Woman gets kicked out of shopping centre for being barefoot

A Queensland woman has caused massive debate online after claiming she was asked to leave a shopping centre because she'd chosen to go barefoot.

The woman took to Facebook to share her experience at Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore, writing that she'd 'been told to leave' because she wasn't wearing any shoes.

The woman wrote, 'Was at Sunshine Plaza today and was asked to leave as I wasn't wearing any shoes.'

She added, 'Since when has being barefoot been illegal? Has anyone else been told this?'

Screenshot 2023-11-30 121222.png
A woman claimed she was asked to leave a shopping centre for being barefoot. Image: Instagram

The woman further responded to some of the hundreds of comments on the page questioning why she would go shopping without shoes.

'I find it more comfortable with bare feet. (I) only wear shoes at work or where I really have to. Dust and soot just washes off,' she said.

She said that she had been wearing no shoes at ‘shopping centres and walking on city streets for over 30 years’ and had never had any issues.

‘I do it all the time, even in Brisbane city, never had a problem before,’ she said.

‘I couldn’t believe it...I’ve never had a problem before, even in the big Brisbane shopping centres.’

The woman further rebutted a commenter’s claims that some diseases can be spread via bare feet saying, 'Can’t be that easy. I’ve been going barefoot into shopping centres and walking on city streets for just over 30 years and never got anything.'

A lot of people in the comment thread had mixed opinions, with others critical of her shoeless habit, while a handful of others lamented anti-barefoot policies as restrictions imposed on personal freedoms.

To that effect, one person said, 'Why go barefoot? Because it’s natural. Why make the choice? Because it’s mine to make.'

pexels-photo-105776.jpeg
The woman also claims she has been walking barefoot in shopping centres and city streets without a problem. Image: Pexels

Sunshine Plaza’s manager, Michael Manwaring, issued a statement, saying, 'In line with our centre policy, all visitors to Sunshine Plaza are required to wear suitable attire and footwear at all times. As always, maintaining essential standards to support the health, safety and well-being for all our customers, retailers and staff is our number one priority.'

Walking barefoot in public is a trait some Aussies practice fearlessly, even at times leading to curiosity—and criticism—from those unfamiliar with the cultural quirk.

It's great being out in the sun, breathing the fresh air and feeling the warm grass or sand between one’s toes. Not to mention that biomechanists and physical therapists argue that going barefoot is good for health and posture.

But with this recent incident, it would seem that some places on home soil have taken a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to footwear.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman from Queensland has claimed that she was asked to leave Sunshine Plaza shopping centre in Maroochydore because she was not wearing any shoes.
  • She expressed disbelief, claiming that she has been going barefoot in shopping centres and on city streets for over 30 years without issue.
  • While some in the comment thread on a community group in social media questioned her shoeless habit, others criticised the enforcement of anti-barefoot policies as being a restriction on personal freedoms.
  • Sunshine Plaza’s manager, Michael Manwaring, said in a statement that all visitors to Sunshine Plaza are required to wear suitable attire and footwear, emphasising that maintaining standards to support the health, safety and well-being of all customers, retailers and staff is their top priority.

Should we have the right to go out barefoot in certain places, or should businesses continue to require us to wear shoes and other clothing? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
A Queensland woman has caused massive debate online after claiming she was asked to leave a shopping centre because she'd chosen to go barefoot.

The woman took to Facebook to share her experience at Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore, writing that she'd 'been told to leave' because she wasn't wearing any shoes.

The woman wrote, 'Was at Sunshine Plaza today and was asked to leave as I wasn't wearing any shoes.'

She added, 'Since when has being barefoot been illegal? Has anyone else been told this?'

View attachment 36235
A woman claimed she was asked to leave a shopping centre for being barefoot. Image: Instagram

The woman further responded to some of the hundreds of comments on the page questioning why she would go shopping without shoes.

'I find it more comfortable with bare feet. (I) only wear shoes at work or where I really have to. Dust and soot just washes off,' she said.

She said that she had been wearing no shoes at ‘shopping centres and walking on city streets for over 30 years’ and had never had any issues.

‘I do it all the time, even in Brisbane city, never had a problem before,’ she said.

‘I couldn’t believe it...I’ve never had a problem before, even in the big Brisbane shopping centres.’

The woman further rebutted a commenter’s claims that some diseases can be spread via bare feet saying, 'Can’t be that easy. I’ve been going barefoot into shopping centres and walking on city streets for just over 30 years and never got anything.'

A lot of people in the comment thread had mixed opinions, with others critical of her shoeless habit, while a handful of others lamented anti-barefoot policies as restrictions imposed on personal freedoms.

To that effect, one person said, 'Why go barefoot? Because it’s natural. Why make the choice? Because it’s mine to make.'

View attachment 36237
The woman also claims she has been walking barefoot in shopping centres and city streets without a problem. Image: Pexels

Sunshine Plaza’s manager, Michael Manwaring, issued a statement, saying, 'In line with our centre policy, all visitors to Sunshine Plaza are required to wear suitable attire and footwear at all times. As always, maintaining essential standards to support the health, safety and well-being for all our customers, retailers and staff is our number one priority.'

Walking barefoot in public is a trait some Aussies practice fearlessly, even at times leading to curiosity—and criticism—from those unfamiliar with the cultural quirk.

It's great being out in the sun, breathing the fresh air and feeling the warm grass or sand between one’s toes. Not to mention that biomechanists and physical therapists argue that going barefoot is good for health and posture.

But with this recent incident, it would seem that some places on home soil have taken a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to footwear.

Key Takeaways

• A woman from Queensland has claimed that she was asked to leave Sunshine Plaza shopping centre in Maroochydore because she was not wearing any shoes.
  • She expressed disbelief, claiming that she has been going barefoot in shopping centres and on city streets for over 30 years without issue.
  • While some in the comment thread on a community group in social media questioned her shoeless habit, others criticised the enforcement of anti-barefoot policies as being a restriction on personal freedoms.
  • Sunshine Plaza’s manager, Michael Manwaring, said in a statement that all visitors to Sunshine Plaza are required to wear suitable attire and footwear, emphasising that maintaining standards to support the health, safety and well-being of all customers, retailers and staff is their top priority.

Should we have the right to go out barefoot in certain places, or should businesses continue to require us to wear shoes and other clothing? Let us know in the comments below!
What’s wrong with going barefoot? We come into this world barefoot! My husband doesn’t wear shoes very often and he is known for it.

Reactions: Robbo3006

View attachment 36235

View attachment 36237

Key Takeaways

I think

View attachment 36235

View attachment 36237

Key Takeaways

Should we have the right to go out barefoot in certain places, or should businesses continue to require us to wear shoes and other clothing? Let us know in the comments below.
If I'm bare feet in a shopping centre , how is it a health hazard to people wearing shoes ? I can understand if an item falls, spilt or even break on the ailse way, or even falling on your tootsie and of course being sued. I haven't seen any notificatioñ at my local plaza or in our local paper, but I think a health hazard is going a bit far. Scare tactic. Take care.

Reactions: Robbo3006

View attachment 36235

View attachment 36237

Key Takeaways

Never heard of this rule that you can’t walk around BAREFOOTED because you want to it’s a most Natural thing to do. I go everywhere Barefooted though I’m in a wheelchair all the time & don’t see the Benefits of wearing Shoes. My feet never touch the ground so why should I be forced to buy & wear shoes they are of no Benefit to my feet except causing Sweaty Hot feet wasting Money I don’t have on something I don’t need. You shouldn’t be forced to wear Shoes all the time & I do understand there are times when wearing Shoes are necessary but each to there own.

View attachment 36235

View attachment 36237

Key Takeaways

I'm in two minds, one, I think it's up to her to go barefoot anywhere she likes, as long as she doesn't sue if she cuts herself on broken glass etc. I've gone barefoot most of my life, but now I'm old I tend not to. Her feet, her choice.

Reactions: Knell
One cannot travel on public transport barefoot due to personal hygiene rules imposed by insurance companies who issue public liability cover. The same situation applies in all publically accessed venues. Bare feet are easily cut/damaged, and don't have the same resistance to slipping on the polished flooring of such areas. The managers don't want public liability cases against them, and so they have to discourage those behaviours that leave them open to such litigation. It's a simple thing to just wear flip-flops while in public areas...why make such a fuss?

Never heard of this rule that you can’t walk around BAREFOOTED because you want to it’s a most Natural thing to do. I go everywhere Barefooted though I’m in a wheelchair all the time & don’t see the Benefits of wearing Shoes. My feet never touch the ground so why should I be forced to buy & wear shoes they are of no Benefit to my feet except causing Sweaty Hot feet wasting Money I don’t have on something I don’t need. You shouldn’t be forced to wear Shoes all the time & I do understand there are times when wearing Shoes are necessary but each to there own.
I too wouldn't wear shoes if I was in a wheelchair. Thank you for that as I am writing , a smile so big is on my face. Take care. 😄

View attachment 36235

View attachment 36237

Key Takeaways

Barefoot was always frowned upon. It was always a 'Health & Safety' risk. Even though Aussie's are very casual it's only in the last 10+ years that venues have stopped putting up signs and insisting customers wear 'appropriate 'clothing. But when I look at some of those feet I feel like insisting they wrap them inside a plastic bag, not just put on shoes. They are dirty, sweaty, and leave terrible footprints. All that, before you even mention the risk of injury and 'public liability' consideration. I support the store!

Reactions: relljube

View attachment 36235

View attachment 36237

Key Takeaways

Nothing wrong going barefoot I did when I was younger..her choice and people should mind their own business

Nothing new here. Am aware of this rule being widespread 20 years ago - just depends on who the security officer on the day is as to whether it is enforced.

It's all very well to say "people should mind their own business", but when you're on someone else's property, it is their business.

They are allowed to make their own rules and you are allowed to shop somewhere else.

As they say:
"If you don't like the way you are treated in a shop, voice your opinion with your feet." (pun intended)

It's as simple as that.

I cannot find any piece of legislation in footwear requirements for customers in shopping centres and policy, procedures and rules to govern such are not legally binding. But....if you are a worker in such a shopping centre, you are required to BY LAW to abide with the Workplace Health and Safety Act of whatever state you are in. This includes footwear.

Shop policies and rules are not worth the paper they are printed on. Same goes for the old "We reserve the right to inspect bags" mantra. A few years ago, I challenged an Aldi employee who tried to place his hand inside my bag. When I protested, he said it was his "right" to do so. Yeah right. Soon pulled his head in when I threatened him with police attendance and potential for a common assault charge.

View attachment 36235

View attachment 36237

Key Takeaways

Come on. Not hard to wear sandals etc. You could actually incur injury to your feet

Where I live, bare feet in public is fraught with danger from broken alcohol bottles and needle stick injuries. That's why I always wear covered shoes, rain, hail or shine, freezing cold or boiling hot. Except....

....two weeks ago on a warm day, I wore thongs on a 2 km walk. BIG mistake! Half way through, I stubbed my toe and bled profusely (I'm on blood thinners). The bastard still hasn't healed!

Where I live, bare feet in public is fraught with danger from broken alcohol bottles and needle stick injuries. That's why I always wear covered shoes, rain, hail or shine, freezing cold or boiling hot. Except....

....two weeks ago on a warm day, I wore thongs on a 2 km walk. BIG mistake! Half way through, I stubbed my toe and bled profusely (I'm on blood thinners). The bastard still hasn't healed!
What were you thinking🤔thongs on a walk. 🙀That’s a no no bad you.😼

• Sad
Reactions: Veggiepatch

I guess you won’t be promoting your area as a tourist destination unless they want to dice with death 😳