Woman loses everything to Centrelink error: ‘I don’t know how much more I can handle’

Disclaimer: Names with an asterisk (*) beside them have been changed to protect the identity of the person.

Many rely on various government services to support their well-being, especially when they move beyond the workforce into retirement.

One such service, Centrelink, provides crucial financial support to those in need, including aged pensioners, people with disabilities and full-time carers.

But what happens when the very system designed to safeguard and assist a vulnerablecommunity malfunctions in a most distressing way?

In a shocking case of bureaucratic bungle, a 74-year-old Australian woman named Eve* was declared deceased by Services Australia, leading to a cascade of distressing consequences.

This included the closure of her bank accounts, the loss of her pension, and the withdrawal of her energy concessions.

sad-frustrated-senior-woman-pensioner-having-depressed-look-holding-hand-her-face-calculating-...jpg
Eve* was distressed to know about what Centrelink did to her records. Credit: Freepik

Eve*, a carer for her 81-year-old husband, who suffers from dementia, first noticed something was amiss when an extra $3,000 from Centrelink appeared in her husband's account.

Concerned about a potential overpayment, she reached out to Services Australia.

After calling a few times, someone from Service Australia called her back to check her account history.

‘As far as we are concerned, you are deceased,’ the officer said.

The $3,000 was a bereavement payment made to her husband.

In the weeks that followed, Eve's* life was turned upside down. Her bank accounts were shut down, her energy concessions from the Gold Coast council were withdrawn, and she could not even book an Uber.

Despite confirming her living status with Births and Marriages, the bureaucratic nightmare continued.

Nali Wardill, a lawyer from Basic Rights Queensland (BRQ) who worked on Eve's* case, highlighted the distressing impact of the situation.

'She’s the carer for her husband, who has dementia and is nonverbal,' Wardill said.

‘She tried to get on to her Centrelink account, but she couldn’t get through. She could see on her husband’s account, his myGov, she could log on there, but she couldn’t log on to hers.’

‘There’s no correspondence in her husband’s myGov account inbox either. So she thought this was an IT glitch.’

After calling Centrelink, it said it would resolve the issue and restore her records.

‘She hadn’t received her usual carer pension,’ Wardill added.

'Because Centrelink thought she’s now dead. So it’s had a financial impact on them.'

After BRQ contacted Centrelink, it made a manual payment to Eve*, and she was later transferred to the debt recovery team to organise the $3,000 repayment bereavement fund.

The situation worsened when, despite assurances from Centrelink that the issue would be resolved, Eve's* bank accounts were frozen again in June.

All remaining funds were transferred into an estate management account. Eve* and her husband were left in a precarious financial situation, unable to access their own money and reliant on the goodwill of their local chemist to defer payment for necessary medications.

Eve* wrote to BRQ, saying, ‘After reassuring me that everything was amended and payment reinstated, imagine my distress when the bank closed my accounts on Friday.’

‘I had to go into a branch to try and sort out to be told once again that I am deceased and everything has been moved to estate management ‍and will need to go through the process of proving who I am.’

‘I have had to try and work around no access to funds. [My] Family couldn’t transfer money as they had nowhere to send it, and direct debits due won’t go.’

The ordeal took a significant toll on Eve's* mental health.

'I don’t know how much more I can handle,' she wrote.

compressed-it-is-always-easy-live-together.jpeg
The situation took a toll on Eve’s* mental health. Credit: Freepik

'Being told that I have died again and not knowing if it is ever going to stop happening is taking its toll.'

The automation of letters to Eve’s* bank and council had caused distress. The letters sent by Centrelink to Eve’s* bank and the council on 9 May 2023 were not corrected until BRQ raised a complaint with them in June.

‘She told me she was very distressed,’ Wardill said.

‘She hadn’t slept, and it was exacerbating her anxiety, which is very typical of our vulnerable clients.’

‘It’s particularly difficult when you’re not able to advocate on your behalf, or even if you are able to advocate on your behalf, you’re not able to get through to Centrelink because everything is now based on your customer reference number.’

The banks moved to reinstate Eve’s* accounts after she reiterated that she was not deceased. And after Centrelink sent a statement of regret over the situation, she elevated the case to the council to get her concession put back on.

Kate Allingham, the Chief Executive of Economic Justice Australia, highlighted the devastating consequences of automation in this case.

'In this nightmarish case, the consequences of automation were devastating and profound,' Allingham said.

'This woman’s payments were stopped, her bank account frozen, and funds withdrawn. She could not access her money to buy food or medicine. It took months and the intervention of a lawyer for Centrelink to resolve.'

‘Robodebt is gone, but the ongoing and unchecked use of automation in government services continues to hurt people.’

‘Robodebt demonstrated that Centrelink’s decisions and actions can ruin people’s lives. As the agency moves to introduce safeguards, it’s imperative that people and the complexity of their lives are not lost in a digital one-size-fits-all automated system,’ she explained.

Economic Justice Australia is now researching automation at Centrelink and will make recommendations to the government about how it can be used safely, transparently, and responsibly.

'There should always be human oversight of automation at Centrelink,' Allingham added.

Meanwhile, a Services Australia spokesperson said that it would not comment on this case as Eve* wanted to remain anonymous.

‘We don’t have the details of this case to investigate the specific circumstances, but recording a customer’s death is undertaken with a number of service officer checks in place,’ they said.

‘We sincerely apologise for the distress and inconvenience caused by this error. We work hard to support people sensitively when they are experiencing bereavement, so we are especially disappointed this mistake placed an unnecessary burden on this couple.’

‘If a human error occurs, we have processes in place to take steps to prevent them from happening again. This includes feedback and training for individuals.’

While Centrelink plays a critical role in supporting millions of Australians, many are still left struggling without the help they need due to its skyrocketing waiting times and delays.

It was reported that all Centrelink departments experience ballooning wait times, with an average wait time of almost an hour. Read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• A 74-year-old woman named Eve* received a bereavement payment intended for her husband and was mistakenly recorded as deceased by Services Australia.
  • Due to the error, Eve’s* bank accounts were shut down, her energy concessions were withdrawn, and she could not use certain services like Uber.
  • Basic Rights Queensland lawyer Nali Wardill assisted Eve* in challenging the mistake, resulting in a manual payment and an apology from Centrelink, but the issue recurred, causing further distress.
  • Economic Justice Australia highlighted the negative impact of automation on government services and is pushing for recommendations to ensure automation is used safely and with human oversight at Centrelink.
What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you or anyone you know experienced similar issues with automation in government services? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
...unlike Perpetual Outrage Syndrome, which clearly is.
It appears you are outraged by my comment
I have a disabled daughter myself and it is more like disgust than outrage, that people still use such derogatory names as spastics, mongol, etc.
These types of comments, by ignorant people, have no place in today's society.
People with disabilities have enough battles in their lives without being given "labels'
They were born that way, what is your excuse.

Surely to god, even a massive operation like Centrelink can have a system in place to take care of these stupid slip-ups. We all make mistakes, but how well we rectify the situation caused by our mistakes is crucial. Had Centrelink reacted immediately, regardless of who made the mistake initially, with minimal delay to the lady's support the matter would have been quickly forgotten. Now in my view it will need a large application of taxpayers money a/ to compensate the lady for pain and suffering, and b/ payment for expensive litigation for a matter they should not win.

Reactions: Ashmenou
That is a very derogatory comment.
Spasticity is not necessarily a mental deficiency, actually in most cases not at all.
thank you from the bottom of my heart. I was called spastic as a child with club feet and kidney disease. My Mum had a choice to either send me to an ordinary school or the Spastic Centre. Thank God she had brains. I was told "after school you have to mix with people of all sorts so you may as well start now". Any wonder I loved my Mum.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Disclaimer: Names with an asterisk (*) beside them have been changed to protect the identity of the person.

Many rely on various government services to support their well-being, especially when they move beyond the workforce into retirement.

One such service, Centrelink, provides crucial financial support to those in need, including aged pensioners, people with disabilities and full-time carers.

But what happens when the very system designed to safeguard and assist a vulnerablecommunity malfunctions in a most distressing way?

In a shocking case of bureaucratic bungle, a 74-year-old Australian woman named Eve* was declared deceased by Services Australia, leading to a cascade of distressing consequences.

This included the closure of her bank accounts, the loss of her pension, and the withdrawal of her energy concessions.

View attachment 38090
Eve* was distressed to know about what Centrelink did to her records. Credit: Freepik

Eve*, a carer for her 81-year-old husband, who suffers from dementia, first noticed something was amiss when an extra $3,000 from Centrelink appeared in her husband's account.

After calling a few times, someone from Service Australia called her back to check her account history.

In the weeks that followed, Eve's* life was turned upside down. Her bank accounts were shut down, her energy concessions from the Gold Coast council were withdrawn, and she could not even book an Uber.

Despite confirming her living status with Births and Marriages, the bureaucratic nightmare continued.

Nali Wardill, a lawyer from Basic Rights Queensland (BRQ) who worked on Eve's* case, highlighted the distressing impact of the situation.

'She’s the carer for her husband, who has dementia and is nonverbal,' Wardill said.

‘She tried to get on to her Centrelink account, but she couldn’t get through. She could see on her husband’s account, his myGov, she could log on there, but she couldn’t log on to hers.’

‘There’s no correspondence in her husband’s myGov account inbox either. So she thought this was an IT glitch.’

After calling Centrelink, it said it would resolve the issue and restore her records.

'Because Centrelink thought she’s now dead. So it’s had a financial impact on them.'

After BRQ contacted Centrelink, it made a manual payment to Eve*, and she was later transferred to the debt recovery team to organise the $3,000 repayment bereavement fund.

The situation worsened when, despite assurances from Centrelink that the issue would be resolved, Eve's* bank accounts were frozen again in June.

All remaining funds were transferred into an estate management account. Eve* and her husband were left in a precarious financial situation, unable to access their own money and reliant on the goodwill of their local chemist to defer payment for necessary medications.

Eve* wrote to BRQ, saying, ‘After reassuring me that everything was amended and payment reinstated, imagine my distress when the bank closed my accounts on Friday.’

‘I had to go into a branch to try and sort out to be told once again that I am deceased and everything has been moved to estate management ‍and will need to go through the process of proving who I am.’

‘I have had to try and work around no access to funds. [My] Family couldn’t transfer money as they had nowhere to send it, and direct debits due won’t go.’

View attachment 38091

'Being told that I have died again and not knowing if it is ever going to stop happening is taking its toll.'

The automation of letters to Eve’s* bank and council had caused distress. The letters sent by Centrelink to Eve’s* bank and the council on 9 May 2023 were not corrected until BRQ raised a complaint with them in June.

‘She hadn’t slept, and it was exacerbating her anxiety, which is very typical of our vulnerable clients.’

‘It’s particularly difficult when you’re not able to advocate on your behalf, or even if you are able to advocate on your behalf, you’re not able to get through to Centrelink because everything is now based on your customer reference number.’

The banks moved to reinstate Eve’s* accounts after she reiterated that she was not deceased. And after Centrelink sent a statement of regret over the situation, she elevated the case to the council to get her concession put back on.

Kate Allingham, the Chief Executive of Economic Justice Australia, highlighted the devastating consequences of automation in this case.

'In this nightmarish case, the consequences of automation were devastating and profound,' Allingham said.

'This woman’s payments were stopped, her bank account frozen, and funds withdrawn. She could not access her money to buy food or medicine. It took months and the intervention of a lawyer for Centrelink to resolve.'

‘Robodebt is gone, but the ongoing and unchecked use of automation in government services continues to hurt people.’

‘Robodebt demonstrated that Centrelink’s decisions and actions can ruin people’s lives. As the agency moves to introduce safeguards, it’s imperative that people and the complexity of their lives are not lost in a digital one-size-fits-all automated system,’ she explained.

Economic Justice Australia is now researching automation at Centrelink and will make recommendations to the government about how it can be used safely, transparently, and responsibly.

'There should always be human oversight of automation at Centrelink,' Allingham added.

Meanwhile, a Services Australia spokesperson said that it would not comment on this case as Eve* wanted to remain anonymous.

‘We don’t have the details of this case to investigate the specific circumstances, but recording a customer’s death is undertaken with a number of service officer checks in place,’ they said.

‘We sincerely apologise for the distress and inconvenience caused by this error. We work hard to support people sensitively when they are experiencing bereavement, so we are especially disappointed this mistake placed an unnecessary burden on this couple.’

‘If a human error occurs, we have processes in place to take steps to prevent them from happening again. This includes feedback and training for individuals.’

While Centrelink plays a critical role in supporting millions of Australians, many are still left struggling without the help they need due to its skyrocketing waiting times and delays.

It was reported that all Centrelink departments experience ballooning wait times, with an average wait time of almost an hour. Read more about this story here.
Key Takeaways

• A 74-year-old woman named Eve* received a bereavement payment intended for her husband and was mistakenly recorded as deceased by Services Australia.
  • Due to the error, Eve’s* bank accounts were shut down, her energy concessions were withdrawn, and she could not use certain services like Uber.
  • Basic Rights Queensland lawyer Nali Wardill assisted Eve* in challenging the mistake, resulting in a manual payment and an apology from Centrelink, but the issue recurred, causing further distress.
  • Economic Justice Australia highlighted the negative impact of automation on government services and is pushing for recommendations to ensure automation is used safely and with human oversight at Centrelink.
What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you or anyone you know experienced similar issues with automation in government services? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
Gosh! That another horrible story from Centrelink. I would demande payback and compensation for all the stress that such error from Centrelink caused

How could something like this happen and not once but twice.

I bet you they chased up that bereavement payment which I'm thinking they should have kept to compensate for what had happened.

Its easy to read but to actually comprehend what this poor couple went through is beyond imagination.
yes sue them for stress and loss of enjoyment

When my Brother-In-Law died, the Funeral Home said that they would let Centrelink know that he had passed away. We didn't actually let his bank know until we were ready to handle things with his Solicitor.

View attachment 38090

View attachment 38091

Key Takeaways

I just hope that once it is all sorted "Eve" receives adaquent componsation , as for the service officers that reviewed the deceased documents they should be sacked on the spot, this is not just human error, what the hell were they reviewing.

View attachment 38090

View attachment 38091

Key Takeaways

Retribution is imperative.
Centrelink will not take proper care until it is hit the hip pocket. Monetary loss and a good dash for pain and suffering are her right to demand.
It is astounding they just did not get it.
I am often asked do I trust this or that company or organisation. I always answer that I only trust people I know and love, not faceless organisations. This situation pretty much reinforces that.
This poor lady probably rocked up at a Centrelink counter and said.. look, I am alive. Their response could be counted on as being...sorry, you have to prove that.

View attachment 38090

View attachment 38091

Key Takeaways

If you automate mess in the end you’ll will get a fully automated mess. Until somebody would be accountable for human errors and personally fined for such incompetency it would happened again and again and again.
How come any automated system could jump to such critical decision without confirmation from BDM agency?

My question is, why, as a South Australian am I only reading this on this great site and not in the newspaper?
This story should be on the front cover of all state papers. I'm horrified for this poor woman.
For 3 years straight, the week before Christmas, my husband would get notification from Centrelink to say they were cutting off his pension immediately. No reason, just bang, your out. Naturally, this wonderful service were now on their Christmas break, so we had to go through the Christmas/New Year unable to contact them and only my disabled pension to get us through. Not to mention the stress and anxiety.
I have a treasure trove of C/l horror stories, but they pale into insignificance to what this lady has gone through.
Hopefully, C/L have done the right thing by her and paid back every cent that she's been denied and that the lawyers either don't charge her (as if), or C/L pay her legal costs (a much bigger as if).
Wishing you all a very merry and stressless Christmas and New Year. Please keep up this wonderful site; thank you for your entertainment and news stories and perhaps some easier puzzles next year.

Reactions: mylittletibbies