Woman gets kicked out of shopping centre for being barefoot

A Queensland woman has caused massive debate online after claiming she was asked to leave a shopping centre because she'd chosen to go barefoot.

The woman took to Facebook to share her experience at Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore, writing that she'd 'been told to leave' because she wasn't wearing any shoes.

The woman wrote, 'Was at Sunshine Plaza today and was asked to leave as I wasn't wearing any shoes.'

She added, 'Since when has being barefoot been illegal? Has anyone else been told this?'

Screenshot 2023-11-30 121222.png
A woman claimed she was asked to leave a shopping centre for being barefoot. Image: Instagram

The woman further responded to some of the hundreds of comments on the page questioning why she would go shopping without shoes.

'I find it more comfortable with bare feet. (I) only wear shoes at work or where I really have to. Dust and soot just washes off,' she said.

She said that she had been wearing no shoes at ‘shopping centres and walking on city streets for over 30 years’ and had never had any issues.

‘I do it all the time, even in Brisbane city, never had a problem before,’ she said.

‘I couldn’t believe it...I’ve never had a problem before, even in the big Brisbane shopping centres.’

The woman further rebutted a commenter’s claims that some diseases can be spread via bare feet saying, 'Can’t be that easy. I’ve been going barefoot into shopping centres and walking on city streets for just over 30 years and never got anything.'

A lot of people in the comment thread had mixed opinions, with others critical of her shoeless habit, while a handful of others lamented anti-barefoot policies as restrictions imposed on personal freedoms.

To that effect, one person said, 'Why go barefoot? Because it’s natural. Why make the choice? Because it’s mine to make.'

pexels-photo-105776.jpeg
The woman also claims she has been walking barefoot in shopping centres and city streets without a problem. Image: Pexels

Sunshine Plaza’s manager, Michael Manwaring, issued a statement, saying, 'In line with our centre policy, all visitors to Sunshine Plaza are required to wear suitable attire and footwear at all times. As always, maintaining essential standards to support the health, safety and well-being for all our customers, retailers and staff is our number one priority.'

Walking barefoot in public is a trait some Aussies practice fearlessly, even at times leading to curiosity—and criticism—from those unfamiliar with the cultural quirk.

It's great being out in the sun, breathing the fresh air and feeling the warm grass or sand between one’s toes. Not to mention that biomechanists and physical therapists argue that going barefoot is good for health and posture.

But with this recent incident, it would seem that some places on home soil have taken a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to footwear.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman from Queensland has claimed that she was asked to leave Sunshine Plaza shopping centre in Maroochydore because she was not wearing any shoes.
  • She expressed disbelief, claiming that she has been going barefoot in shopping centres and on city streets for over 30 years without issue.
  • While some in the comment thread on a community group in social media questioned her shoeless habit, others criticised the enforcement of anti-barefoot policies as being a restriction on personal freedoms.
  • Sunshine Plaza’s manager, Michael Manwaring, said in a statement that all visitors to Sunshine Plaza are required to wear suitable attire and footwear, emphasising that maintaining standards to support the health, safety and well-being of all customers, retailers and staff is their top priority.

Should we have the right to go out barefoot in certain places, or should businesses continue to require us to wear shoes and other clothing? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
i am so sick of this rubbish. I moved to the Sunshine Coast in 1983 because it was a great place then to bring up children. Carefree, safe and fun. Bloody southerners come up here and decide they will change things for the better. Well the carefree lifestyle is long gone. The crowds, the highrises, the pollution, more vehicles on the roads, graffiti, rubbish on the beaches and the streets/highways/motorways plus the traffic jams/hold ups. It was such a nice place to live in up until the last 20 years. AND now you can't go barefoot in the shopping centre. Worse than Melbourne (I lived there for a few years). Thanks greedy councils and developers. Grrrrrrrrr. Kim H
yeah right on.....bring back the '70's and the Rock festivals and all of the free love and lets do some LSD and smoke some mary jane and we'll put flowers in our hair and walk barefoot all day and night babe.....Society sucks man, too many rules, no freedom, no good times, I'm just going to cry and say to those people who want to develop the landscape......F/OFF. yeah man. 🤣😂🤔😉

yeah right on.....bring back the '70's and the Rock festivals and all of the free love and lets do some LSD and smoke some mary jane and we'll put flowers in our hair and walk barefoot all day and night babe.....Society sucks man, too many rules, no freedom, no good times, I'm just going to cry and say to those people who want to develop the landscape......F/OFF. yeah man. 🤣😂🤔😉
😂🤣😂🤣 Yep. Peace, love and the anti establishment movement. Look where it’s taken us. 🙃🤔

You forgot Woodstock. About 50 odd years ago, it was a rock festival. Now it's a can of poxy bourbon cut with a paint stripping version of Coke.

• Haha
Reactions: magpie1 and Knell
You forgot Woodstock. About 50 odd years ago, it was a rock festival. Now it's a can of poxy bourbon cut with a paint stripping version of Coke.
Woodstock was in mid 1969. I was living in Los Angeles at the time and too young to hitchhike to New York State. But watching documentaries on it, I’m sure glad I couldn’t go!

Much as I love going barefoot and do in and around my home I wouldn’t go to the shops or walk around the streets without shoes. There are various reasons for this including, hot concrete, roads etc, slippery surfaces, broken glass, all sorts of crap on shopping centre floors, dropping items on my foot, running over my foot with the trolley, or worse, someone else doing it. I also prefer to wear shoes when driving so would be a pain putting shoes on and off several times just to go shopping.
Well said - these ppl would be the first to scream foul if they cut their feet etc. No doubt would have their solicitor on speed dial! Grubby practice - grow up.

Reactions: magpie1
A Queensland woman has caused massive debate online after claiming she was asked to leave a shopping centre because she'd chosen to go barefoot.

The woman took to Facebook to share her experience at Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore, writing that she'd 'been told to leave' because she wasn't wearing any shoes.

The woman wrote, 'Was at Sunshine Plaza today and was asked to leave as I wasn't wearing any shoes.'

She added, 'Since when has being barefoot been illegal? Has anyone else been told this?'

View attachment 36235
A woman claimed she was asked to leave a shopping centre for being barefoot. Image: Instagram

The woman further responded to some of the hundreds of comments on the page questioning why she would go shopping without shoes.

'I find it more comfortable with bare feet. (I) only wear shoes at work or where I really have to. Dust and soot just washes off,' she said.

She said that she had been wearing no shoes at ‘shopping centres and walking on city streets for over 30 years’ and had never had any issues.

‘I do it all the time, even in Brisbane city, never had a problem before,’ she said.

‘I couldn’t believe it...I’ve never had a problem before, even in the big Brisbane shopping centres.’

The woman further rebutted a commenter’s claims that some diseases can be spread via bare feet saying, 'Can’t be that easy. I’ve been going barefoot into shopping centres and walking on city streets for just over 30 years and never got anything.'

A lot of people in the comment thread had mixed opinions, with others critical of her shoeless habit, while a handful of others lamented anti-barefoot policies as restrictions imposed on personal freedoms.

To that effect, one person said, 'Why go barefoot? Because it’s natural. Why make the choice? Because it’s mine to make.'

View attachment 36237
The woman also claims she has been walking barefoot in shopping centres and city streets without a problem. Image: Pexels

Sunshine Plaza’s manager, Michael Manwaring, issued a statement, saying, 'In line with our centre policy, all visitors to Sunshine Plaza are required to wear suitable attire and footwear at all times. As always, maintaining essential standards to support the health, safety and well-being for all our customers, retailers and staff is our number one priority.'

Walking barefoot in public is a trait some Aussies practice fearlessly, even at times leading to curiosity—and criticism—from those unfamiliar with the cultural quirk.

It's great being out in the sun, breathing the fresh air and feeling the warm grass or sand between one’s toes. Not to mention that biomechanists and physical therapists argue that going barefoot is good for health and posture.

But with this recent incident, it would seem that some places on home soil have taken a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to footwear.

Key Takeaways

• A woman from Queensland has claimed that she was asked to leave Sunshine Plaza shopping centre in Maroochydore because she was not wearing any shoes.
  • She expressed disbelief, claiming that she has been going barefoot in shopping centres and on city streets for over 30 years without issue.
  • While some in the comment thread on a community group in social media questioned her shoeless habit, others criticised the enforcement of anti-barefoot policies as being a restriction on personal freedoms.
  • Sunshine Plaza’s manager, Michael Manwaring, said in a statement that all visitors to Sunshine Plaza are required to wear suitable attire and footwear, emphasising that maintaining standards to support the health, safety and well-being of all customers, retailers and staff is their top priority.

Should we have the right to go out barefoot in certain places, or should businesses continue to require us to wear shoes and other clothing? Let us know in the comments below!
If a shopper who was bare foot in a shopping area, suffered an injury, who would be liable?

If a shopper who was bare foot in a shopping area, suffered an injury, who would be liable?
The courts would way up the concepts of dignity of risk versus the duty of care. Is it the responsibility of the individual to make sure the activity they are undertaking is safe in the environment? Probably. Is it the responsibility of the shopping centre management to ensure that environment is safe for the individual? Without a doubt. Dilemma? Yes.

So, if I went into a shopping centre barefooted, trod on a used needle and subsequently contracted HIV/AIDS, who is responsible? People would argue that I was morally responsible for not wearing shoes but others would say that the shopping centre should have legally maintained a safe shopping environment.

In the whole scheme of things, the legal aspects insurmountably outweigh the moral issues, which incidentially, have no basis in law. So, in my view, the shopping centre is liable for any damages to an individual while on their property. Then again, courts of law are strange places.

About 15 years ago, I wanted to study law but the cost was way beyond my means, unfortunately. The way I have seen some in the legal profession operate, I can only wonder how they got past Year 12, let alone a 6 year university course. But I still maintain an active interest in the subject.

Reactions: magpie1 and DLHM

View attachment 36235

View attachment 36237

Key Takeaways

I agree with management 100%. Heaven knows what she could walk on or slip & then sue the centre. Why would you want to go without shoes is beyond understanding. So much disgusting stuff dropped on floors.

Haha...'Those were the Days" my friend! A bit americanised but the sentiment is the same.

😂🤣😂🤣 Yep. Peace, love and the anti establishment movement. Look where it’s taken us. 🙃🤔
Taken us many places. I know many who have swapped the old Valiant for the Merc, Beer for the Moet, student for important professional jobs....but behind the veneer still happy go lucky hippie at heart...and can walk out their back door and down to the beach barefooted....and still listen to Hendrix and Van Morrison without shoes haha. Living their best lives.

Barefooters - stop arguing and put shoes, stilettos or sandals on. Period! Footwear makes your feet look neater, graceful and proper. A person's character is always (without any doubt) identified through the shoes they wear, if they keep their shoes clean, the way they walk and God forbid, not wearing any, tells me everything I need to know about the person *waves*

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: magpie1 and Knell