Woman returns from trip and finds something “off” with her dog – now she’s suing her in-laws

Sharing her story on the forum site Reddit, one woman from the US revealed that her boyfriend’s parents did something very “cruel” to her pet dog, while the pup was in their care.

In her post, the woman introduced her pet Puca, a beautiful spaniel puppy that she rescued after an accident. She took Puca in and she has been the pup’s fur-parent ever since.

Recently, one of the woman’s family members passed away, which left her no choice but to fly to Ireland to attend the funeral. Her boyfriend was coming with her but unfortunately, they couldn’t take Puca along for the trip.

So she decided to leave the dog under her in-law’s care. Little did she know that once she returned from the trip, she would discover something “cruel” and “shocking” had been done to Puca.

GlV_ItsB6zWFKsNdEJghQDTonpF1nzqNkug0SikHPaW8KWqm_aaoFk7CV0Ck1gMVxAQamRbDfZ8VkFLdBX-4vpBtXt08xK-dY2PxmLRtb4w50WHcDzCA9OgBJ5JBpjjDOmaE_5EJ

The woman noticed something felt “off” with her dog. Credit: Busybee-CR/Getty Images.
When the couple returned after a month, the woman immediately recognised that something was “off” with her dog.

Puca seemed ‘off’ and acted a little bit different, and the woman noticed that some identifying marks were also missing. At this point, she had a strong suspicion that the dog her in-laws had was not the same as the one she had left with them.

So the woman accused her boyfriend’s parents of doing something with her dog. “I lost my cool and started yelling at them but they denied everything and said I was just stressed and tired,” she said.

After a very heated argument, the older couple buckled and revealed that they traded Puca for a “better-trained” dog since she was “just too much work”.

This was when the woman really got angry with her in-laws.

“Give me my dog back or I will sue.”

The outraged woman shared that she had begun legal proceedings against her boyfriend’s parents over the “cruel” incident.

CbVEqMAMYtPMpaENTFmDLZyGJFj08rruL354JWUnPXzRgOa6RWJ9dUZ_gHoa3OekUNPfJ7OjVy6NOIvcwiHFrJ26dkwax5AG8Y7mO2cFQDaG2DXPoPYV7U_TNfjbJ8ibNM33yy_F

The woman felt she couldn’t trust her boyfriend’s parents anymore. Credit: laflor/Getty Images.
In a lucky break, two and a half months after the fight, Puca was unexpectedly returned to the woman.

“I got a call from a vet saying they had a dog that was registered to me,” she recalled. “Apparently the family who took her in didn’t know anything.”

The family gave Puca back to the woman, and she said the puppy had a fantastic time with a loving family while she was “gone”.

However, the woman said there is now a huge rift in her relationship with her boyfriend’s parents because of the incident. “I feel like I can’t trust my boyfriend’s parents anymore and feel like this would be a wake-up call.”

Now, she’s asking fellow users on the forum site whether she should continue with the lawsuit.

Several users on Reddit rallied behind her and supported her decision to continue the lawsuit.

“They were supposed to care for your animal, not sell and replace it because they didn’t like how it behaved,” one user said.

“If you withdraw, it shows them that what they did was okay. And it wasn’t.”

A second user agreed and wrote: “P***ed doesn’t even begin to describe what I’d be feeling if someone did this to my pet.”

“I bet you were actually feeling murderous. Most definitely keep that lawsuit in place,” they added.

What are your thoughts, folks? Should the woman continue to sue, or not?

Sponsored
Woman returns from trip and finds something “off” with her dog – now she’s suing her in-laws

Sharing her story on the forum site Reddit, one woman from the US revealed that her boyfriend’s parents did something very “cruel” to her pet dog, while the pup was in their care.

In her post, the woman introduced her pet Puca, a beautiful spaniel puppy that she rescued after an accident. She took Puca in and she has been the pup’s fur-parent ever since.

Recently, one of the woman’s family members passed away, which left her no choice but to fly to Ireland to attend the funeral. Her boyfriend was coming with her but unfortunately, they couldn’t take Puca along for the trip.

So she decided to leave the dog under her in-law’s care. Little did she know that once she returned from the trip, she would discover something “cruel” and “shocking” had been done to Puca.

GlV_ItsB6zWFKsNdEJghQDTonpF1nzqNkug0SikHPaW8KWqm_aaoFk7CV0Ck1gMVxAQamRbDfZ8VkFLdBX-4vpBtXt08xK-dY2PxmLRtb4w50WHcDzCA9OgBJ5JBpjjDOmaE_5EJ

The woman noticed something felt “off” with her dog. Credit: Busybee-CR/Getty Images.
When the couple returned after a month, the woman immediately recognised that something was “off” with her dog.

Puca seemed ‘off’ and acted a little bit different, and the woman noticed that some identifying marks were also missing. At this point, she had a strong suspicion that the dog her in-laws had was not the same as the one she had left with them.

So the woman accused her boyfriend’s parents of doing something with her dog. “I lost my cool and started yelling at them but they denied everything and said I was just stressed and tired,” she said.

After a very heated argument, the older couple buckled and revealed that they traded Puca for a “better-trained” dog since she was “just too much work”.

The outraged woman shared that she had begun legal proceedings against her boyfriend’s parents over the “cruel” incident.

CbVEqMAMYtPMpaENTFmDLZyGJFj08rruL354JWUnPXzRgOa6RWJ9dUZ_gHoa3OekUNPfJ7OjVy6NOIvcwiHFrJ26dkwax5AG8Y7mO2cFQDaG2DXPoPYV7U_TNfjbJ8ibNM33yy_F

The woman felt she couldn’t trust her boyfriend’s parents anymore. Credit: laflor/Getty Images.
In a lucky break, two and a half months after the fight, Puca was unexpectedly returned to the woman.

“I got a call from a vet saying they had a dog that was registered to me,” she recalled. “Apparently the family who took her in didn’t know anything.”

The family gave Puca back to the woman, and she said the puppy had a fantastic time with a loving family while she was “gone”.

However, the woman said there is now a huge rift in her relationship with her boyfriend’s parents because of the incident. “I feel like I can’t trust my boyfriend’s parents anymore and feel like this would be a wake-up call.”

Now, she’s asking fellow users on the forum site whether she should continue with the lawsuit.

Several users on Reddit rallied behind her and supported her decision to continue the lawsuit.

“They were supposed to care for your animal, not sell and replace it because they didn’t like how it behaved,” one user said.

A second user agreed and wrote: “P***ed doesn’t even begin to describe what I’d be feeling if someone did this to my pet.”

“I bet you were actually feeling murderous. Most definitely keep that lawsuit in place,” they added.

How downright ignorant & selfish. Yes go sue them. No I would not be trusting these two again. By the way what happened to the replacement pup? I do hope you didn't leave it with them. Oe mistake & they may euphemism the poor thing.

Why continue the stress of sueing your relatives? You have had enough worry and thank goodness you got your little pup back safely. It was a terrible thing that they did to it, and you're entitled to be angry I know. What I think myself is that if you just enjoy loving your little one, feel (as you are) so happy to have it back, an grateful to the people who looked after Puca, it would be the best for you and Puca. Dogs pick up people's feelings, and I'm sure you'd rather be happy with him and put the law suit aside. These are costly affairs and it isn't worth your time and money. Also I'm willing to bet that your relatives have had a huge shock when you found out what they'd done and will I hope learn from your furious reaction. This is just my view. Julie

There is absolutely no excuse for that behavior, I'm so happy the family is complete again as you have the pet back let it go and stay happy 😊

How downright ignorant & selfish. Yes go sue them. No I would not be trusting these two again. By the way what happened to the replacement pup? I do hope you didn't leave it with them. Oe mistake & they may euphemism the poor thing.
No, you have your dog back safe and sound. Don’t let revenge take over your life. If your relationship with your boyfriend proceeds then those people will be part of your life forever. I would never leave your beloved dog with them ever again though.
Forgive but don’t forget

I think your better off without your inlaws, Swapping the dog was bad enough but lying about it to your face believing you were to stupid to notice is beyond belief.
I'd be concerned about your partner as well if he knew what was going on or does not take your side on this matter.

Definitely continue with the legal action. What a terrible thing to do to the poor pup. I would have very limited interaction with the in-laws. Just wondering what her partners opinion was??

You could forgive & forget but, with parents like that I would be weary entering into a relationship with the boyfriend ….blood is thicker than water.From your letter you make no mention of his interests in their actions …Sue em …a continued relationship with the boyfriend will end in misery

I would sue and also wipe them from my life, if the bf doesn't understand I'd wipe him too. Would they do this to your children one day? What rude horrible people. So glad you got your pup back, I hope the replacement pup ended up in a good home also

I would not have sued them. But I would have been absolutely livid with anger. How dare they? I treat people like that with contempt. But my relationship with them would be over. I am unsure if I would have ever forgiven them.
But this article does not state what was her boyfriend's reaction? Did he make his opinion known to his parents? Or is he one of those who thinks that this was just an animal, what is the big fuss about?
This is where the strength of the relationship is measured. I would be carefully reviewing various aspects of the relationship with the boyfriend. Sure you don't expect him to break off relationship with his parents, but he should have let his parents know the angst and despair this event caused.
It is a complex issue but suing them is not quite my thing.

Agree with @Senor - suing seems like such an 'American' response (though I don't know if the woman in question was American or not, so maybe that's an unfair stereotype on my part).

But I would certainly be cutting them out of my life... I don't think it's possible to come back from a breach of trust this severe.

• Angry
Reactions: Tervueren and Ricci

Agree with @Senor - suing seems like such an 'American' response (though I don't know if the woman in question was American or not, so maybe that's an unfair stereotype on my part).

But I would certainly be cutting them out of my life... I don't think it's possible to come back from a breach of trust this severe.
It says in the article she was from the US.

All I can say is that the boyfriend must be well trained, otherwise the parents might have got rid of him too!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I probably wouldn't continue with the lawsuit, but I would be unable to either forgive or forget, and would not wish to have any further interactionwith them. If the boyfriend expects anything different to that he would join them in the category of "people I used to know".