SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
mOiOz

mOiOz

Jun 10, 2022
WOOLIES 10% DISCOUNT DISCRIMINATION

Soon after raving about the monthly 10% grocery discount one can get with Woolies - they cancel it!!!!
And..., after we have signed up.
To make matters worse... this offer ONLY applies to "in-shop purchasers"!!!
So, the disabled and elderly, who, not only have to pay extra for delivery, and who are already
unable to produce the vast amount of items that are "in-shop purchasers" ONLY...
NOW have to forfeit the 10% discount....too!!!!
THIS IS BLATANT DISCRIMINATION - and to the people who need it most. :mad::mad::mad:

Soon after raving about the monthly 10% grocery discount one can get with Woolies - they cancel it!!!!
So, the disabled and elderly, who, not only have to pay extra for delivery, and who are already
unable to produce the vast amount of items that are "in-shop purchasers" ONLY...
THIS IS BLATANT DISCRIMINATION - and to the people who need it most. :mad::mad::mad:
I totally agree with you. It's bad enough that there is now also a minimum spend on click & collect. I can understand why, but I can't justify the increase on a pension. C & C was my weekly outing and my independence. Maybe re-think the minimum spend for pensioners Woolies as many of us are not that mobile & find C & C covenient. Yeah you can get it delivered...but that's another additional charge. Tried that for a short time, broken eggs, squashed bread, missing items...no thanks.

We signed up in good Faith to an offer we believed to have been offered in good Faith by Woolworths, only to be betrayed AND discriminated against. Vulnerable, aged, immune compromised, time poor families ALL signed up and PAID for the discounts instore but most IMPORTANTLY their direct to car boot service FOR OBVIOUS reasons, only to be discriminated against for the very reason we signed up; car boot service and discounts.
This act of misleading information and commercial DISCRIMINATION needs to be tested…. CHOICE? OMBUDSMAN? Relative Ministers and Agencies ???

100% agree. I've been using the online (delivery) service since Covid isolations began, and subsequently moved my car insurance to Woolies to take advantage of the 10% monthly discount. And now they just up and cancel it! They've probably found it's costing them too much. Not sure whether they're actually in breach of the insurance agreement - insure your car and get 10% per month off a Woolies shop - it was certainly not specified as to how the shop was to be done!
One other thing I'd noticed, after doing an online shop and applying the discount, when I made a subsequent in-store shop during the same month, I was offered the discount at the check-out!

Last edited:

I would suggest you go back and read the T&C's of the ADVERTISING campaign that was clearly shown to be an introductory promo for a limited time ONLY. I'm not quite sure what % people think food retailers are making from the shelf price, 10% is well above what the average mark up from the price they pay to suppliers. Average is less than 5% on food products. Not too sure of anyone that reads this would be happy to provide millions of dollars of stock sitting on shelves & be happy with a 2.5% return. Don't get me started on the entitlement that exists in this country with, people walking into a store, eating and drinking as they 'sample' everything as a free lunch buffet only to walk out the store without paying for 1 thing. Guarantee we're not going to see the question asked on this site on what people think about that.

Last edited:
I would suggest you go back and read the T&C's of the ADVERTISING campaign that was clearly shown to be for a limited time ONLY. I'm not quite sure what % people think food retailers are making from the shelf price, 10% is well above what the average mark up from the price they pay to suppliers. Average is around the 6% on food products.
Yes, but no specification is written to "online ONLY" ...!!!

I would suggest you go back and read the T&C's of the ADVERTISING campaign that was clearly shown to be for a limited time ONLY. I'm not quite sure what % people think food retailers are making from the shelf price, 10% is well above what the average mark up from the price they pay to suppliers. Average is around the 6% on food products.
“Food” retailers as opposed to *supermarket giants, where *their profit margins (clearly the enticement and responsibility to shareholders ) are enhanced by shelf space and other “costs” demanded of suppliers. However the issue here is discriminatory and misleading practices, NOT their profit margins surely .

I would suggest you go back and read the T&C's of the ADVERTISING campaign that was clearly shown to be an introductory promo for a limited time ONLY. I'm not quite sure what % people think food retailers are making from the shelf price, 10% is well above what the average mark up from the price they pay to suppliers. Average is less than 5% on food products. Not too sure of anyone that reads this would be happy to provide millions of dollars of stock sitting on shelves & be happy with a 2.5% return. Don't get me started on the entitlement that exists in this country with, people walking into a store, eating and drinking as they 'sample' everything as a free lunch buffet only to walk out the store without paying for 1 thing. Guarantee we're not going to see the question asked on this site on what people think about that.
I must admit that I saw nothing to suggest that the discount was time-limited in availability. But that does not explain why it's been removed from online purchases, but is still available in-store? Even if the reason is fairly obvious - online spends would likely be considerably higher than in store (certainly is in my case!)

Reactions: GranniCaz and mOiOz

Totally agree!
I have difficulty walking and started a Woolworths delivery unlimited subscription about a year ago, which cost $107.00 for the annual subscription. This have averaged out at being something like $2.80 per delivery, which is not bad.
But I also took an annual subscription to Everyday Extras (or whatever it is called), which at the time cost $59.00 and this of course provided me with a 10% discount on my biggest shop every month. This was well worth it as I have saved about $300.
However now that they are stopping the 10% discount on online purchases, it means that if I still want the discount (which I do) I have to do my biggest monthly shop in store, starting from this month.
Really not happy about this!

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: GranniCaz and mOiOz