Winner crowned! Which Australian bakery serves the best pie? Find out here!

It's no secret that Australians love a good pie!

So, it's with great pleasure that we announce the recent crowning of Australia's best pie, and it features an unusual recipe.

This year's winner has secured the title for the first time and also serves a truly unique and delicious creation.

Introducing Country Cob Bakery, a humble establishment in Victoria run by Cambodian migrant brothers Chan and Ryan Khun.

This delightful bakery, with outlets in the suburbs of Melbourne (Boronia and Springvale), as well as in the charming regional town of Kyneton, has been awarded the title of Australia's Best Pie.

pie1.jpg
Country Cob Bakery makes the best pie in Australia. Credit: Country Cob Bakery

Securing this highly sought-after honour at the Baking Association of Australia’s (BAA) Best Pie and Pastie Competition – the widely-considered definitive judge on the matter – Country Cob Bakery outshone over 300 competing bakeries from across the nation.

So, what's the secret to their success? It turns out that the brothers’ Cambodian-inspired Fish Amok Pie won the hearts of the judges!

This scrumptious fish curry pie, crafted using fresh Australian barramundi, pays tribute to one of Cambodia’s national dishes.

‘Fish amok or Amok Trei is a Khmer steamed fish curry with a mousse-like consistency,’ the bakery mentioned on social media after their win.

pie2.jpg
Country Cob Bakery’s Fish Amok Pie won the prestigious award. Credit: Country Cob Bakery

‘The dish is usually served hot in either banana leaf or coconut shells eaten with steamed rice,’ the post continued.

Not only did their fish amok pie take first place in the seafood pie category, but the competition’s Chief Judge, Stewart Latter, lauded their creation for its delicate, crumbly pastry and ‘amazing’ flavour.

When asked about the ingredients of his award-winning masterpiece, Country Cob Bakery co-owner Chan Khun said that it's all about making his customers happy.

‘Our pies make people smile,’ Chan explained.

‘That’s the main thing. Every pie we send out, the customer (says) “wow”, that’s the best pie (they’d) ever had.’

Country Cob Bakery is no stranger to awards, having secured top nods four times in a row from 2018 to 2020 at the BAA awards. Their trophy cabinet, already gleaming, has expanded this year with the addition of two more first-place awards.

Their Pepper Beef Pie clinched the Best Flavour Beef Pie category, and their Black Forest Mushroom Pie came out victorious in the Best Mushroom Pie category.

Feeling peckish yet? Those looking to try these award-winning pies can get them at the Country Cobb stores in Kyneton, Boronia and Springvale.

For our readers in Canberra and Sydney, you can savour a taste of these award-winning pies by ordering online.
Key Takeaways
  • The best pie in Australia has been revealed, with Country Cob Bakery taking home the coveted award for their Cambodian-inspired fish amok pie.
  • Country Cob Bakery is run by migrant Cambodian brothers Chan and Ryan Khun and has stores in Boronia, Springvale, and Kyneton.
  • The bakery won the top spot at the Baking Association of Australia's Best Pie and Pastie Competition, beating out over 300 other bakeries.
  • In addition to the top award, Country Cob Bakery won first place in the Best Flavour Beef Pie category for their pepper beef pie and in the Best Mushroom Pie category for their Black Forest mushroom pie.
What’s the best pie flavour you’ve ever tasted? Do you know how to make your own pies from scratch? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments!

Sponsored

So, it's with great pleasure that we announce the recent crowning of Australia's best pie, and it features an unusual recipe.

This year's winner has secured the title for the first time and also serves a truly unique and delicious creation.

Introducing Country Cob Bakery, a humble establishment in Victoria run by Cambodian migrant brothers Chan and Ryan Khun.

This delightful bakery, with outlets in the suburbs of Melbourne (Boronia and Springvale), as well as in the charming regional town of Kyneton, has been awarded the title of Australia's Best Pie.

View attachment 21812

Securing this highly sought-after honour at the Baking Association of Australia’s (BAA) Best Pie and Pastie Competition – the widely-considered definitive judge on the matter – Country Cob Bakery outshone over 300 competing bakeries from across the nation.

So, what's the secret to their success? It turns out that the brothers’ Cambodian-inspired Fish Amok Pie won the hearts of the judges!

This scrumptious fish curry pie, crafted using fresh Australian barramundi, pays tribute to one of Cambodia’s national dishes.

‘Fish amok or Amok Trei is a Khmer steamed fish curry with a mousse-like consistency,’ the bakery mentioned on social media after their win.

View attachment 21813
Country Cob Bakery’s Fish Amok Pie won the prestigious award. Credit: Country Cob Bakery

‘The dish is usually served hot in either banana leaf or coconut shells eaten with steamed rice,’ the post continued.

Not only did their fish amok pie take first place in the seafood pie category, but the competition’s Chief Judge, Stewart Latter, lauded their creation for its delicate, crumbly pastry and ‘amazing’ flavour.

When asked about the ingredients of his award-winning masterpiece, Country Cob Bakery co-owner Chan Khun said that it's all about making his customers happy.

‘That’s the main thing. Every pie we send out, the customer (says) “wow”, that’s the best pie (they’d) ever had.’

Country Cob Bakery is no stranger to awards, having secured top nods four times in a row from 2018 to 2020 at the BAA awards. Their trophy cabinet, already gleaming, has expanded this year with the addition of two more first-place awards.

Their Pepper Beef Pie clinched the Best Flavour Beef Pie category, and their Black Forest Mushroom Pie came out victorious in the Best Mushroom Pie category.

Feeling peckish yet? Those looking to try these award-winning pies can get them at the Country Cobb stores in Kyneton, Boronia and Springvale.

For our readers in Canberra and Sydney, you can savour a taste of these award-winning pies by ordering online.
Key Takeaways

• The best pie in Australia has been revealed, with Country Cob Bakery taking home the coveted award for their Cambodian-inspired fish amok pie.
  • Country Cob Bakery is run by migrant Cambodian brothers Chan and Ryan Khun and has stores in Boronia, Springvale, and Kyneton.
  • The bakery won the top spot at the Baking Association of Australia's Best Pie and Pastie Competition, beating out over 300 other bakeries.
  • In addition to the top award, Country Cob Bakery won first place in the Best Flavour Beef Pie category for their pepper beef pie and in the Best Mushroom Pie category for their Black Forest mushroom pie.
What’s the best pie flavour you’ve ever tasted? Do you know how to make your own pies from scratch? Share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comments!
The best pie we had was in Gulgong NSW. Au. It had meat, tomato, cheese, and a whole egg. They were just delicious!

View attachment 21812

View attachment 21813

Key Takeaways

Good grief! What a selection! Growing up in the fifties in a small country town, we had two choices: beef pie or potato pie. If you were feeling adventurous, you could have a pastie.

Congratulations to the winner, he’s onto a winner with pies, because most Aussies just love them!

View attachment 21812

View attachment 21813

Key Takeaways

Love a home-made pie. I've yet to find one here in the Cairns area. Best pies I've had so far were from Yatala pies down Brisbane way. It may be brekkie time but all this talk of pies has left me craving one.

Love a home-made pie. I've yet to find one here in the Cairns area. Best pies I've had so far were from Yatala pies down Brisbane way. It may be brekkie time but all this talk of pies has left me craving one.
@Ricki a friend of ours (who has lived in Cairns almost all his life), swears by the pies from the Babinda Bakery. I've never tasted them as I have Coeliac Disease, but perhaps you should take a drive down there and then report back to us!

Last edited:
Reactions: Marj53
I make my own pies quite regularly.
My families favourite is chicken, leek and mushroom, followed by egg and bacon. Not a fan of fish pie.
Your my hero I could not make a pie if my life depended on it !! I find it impossible to make pastry myself and have even failed if using frozen pastry. I could make the filling quite easily, would just have nothing to put it into, mashed potatoe with the filling is about as far as I can go, I have other inabilities in cookery that amuse my long suffering husband, the one that causes him the most amusement being my spectacular fails in putting together a cake using a packet mix, I could start a business in cute original doorstops. even so my husband tells everyone that I can cook, its just that we both know that my sucesful recipes are limited to savoury only and definitely no sweets/desserts.

Gum Tree pies from Yackandandah. They also have an outlet in Wodonga. My family cannot get enough of all of their flavours.

Agree 100% Yatala has some of the best pies I have eaten..I admit to favouring a seafood mornay one followed closely by a good old chunky steak.

Ricki, my son lives in Cairns & I will ask him to recommend a good pie for you. Not that it will ever come close to a Yatala pie but he is a connoisseur of eating & will point me in the right way.

View attachment 21812

View attachment 21813

Key Takeaways

My choice is a long way from Melbourne in the Queensland city of Rockhampton. McHugh's Pie Shop is in Nobb Street North Rocky and sell out of their flaky pastry pasties nearly every day. Just about worth taking a trip to Central Queensland to enjoy them. Yum !!

I went to the Kyneton bakery last Saturday and go this Fish Amok pie. OMG!!!!! It is bloody amazing! If you are in the region, go and try their pies and cakes out. :)

I make my own pies , I love that I know what goes into them.

My pies are made with chuck steak or gravy beef in a beautiful rich gravy . The beef I cook in a slow cooker. The base is a short crust pastry and the lid is a flaky pastry .

Pies are actually one of the easiest things to make

Reactions: mylittletibbies