Woolworths’ sign sparks controversy and confusion amid theft concerns

In a world where trust and community values are held dear, especially among our seasoned Australian seniors, it's disheartening to see how long some will take advantage of others.

Retail theft is a growing concern across the nation, and it's not just the small corner shops that are feeling the pinch.

Even grocery giants like Woolworths are grappling with this costly issue, which is estimated to drain Australian businesses of a staggering $9 billion annually.

In a Sydney Woolworths branch, the battle against shoplifting took a contentious turn when a sign declaring a ban on school bags during certain hours was erected at the store's entrance.

The move responded to the alarming spike in retail theft offences.

1725584336731.png
Woolworths Sydney removed the school bag ban after public backlash. Credit: Reddit

According to the state's Department of Communities and Justice, New South Wales alone has surged by 47.5 per cent since October 2021.

The informally printed and laminated sign was met with a mix of confusion and concern from shoppers.

Photos of the sign circulated online, prompting debates about the logistics and legality of such a ban.

'Are Woolworths going to take responsibility for stolen items from the bags [left behind]?' one shopper questioned.

Others pointed out the measure's impracticality, with one commenter noting, 'I think this strategy is dumb because staff don't get paid enough to enforce this.'

Parents, in particular, were vocal about the safety of their children's belongings, with one stating, 'No way my son's leaving his bag with expensive laptop unattended at the door.'

Legal experts chimed in, suggesting that a 'no school bags' policy could inadvertently lead to indirect age discrimination.

Woolworths was quick to respond to the backlash.

A spokesperson for the supermarket giant confirmed that the sign was removed and clarified that the company's policy regarding school bags had not changed.

Woolworths, however, remained tight-lipped about what initially prompted the sign's placement.

The issue of retail theft is not isolated to NSW. In South Australia, police have reported a 30 per cent increase in shoplifting offences within a year, with 1,455 incidents in March alone.

The National Retail Association suggested that a mere 20 per cent of retail crimes are ever reported to the police.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths removed a sign banning school bags during certain hours at one of its Sydney stores following public backlash.
  • The informal sign sparked concern and debate over its enforcement and potential for age discrimination.
  • The move highlights the ongoing issue of shoplifting, significantly impacting Australian retailers, with an estimated annual cost of $9 billion.
  • Woolworths affirmed there had been no change to their policy regarding school bags, and the sign was removed after inquiries were made.
Have you noticed an increase in anti-theft measures in your local stores? Is banning school bags a step too far or a necessary precaution? Share your opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
I walked into my local Coles recently with a large shopping under my arm. I was not dressed neatly and my hair was untidy (was due for a haircut). The items I needed were all over the store, didn't need a trolley.
In the second isle I was aware that there was staff member following me, red shirt gave him away, I had some fun with him, pretended to go to the next isle them doubled back two isles. When I had everything I needed I walked towards him and said "You are wasting your time with me, mate, I'm paying for this, but, go to the "lolly" isle there are four school kids there stuffing there pockets with chocolates."
And NO I wasn't a decoy!
A week later I went to same store and was treated with a lot of respect, I was dressed neatly and had had a haircut, I felt like royalty.

Stealing is stealing, no ifs or buts.
If you are a low life theif you deserve to be arrested.
Everything you steal, insurances go up ergo up go the prices of all goods.
You may need someone to read this as I presumecyou are really stupid.

Does this mean that only school kids steal? They along with adults probably do but actually signalling them like this is dreadful.
I read that a store overseas there is a machine that scans your goods st the store anything not paid for sets off an alarm.

When I was a teenager (60 years ago), all bags had to be left on a shelf inside the entrance before entering the supermarket. Any bags taken in were searched by checkout operators on the way out. There was very little shoplifting in those days!

I walked into my local Coles recently with a large shopping under my arm. I was not dressed neatly and my hair was untidy (was due for a haircut). The items I needed were all over the store, didn't need a trolley.
In the second isle I was aware that there was staff member following me, red shirt gave him away, I had some fun with him, pretended to go to the next isle them doubled back two isles. When I had everything I needed I walked towards him and said "You are wasting your time with me, mate, I'm paying for this, but, go to the "lolly" isle there are four school kids there stuffing there pockets with chocolates."
And NO I wasn't a decoy!
A week later I went to same store and was treated with a lot of respect, I was dressed neatly and had had a haircut, I felt like royalty.
Perception can be a problem.

Stealing is stealing, no ifs or buts.
If you are a low life theif you deserve to be arrested.
Everything you steal, insurances go up ergo up go the prices of all goods.
You may need someone to read this as I presumecyou are really stupid.
Agree whoLe heartedly but I don’t think one set of humans should be singled out.

Many years ago Hubby and I were doing our shopping and at the check our there was a young mother with Grandmother? and baby in a stroller in front of us.
Any way we were behind these people and they paid for declared shopping. As they got the other side of checkout there was a security guard waiting and he stepped forward and insisted they remove the baby from the pram and lift up the cover.
That poor baby had been lying on several trays of cold steaks. - it wouldn't have done baby or meat much good - nor mother and grandmother as the police were there too.
What sort of low-life could do that to an innocent baby ?
In retrospect, I have wondered what happened, to them.
Probably a smack on the wrist! Surely they get enough money from Gov for this family to buy food. They would be getting pensions for baby and adults (If neither were working)

Reactions: Sucoo and Ricci
Why is this a news story, I'm 62 and signs like this have existed my entire life.

Reactions: Sucoo
Apart from the doc- clearly stated as point no 1 in key takeaways- school bags banned!
And AGAIN, where are they saying only school kids steal? It says they are banning school bags in the shop, that does not mean others do not steal. Thewy didn't say "only school kids steal" They are doing something about one group that is obviously a problem, never said others do not steal.

Reactions: Sucoo