Woolies worker goes the extra mile for deaf couple

“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”

You may have heard that quote before. That was from the famous Greek fabulist and storyteller, Aesop, and it still holds true to this day.

It can be seen in this heartwarming story of a young employee who went far above and beyond just to make a pair of deaf customers feel more welcome in the supermarket.

ektlhtDRd2tDmzKn1If0VqsIo2kou8Ukruz67pVEwOI9ix00rd0WjLKfPACPPlBn5B03V1TQmJJRCpd_2HuLLTYnRYeESRBh4Cr8Dk-8gs9UZQa-Xx7JADIZ6IyUlE0lNl0P5ebB

Casey learned Australian sign language so she could communicate with a deaf couple. Credit: 7News.
Casey, a 22-year-old assistant manager in the deli department of a local Woolies, has been spending several hours of her personal time just to learn a special skill.

Because of a particular couple who have been regular customers of the store for several years, she decided that she would learn Auslan – the sign language used by the majority of the Australian Deaf Community.

Apparently, the couple are both deaf and have been having difficulties communicating inside the supermarket. So, Casey went out of her way to learn sign language just to make them feel more welcome.

She began learning the language by watching tutorial videos on YouTube, starting with simple greetings such as “Hi”, “How are you?”, “How may I help you?”, and many more. She also learned about supermarket-specific phrases, such as knowing the different weight volume measures.

When Casey finally decided to show the couple her progress and communicate with them through Auslan, it was a memorable moment she would never forget.

“I saw her eyes light up and speed up signs with her hands - it was a pretty special experience,” said the young Woolies worker.

She said her experience with the deaf couple and sign language, in general, inspired her to develop her skills even more. She is hoping to be able to hold longer conversations with them in the future.

She is also hoping that her little gesture would help more people with disabilities to feel more welcomed in their community.

Aaron Fuller, the store manager at Maryborough Woolworths where Casey is working, has recognised the young girl’s commitment to her work, and said that the whole store is extremely proud of her.

If, like Casey, you’re also interested in learning Auslan, you can start by learning the signed alphabet by watching this video below:

Credit: Abby Leah.

Sponsored
Several years ago I was volunteering in an aged care facility where there was a deaf lady. I noticed she spent a lot of time on her own and was left out of most group activities. So I made it my mission to try and include her. I spent so many hours with her, learning the very basics of Auslan from her, such that we had some form of communication. The change in her was huge, her whole demeanor brightened. Such a small thing to do with huge consequences. Casey, you have no idea how much your small act of kindness will mean to them.

How wonderful she is.

I guess I had not thought of the difficulties some people encounter especially with the wearing of masks, many people get by with the assistance of lipreading even though they may not be totally deaf, but the masks stop that.

I have found myself that a lot of people do not realize or bother to increase their volume of speech to counteract the lesser sound that is coming from their voice with a mask on.

You may have heard that quote before. That was from the famous Greek fabulist and storyteller, Aesop, and it still holds true to this day.

It can be seen in this heartwarming story of a young employee who went far above and beyond just to make a pair of deaf customers feel more welcome in the supermarket.

ektlhtDRd2tDmzKn1If0VqsIo2kou8Ukruz67pVEwOI9ix00rd0WjLKfPACPPlBn5B03V1TQmJJRCpd_2HuLLTYnRYeESRBh4Cr8Dk-8gs9UZQa-Xx7JADIZ6IyUlE0lNl0P5ebB

Casey learned Australian sign language so she could communicate with a deaf couple. Credit: 7News.
Casey, a 22-year-old assistant manager in the deli department of a local Woolies, has been spending several hours of her personal time just to learn a special skill.

Because of a particular couple who have been regular customers of the store for several years, she decided that she would learn Auslan – the sign language used by the majority of the Australian Deaf Community.

Apparently, the couple are both deaf and have been having difficulties communicating inside the supermarket. So, Casey went out of her way to learn sign language just to make them feel more welcome.

She began learning the language by watching tutorial videos on YouTube, starting with simple greetings such as “Hi”, “How are you?”, “How may I help you?”, and many more. She also learned about supermarket-specific phrases, such as knowing the different weight volume measures.

When Casey finally decided to show the couple her progress and communicate with them through Auslan, it was a memorable moment she would never forget.

“I saw her eyes light up and speed up signs with her hands - it was a pretty special experience,” said the young Woolies worker.

She said her experience with the deaf couple and sign language, in general, inspired her to develop her skills even more. She is hoping to be able to hold longer conversations with them in the future.

She is also hoping that her little gesture would help more people with disabilities to feel more welcomed in their community.

Aaron Fuller, the store manager at Maryborough Woolworths where Casey is working, has recognised the young girl’s commitment to her work, and said that the whole store is extremely proud of her.

If, like Casey, you’re also interested in learning Auslan, you can start by learning the signed alphabet by watching this video below:

This is wonderful. I believe most Australians would be aghast to learn that there are NO nursing homes for the deaf. You will find one for every culture, but not the deaf. The deaf have had an entire life of not hearing a baby giggle, or the sound of a brook, or the rumble of thunder and now they have to live in a nursing home where they cannot communicate. What a terrible way to live out your final years.

• Sad
Reactions: KatKop and Ricci

See not all of this younger generation are ME people. What a lovely young women she is. I bet her family are very proud of her.

Reactions: Ricci

Wow what a incredible thing for Casey to do. She will carry that with her for the rest of her life, I only hope her parents are very proud of what she has done to bring a smile to 2 strangers. Well done Casey

Reactions: Ricci