Woolies shopper highlights a 'big problem' with checkout cameras

Recently, a Woolworths customer has highlighted an issue with the AI cameras being used at Australia’s East Coast stores, and it’s a ‘big problem’ for shoppers.

A shopper named Pnuks took to social media on Friday to share details of his experience at Woolworths, where he noticed something concerning about the cameras above the checkouts.

At each checkout, customers must enter their PIN code or tap their phone when using PayPass, but as Pnuks quickly realised, the camera is positioned directly above this personal information.

'Yes, they can see every content on your phone, that’s a big problem,' he said before showing an example of how much area the camera captures of the checkout.

photo (16).jpg
Pnuks pointed out that the self-checkout cameras can see the contents of someone’s phone. Credit: @pnuks/TikTok

He believes it is enough to pick up someone’s card details.

The video garnered the interest of Woolies shoppers, with one person commenting: ‘I never thought of that. The thing saw me fumble in my bag for my phone and thought I was stealing.’

‘Same for putting in your card pin. Shouldn't be able to record that part,’ a second person said.

‘It’s an invasion of privacy; they’ve already got cameras all through the shops, and now they can see our pins,’ another shopper pointed out.

Unfortunately, this isn’t customers' only issue regarding the retailer using AI technology. Customers have complained that the cameras are being used in 'bad faith', while shoppers feel they are under constant surveillance.

The cameras were introduced to 250 stores last year to prevent shoppers from scanning the wrong or pricey items as cheaper products and to make shopping ‘more convenient and seamless’.

‘While most customers do the right thing at our self-serve check-outs, we’re all busy, and mistakes can easily happen,’ the Woolworths’s spokesperson said.

Woolworths has promised that any faces and pin pads have been blurred out and that the footage is used for training purposes.

On top of that, customers became frustrated when they learnt the trolleys had to be emptied entirely for payment to be processed.

If the trolley hadn’t been emptied fully before checking out, the screen would flash the message: 'Have you left any items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.'

We shared an article about this rollout at Woolies early this year, and our members have different opinions about these cameras.

Member @jkara5 wrote: ‘I don’t have a problem with it. If it stops people stealing and, hence, pushing prices up, it’s a good thing. Usually, you don’t have to wait more than 30 seconds for help, or you the other checkouts that are manned.’

‘I don’t have a problem with it–we are all on CCTV many times a day, and if it reduces theft in Woolies, that’s a good thing. If you are honest at the self-serve checkouts, you won’t have a problem. Also, my Woolies has a big notice at the entrance advising customers of the new technology, so if you don’t like the rules at self-serve checkouts, use the other checkouts,’ Member @rathompson pointed out.

Member @Simplelife shared their frustration: ‘Yet another invasion of privacy in Australia. It’s a sad world where businesses treat all customers like possible criminals. It's so weird that you can’t take a photo of your child or grandchild at their swimming lesson due to the “privacy” of the other children who may get in the shot, but we can’t even go Grocery shopping without having our presence caught on camera and recorded for god knows who to see.’

Member @Ricci said: ‘What improvements could be made in regard to self-checkouts? Easy, take them out and put some actual humans in.’

You can watch Pnuk’s video here:

Key Takeaways
  • Concerns about the surveillance cameras at Woolworths self-service checkouts have been raised.
  • A shopper named Pnuks raised the concern that the positioning of the cameras could lead to the capturing of personal information, such as card details.
  • This is not the first time Woolworths has been criticised for using AI technology, with some customers feeling they're under constant surveillance.
  • Woolworths insists that the overhead cameras prevent people from scanning the wrong items and make shopping more convenient; the retailer also said faces and pin pads are blurred out in the captured footage.

Members, although the AI cameras are intended to make the checkout process easier, it’s concerning to know your personal information and card details could be at risk. We hope that, if you’ve experienced any issues, you’ll be able to make your concerns or complaints heard.

Do you prefer the self-checkout counters at Woolies? What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Recently, a Woolworths customer has highlighted an issue with the AI cameras being used at Australia’s East Coast stores, and it’s a ‘big problem’ for shoppers.

A shopper named Pnuks took to social media on Friday to share details of his experience at Woolworths, where he noticed something concerning about the cameras above the checkouts.

At each checkout, customers must enter their PIN code or tap their phone when using PayPass, but as Pnuks quickly realised, the camera is positioned directly above this personal information.

'Yes, they can see every content on your phone, that’s a big problem,' he said before showing an example of how much area the camera captures of the checkout.

View attachment 28432
Pnuks pointed out that the self-checkout cameras can see the contents of someone’s phone. Credit: @pnuks/TikTok

The video garnered the interest of Woolies shoppers, with one person commenting: ‘I never thought of that. The thing saw me fumble in my bag for my phone and thought I was stealing.’

‘Same for putting in your card pin. Shouldn't be able to record that part,’ a second person said.

‘It’s an invasion of privacy; they’ve already got cameras all through the shops, and now they can see our pins,’ another shopper pointed out.

Unfortunately, this isn’t customers' only issue regarding the retailer using AI technology. Customers have complained that the cameras are being used in 'bad faith', while shoppers feel they are under constant surveillance.

The cameras were introduced to 250 stores last year to prevent shoppers from scanning the wrong or pricey items as cheaper products and to make shopping ‘more convenient and seamless’.

‘While most customers do the right thing at our self-serve check-outs, we’re all busy, and mistakes can easily happen,’ the Woolworths’s spokesperson said.

Woolworths has promised that any faces and pin pads have been blurred out and that the footage is used for training purposes.

On top of that, customers became frustrated when they learnt the trolleys had to be emptied entirely for payment to be processed.

If the trolley hadn’t been emptied fully before checking out, the screen would flash the message: 'Have you left any items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.'

We shared an article about this rollout at Woolies early this year, and our members have different opinions about these cameras.

Member @jkara5 wrote: ‘I don’t have a problem with it. If it stops people stealing and, hence, pushing prices up, it’s a good thing. Usually, you don’t have to wait more than 30 seconds for help, or you the other checkouts that are manned.’

‘I don’t have a problem with it–we are all on CCTV many times a day, and if it reduces theft in Woolies, that’s a good thing. If you are honest at the self-serve checkouts, you won’t have a problem. Also, my Woolies has a big notice at the entrance advising customers of the new technology, so if you don’t like the rules at self-serve checkouts, use the other checkouts,’ Member @rathompson pointed out.

Member @Simplelife shared their frustration: ‘Yet another invasion of privacy in Australia. It’s a sad world where businesses treat all customers like possible criminals. It's so weird that you can’t take a photo of your child or grandchild at their swimming lesson due to the “privacy” of the other children who may get in the shot, but we can’t even go Grocery shopping without having our presence caught on camera and recorded for god knows who to see.’

Member @Ricci said: ‘What improvements could be made in regard to self-checkouts? Easy, take them out and put some actual humans in.’

Key Takeaways

• Concerns about the surveillance cameras at Woolworths self-service checkouts have been raised.
  • A shopper named Pnuks raised the concern that the positioning of the cameras could lead to the capturing of personal information, such as card details.
  • This is not the first time Woolworths has been criticised for using AI technology, with some customers feeling they're under constant surveillance.
  • Woolworths insists that the overhead cameras prevent people from scanning the wrong items and make shopping more convenient; the retailer also said faces and pin pads are blurred out in the captured footage.

Members, although the AI cameras are intended to make the checkout process easier, it’s concerning to know your personal information and card details could be at risk. We hope that, if you’ve experienced any issues, you’ll be able to make your concerns or complaints heard.

Do you prefer the self-checkout counters at Woolies? What do you think of this story? Let us know in the comments below!

It is easy to say use the manned checkouts, the trouble with that is so few are staffed leading to long waiting times, If using the self-service, cover your hand while putting in the pin, most probably accused of trying to fudge something.

Reactions: Robbo3006

View attachment 28432

Key Takeaways

I don't use them, even if I have to wait to be served, most of the time it's quicker anyway. All caused by thieving scumbags and the way the world is nowadays, entitled people think they deserve everything free.

I’ve just shown this article to my husband although we never use self-serve. Told him to always cover his card when paying at manned check-outs and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, cover when entering his bank card PIN. We have, so far, never had a breach of our bank account but that doesn’t mean any of our details or our faces have not been compromised. Just lucky we’ve lost no money.

View attachment 28432

Key Takeaways

I don't like the idea of cameras seeing card info and pin numbers. i don't use my phone for paying as i don't always have wifi (depend on free when out and can't be bothered connecting unless it is an emergency) as i see it as a security breach in itself to use the phone to pay like a card.
But having to empty the trolley right out is new to me as it hasn't hit my local store..yet. I'd have a problem with it because i always have bags in the trolley to begin with that come with me to the store. not only a bag packed full of bags to use but from other stores go to before there since i don't drive and go to a couple other places before making my way to woollies. While i let them check the bags if they are over a A4 sheet of paper size because the conditions of entry say so. I am not going to necessarily take everything out of the trolley that i brought into the store with me. They don't have the right to force you to if you have things you brought with you into the store anyway.
Plus i don't appreciate them treating me like a criminal. I empty out anything i have put into the trolley once i enter the entry gate into the store (as usual the trolley bay is outside this gate), they all get scanned, there's cameras throughout the store anyway that should be enough without spying and capturing everyone for facial rec software and whatever else. And did they ever think that if they put their customers before profits a bit more then they wouldn't have such a problem with the stealing anyway and ultimately would make more money? No they want us to spend but allow them to treat us all like criminal $h%t!!!! Coles is pretty much the same with cameras on the DIY checkouts.
I always treat any eftpos like the ATM and cover the card and the pin anyway, but you only have to look at the reciept (paper or phone app) to see they get a certain amount of info from the card anyway. If it's over $100 i often set it to pay $99 at a time then tap for however much over is needed no matter how often i have to tell it the amount to put it through that way i only have to cover the card from the camera's and not worry about pins as well.

View attachment 28432

Key Takeaways

I say again and I will say it till my face turns blue...STEER CLEAR COLES & WOOLLIES

I don't like the idea of cameras seeing card info and pin numbers. i don't use my phone for paying as i don't always have wifi (depend on free when out and can't be bothered connecting unless it is an emergency) as i see it as a security breach in itself to use the phone to pay like a card.
But having to empty the trolley right out is new to me as it hasn't hit my local store..yet. I'd have a problem with it because i always have bags in the trolley to begin with that come with me to the store. not only a bag packed full of bags to use but from other stores go to before there since i don't drive and go to a couple other places before making my way to woollies. While i let them check the bags if they are over a A4 sheet of paper size because the conditions of entry say so. I am not going to necessarily take everything out of the trolley that i brought into the store with me. They don't have the right to force you to if you have things you brought with you into the store anyway.
Plus i don't appreciate them treating me like a criminal. I empty out anything i have put into the trolley once i enter the entry gate into the store (as usual the trolley bay is outside this gate), they all get scanned, there's cameras throughout the store anyway that should be enough without spying and capturing everyone for facial rec software and whatever else. And did they ever think that if they put their customers before profits a bit more then they wouldn't have such a problem with the stealing anyway and ultimately would make more money? No they want us to spend but allow them to treat us all like criminal $h%t!!!! Coles is pretty much the same with cameras on the DIY checkouts.
I always treat any eftpos like the ATM and cover the card and the pin anyway, but you only have to look at the reciept (paper or phone app) to see they get a certain amount of info from the card anyway. If it's over $100 i often set it to pay $99 at a time then tap for however much over is needed no matter how often i have to tell it the amount to put it through that way i only have to cover the card from the camera's and not worry about pins as well.
Paranoia taking over, that is so OTT.

View attachment 28432

Key Takeaways

I hate the assumed inference that you have stolen something. Sure some do, I don't (I even stop at stop signs on the road). if ever I am asked have I forgotten something, I leave everything there, including the unpaid bill, and walk out. Fuck with me Fuck with them.

I hate the assumed inference that you have stolen something. Sure some do, I don't (I even stop at stop signs on the road). if ever I am asked have I forgotten something, I leave everything there, including the unpaid bill, and walk out. Fuck with me Fuck with them.
No need for your last statement. People are taking this security issue to heart saying they don’t like being treated like criminals. Have any of you been specifically called aside and been told you are stealing when you have not done so?! I don’t think so, and if you don’t have anything to hide, what’s the problem if asked to show your bags?

So have you asked the question of C, W stores - “ I’m not a criminal, why do you treat me like this?” It would be more prudent to ask and assume you will get an answer you probably will not like - “can I be exempt as I’m not a criminal, check that other man/woman. They are stealing, not me” . Then we’ll find ourselves in a queue waiting for them to separate us into 2 queues - the bad & the good - and then we’re at the shops for 3-4 times the length of time just to get into & out of the store. AND once more you will be whingeing about delays shopping.

I DO AGREE with these cameras being able to view our correct scanning BUT ALSO DO NOT AGREE with the store being able to read account numbers and PIN numbers. Does anyone know at what point of the scanning C, W, staff or management etc are able to record bank account and PIN details or have had their bank accounts scammed by these stores? I’m pretty sure this is all conjecture and assumption it is being done behind the scenes, so to speak. If anyone has this evidence, come forward and prove it instead of shooting one’s mouth off without proof. Stores make their profit from sales and we all pay for it - the good, the bad AND the ugly. No one gets anything for free and that is life.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
No need for your last statement. People are taking this security issue to heart saying they don’t like being treated like criminals. Have any of you been specifically called aside and been told you are stealing when you have not done so?! I don’t think so, and if you don’t have anything to hide, what’s the problem if asked to show your bags?

So have you asked the question of C, W stores - “ I’m not a criminal, why do you treat me like this?” It would be more prudent to ask and assume you will get an answer you probably will not like - “can I be exempt as I’m not a criminal, check that other man/woman. They are stealing, not me” . Then we’ll find ourselves in a queue waiting for them to separate us into 2 queues - the bad & the good - and then we’re at the shops for 3-4 times the length of time just to get into & out of the store. AND once more you will be whingeing about delays shopping.

I DO AGREE with these cameras being able to view our correct scanning BUT ALSO DO NOT AGREE with the store being able to read account numbers and PIN numbers. Does anyone know at what point of the scanning C, W, staff or management etc are able to record bank account and PIN details or have had their bank accounts scammed by these stores? I’m pretty sure this is all conjecture and assumption it is being done behind the scenes, so to speak. If anyone has this evidence, come forward and prove it instead of shooting one’s mouth off without proof. Stores make their profit from sales and we all pay for it - the good, the bad AND the ugly. No one gets anything for free and that is life.
"Well said" that should quieten the hordes,

More staff on counters and less spying on costumers treating us like thieves .
Woolworths= invasion of privacy
Shop elsewhere then..you obviously are feeling a lil bit guilty there...

Profit or not, people will still steal regardless :(
I see this person has never worked in retail to understand. .secondly pretty sure he'd be wanting to make a profit as a business too...what a silly comment..🤣🤣

I see this person has never worked in retail to understand. .secondly pretty sure he'd be wanting to make a profit as a business too...what a silly comment..🤣🤣
Reality check: I have worked in retail and aware of all of this but it is a sad fact, some people will still steal from any business, whether the business is making a profit or not, and if given the opportunity to do so regardless.