Will Australia become a republic? Governor-General says there is a possibility

We hope it’s still a long way off, but following the passing of the Queen, Australia's Governor-General has mentioned the possibility of the nation changing its form of government to a republic.

David Hurley, the representative of the Queen in Australia, was in London for the Jubilee celebrations honouring her seventieth year of service. During his time there, he was questioned about the likelihood of Australia severing its ties with the monarchy.

"I believe that people are currently focused on the Queen and that when she departs, when she passes away, and the succession takes over, there will be a new discussion in Australia," he told reporters.

According to Mr Hurley, there is an "enormous well of emotional support" for Her Majesty; however, things are subject to change under the reign of a new monarch.

NmMcKHBoyHP05LqWQYZLbSvqw552d8L8H5dHyNt2vwDHXvIBjmeGMyZxnEUj4TWTH2IVyPXobYTvlVP8WDXfQXxFcBwgMrsUYPBLz0pu6upAe7yhKCR_sZlL5WTg866fKqoQNA9iNNWvro0ynQ

Matt Thistlethwaite shakes hands with Governor General David Hurley at Government House. Credit: Lukas Coch/AAP.
This comes after Prime Minister Anthony Albanese changed the name of an island on Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra to Queen Elizabeth II Island in honour of the Jubilee milestone.

On Saturday, Mr Albanese gave a speech in which he praised the Queen, and he also unveiled a monument that was dedicated to her honour.

"She has stood with Australia as a true and steadfast friend," Mr Albanese said. "We give her name to this place in the heart of our capital – a place where history and progress meet."

"It is a fitting salute to Her Majesty, and celebrates her long life and 70 years of service to Australia and the Commonwealth, including her 16 visits to our shores," he went on to say.

Mr Albanese also told reporters that Australians "will determine the future themselves", despite the fact that he is widely known for his unwavering advocacy of the nation converting to a republic.

"Today is not the day for such discussions; instead, it is the day to honour Her Majesty and her service to Australia," he said.

If Mr Albanese's government is successful in winning a second term in 2025, they have assured the Australian people that they will put them in another republican referendum.

In a referendum that took place back in 1999, the people of Australia voiced their opposition to the proposed constitutional amendment.

After Labor was elected to lead the government a month ago, Matt Thistlethwaite was given the position of new assistant minister.

Mr Thistlethwaite remarked that it was high time to engage in discussions concerning the future of the nation.

In an interview with Sky News Australia, he said, "I'd like to congratulate the Queen on her jubilee and reign. I believe she has been a fantastic monarch and leader of the Commonwealth."

"But, as she nears the twilight of her reign, I believe Australians are naturally beginning to wonder what comes next for the country," he continued.

"Do we want King Charles, or are we mature and independent enough to appoint one of our own as our head of state?"

This past weekend, Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her 70th year on the throne, and it has been noted that there is a significant amount of support in Australia for the current monarch.

In spite of the fact that the recently elected Labor government is strongly in favour of establishing a republic, many experts are saying that it is unlikely that Australia will ever do so.

What are your thoughts, folks?

Sponsored

We hope it’s still a long way off, but following the passing of the Queen, Australia's Governor-General has mentioned the possibility of the nation changing its form of government to a republic.

David Hurley, the representative of the Queen in Australia, was in London for the Jubilee celebrations honouring her seventieth year of service. During his time there, he was questioned about the likelihood of Australia severing its ties with the monarchy.

"I believe that people are currently focused on the Queen and that when she departs, when she passes away, and the succession takes over, there will be a new discussion in Australia," he told reporters.

According to Mr Hurley, there is an "enormous well of emotional support" for Her Majesty; however, things are subject to change under the reign of a new monarch.

NmMcKHBoyHP05LqWQYZLbSvqw552d8L8H5dHyNt2vwDHXvIBjmeGMyZxnEUj4TWTH2IVyPXobYTvlVP8WDXfQXxFcBwgMrsUYPBLz0pu6upAe7yhKCR_sZlL5WTg866fKqoQNA9iNNWvro0ynQ

Matt Thistlethwaite shakes hands with Governor General David Hurley at Government House. Credit: Lukas Coch/AAP.
This comes after Prime Minister Anthony Albanese changed the name of an island on Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra to Queen Elizabeth II Island in honour of the Jubilee milestone.

On Saturday, Mr Albanese gave a speech in which he praised the Queen, and he also unveiled a monument that was dedicated to her honour.

"She has stood with Australia as a true and steadfast friend," Mr Albanese said. "We give her name to this place in the heart of our capital – a place where history and progress meet."

"It is a fitting salute to Her Majesty, and celebrates her long life and 70 years of service to Australia and the Commonwealth, including her 16 visits to our shores," he went on to say.

Mr Albanese also told reporters that Australians "will determine the future themselves", despite the fact that he is widely known for his unwavering advocacy of the nation converting to a republic.

"Today is not the day for such discussions; instead, it is the day to honour Her Majesty and her service to Australia," he said.

If Mr Albanese's government is successful in winning a second term in 2025, they have assured the Australian people that they will put them in another republican referendum.

In a referendum that took place back in 1999, the people of Australia voiced their opposition to the proposed constitutional amendment.

After Labor was elected to lead the government a month ago, Matt Thistlethwaite was given the position of new assistant minister.

Mr Thistlethwaite remarked that it was high time to engage in discussions concerning the future of the nation.

In an interview with Sky News Australia, he said, "I'd like to congratulate the Queen on her jubilee and reign. I believe she has been a fantastic monarch and leader of the Commonwealth."

"But, as she nears the twilight of her reign, I believe Australians are naturally beginning to wonder what comes next for the country," he continued.

"Do we want King Charles, or are we mature and independent enough to appoint one of our own as our head of state?"

This past weekend, Queen Elizabeth II celebrated her 70th year on the throne, and it has been noted that there is a significant amount of support in Australia for the current monarch.

In spite of the fact that the recently elected Labor government is strongly in favour of establishing a republic, many experts are saying that it is unlikely that Australia will ever do so.

Definitely time to become a republic but keeping the Westminster format.

• Angry
Reactions: Rochelle and Ricci
Who the hell would we choose to be our Head of State? I can't think of anyone that has displayed the qualities needed. Would we all get to vote or would it be a Govt appointment? How long would the term be, surely not for life. How many squillions of dollars would be wasted on advertising and promotions every few years. I could go on, so many questions. If we leave things as they are at the moment we're pretty much left to our own devices anyway without the costs involved of having and maintaining a Head of State.;)

Wondering what good it would do for our country if we became a republic?
i don't believe that those who oppose the monarchy really understand what leaving the commonwealth will do to Australia, most who advocate for getting rid of the monarchy do so because they mistakenly believe that our taxes go towards paying wages to the royals, as well as believing that The queen actually owns The crown jewells and Buckingham palace, a lot of ignorance and misplaced belief in who and what supports the monarchy here and in the UK. I for one will be very sad when the Queen passes, she has been a part of my history since I was born, and I will miss her being there.

Yes, Australia WILL become a Republic eventually. However, it will require Australians NOT to be CONNED by those who will have the expectation of DECIDING the Head of State. This needs to be decided by ALL AustralIan’s, NOT a self-styled elitist cohort! There is a great deal of misunderstanding about the role of the monarchy in Australian life but one thing is sure, those pushing for a Republic have used this time of Jubilee to terrify us at the prospect of KING CHARLES! Republicans think he is still jugears, the dumbo! I am very disappointed at Labor pushing this during the Queen’s Jubilee & hovering like a pack of vultures, circling over a predictable death during their time in Government! CRASS!

We need to think carefully on this one. Have a study yourself of republican countries and how their Governments work. We have an excellent system of Government. The Monarchy does NOT interfere in any way. If it ain't broke Don't fix it.

No Way!!

Reactions: Luckyus and Ricci

Liz did wonder why we hadn't already become Republic like other Commonwealth Countries after the last referendum. Remember that joining the Commonwealth is entirely voluntary, as there are several countries.

Reactions: Ricci