Will Kmart and Target's $10 billion merger make prices plummet?

In retail, Kmart and Target have notably been two household names that have brought joy, convenience, and worthwhile deals to the thrifty Australian shopper.

They've each carved their niche and stood up against stiff competition, winning over customers with their unique brand appeal.

But now, as people are always looking for a good bargain, an announcement has us doing a double-take.

We're talking about the shocking merger of Kmart and Target.

photo.jpg
Kmart and Target have merged. Source: Wikimedia Commons

Now you may wonder, what will this mean for our favourite shopping destinations? Are lower prices on the horizon?

According to one expert, not only will prices dip, but there'll also be a wider range of products.

This would indeed be a significant win for thrifty customers who appreciate quality at affordable prices.

Recently, the news that Wesfarmers, the parent company of Kmart and Target, plans to amalgamate these retail powerhouses into a single $10 billion retail giant came out.

Structurally, some changes are on the table.

Kmart’s Chief Executive John Gualtieri will helm the day-to-day operations of this revamped retail titan, while Target's Managing Director Richard Pearson will don a new role within Wesfarmers.

Dr Gary Mortimer of the Queensland University of Technology, an established retail expert, believes this merger is a boon for consumers. He thinks this will lead to a greater selection and more affordable prices for the favourite items we've always sought.

'Customers won't notice. The brands will still be operated as two separate brands,' Dr Mortimer assured us.

'You’ll still have your favourite Kmart store, the Target store will remain mostly the same. The biggest change customers should expect is lower prices over the next 12 to 24 months.'

Interestingly, the retail expert hints that product duplication, a notable past issue, will be curtailed.

Remember those indistinguishable $12 toasters at both stores that had you in quite a quandary?

Dr Mortimer indicated those days could soon be history.

This removal of duplicate items should increase efficiency and drive down costs, leading to lower prices.

In the digital age, customer reactions on social media have become a significant barometer of public sentiment.

The news of the merger elicited a mixed bag of emotions.

Some customers responded with humorous new names such as ‘Tarmart’ or ‘Karget’, while others expressed concern about the future of their favourite products.

One customer shared on social media, 'As long as they keep their prices low, I’m happy with that.'

Others expressed that they are fine with the merger as long as the products are ‘Target’ quality.

Target’s Cannibalisation​

compressed-shutterstock_1452764192 (1).jpeg
As part of the merger, Target is undergoing a transformation to become a more up-market brand. This strategic move aims to position Target differently in the market and offer a more elevated shopping experience to its customers. Source: Shutterstock

In recent years, Target has been struggling, and there were even speculations about the Target brand being axed altogether.

In 2021, Wesfarmers announced that 75 Target stores closed permanently, and 44 Target stores were rebranded as Kmart or 'KHub'.

Dr Mortimer also predicted that the stronger brand, Kmart, would likely overshadow the weaker brand, Target, as the merger moves forward.

Kmart Group Managing Director Ian Bailey said, ‘Kmart and Target are both strong businesses. I don’t see us doing this from a position of weakness. It’s quite the opposite. I’d say we’re strong, but I think there’s an opportunity to really capitalise on this time and find ways to continue to deliver better value for customers.’

Key Takeaways
  • Target has been merged into Kmart, creating a dual-brand retail giant valued at approximately $10 billion.
  • A retail expert predicts the merger will result in more affordable products and a wider range.
  • Existing Kmart and Target stores are expected to mostly remain the same with less duplication of products.
  • The merger is predicted to lower prices over the next 12 to 24 months.

From what we can glean, this shift in Australia's retail sector promises an enriched shopping experience with better prices and more choices.

Change, though often daunting, can pave the way for exciting potentialities.

So, dust off those shopping lists and keep an eye out for new bargains and valuable finds in the coming months. Happy shopping!

Members, do you think this will positively impact the shopping experience and lead to better prices for consumers? Share your opinions and expectations about the Kmart and Target merger!

Sponsored
On the Northern Beaches we use to have a Kmart and a Target. Kmart is Kmart they have some really good stuff about every 4/5 years that is worth purchasing. Nevertheless I still go in for a browse...just in case. Target on the other hand always had something I wanted and better quality, I loved it. Then the target changed to Kmart..ugh, our closest store being about a 30 minute drive away and to a mega shopping centre that I don't go to. I really needed something recently and have previously bought it from Target so I convinced myself that we needed to make the trek to Target. Drive there was reasonable parking was atrocious and had to ask three people where westfield was. After a bit of walking we finally made it to Target and what a wasted trip it was. I feel Target quality has gone out the door since it moved from the mall. The clothing was terrible and had absolutely nothing that I needed to buy....ohhh pooey bum fart stinkhole what to do now?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Leenie and terri
We use to have both Target and Kmart, which gave us a greater choice of larger fitting clothing. They shut Target, who had the better selection, forcing us into Kmart, who often don't have much of a selection in the larger fittings especially for men. I now drive to Morwell to Big W at least there I can get sizes 3XL with some verity and reasonable quality for my man. Just curious with this merger will they improve the selection at Kmart for clothing and bring in some the things we loved about Target shopping?

In retail, Kmart and Target have notably been two household names that have brought joy, convenience, and worthwhile deals to the thrifty Australian shopper.

They've each carved their niche and stood up against stiff competition, winning over customers with their unique brand appeal.

But now, as people are always looking for a good bargain, an announcement has us doing a double-take.

View attachment 25984

Now you may wonder, what will this mean for our favourite shopping destinations? Are lower prices on the horizon?

According to one expert, not only will prices dip, but there'll also be a wider range of products.

This would indeed be a significant win for thrifty customers who appreciate quality at affordable prices.

Recently, the news that Wesfarmers, the parent company of Kmart and Target, plans to amalgamate these retail powerhouses into a single $10 billion retail giant came out.

Kmart’s Chief Executive John Gualtieri will helm the day-to-day operations of this revamped retail titan, while Target's Managing Director Richard Pearson will don a new role within Wesfarmers.

Dr Gary Mortimer of the Queensland University of Technology, an established retail expert, believes this merger is a boon for consumers. He thinks this will lead to a greater selection and more affordable prices for the favourite items we've always sought.

'Customers won't notice. The brands will still be operated as two separate brands,' Dr Mortimer assured us.

'You’ll still have your favourite Kmart store, the Target store will remain mostly the same. The biggest change customers should expect is lower prices over the next 12 to 24 months.'

Interestingly, the retail expert hints that product duplication, a notable past issue, will be curtailed.

Remember those indistinguishable $12 toasters at both stores that had you in quite a quandary?

This removal of duplicate items should increase efficiency and drive down costs, leading to lower prices.

In the digital age, customer reactions on social media have become a significant barometer of public sentiment.

Some customers responded with humorous new names such as ‘Tarmart’ or ‘Karget’, while others expressed concern about the future of their favourite products.

One customer shared on social media, 'As long as they keep their prices low, I’m happy with that.'

Others expressed that they are fine with the merger as long as the products are ‘Target’ quality.

View attachment 25985
As part of the merger, Target is undergoing a transformation to become a more up-market brand. This strategic move aims to position Target differently in the market and offer a more elevated shopping experience to its customers. Source: Shutterstock

In recent years, Target has been struggling, and there were even speculations about the Target brand being axed altogether.

In 2021, Wesfarmers announced that 75 Target stores closed permanently, and 44 Target stores were rebranded as Kmart or 'KHub'.

Dr Mortimer also predicted that the stronger brand, Kmart, would likely overshadow the weaker brand, Target, as the merger moves forward.

Kmart Group Managing Director Ian Bailey said, ‘Kmart and Target are both strong businesses. I don’t see us doing this from a position of weakness. It’s quite the opposite. I’d say we’re strong, but I think there’s an opportunity to really capitalise on this time and find ways to continue to deliver better value for customers.’

Key Takeaways

• Target has been merged into Kmart, creating a dual-brand retail giant valued at approximately $10 billion.
  • A retail expert predicts the merger will result in more affordable products and a wider range.
  • Existing Kmart and Target stores are expected to mostly remain the same with less duplication of products.

From what we can glean, this shift in Australia's retail sector promises an enriched shopping experience with better prices and more choices.

So, dust off those shopping lists and keep an eye out for new bargains and valuable finds in the coming months. Happy shopping!

Members, do you think this will positively impact the shopping experience and lead to better prices for consumers? Share your opinions and expectations about the Kmart and Target merger!

Get it right people, This merger will only benefit Wesfarmer's bottom line and not the consumers. Anko is Chinese Kmart and it won't be long before a Chinese line name will be in Target.
Two different brand stores making money for just the one conglomerate .
Some of the companies they own

Bunnings,

Target

Kmart Group

Wesfarmers Chemicals, Energy and Fertilisers​

Officeworks​

Wesfarmers Industrial and Safety​

flybuys (50%0​

BWP Trust (100% )​

Gresham Partners (50%)​

Wespine Industries (50%)​

Bet very few knew the extent of the tenticles of the Wesfarmers octopus.

The quality of clothing in my target store has gone downhill the last couple of years. I fear this will be more so once the two stores merge, welcoming more cheap low quality stuff from China. How sad, target was always more expensive but I was happy to pay more for a better product!

Get it right people, This merger will only benefit Wesfarmer's bottom line and not the consumers. Anko is Chinese Kmart and it won't be long before a Chinese line name will be in Target.
Two different brand stores making money for just the one conglomerate .
Some of the companies they own

Bunnings,

Target

Kmart Group

Wesfarmers Chemicals, Energy and Fertilisers

Officeworks

Wesfarmers Industrial and Safety

flybuys (50%0

BWP Trust (100% )

Gresham Partners (50%)

Wespine Industries (50%)

Bet very few knew the extent of the tenticles of the Wesfarmers octopus.
As a very happy shareholder of Wesfarmers (a wholly Australian owned company) I am very much aware of the various businesses owned by the company and before the sale of Coles, I was able to do the bulk of my shopping in Wesfarmers owned businesses.

You fogot to mention that the "octopus" also owns Australian Pharmaceutical Industries Limited (API) which is the parent company of Priceline and Soul Pattinson Chemists.

Reactions: Thecla
Only time will tell what prices will be.

Big question is I wonder what the name will be !
The names will be Target and Kmart, just as they have always been.

The merger means that there will be one administration of the two separate chains. This will reduce overhead expenses.

Reactions: Ezzy and Bridgit
Don't forget the carry on when the,then, Cole's group took over Myer. Shock horror 😲. Myer was gone, taken over by a supermarket chain.....
As Hal Todd used to say, "Today's the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. Nothing has happened and nothing will."😉

Reactions: Leenie

View attachment 25984

View attachment 25985

Key Takeaways

If you think this merger will bring cheaper prices , you have your head in the sand! In the long term all prices will increase. These conglomerates are in business to generate high profits.

View attachment 25984

View attachment 25985

Key Takeaways

Less competition what do you think 🤔 price's will rise greed and profits 📈 now run these companies

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
What's the best in a big shopping centre with both stores now, one will go. I like Target for some clothes that aren't available in Kmart. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: Ezzy and Bridgit

View attachment 25984

View attachment 25985

Key Takeaways

nobody is forced to do anything. if you do not like it do not purchase. as they merkats say simple.

Reactions: Bridgit

The merger means that there will be one administration of the two separate chains. This will reduce overhead expenses.
yet above it says in 2021 44 target were rebranded as Kmart or Khub. Guess there is no longer a decision or guessing what it will be called.

At times like this l wish l had a crystal ball.

We do know that a merger will take place & a lot of the dead wood in the top management will be eliminated, possibly at a huge cost to shareholders.
Store names may or may not change, duplication between Target & Kmart will be eliminated & that Kmart has been the stronger store in trading terms.
A timeline of 12-24 months has been mentioned to see cheaper prices & this move should be good for the economy. There will be no competition between the two companies as exists now & prices would be expected to decrease because of this.

I guess this is no different to Bunnings taking over several companies to become a competitive force in hardware.

If you think this merger will bring cheaper prices , you have your head in the sand! In the long term all prices will increase. These conglomerates are in business to generate high profits.
Very True!! you only need to look at what the commonwealth bank put out last week

Reactions: Ezzy
The quality of clothing in my target store has gone downhill the last couple of years. I fear this will be more so once the two stores merge, welcoming more cheap low quality stuff from China. How sad, target was always more expensive but I was happy to pay more for a better product!
I fully agree here....I did the test LOL

One can only hope.

Reactions: Ezzy