Woman calls it quits with her bank after being denied access to her own funds: 'What's the point of a bank?'

We often playfully joke about banks having complete control over our hard-earned cash, but the idea of them actually denying us access to our own funds? Unthinkable, right? Well, brace yourself for a real-life nightmare experienced by a woman from Brisbane.

Meet Taryn Compton, a Brisbane resident who found herself caught in the middle of a home renovation project and in need of a hefty sum of $3500.

Remember the good old days when you could stroll into a bank branch, flash your trusty ID to the friendly bank teller, and walk out with your own money, no questions asked? Ah, those were simpler times indeed, free from the technological fuss and hassle.

But alas, it seems like those simpler times are slipping away faster than we realise. Society is hurtling forward, embracing a cashless future, taking leap after leap away from the days of tangible currency.

Screen Shot 2023-07-04 at 11.16.31 AM.png
The customer couldn't understand why she could not access her own money. Credit: Shutterstock.

Taryn encountered a little hiccup when she realised she had forgotten to bring her ATM card along—a common mistake in this era of overwhelming digitalisation that has almost overshadowed physical banking tools. So, she had to resort to making her withdrawal in person at the bank branch.

Back in the good old days, this wouldn't have been such a big deal. But to her surprise, when Taryn approached the teller, she was informed that their branch was completely cashless. Yes, you read that correctly—a bank branch without any cash!

'She told me they don't have cash at the bank to give people anymore,' Taryn recalled her experience on The Today Show.

Eager to assist, the teller graciously walked Taryn through the process of installing a cashless app on her phone instead, which would allow her to withdraw money from the ATM conveniently located outside the bank. However, despite their best efforts, the app, unfortunately, failed to cooperate.

As a result, Taryn found herself in quite a predicament, stranded without access to the funds she desperately needed.

Taryn mentioned that the entire situation left her pondering Australia's banking system as a whole. After all, if you can't even get hold of your own money, it raises some serious doubts, doesn't it?

'The teller told me that if I wanted to get my cash out if I needed it that day, to transfer it to another bank and try somewhere else, so that's what I did,' she expressed. 'If you can't get your own money from a branch, what's the point of a bank?'

This incident might seem like a one-off, but it's a sign that our banking system is rapidly moving towards a digital, cashless future.

Today reached out to ANZ for comments, to which a spokesperson responded, 'At ANZ, we have seen in-branch transactions fall 50 per cent over the past five years, with just one per cent of transactions now done over the counter and 96 per cent conducted digitally.'

'Some ANZ branches no longer handle cash at the counter but continue to have cash available through our on-site Smart ATMs.'

Key Takeaways

• A Brisbane woman decided to close her account with ANZ bank after a teller told her she couldn't withdraw her own cash directly from the counter.
  • The situation arose when the woman didn't have her ATM card and was told that the local branch was cashless.
  • The bank's teller allegedly told the woman that she could only withdraw money from the ATM outside the branch.
  • ANZ responded to the incident by saying due to a fall in in-branch transactions and an increase in digital transactions, some branches have gone cashless but have cash available through on-site Smart ATMs.

Such a situation could really shake us up, especially if we're not exactly tech-savvy or comfortable navigating the world of digital finance. It's enough to make us question the very essence of banking and its relevance in this increasingly digital era.

It's always a good idea to stay informed and be aware of your bank's policies, especially regarding their digitalisation efforts and how these changes might impact you. And remember, don't hesitate to speak up if you have any concerns.

What do you think about this story, folks? Have any of you ever encountered a similar situation where digital banking turned out to be more of a hassle than a convenience? Share your experiences with us in the comments!

Sponsored
We often playfully joke about banks having complete control over our hard-earned cash, but the idea of them actually denying us access to our own funds? Unthinkable, right? Well, brace yourself for a real-life nightmare experienced by a woman from Brisbane.

Meet Taryn Compton, a Brisbane resident who found herself caught in the middle of a home renovation project and in need of a hefty sum of $3500.

Remember the good old days when you could stroll into a bank branch, flash your trusty ID to the friendly bank teller, and walk out with your own money, no questions asked? Ah, those were simpler times indeed, free from the technological fuss and hassle.

But alas, it seems like those simpler times are slipping away faster than we realise. Society is hurtling forward, embracing a cashless future, taking leap after leap away from the days of tangible currency.

View attachment 24035
The customer couldn't understand why she could not access her own money. Credit: Shutterstock.

Taryn encountered a little hiccup when she realised she had forgotten to bring her ATM card along—a common mistake in this era of overwhelming digitalisation that has almost overshadowed physical banking tools. So, she had to resort to making her withdrawal in person at the bank branch.

Back in the good old days, this wouldn't have been such a big deal. But to her surprise, when Taryn approached the teller, she was informed that their branch was completely cashless. Yes, you read that correctly—a bank branch without any cash!

'She told me they don't have cash at the bank to give people anymore,' Taryn recalled her experience on The Today Show.

Eager to assist, the teller graciously walked Taryn through the process of installing a cashless app on her phone instead, which would allow her to withdraw money from the ATM conveniently located outside the bank. However, despite their best efforts, the app, unfortunately, failed to cooperate.

As a result, Taryn found herself in quite a predicament, stranded without access to the funds she desperately needed.

Taryn mentioned that the entire situation left her pondering Australia's banking system as a whole. After all, if you can't even get hold of your own money, it raises some serious doubts, doesn't it?

'The teller told me that if I wanted to get my cash out if I needed it that day, to transfer it to another bank and try somewhere else, so that's what I did,' she expressed. 'If you can't get your own money from a branch, what's the point of a bank?'

This incident might seem like a one-off, but it's a sign that our banking system is rapidly moving towards a digital, cashless future.

Today reached out to ANZ for comments, to which a spokesperson responded, 'At ANZ, we have seen in-branch transactions fall 50 per cent over the past five years, with just one per cent of transactions now done over the counter and 96 per cent conducted digitally.'

'Some ANZ branches no longer handle cash at the counter but continue to have cash available through our on-site Smart ATMs.'

Key Takeaways

• A Brisbane woman decided to close her account with ANZ bank after a teller told her she couldn't withdraw her own cash directly from the counter.
  • The situation arose when the woman didn't have her ATM card and was told that the local branch was cashless.
  • The bank's teller allegedly told the woman that she could only withdraw money from the ATM outside the branch.
  • ANZ responded to the incident by saying due to a fall in in-branch transactions and an increase in digital transactions, some branches have gone cashless but have cash available through on-site Smart ATMs.

Such a situation could really shake us up, especially if we're not exactly tech-savvy or comfortable navigating the world of digital finance. It's enough to make us question the very essence of banking and its relevance in this increasingly digital era.

It's always a good idea to stay informed and be aware of your bank's policies, especially regarding their digitalisation efforts and how these changes might impact you. And remember, don't hesitate to speak up if you have any concerns.

What do you think about this story, folks? Have any of you ever encountered a similar situation where digital banking turned out to be more of a hassle than a convenience? Share your experiences with us in the comments!
This is going back 14 years. Our daughter was getting married and the venue gave us a better deal for a cash deposit. We had to ring the bank in advance to ensure they had physical cash available as the amount was with 5 zeros and could not be withdrawn from an ATM.

Recently I needed $10 for a purchase at the market and only had a $50 note. Went into my bank and asked if they could change it for me. The teller told me she wasn't allowed to do that!! I couldn't believe it and asked what was the point of being open if you can't help a customer. Reluctantly she eventually did give me change but also added "Don't expect me to do it again". I wasn't impressed.

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

ANZ bank refuses to redraw my loan in branch, they do not provide such service anymore - mobile app dies not have this functionality and I did not have a secured internet connection in Melbourne CBD to use with my laptop. I was outraged! In this digital age bank also did not provide in branch computer terminal for internet self-service.

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

Not good when you need money urgently and also only have a 1K limit on your cards

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

We had an experience with the Commonwealth Bank back in the 1970's when, on holidays from my job in Papua New Guinea we purchased a block of land and wanting to pay cash up front and with all of our funds tied up in term deposits and after both of us having banked with the Commonwealth since early childhood when the Bank visited the school and opened up bank accounts and gave out money boxes shaped like their main office and having my salary banked with the Commonwealth every fortnight we went to the George Street branch and requested a loan of about $3000 for 3 months so that we could return to Papua New Guinea and cash in one of our investment accounts only to be refused by the Bank because, as the Branch Manager told us that we were not living in Australia .
And this was when PNG was a protectorate of Australia.
However, when we returned to our Solicitors office to tell him this idiotic reason for our application being rejected he quickly phoned the State Bank in George Street and arranged for our loan on the spot.
Naturally we then returned to the Commonwealth Bank, closed all of our accounts, which cost us, despite the manager squealing like a stuck pig and we now refuse to go anywhere near this bank.

All this makes you want to cry sometimes. Try making a claim on insurance. Everything is done on the phone. If you don't know how to send photos and other information well bad luck. Maybe there should be classes for older people on how to use their phones.

All this makes you want to cry sometimes. Try making a claim on insurance. Everything is done on the phone. If you don't know how to send photos and other information well bad luck. Maybe there should be classes for older people on how to use their phones.
Usually, relatives help if needed.

Reactions: Pink lion and Ricci

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

Th e banks keep saying due to the amount of transactions that have reduced over a period is the reason why they no longer have cash available for counter withdrawal, what do they expect, they introduced the on line system to reduce customer counter activity, and its worked, now they are making you suffer by using there atm outside the bank, if they ahd any concerns for a customer, transactions at atm would be limited to a small amount and the larger withdrawals are made inside the bank, do they care about there customers safety, if i were that person i would find another bank that gives you proper banking service, if there is one left, cash is still the legal tender in australia, they should be made to service the people correctly, they have already reduced staff numbers because of there new technologies, the way its going there wont be any banks at all

I agree I had trouble with a seniors insurance I thought they were there to help older people but no. But i put on an app on my phone for my bank and it blocked all my banking but my bank Newcastle Per have lovely people there and the lady sorted it out and it isn't the first time they have taken the time to sort out my banking need so may be you should think about changing banks to get that help then when those bank dont have people like us going in they may think about it

View attachment 24035

Key Takeaways

It is indeed rather unfortunate for anyone who can’t catch up with technology that is meant to make life easier.
Imagine you would still need to use a phone booth if you forgot to bring your mobile phone along. But mobile phones are so important for anywhere communication, even visually communicating with someone using another mobile phone.
The bank going cashless? Perhaps the only advantage is prevention of a break-in robbery but thieves are also getting smart by “digital” stealing through hacking.
Perhaps we should offer a free service to help Seniors prepare better for the digital world.

That’s a good idea, BUT updates always happen, newer, complicated models appear, elederly just cannot keep buying new phones to the worlds whim! I have a phone, a phone that makes and receives calls. That’s what a phone is to me. My computer is at home.