Woman orders TV on Facebook Marketplace but receives odd items instead

In the age of online shopping, many have had their fair share of strange experiences.

But for one Adelaide woman, her recent purchase on Facebook Marketplace took a bizarre turn that left her scratching her head in disbelief.

Debbie, a resident of Craigmore, thought she had scored a great deal when she found a brand-new TV listed on Facebook Marketplace.

The seller claimed he had won the TV in a raffle and was looking to sell it.

SDC 3.png
A woman bought a $550 TV on Facebook Marketplace but received bizarre items instead. Image source: Shutterstock.

Debbie agreed to the asking price of $550 and arranged for the seller to drop off the TV at her home.

However, when she opened the box expecting to find her new television, she was met with a bewildering assortment of items.

Instead of a TV, the box contained a bag of kitty litter, two books, a hammer, and a packet of sugar. The items were carefully packed to mimic the weight of a TV, leaving Debbie utterly flabbergasted.

The incident, which took place around 11:30 am, was captured on Debbie's CCTV.

The footage shows the seller, a man driving a red Ford, offering to carry the box into her house.

After accepting the cash, he quickly drove off, leaving Debbie with her peculiar assortment of items.

The man's Facebook profile has since been deleted, leaving no trace of his online presence.

Debbie took to social media to share her strange experience.

It is understood that the South Australia Police is currently investigating the incident.

In similar news, a young mum from Queensland was left speechless after selling a piece of old furniture on Facebook Marketplace.

According to her, she put up an old workbench online for $50, and it wasn't long before a potential customer came knocking.

Roisin appeared in a video and recalled that after she gave her address, the customer arrived with his wife to collect the item.

That was when his strange behaviour began. Instead of handing over the $50 for the workbench, the couple said, 'Thank you so much for your generosity', loaded it into their trailer and drove away without paying.

Despite feeling scammed, she laughed off the incident since she needed to get rid of it for her upcoming move.

You can read more about this incident here.
Key Takeaways
  • An Adelaide woman was scammed on Facebook Marketplace and received random items instead of a TV.
  • Debbie paid $550 for what she thought was a new TV, but the box contained a bag of kitty litter, books, a hammer, and sugar.
  • The scam took place during a daylight exchange, and the man responsible was caught on CCTV.
  • South Australian Police are investigating the incident.
Have you ever experienced a strange or disappointing online shopping experience? Share your stories with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I bought 3 pair of shoes from what I thought was "Williams Shoes" website that was on Facebook and it looked legit as I had bought shoes from them before. When the shoes didn't arrive after expected date I email them twice and both times they said that the shipment was on it's way.
Well shipment did arrive but what I received was a ring box with a very very cheap crappy ring that looked like it came from a kids play set. Needless to say this was the first time I was scammed and hopefully the last. I will check and double check the website when I order things now.

Reactions: DLHM
Why wouldn't you look in the box?
At the very least to check that everything was in there and not damaged. Foolish.
And the other woman....get the money first. Dah.
I was selling a boat recently and had a couple of dodgy inquries. Checked their FB profile. One was in Sth America, the other Eastern Europe. So I blocked them.

Why wouldn't you look in the box?
At the very least to check that everything was in there and not damaged. Foolish.
And the other woman....get the money first. Dah.
I was selling a boat recently and had a couple of dodgy inquries. Checked their FB profile. One was in Sth America, the other Eastern Europe. So I blocked them.
You need to be vigilant when buying or selling on Marketplace...check the other persons profile, and always get the money b4 handing over the goods.

I bought what I thought would be an over the sink rack that could fit dishes, glasses, hang tea towels, hold the cloth, plug dishwasher liquid etc. Bought 2 cause the second one was at a reduced price. What I got was a small green vege drainer. I complained and sent photos but was eventually ignored. Then did a scammers search and found many more of us that ordered the same item and yes, we all received the same little green drainer. I now do scammer search BEFORE I order anything. :/

Reactions: DLHM
Thanks for the warning. I’ve recently joined Facebook, mainly because some small charities have contact details on there, but think I’ll now stay away from Marketplace. I have browsed & couldn’t believe some of the extremely worn out looking stuff on there.

Ahh fb. I don’t bother with companies that only have face book websites to me they are too lazy to set up a legitimate website and to top it off fb asks me to sign in to look at them.

Ahh fb. I don’t bother with companies that only have face book websites to me they are too lazy to set up a legitimate website and to top it off fb asks me to sign in to look at them.
Apparently some charities do this because of costs associated with advertising. It’s more important to put all funds & items received directly to benefit the people they’re trying to help. It’s nothing to do with laziness, more about responsible use of money.

Reactions: maherdj
Apparently some charities do this because of costs associated with advertising. It’s more important to put all funds & items received directly to benefit the people they’re trying to help. It’s nothing to do with laziness, more about responsible use of money.
I wasn’t talking about charities.

And people talk about integrity.

First it was the sellers selling rubbish and running away.

Now, buyers are failing to pay and driving away with items.

To Buyers: In your communication with the seller, tell him/her clearly that he/she is to show you the item. If its a gadget/appliance he/she should demonstrate that the item actually Works First Before you pay.

To Sellers: In your communication with the buyer, tell him/her clearly that he/she is to show you the cash on arrival. You as seller will demonstrate the item FIRST Before he/she pays.

• Wow
Reactions: Petra and PattiB
Once I was trying to sell a dining setting square glass top table and 4 chairs. Had 2 offers to buy them, 1 buyer wanted me to put money in escrow to cover pick up and another wanted me to pay $600 for cartage. Told both of them to stop wasting my time as it was a scam just to get money out of me. Have not tried to sell anything anymore on Gumtree or Facebook.

Reactions: Reaper123
Facebook and Marketplace are full of scammers ! After recently losing my money on a dress I ordered, I took more notice of the Facebook ads. Douglas of Brisbane was closing his store so big savings, then Ivy of Melbourne was doing the same, dresses on both ads were the same ! The mob who stole my money was supposedly in Sydney until I paid then got charged USD exchange rates ! Learned my lesson fast.

• Angry
Reactions: DLHM and PattiB
Farcebook, Instascam, Dik Doc, Bumtree, Sleazebay....all the same.
This will make you laugh Veggie. I joined FB a month ago & 3 weeks later was suspended for not being a fit & proper person (how did they know😂) I appealed & within 24hrs was “unsuspended” with an apology. Think I’ll not bother very often.

I tried to sell something on Gum Tree and got a reply that sounded strange I sent it to my Daughter . she sent a reply saying it was a scam. so i now do not try and sell things online anymore.

Years ago I bought a cleaning product from an ad I saw while watching YouTube. What arrived was a plastic spray bottle and a little plastic bag with what looked like 10 aspirin tablets. No instructions or any other written material or even a label. Just a scam.

Reactions: Bunyip57
Years ago I bought a cleaning product from an ad I saw while watching YouTube. What arrived was a plastic spray bottle and a little plastic bag with what looked like 10 aspirin tablets. No instructions or any other written material or even a label. Just a scam.
Am I so guillable, or has our Country become so unbelievably crooked, in recent years ? It just makes me so terribly
Sad to think this is widespread now.
Bring back the Good Old Days, when most people were Honourable and Honest. Tragic.