.

Members, while the shift towards pre-packaged meat is understandable, we at the SDC understand the need to keep jobs in Australia and the local economy going. This has been a sad situation and we hope affected workers can find support throughout this challenging period.

What are your thoughts on this? Better yet, do you think the shift in consumer preference for pre-packaged meat over butchered meat makes sense? Or do you prefer getting your meat supplies from local butchers?

I am in brisbane and have always gone to a butcher at stafford heights, their service & meat are first class, yes you pay a bit more, but you get what you pay for.
The woolworths store I go to, shut down their butchers section early last year, there is now only packaged meat
I wasn't aware, nor a few other people I know, that you could get meat straight from the butchers section. We thought they were just there to cut the meat & package it up

Reactions: Ricci
Thanks so much for this info. Sad to hear that staff have only completed a 'slicing' course compared to a qualified butcher. So correct that our meat is Australian. It actually states that on the package.
I had an issue once with a certain packet of chicken from Woolworths being a lower weight than stipulated.
I have electric Wedderburn scales that are accurate, so I could prove my point. I give my hat off to Woolworths as they said it wasn't legal to be underweight. They contacted their chicken packing source, and it hasn't been an problem since.
Have you noticed a lower case letter e next to a lot of weights on items recently? That e represents estimated and overcomes the legality of items being slightly underweight.

Attachments

• P1000978.JPG
    P1000978.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I really love my Woolies store. I have home delivery due to health issues but recently I have been visiting my local butcher which is a short-ish walk from home. I love the choices on display there and it's good to chat with the staff. I don't even look at the price as I can see what I would like. Unfortunately with Woolies, all you can see on the website is prepacked meat so there is no choice there. I am sad that Woolies has made this decision which I think might affect them more severely than they think.

Have you noticed a lower case letter e next to a lot of weights on items recently? That e represents estimated and overcomes the legality of items being slightly underweight.
No I haven't .. will check next time. Woolworths head office told me they are allowed to go a certain weight, but mine was below that so not legal.

Key Takeaways

I go to a local butcher.

Can you tell me why I can't buy Boiling Bacon any more?
Not many butchers actually make their own bacon. Various reasons, including expensive smoking machines and extra health regulations. I would suggest a really good specialty deli. Also, sadly boiling bacon seems to be a thing of the past, not much call for it anymore.

• Sad
Modified atmosphere packaging? Yes! However, i have never worked in a meat factory, i left that up to the robots.

I wonder who Woolies will get there packaged meat from, possibly Ireland like they do their bread. I dont trust them as it is all about profits not assistance to the customer. I want them to explain where they get the meat from and if it is not Australian, why not? Hopefully butchers will get more customers as the quality of meat is better from them and not pumped full of water or chemicals to make up the weight.
Ireland ????

Reactions: Ricci and Cheezil