Woolworths addresses shocking amount of cameras in one of its newest stores

The sight of security cameras in retail stores is nothing new, but for some shoppers at Woolworths, the number of cameras has become a point of contention and curiosity.

A recent photo shared by a customer on social media, showing a plethora of cameras in one of Woolworths' newest stores, has sparked a debate about privacy, surveillance, and the purpose behind these watchful eyes.

'Did Woolies spend all their profits on security cameras? I counted at least 10 cameras just in this area?' the customer asked.

The post sparked a flurry of responses, with some shoppers expressing discomfort at being 'treated like a criminal', while others speculated that the cameras were installed to monitor customer behaviour.

SDC 3.png
A customer was shocked to see the number of cameras in just one area at a Woolies store. Image source: Reddit.

'These track how long you stop in front of a certain product, how long you look at it. Which shelf you focus on, how you move between aisles, etc,' one user suggested.

'The fact they are also security cameras is just a bonus.'

In response to the online chatter, Woolworths has clarified the purpose of these cameras.

A spokesperson confirmed that the cameras are indeed closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras, installed for security purposes.

They explained that the cameras might appear more prominent due to the high ceilings in the new store.

'People are going to see them in every store,' the spokesperson added.

Retail Marketing Expert Professor Gary Mortimer supported Woolworths' statement and explained that the cameras aim to detect theft and ensure the safety of team members and customers.

'Theft is costing retailers over $9 billion each year, so it is unsurprising to see more and more retailers implementing technology to reduce crime,' he said.

'With newer supermarkets, the false ceilings have been removed, exposing cabling, plumbing and air conditioning equipment. Accordingly, there is a need to suspend such CCTV units on poles.'

He added that while CCTVs are often seen in the health and beauty aisles, 'shoppers may begin noticing these units in other areas throughout stores'.

'Sadly, retail theft can happen anywhere within a store—at the self-service area, or in quiet locations around the perimeters of a store.'

Last month, Woolworths debunked a 'joke' about new 'spy cameras' in a store's fruit section, explaining that the flashing lights were not cameras but lights to help personal shoppers quickly identify the next item on their list.

In 2023, Woolworths began trialling new camera technology to monitor stock levels, adding more than 500 cameras in one NSW store to take pictures every hour.
Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths shopper noticed an unusually high number of CCTV cameras at one of the stores, which sparked discussions on surveillance.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson clarified that the cameras are standard CCTV used for security purposes and may appear more prominent in stores with high ceilings.
  • Retail marketing expert Professor Gary Mortimer supported the use of CCTV for theft prevention, citing the annual cost of retail theft in Australia.
  • Woolworths previously clarified that flashing lights in a store's fruit section were not cameras but indicators to help personal shoppers.
What are your thoughts on the use of CCTV cameras in supermarkets? Do you feel safer, or does it make you uncomfortable? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Glen44 and posh1410
Sponsored
about Woolworth's I think they hike their prices anyway, to cover extra surveillance and theft its a vicious circle because the price are so high people can't afford the prices so they steel it. Just a fact. but i think they do treat you badly too i just went into to get some money out yesterday and i was told i couldn't get any out unless i bought something. so you're always going to pay one way or the other.

If you'll only shop in a supermarket or store without security you're going to to go awfully hungry.
You could be creative. My grandparents had a vege garden and chooks. Did not live on a farm, but 1 acre. As migrants they knew how to survive. They even had a cow in the backyard and she butter, bread, there was nothing my grandparents couldn’t do! I cannot remember nana ever in a supermarket. Now that that was REAL free range food!

We do most of our shopping in ALDI now because their prices are much cheaper, What Woolworths call a special is the standard price on items in ALDI. For example Jordan cereal is normal price Woolworths $9.50 on special $4.50 when I purchased it ALDI it was $4.50 normal price.

about Woolworth's I think they hike their prices anyway, to cover extra surveillance and theft its a vicious circle because the price are so high people can't afford the prices so they steel it. Just a fact. but i think they do treat you badly too i just went into to get some money out yesterday and i was told i couldn't get any out unless i bought something. so you're always going to pay one way or the other.
That has been their policy recently, fair enough I guess, they're not a bank afterall

• Haha
Reactions: Midnight Toker
And yet Woolworths posted a profit of 600 million! Yes,they’re doing it tough,
That is a lot of money, but at the end of the day how much do you expect them to make. They have literally thousands and thousands of stores and they obviously all need to make a profit, otherwise they will start closing stores and then we will all be complaining about that.
Can you imagine how much more their losses would-be with no security.

• Haha
That has been their policy recently, fair enough I guess, they're not a bank afterall
thats the same as paying to get your money out at a ATM i suppose you could buy something little like a Fredo frog. all extra though where i live ther is hardly anywhere else near by . I did find Out that Bunnings will let you get cash out for free. I also found out that all choice stores charge you a surcharge even on a debit card they claim to be cheaper, but those surcharges add up especially if you don't have much dosh.

You could be creative. My grandparents had a vege garden and chooks. Did not live on a farm, but 1 acre. As migrants they knew how to survive. They even had a cow in the backyard and she butter, bread, there was nothing my grandparents couldn’t do! I cannot remember nana ever in a supermarket. Now that that was REAL free range food!
Where did she get her staples to make bread,must have bought it somewhere. Probably no supermarkets back then, just the corner store.
And how many people these days have an acre, and which
Council would let you have a cow, hard enough to have chickens
Different days.
I live in the country, I have chickens, large vegie garden, make my own bread, no cow though.
Still need to do a regular shop .

thats the same as paying to get your money out at a ATM i suppose you could buy something little like a Fredo frog. all extra though where i live ther is hardly anywhere else near by . I did find Out that Bunnings will let you get cash out for free. I also found out that all choice stores charge you a surcharge even on a debit card they claim to be cheaper, but those surcharges add up especially if you don't have much dosh.
Totally agree, and can you imagine if we become cashless we will be slugged heaven knows how much everywhere and everytime we use our card.
Will add up to hundreds of dollars a year.

I don’t even notice cameras where ever I am. I just go about my business. Is it a sign of a guilty conscience when some complain of being watched? As long as people are doing the right thing then there’s nothing to worry about
No it’s not a sign of a guilty conscience ! Feeling uncomfortable because you are being watched is normal for a lot of us ! It’s like having your photo taken by a stranger. I’ve never stolen anything in my life and I mostly shop online as I don’t drive but when I do have to go into supermarkets I think all this parafanalia is overkill give us back manned check outs this is so impersonal now.

We do most of our shopping in ALDI now because their prices are much cheaper, What Woolworths call a special is the standard price on items in ALDI. For example Jordan cereal is normal price Woolworths $9.50 on special $4.50 when I purchased it ALDI it was $4.50 normal price.
Aldi my favorite if there is no Aldi im not going . LOL

I don’t even notice cameras where ever I am. I just go about my business. Is it a sign of a guilty conscience when some complain of being watched? As long as people are doing the right thing then there’s nothing to worry about
I agree. Cameras are everywhere, in elevators, hospitals, petrol stations, carparks, churches, public transport, people have them in their homes, the list goes on. It seems that people get their knickers in a knot when they are in supermarkets. I couldn't care less.

Reactions: DLHM
Tthink its overkill. For sure at registers to protect staff from robbery but I don't like the idea of my every movement within the store being monitored.. I'd rather shop somewhere else
You are being monitored on every street corner. Almost every house, pub and restaurant now feels the need to have them. How are you going to avoid them. Thank heavens more perpetrators are caught by police as they seem to be able to track getaway cars and those that assault others on the street

• Haha
What has that to do with security cameras. They were not even invented
The attitude that as one is innocent and therefore one has nothing to fear is the attitude that leads to the modern abject complacency about those very civil liberties that my father volunteered to protect by signing up to fight the Nazis during WW2. The constant monitoring by security cameras is the feature that underpins Gorge Orwell's novel, 1984. Of course, if one is a good Party Member...........?

And people froth at the mouth about vaccination programmes impinging on civil liberties!

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch