Woman asks the internet: Should you be embarrassed if your partner is a 'cheapskate'?

We’ve all heard the expression ‘love makes us do crazy things’–but should it mean having to tolerate your partner’s quirky budgeting habits?

That’s the dilemma faced by one woman who recently took to social media to ask if she was in the wrong for being embarrassed by her partner’s ‘cheapskate’ behaviour.

‘We’ve been dating for about 4 months, and mostly it’s been good. He’s cute, smart, and very successful,’ she began in the post.

‘The only downside is that he’s almost addicted to buying things that are on sale or have coupons despite being a Vice President (VP) at his company. I’m not talking about sometimes or even most of the time, I would be alright with that. He never buys anything at full price. NEVER!’ the woman wrote.

Screenshot 2023-08-25 140025.png
A woman asked social media if she should feel embarrassed about her ‘cheapskate’ partner. Credit: Shift Drive/Shutterstock

The woman gave examples of how her partner displays this behaviour: from planning meals around what’s on sale at the grocery stores to eating at restaurants using coupons.

'Last week we were at my friend’s house for dinner and she commented on his shirt,’ she shared. ‘He proudly said he got it on clearance last year for $20. I was mortified.’

Things worsened when they recently went out to dinner, and the restaurant’s computer didn’t recognise his digital coupon.

She said she was ‘so embarrassed’ she left him standing in line by himself and went to the car.

‘He had a digital coupon for buy one get one free. For some reason, the restaurant’s computer didn’t recognise the deal, and the poor cashier couldn’t make it work,’ she explained.

‘We held up the crowded line because he refused to pay for both dinners. Finally, the cashier called the manager, but he was busy somewhere else in the restaurant.’

She mentioned they argued the entire drive home and didn’t communicate the next day.

The post received mixed reactions from internet users.

For some, it was all down to a simple fact.

‘You are just not compatible,’ said one user.

But for others, the boyfriend was being reasonable. Another comment read: ‘What's so terrible about that? As long as he's never rude or demanding to retail staff, he's smart to chase the best deal on everything.’

‘Why didn't you just pay for the dinner if you were so worried about the line of annoyed folks?’ a third pointed out.

And then there were also those who took on the middle ground.

‘Being thrifty is fine, but when it’s an around-the-clock obsession with deals and pinching pennies, it becomes exhausting, especially when it affects you as the partner,’ stressed another commenter.

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with wanting to save money where possible–but it's also important to be aware of how this affects you and your other half and talk openly about it.

You can read the full post and comments here.

Key Takeaways
  • A woman has expressed on social media her embarrassment and frustration with her boyfriend’s constant hunt for bargains and deals, despite him being financially well-off.
  • Her post has sparked debate, with some users siding with her and saying it could be a sign of incompatibility, but others defended the boyfriend’s frugality.
  • The writer describes her boyfriend as 'smart and very successful' but can't come to terms with his desire for a bargain, which has led to embarrassment and arguments.

Members, do you have a ‘cheapskate’ story of your own? At what point do you think someone can cross the line into being too budget-conscious? Share your thoughts in the comments section below–we’d love to hear your stories!

Sponsored
Firstly what was wrong with him saying he paid $20 for his shirt on clearance, maybe if he said he got it from the op shop she would have a reason to be embarrassed.
Although I wouldn't be.

As for the coupon, when and where do we have coupons 2 for 1, at least he is taking her out.

I see my son spending so much money on dinners out and clothes, would live him to be a little more like this young man.

Sounds to me like she may be a spender liking good things

Last edited:
Oh dear! A $20 t-shirt? Was anything wrong with it? Discount vouchers for a restaurant? What's wrong with that?

The woman is afflicted by the "look at me!" syndrome. Does she think that buying expensive and overpriced items make her a better person? I've got news for you, lady. Pull ya head in!

Anyway, the whole article reeks of America or.....

.....Melbourne.

Last edited:
Fair dinkum at least he will have money for any future adventures and if the woman is so worried about being embarrassed why doesn't she spend her money on full priced items!!! She should be applauding him on saving his money and not wasting it, I dare say this woman is use to wasting other peoples money and I believe this mans company would be profitable too if his home life is an example of his achievements HONESTLY some people, I'm a woman and I'm embarrassed for her, hopefully he dodge a bullet with that one

I just bought my Husband a lovely navy cardigan for $20.
It was marked down from $59.99 because there was a small hole in the stitching of the pocket.
It took me 5 minutes to sew it up. I considered it a bargain, and it fits him perfectly.

You my dear are an absolute SNOB, he should kick you to the kerb and he should get someone who appreciates his way of life, I can't see anything the matter with it, you wouldn't be bitching if you married him and went on great holidays with all the money saved. BOO HOO go away. I usually don't buy anything that isn't on special or marked down, I have travelled the World 4 times and am off to Africa next year, with guess what ALL THE SAVINGS I HAVE FROM BUYING SPECIALS.

Last edited:
We’ve all heard the expression ‘love makes us do crazy things’–but should it mean having to tolerate your partner’s quirky budgeting habits?

That’s the dilemma faced by one woman who recently took to social media to ask if she was in the wrong for being embarrassed by her partner’s ‘cheapskate’ behaviour.

‘We’ve been dating for about 4 months, and mostly it’s been good. He’s cute, smart, and very successful,’ she began in the post.

‘The only downside is that he’s almost addicted to buying things that are on sale or have coupons despite being a Vice President (VP) at his company. I’m not talking about sometimes or even most of the time, I would be alright with that. He never buys anything at full price. NEVER!’ the woman wrote.

View attachment 28288
A woman asked social media if she should feel embarrassed about her ‘cheapskate’ partner. Credit: Shift Drive/Shutterstock

The woman gave examples of how her partner displays this behaviour: from planning meals around what’s on sale at the grocery stores to eating at restaurants using coupons.

'Last week we were at my friend’s house for dinner and she commented on his shirt,’ she shared. ‘He proudly said he got it on clearance last year for $20. I was mortified.’

Things worsened when they recently went out to dinner, and the restaurant’s computer didn’t recognise his digital coupon.

She said she was ‘so embarrassed’ she left him standing in line by himself and went to the car.

‘He had a digital coupon for buy one get one free. For some reason, the restaurant’s computer didn’t recognise the deal, and the poor cashier couldn’t make it work,’ she explained.

‘We held up the crowded line because he refused to pay for both dinners. Finally, the cashier called the manager, but he was busy somewhere else in the restaurant.’

She mentioned they argued the entire drive home and didn’t communicate the next day.

But for others, the boyfriend was being reasonable. Another comment read: ‘What's so terrible about that? As long as he's never rude or demanding to retail staff, he's smart to chase the best deal on everything.’

‘Why didn't you just pay for the dinner if you were so worried about the line of annoyed folks?’ a third pointed out.

‘Being thrifty is fine, but when it’s an around-the-clock obsession with deals and pinching pennies, it becomes exhausting, especially when it affects you as the partner,’ stressed another commenter.

To be fair, there's nothing wrong with wanting to save money where possible–but it's also important to be aware of how this affects you and your other half and talk openly about it.

Key Takeaways

• A woman has expressed on social media her embarrassment and frustration with her boyfriend’s constant hunt for bargains and deals, despite him being financially well-off.
  • Her post has sparked debate, with some users siding with her and saying it could be a sign of incompatibility, but others defended the boyfriend’s frugality.
  • The writer describes her boyfriend as 'smart and very successful' but can't come to terms with his desire for a bargain, which has led to embarrassment and arguments.

Members, do you have a ‘cheapskate’ story of your own? At what point do you think someone can cross the line into being too budget-conscious? Share your thoughts in the comments section below–we’d love to hear your stories!
no. i am a thrifty buyer. named clothes but at sale prices. all on line. love it.

no. i am a thrifty buyer. named clothes but at sale prices. all on line. love it.

View attachment 28288

Key Takeaways

I don't think I believe half of these stories at all

If hubby and I were not thrifty throughout our lives, we would not own our own house and car, have food on the table every day and get the kids successfully on the path to their chosen careers by helping them with resources along the way.
The upshot is, snobbish behaviour only serves to display the true nature of a person. I don't give two hoots how much money someone has. What I care about is how he/she treats others and does not tread on peoples' dignity to achieve their goals.
If this girl's opinion is jaded by the fact that her boyfriend is thrifty, well, perhaps their relationship is not meant to be. If it is poor behaviour that is the problem, then she should talk to him about it, or simply walk away. If my hubby of 43 years acts like a very naughty boy when we are out and about, I pull him up on it, just as he does me if I am a very naughty girl.
Being a big sook on social media does not a strong relationship make.

Nothing wrong with saving money where you can - however do people really need to know when and how much you paid for your clothes? Perhaps just accepting the compliment and moving on would have been a better way to handle this. I also agree that dinner coupons are great BUT if you’re so worried about paying for the second meal- then phone ahead yo endure your coupon is accepted and don’t make a fuss and hold everyone else up - sorry guys I seem to be a lone voice here - but I feel for the lady in this case - the whole thing probably spoiled their evening!

View attachment 28288

Key Takeaways

I like the man already......

Nothing wrong with saving money where you can - however do people really need to know when and how much you paid for your clothes? Perhaps just accepting the compliment and moving on would have been a better way to handle this. I also agree that dinner coupons are great BUT if you’re so worried about paying for the second meal- then phone ahead yo endure your coupon is accepted and don’t make a fuss and hold everyone else up - sorry guys I seem to be a lone voice here - but I feel for the lady in this case - the whole thing probably spoiled their evening!
I still wear clothing that is 35 years old. I can't remember when I last bought anything..... maybe a pair of Croks in Thailand.

Reactions: Observer