Woman recounts 'extreme pain' after hot water bottle accident

In the chilly embrace of winter, many of us turn to the comforting warmth of a hot water bottle to fend off the cold.

It's a time-honoured tradition, especially among us who feel the chill a bit more.

What happens when this seemingly innocuous household item becomes a source of severe pain and danger?

A mum shared her harrowing tale and a warning for those who continue to do this practice.

Melbourne local Vanessa Pouthier suffered excruciating burns after using a hot water bottle to stay warm.

Little did she know, this decision would lead to 'extreme pain I've never known before,' as she described.

Vanessa was relaxing on her sofa with the hot water bottle on her lap when it suddenly split open, scalding her with boiling water.

The burst left her with severe burns, which required immediate medical attention.

compressed-pexels-hot water.jpeg
Hot water should be handled with caution, and water bottles should be checked thoroughly to avoid accidents. Image Credit: Pexels/Katrin Bolovtsova

Her husband and daughter called paramedics as she performed first aid in the shower.

The aftermath of the incident was a long and painful journey.

Vanessa was admitted to the leading burns hospital, The Alfred, where she underwent two surgeries, received skin grafts, and spent time in the intensive care unit.

Despite the trauma, she felt grateful for the level of care she received and acknowledged that she was 'in excellent hands'.

Burns clinical nurse Mel Neely from The Alfred highlighted the gravity of such injuries, noting that the hospital treats at least 50 patients annually for bottle burns.

'We often see people admitted to hospital for weeks, require multiple surgeries and grafting and lead them to permanent risk of scarring,' Neely said.

So, what can we do to prevent such a distressing event?

It's crucial to fill hot water bottles with hot—not boiling—water.

Avoid direct skin contact, and one should never lean, roll, or press against the bottle, as it can split and burst.

Moreover, hot water bottles are not everlasting—they come with an expiry date and should be replaced annually.

Nurse Neely also recommended using heat bags.

These alternatives can provide the same warmth without the associated risks.

While we seek comfort in the little things that help us through the colder months, safety should be our top priority.

Check your hot water bottles for signs of wear and tear, and consider safer alternatives to stay warm without the risk.
Key Takeaways

• Melbourne mum Vanessa Pouthier was severely burnt when her hot water bottle burst on her lap, leading to surgeries and time in the ICU.
  • Burns clinical nurse Mel Neely stated that The Alfred treats at least 50 patients annually for hot water bottle burns, which could lead to permanent scarring.
  • To minimise the risk of burns, Neely recommended filling hot water bottles with warm water, avoiding direct skin contact, and replacing bottles annually.
  • Health professionals also suggested using heat bags as a safer alternative.
Have you or someone you know experienced a similar incident? What measures do you take to stay safe while keeping warm? Share your stories and tips with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
We had to get rid of an expensive mattress due to a burst rubber hot water bottle as the stain was terrible and my wife just could not live with it. My grandmother lived in the country in the UK and she would put a house brick in her coal fired oven and then wrap it in newspaper before she put it in her bed.

Doesn't take long to warm up after jumping into bed. I did have heated blanket at one time but got rid of it have a heat bag but not used it this year yet. The temperature is dropping been zero here couple times so far haven't succumbed

Reactions: Gsr and Littleboy8
Do people realize heat packs placed in microwaves have caught fire. The constant cooking of the filling eventually burns and can catch fire.
Spot on! Those so called wheat bags have caused much damage to kitchens over the years.

Advice from New South Wales Fire And Rescue:-

Wheat bags can ignite, and are not designed to replace hot water bottles for warming beds.
Regularly check your wheat bag for signs of wear and tear or scorching. With age the fillings dry out and become combustible.

Source: https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.ph...ignite, and,fire ring Triple Zero Immediately.

Spot on! Those so called wheat bags have caused much damage to kitchens over the years.

Wheat bags can ignite, and are not designed to replace hot water bottles for warming beds.
Regularly check your wheat bag for signs of wear and tear or scorching. With age the fillings dry out and become combustible.

Source: https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=9047#:~:text=Wheat bags can ignite, and,fire ring Triple Zero Immediately.
I’ll stick to my heat pack thanks it’s called a fat cat (not so little anymore)🤣meow.

Source: https://www.fire.nsw.gov.au/page.php?id=9047#:~:text=Wheat bags can ignite, and,fire ring Triple Zero Immediately.
I hope people don't start wrapping hot house bricks in newspaper, seems a bit irresponsible, could also catch fire. just needs a bit of oily paper.
Like a friend I had, took hot tea towels out of the dryer and folded and placed into linen cupboard. The combustible heat caused a fire in the linen cupboard, from greasy residue in the cloths.

Reactions: Littleboy8 and Gsr
What a horrific experience. I don’t use a hot water bottle. Have an electric blanket. And a heater. I don’t like being cold and it is very easy to make a heat bag. You can make it long or oblong, use it for a stiff neck or warm up the bed. You just sew. a bag with strong material and fill it with grain. I got mine from agriculture feed shop. Heat in the microwave and it’s perfect for fixing stiff necks / knees / hips on these cold nights

Reactions: Gsr
I haven’t used a hot water bottle for 52 years. When I was 16 years old, I filled my hot water bottle with hot water from the tap, which was very hot, placed it in my bed just below my pillow. I got into bed pushing my hot water bottle down the bed with my feet so it would end up keeping my feet warm. It burst & all the hot water went all over my lower legs, burning them. Unfortunately my mother gave me some Savlon, antiseptic cream & told me to spread it all over the burns generously. Which is, as I now know, was completely the wrong thing to do, blisters formed very quickly. The pain was horrendous. She then called our local hospital I think & they advised her to remove the cream immediately & get me into a fairly tepid shower for a while. I then went to the hospital & had my legs dressed with special bandages & had that done daily for a while. Luckily, my scars were quite mild, just a slight discolouration for a number of years. So now I would never ever use or recommend the use of a hot water bottle for anyone, including animals. My 18 year old cat has a little electric heat pad in her basket, which she loves. She misses her brother who passed away 2 years ago & they always slept together & kept each other warm. I also put a soft toy about the same size as her brother in with her.

We dont use hot water bottles, electric blankets or heat packs. We use cotton sheets all year as flannelette causes my hubby’s asthma to play up when the fluff off the sheets gets up his nose. Luckily on really cold nights we can afford to run our ducted air conditioner in living areas and our bedroom for a couple of hours at night and in the mornings which warms the rooms and takes the chill off the sheets. It doesn’t take long to warm the bed up to nice and cosy once we snuggle together in it. We do have solar panels and a battery so that helps us with our power costs.

I haven’t used a hot water bottle for 52 years. When I was 16 years old, I filled my hot water bottle with hot water from the tap, which was very hot, placed it in my bed just below my pillow. I got into bed pushing my hot water bottle down the bed with my feet so it would end up keeping my feet warm. It burst & all the hot water went all over my lower legs, burning them. Unfortunately my mother gave me some Savlon, antiseptic cream & told me to spread it all over the burns generously. Which is, as I now know, was completely the wrong thing to do, blisters formed very quickly. The pain was horrendous. She then called our local hospital I think & they advised her to remove the cream immediately & get me into a fairly tepid shower for a while. I then went to the hospital & had my legs dressed with special bandages & had that done daily for a while. Luckily, my scars were quite mild, just a slight discolouration for a number of years. So now I would never ever use or recommend the use of a hot water bottle for anyone, including animals. My 18 year old cat has a little electric heat pad in her basket, which she loves. She misses her brother who passed away 2 years ago & they always slept together & kept each other warm. I also put a soft toy about the same size as her brother in with her.
Does anyone squeeze the air out first before putting the top on?. When l was a teenager l once picked up a really hot poker l had been poking the fire with l received a really nasty burn.l got a bowl and filled it with cold water from the tap and as it was winter in the UK and the water was freezing.l just kept filling the bowl up and keeping my hand in it.Next day l was using my hand like normal.My grandad who was the only person in at the time just said 'silly bugger'

Does anyone squeeze the air out first before putting the top on?. When l was a teenager l once picked up a really hot poker l had been poking the fire with l received a really nasty burn.l got a bowl and filled it with cold water from the tap and as it was winter in the UK and the water was freezing.l just kept filling the bowl up and keeping my hand in it.Next day l was using my hand like normal.My grandad who was the only person in at the time just said 'silly bugger'
My mum swore by using hot water bottles but emphasised to always squeeze out the air at the top before closing.

I hope people don't start wrapping hot house bricks in newspaper, seems a bit irresponsible, could also catch fire. just needs a bit of oily paper.
Like a friend I had, took hot tea towels out of the dryer and folded and placed into linen cupboard. The combustible heat caused a fire in the linen cupboard, from greasy residue in the cloths.
😮 really that’s terrible I couldn’t even imagine using a brick that’s just wierd.🙀

Have never used a hot water bottle.
When the cold weather comes, I change the bedspread for the doona, and, when it's really cold the weighted blanket goes on top. I love it...hubby hates it. Just as well he's in a hospital style bed now because I wasn't about to give it up for anything.
I'm one of those odd folk who doesn't mind getting into a cool bed and let my body heat do the work. Winter is my favourite season for sleeping. So much better than trying to cool down through the night.

Have never used a hot water bottle.
When the cold weather comes, I change the bedspread for the doona, and, when it's really cold the weighted blanket goes on top. I love it...hubby hates it. Just as well he's in a hospital style bed now because I wasn't about to give it up for anything.
I'm one of those odd folk who doesn't mind getting into a cool bed and let my body heat do the work. Winter is my favourite season for sleeping. So much better than trying to cool down through the night.
I’m with you cold bed you soon warm up and I’ve got 4 thick blankets on my bed I love the weight on me plus my cat hates the doona.🤣

Reactions: Ezzy and DLHM