A mum was left speechless by a customer's bizarre behaviour on Facebook Marketplace

If you like a good bargain, you might be familiar with Facebook Marketplace. It’s a great platform for browsing items for sale near your area.

But, like everything great, Facebook Marketplace does come with a certain risk. Many of us are wary of reaching out to buy (or sell) an item from a complete stranger, and rightly so–you never know what exactly might happen.

That said, sometimes you come across situations so bizarre that it will leave you speechless, like Roisin Tarrant, a young mum from Queensland.

According to her, she put up an old workbench on Facebook Marketplace for $50, and it wasn't long before a potential customer came knocking. But, the encounter didn’t go as smoothly as expected.

photo (2).jpg
Roisin Tarrant shared her Facebook Marketplace experience. Credit: @geebungalow/TikTok

Roisin appeared in a video and recalled that after she gave her address, the customer arrived with his wife to collect the item.

That was when his strange behaviour began. Instead of handing over the $50 for the workbench, the couple said, ‘Thank you so much for your generosity’, loaded it into their trailer and drove away without paying.

'I think I just got majorly scammed on my own Facebook Marketplace listing,' Roisin said.

Despite feeling scammed, she laughed off the incident since she needed to get rid of it for her upcoming move.

However, that didn't stop her from sending the customer a message telling them they'd 'forgotten' to pay. Roisin has yet to confirm if they responded to the message.

Social media users were quick to provide tips on handling Facebook Marketplace sales, with one saying, ‘My rule is you give me the money before I hand anything over.’

‘I also reiterate the price like “Please bring $50 cash, I don’t have any change on me,’ another suggested.

Others are also sharing their similar experience. A seller wrote, ‘I literally helped someone move a couch they “bought” from me, and they never paid.’

‘This happened to me! So awkward,’ a second seller said.

You can watch Roisin’s full video here:

How to safely sell items on Facebook Marketplace​

To avoid any Marketplace mishaps like Roisin’s in the future, it’s important to have a few safety tips up your sleeve. Facebook Marketplace, like many other sales platforms, is a fantastic tool when used correctly, and you should not let fear of the unknown hinder your online selling experiences.

First off, always practice smart communication. Keep all correspondence within Facebook Messenger so that you have a record of all conversations and agreements. Try to be clear and precise about the payment method and the transaction terms from the beginning. You wouldn’t want any confusion leading to a 'freebie' situation!

And speaking of payment, there’s another important tip. Never hand over an item without receiving payment! While it can be tempting to trust a friendly face, it’s vital to remember that not everyone has the best intentions. Make it crystal clear to potential customers that payment is expected, not optional.

Also, consider meeting in a neutral, public place for exchanges rather than revealing your personal address. This offers an extra layer of security, ensuring you’re not providing strangers with details of where you live. It also lets you quickly leave the scene if things start feeling dodgy.

Another tip to consider is to have someone else with you during the exchange. Having another person present can sometimes discourage scammers and opportunists.

And finally, don't forget to follow your gut instinct. If something feels off or not quite right, it probably isn't. It’s your sale, and you have every right to cancel it if it feels suspicious.

Remember, selling on Facebook Marketplace can be a breeze if you exercise some necessary precautions.

Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland mum had a strange experience when trying to sell a workbench on Facebook Marketplace.
  • Instead of paying, the buyer thanked her for her ‘generosity’, loaded the item in their car and drove off.
  • Despite feeling she'd been scammed, the mother laughed off the incident due to needing to remove furniture before her house move.
  • The story prompted other users to share their tips and experiences with buyers not paying for items on Facebook Marketplace.

Now, that's one Facebook Marketplace story we heard that might make you think twice before agreeing to sell anything.

Remember this the next time you’re out on the Facebook Marketplace. Always make sure you know exactly what you’re getting and the expected payment method you’ll receive, and it’s best to be transparent about it all on Messenger from the start.

Do you have a similar experience, members? Share them in the comments below!

Sponsored
If you like a good bargain, you might be familiar with Facebook Marketplace. It’s a great platform for browsing items for sale near your area.

But, like everything great, Facebook Marketplace does come with a certain risk. Many of us are wary of reaching out to buy (or sell) an item from a complete stranger, and rightly so–you never know what exactly might happen.

That said, sometimes you come across situations so bizarre that it will leave you speechless, like Roisin Tarrant, a young mum from Queensland.

According to her, she put up an old workbench on Facebook Marketplace for $50, and it wasn't long before a potential customer came knocking. But, the encounter didn’t go as smoothly as expected.

View attachment 28524
Roisin Tarrant shared her Facebook Marketplace experience. Credit: @geebungalow/TikTok

Roisin appeared in a video and recalled that after she gave her address, the customer arrived with his wife to collect the item.

That was when his strange behaviour began. Instead of handing over the $50 for the workbench, the couple said, ‘Thank you so much for your generosity’, loaded it into their trailer and drove away without paying.

'I think I just got majorly scammed on my own Facebook Marketplace listing,' Roisin said.

Despite feeling scammed, she laughed off the incident since she needed to get rid of it for her upcoming move.

However, that didn't stop her from sending the customer a message telling them they'd 'forgotten' to pay. Roisin has yet to confirm if they responded to the message.

Social media users were quick to provide tips on handling Facebook Marketplace sales, with one saying, ‘My rule is you give me the money before I hand anything over.’

‘I also reiterate the price like “Please bring $50 cash, I don’t have any change on me,’ another suggested.

Others are also sharing their similar experience. A seller wrote, ‘I literally helped someone move a couch they “bought” from me, and they never paid.’

To avoid any Marketplace mishaps like Roisin’s in the future, it’s important to have a few safety tips up your sleeve. Facebook Marketplace, like many other sales platforms, is a fantastic tool when used correctly, and you should not let fear of the unknown hinder your online selling experiences.

First off, always practice smart communication. Keep all correspondence within Facebook Messenger so that you have a record of all conversations and agreements. Try to be clear and precise about the payment method and the transaction terms from the beginning. You wouldn’t want any confusion leading to a 'freebie' situation!

And speaking of payment, there’s another important tip. Never hand over an item without receiving payment! While it can be tempting to trust a friendly face, it’s vital to remember that not everyone has the best intentions. Make it crystal clear to potential customers that payment is expected, not optional.

Also, consider meeting in a neutral, public place for exchanges rather than revealing your personal address. This offers an extra layer of security, ensuring you’re not providing strangers with details of where you live. It also lets you quickly leave the scene if things start feeling dodgy.

Another tip to consider is to have someone else with you during the exchange. Having another person present can sometimes discourage scammers and opportunists.

And finally, don't forget to follow your gut instinct. If something feels off or not quite right, it probably isn't. It’s your sale, and you have every right to cancel it if it feels suspicious.

Remember, selling on Facebook Marketplace can be a breeze if you exercise some necessary precautions.

Key Takeaways

• A Queensland mum had a strange experience when trying to sell a workbench on Facebook Marketplace.
  • Instead of paying, the buyer thanked her for her ‘generosity’, loaded the item in their car and drove off.
  • Despite feeling she'd been scammed, the mother laughed off the incident due to needing to remove furniture before her house move.
  • The story prompted other users to share their tips and experiences with buyers not paying for items on Facebook Marketplace.

Now, that's one Facebook Marketplace story we heard that might make you think twice before agreeing to sell anything.

Remember this the next time you’re out on the Facebook Marketplace. Always make sure you know exactly what you’re getting and the expected payment method you’ll receive, and it’s best to be transparent about it all on Messenger from the start.

My experience was with direct debit for a $20 item I was selling. Even though I always write 'cash only' in the marketplace ad, a woman came over and wanted to pay by DD, I said no, it specifically stated cash and she said no one carries cash anymore.
I was so annoyed but accepted it. We did the transaction and she showed me on her phone where she paid it, and I saw on mine it was sent.
BUT .... by the time she drove to the end of my street, she had reversed the payment as 'an accidental payment to the wrong account'.
Never again! Cash only!

Reactions: Ricci
Another stupid seller, in my opinion. Put your hand out for the cash BEFORE the item is lifted off your property.
It's easy to judge but it can be daunting when the seller is alone and 2 people show up acting as though it's a done deal.

Unfortunately, many males still come across like authoritarians, especially when dealing with women 😞

My experience was with direct debit for a $20 item I was selling. Even though I always write 'cash only' in the marketplace ad, a woman came over and wanted to pay by DD, I said no, it specifically stated cash and she said no one carries cash anymore.
I was so annoyed but accepted it. We did the transaction and she showed me on her phone where she paid it, and I saw on mine it was sent.
BUT .... by the time she drove to the end of my street, she had reversed the payment as 'an accidental payment to the wrong account'.
Never again! Cash only!
first time I've ever heard of this being possible.

Reactions: Ricci
I'd like to see the listing, as many time on market place it's listed on the free page, then they add a monetary amount in the comments.

Reactions: Robbo3006 and Ricci

View attachment 28524

Key Takeaways

I had a couple of brothers come p/u some car parts, whilst they were busy unbolting I went inside and when I came out they'd nearly stripped the car and had heaps of parts in their trailer, when I said those parts are extra, they replied you're going to scrap the car anyway, I said when everyone has their parts I will, some of those parts are for people coming this arvo, made them take all the parts out of the trailer and to them to bog off. Sold them nothing, they were angry but understanding when my mates came over.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Sod using marketplace 90% of anything associated with Facebook is a suspect. I only use Ebay and PayPal or cash on the knocker!

View attachment 28524

Key Takeaways

And I had a very similar incident happen to me a few years despite being advised by EBay that payment had been made.

I had someone that was coming after the weekend and I told them I was leaving the item on Marketplace because they wouldn't pay a deposit. Someone else turned up and I sold it to them but they were also ready to put it in their trailer before paying I said no money first. Then I told the other guy it was sold he got quite abusive because he had "hired a trailer" I said I told you it was staying on Marketplace until sold. Had to block him.