Woolies shoppers want an ‘easier’ to use item from the 70s brought back – do you agree?

Woolworths is reportedly phasing out its 15-cent plastic bags in all of its stores across the nation.

Instead of plastic bags, customers will have to buy either the 20-cent paper or 99-cent fabric bags available at the checkout. Unless, of course, they bring their own reusable shopping bags.

While bringing your own reusable shopping bag to the supermarket is still the most environmentally friendly option, some customers can't help but wonder what would happen if the brown paper bags from the good old days were still widely used today…

In a post on the popular Facebook group Old Shops Australia, a Woolies customer shared a photo of the store's paper bag from the 1970s, complete with its unique retro design.

Almost immediately, a flood of comments from fellow regular Woolies shoppers came in, expressing how much they had missed the bag and wishing it could be brought back.

R8r18TSDbp1lPXRfekgO9YbqpHp33YuVmHKCgk7W2omiED2ihflyuoaT1TDhEgnZLhtc5pe_v9VT1M88aEOdBmeKdGJ1HD_Ftkl95zEhKP2VC411M61IGAQ66aROkLCW4ZKGW33NAC1RIApbyqVLsjY

Woolworths shoppers say a 1970s item is 'easier' to use and want it brought back. Credit: Facebook.

'Bring them back, please!' one user wrote in the comments section, with another person adding, 'Yes, bring back these sturdy paper bags. They are so much easier on the shoulders.'

A third user also said, 'Better than plastic bags, and cats love them!'

'Yep, Flemings had them too in the 60s and 70s. Tough bags,' said a fourth.
A fifth person echoed the sentiment as well and also mentioned how, back then, supermarkets didn't charge you for the paper bags for your groceries. 'Who knew we already had it right all those years ago…' he said.

Aside from the nostalgia of the vintage packaging (it even featured the old logo of Woolworths' own brand of products), some shoppers also expressed how they miss having a person pack their groceries for them.

'In those days, they even gave an extra job to a person to pack and one to run the register,' one shopper commented.

Another person agreed and even shared that they used to be one of the packers in the supermarket when they were young. 'I was one of the packers at BCC when I was 13 in 1980. I remember wrapping all frozen and refrigerated food in a newspaper as well…'

One of them even admitted that packing these bags had been their very first job.

4ja183hNTPPL5NQBP1PQ7givG2qgAltQcVcOGCIijJv7SZ9gBNdBIiQAtrNIMTFLGz0CMjqw9FjYkKf5lvYqoS4TT9y5QxX4eLlTPzOWlH73aasuFLE4LVUBzChh_6Kl1hY56kui3VjGkhGYJ620g14

Woolworths has switched to using locally manufactured paper bags. Credit: Woolworths.

Last year, Woolworths rolled out locally-made paper bags in more than 400 stores across Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia.

They are now available in all stores in all states this year, and according to Woolworths Supermarkets Managing Director, Natalie Davis, the feedback of customers with the re-introduction of paper bags has been nothing but positive.

The paper bags are composed of 70 per cent recycled paper and 30 per cent virgin paper to provide a stronger structure capable of carrying up to 6 kilograms of groceries.

Compared to the ones that were used in the 1970s, these are apparently much more durable. This means that frozen or wet items won't fall out the bottom anymore!

The Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification has confirmed that all of the paper used in the bags come from responsible sources (PEFC).

Because all new paper is sourced from plantations, customers can be confident their purchases are supporting environmentally friendly forestry practices.

As of today, Woolies shoppers can choose from four types of carry bags: the 20-cent paper bag, Woolworths' Bag for Good, reusable plastic bags made from 80 per cent recycled materials, and foldable fabric bags.

So what are your thoughts, folks? When shopping at Woolies, which of their carry bags do you prefer? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Well, now that I have a stock of the reusable fabric bags I’ll keep using them till they fall apart. But I wonder how long they’ll take to break down once they have to be disposed off. I miss the plastic bags as I used them for lining my bins. It’s ironic that the paper bags were discontinued to save the trees, as plastic was considered more environmentally friendly back then.

Woolworths is reportedly phasing out its 15-cent plastic bags in all of its stores across the nation.

Instead of plastic bags, customers will have to buy either the 20-cent paper or 99-cent fabric bags available at the checkout. Unless, of course, they bring their own reusable shopping bags.

While bringing your own reusable shopping bag to the supermarket is still the most environmentally friendly option, some customers can't help but wonder what would happen if the brown paper bags from the good old days were still widely used today…

In a post on the popular Facebook group Old Shops Australia, a Woolies customer shared a photo of the store's paper bag from the 1970s, complete with its unique retro design.

Almost immediately, a flood of comments from fellow regular Woolies shoppers came in, expressing how much they had missed the bag and wishing it could be brought back.

R8r18TSDbp1lPXRfekgO9YbqpHp33YuVmHKCgk7W2omiED2ihflyuoaT1TDhEgnZLhtc5pe_v9VT1M88aEOdBmeKdGJ1HD_Ftkl95zEhKP2VC411M61IGAQ66aROkLCW4ZKGW33NAC1RIApbyqVLsjY

Woolworths shoppers say a 1970s item is 'easier' to use and want it brought back. Credit: Facebook.

'Bring them back, please!' one user wrote in the comments section, with another person adding, 'Yes, bring back these sturdy paper bags. They are so much easier on the shoulders.'

A fifth person echoed the sentiment as well and also mentioned how, back then, supermarkets didn't charge you for the paper bags for your groceries. 'Who knew we already had it right all those years ago…' he said.

Aside from the nostalgia of the vintage packaging (it even featured the old logo of Woolworths' own brand of products), some shoppers also expressed how they miss having a person pack their groceries for them.

'In those days, they even gave an extra job to a person to pack and one to run the register,' one shopper commented.

Another person agreed and even shared that they used to be one of the packers in the supermarket when they were young. 'I was one of the packers at BCC when I was 13 in 1980. I remember wrapping all frozen and refrigerated food in a newspaper as well…'

One of them even admitted that packing these bags had been their very first job.

4ja183hNTPPL5NQBP1PQ7givG2qgAltQcVcOGCIijJv7SZ9gBNdBIiQAtrNIMTFLGz0CMjqw9FjYkKf5lvYqoS4TT9y5QxX4eLlTPzOWlH73aasuFLE4LVUBzChh_6Kl1hY56kui3VjGkhGYJ620g14

Woolworths has switched to using locally manufactured paper bags. Credit: Woolworths.

Last year, Woolworths rolled out locally-made paper bags in more than 400 stores across Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia.

They are now available in all stores in all states this year, and according to Woolworths Supermarkets Managing Director, Natalie Davis, the feedback of customers with the re-introduction of paper bags has been nothing but positive.

The paper bags are composed of 70 per cent recycled paper and 30 per cent virgin paper to provide a stronger structure capable of carrying up to 6 kilograms of groceries.

Compared to the ones that were used in the 1970s, these are apparently much more durable. This means that frozen or wet items won't fall out the bottom anymore!

The Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification has confirmed that all of the paper used in the bags come from responsible sources (PEFC).

Because all new paper is sourced from plantations, customers can be confident their purchases are supporting environmentally friendly forestry practices.

As of today, Woolies shoppers can choose from four types of carry bags: the 20-cent paper bag, Woolworths' Bag for Good, reusable plastic bags made from 80 per cent recycled materials, and foldable fabric bags.

So what are your thoughts, folks? When shopping at Woolies, which of their carry bags do you prefer? Let us know in the comm

So what are your thoughts, folks? When shopping at Woolies, which of their carry bags do you prefer? Let us know in the comments!
I say stores should bring back the area at front of stores where customers could use empty boxes to pack there groceries . I still do this when possible.

I have been online with Woolworths for 6 months now. I pay no delivery fee and also get all paper bags free. I paid an annual fee of $107 and this service is brilliant. I do recycle paper bags. They are very strong and have great handles. I am now unable to shop at the stores due to ill health and have great service from all the delivery people to my home.

They were rubbish. I feel no nostalgia for them at all; not even as a former Flemings packer back in 1971. They had very little tensile strength and fell apart at even the suggestion of rain on the way home. I particularly dreaded 'car service' on wet days; 3 or 4 paper sacks in the trolley, out to the carpark and try to keep them dry while the (usually female, middle-aged or older) driver farted about in their ten-gallon handbag looking for the keys (no remote/central locking back then!), then trying to load at least the bag containing the eggs before the paper sacks disintegrated. Nope! Not missed at all.

Paper bags are used at Woolworths in NT. BIODEGRADABLE

Reactions: Nettles and Ezzy
I have been online with Woolworths for 6 months now. I pay no delivery fee and also get all paper bags free. I paid an annual fee of $107 and this service is brilliant. I do recycle paper bags. They are very strong and have great handles. I am now unable to shop at the stores due to ill health and have great service from all the delivery people to my home.
I’d never heard of this - that’s a fantastic service
Why don’t they promote it I wonder?

Reactions: Ezzy and Sloopy

I didn't love the paper bags. a little bit of condensation and the whole thing fell apart. It's funny how things come full cycle, We stopped the paper bags to save the Amazon rain forest destruction so we went to plastic, now we are being asked to use them again. Presumably the rainforest has regrown and ready to supply wood to make the paper again !!!!!

Sorry! I don’t like them at all. IGA also have had them in Tasmania. Maybe they are cheaper to produce??

Reactions: Ezzy
Well, now that I have a stock of the reusable fabric bags I’ll keep using them till they fall apart. But I wonder how long they’ll take to break down once they have to be disposed off. I miss the plastic bags as I used them for lining my bins. It’s ironic that the paper bags were discontinued to save the trees, as plastic was considered more environmentally friendly back then.
You can recycle your green shopping bags in the soft plastic collection point, REDcycle in some states.

I didn't love the paper bags. a little bit of condensation and the whole thing fell apart. It's funny how things come full cycle, We stopped the paper bags to save the Amazon rain forest destruction so we went to plastic, now we are being asked to use them again. Presumably the rainforest has regrown and ready to supply wood to make the paper again !!!!!
I believe they are made from recycled paper.

What's wrong with the old " string bag " I still have my mother's bag. Haven't the heart to get rid of it. They could take alot of groceries, they had the round plastic handles. They were from alot earlier than the 70's, more like the 50's. Ladies used to make their own bags back then