Wife demands husband pays her $100K just to have a baby

A high-flying husband and his career-driven wife recently found themselves at odds over their pregnancy plan.

Apparently, the wife is asking her husband to pay her a total of $100,000 so she can take maternity leave once she gets pregnant.

KY_-j3VlqWhm7-XT91gQNZ0fz6OZEqUoLt0ZblR8GiAwNWEiQ25__oRlQ_kwobVjkrOd8H4cTT0b8ZgmYJF3FwPTg0GER0o2iU_C7gV7X7sS-nxVjUqdmGHaTkyzT-dV8NMidWHu

A man was shocked to find that his wife wanted him to ‘fund’ her maternity leave. Credit: Getty Images.

Sharing on the forum site Reddit, the man was asking for opinions after being left shocked and dumbfounded over his wife’s demands.

According to the post, it was only a couple of months ago when the two of them mutually agreed to start a family. Both of them are currently doing well in their careers and they earn a yearly total of $350,000 with their finances combined.

They also split their finances 50/50 for everything – including their wedding, honeymoon, mortgage repayments and living expenses.

But just last week, the man was shocked when his wife suddenly presented him with a “payment plan” – a 16-page legally-binding contract – when they decided to start a family together.

Turns out, his wife doesn’t want to miss out on her earnings while on maternity leave, so she’s asking her husband to “pay her” all the earnings that she would be missing.
While on maternity leave, the wife will receive 50 per cent of her salary for the first six months and will be left unpaid for the remaining six months. Taking a six-month break from work would cost her $50,000, and a twelve-month break? A whopping $100,000.

“Now, she’s asking me to compensate her for the time she will have to take off to have our child,” said the husband.

“She says it is not a true 50-50 split if she is expected to take a financial hit for it and I am not, given that our finances are separate.”

The man understands his wife’s position. After all, he’s a career-driven person himself. What he finds uncomfortable is the idea of “paying” his wife to have their baby.

Even though the man was the one who posted and shared their story on Reddit, comments flooded in from hundreds of users supporting and praising his partner’s “genius” idea.

“She’s 100 per cent right and is very smart to put this together. Shared baby, shared costs,” one person wrote in the comments.

“You’ve married a savvy woman. Women lose out so much career and financial-wise taking time out to have children,” said another, adding: “I think this is very fair.”

One user questioned the man: “So you want her to take ALL the physical and financial risks of starting a family, but you don't want her to be compensated for any of it?”

A second user followed: “You want her to commit her physical and financial health, but you also want to be able to easily walk away in the event of a divorce. You make well into six figures, but you are “turned off” by the idea that she should get any financial security from you for bearing your children, which would irrevocably change her body and career trajectory?”

Most people concluded that the man was “not ready to have children”, given his current mindset.

Was the man reasonable for being “grossed out” with his wife demanding money from him for the pregnancy? Or was it a pretty reasonable request from her?

What are your thoughts? Tell us in the comments!

Sponsored

A high-flying husband and his career-driven wife recently found themselves at odds over their pregnancy plan.

Apparently, the wife is asking her husband to pay her a total of $100,000 so she can take maternity leave once she gets pregnant.

KY_-j3VlqWhm7-XT91gQNZ0fz6OZEqUoLt0ZblR8GiAwNWEiQ25__oRlQ_kwobVjkrOd8H4cTT0b8ZgmYJF3FwPTg0GER0o2iU_C7gV7X7sS-nxVjUqdmGHaTkyzT-dV8NMidWHu

A man was shocked to find that his wife wanted him to ‘fund’ her maternity leave. Credit: Getty Images.

Sharing on the forum site Reddit, the man was asking for opinions after being left shocked and dumbfounded over his wife’s demands.

According to the post, it was only a couple of months ago when the two of them mutually agreed to start a family. Both of them are currently doing well in their careers and they earn a yearly total of $350,000 with their finances combined.

They also split their finances 50/50 for everything – including their wedding, honeymoon, mortgage repayments and living expenses.

But just last week, the man was shocked when his wife suddenly presented him with a “payment plan” – a 16-page legally-binding contract – when they decided to start a family together.

Turns out, his wife doesn’t want to miss out on her earnings while on maternity leave, so she’s asking her husband to “pay her” all the earnings that she would be missing.
While on maternity leave, the wife will receive 50 per cent of her salary for the first six months and will be left unpaid for the remaining six months. Taking a six-month break from work would cost her $50,000, and a twelve-month break? A whopping $100,000.

“Now, she’s asking me to compensate her for the time she will have to take off to have our child,” said the husband.

“She says it is not a true 50-50 split if she is expected to take a financial hit for it and I am not, given that our finances are separate.”

The man understands his wife’s position. After all, he’s a career-driven person himself. What he finds uncomfortable is the idea of “paying” his wife to have their baby.

Even though the man was the one who posted and shared their story on Reddit, comments flooded in from hundreds of users supporting and praising his partner’s “genius” idea.

“She’s 100 per cent right and is very smart to put this together. Shared baby, shared costs,” one person wrote in the comments.

“You’ve married a savvy woman. Women lose out so much career and financial-wise taking time out to have children,” said another, adding: “I think this is very fair.”

One user questioned the man: “So you want her to take ALL the physical and financial risks of starting a family, but you don't want her to be compensated for any of it?”

A second user followed: “You want her to commit her physical and financial health, but you also want to be able to easily walk away in the event of a divorce. You make well into six figures, but you are “turned off” by the idea that she should get any financial security from you for bearing your children, which would irrevocably change her body and career trajectory?”

Most people concluded that the man was “not ready to have children”, given his current mindset.

Was the man reasonable for being “grossed out” with his wife demanding money from him for the pregnancy? Or was it a pretty reasonable request from her?

They should not have a family

I think that’s totally fair, I have lost out personally each time I had a child - lost my independence/ earnings and self esteem as a result. It took me years to get back on my feet on my own. Never had a cent of maintenance for my children and they never had a father. You never know what’s around the corner. It’s unusual but it shouldn’t be.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci

The world has gone mad!!!!!! I fail to understand women nowadays, I am a woman, and despair what women are doing, and saying! Why are we suddenly so gung ho about being a woman. I've got 3 kids, 2nd husband, and enjoy my life as it is. I am a woman, so what. GROW up women, get a grip, stop thinking we are so superior to men. Compered to many women around the world, we here in AUSTRALIA have it easy. PLEASE bring back the good old days.

Firstly, she is not having HIS child, she is having THEIR child. Secondly, she will be supported fully by him for the12 months she is off in top of paid maternity leave and won't have to go to work or earn anything while she stays at home. If she's that desperate to not appreciate a year with her newborn, perhaps she could work from home. Marriage and parenthood is about more than money, but these two career driven people prioritise money and possibly shouldn't have children. If they should ever divorce any settlement would take into account both parents' income, assets etc. So she would get her fair share. Besides, if he pays her $100,000 isn't that part of the overall pot which they both own together as a couple? Having a child and paying your spouse could be a deal breaker in the long run.

Last edited:
What happened to marriage is a joint venture?? Decide to have kids and both put time and energy into raising them.... I know often one puts more in than the other... but being paid by your partner?? Surely you're sharing 50% of his wage while you're off anyway... and you can go back to work afterwards.... 50/50 on child's costs I guess....

The world has gone mad!!!!!! I fail to understand women nowadays, I am a woman, and despair what women are doing, and saying! Why are we suddenly so gung ho about being a woman. I've got 3 kids, 2nd husband, and enjoy my life as it is. I am a woman, so what. GROW up women, get a grip, stop thinking we are so superior to men. Compered to many women around the world, we here in AUSTRALIA have it easy. PLEASE bring back the good old days.
I think that the world have to many population already if some women do not want to breed it this their choice.

Kid and carrier do not go well together. If you choose to have babies please don't put them in concentration camps (child cares) and scream that government should pay for their choice to bring kids to the world and continue to work. Parents in the past did not get heavily subsidy from the government so that they could have 5 bedroom houses, 2x 4wheel drive and other luxuries at once.

Maybe the wife really does NOT want to have a baby…. But if so, perhaps she is bringing to her husband’s attention that the financial cost ( which will compound down the years ) will impact her more than it will him. Yes he will support her & their household needs but will he pay into her Superannuation plan if she has one? The “ costs” to women of having children impacts women disproportionately and a lot of men do not fully comprehend or acknowledge that perhaps, until presented as an economic proposition. 🤔

WOW! It sounds like these two are running a business enterprise not a committed relationship. If they have a baby how are they going to decide who pays for what. Who's going to pay for medical bills, school bills etc etc.
A true family is a much greater commitment than a business contract.
A couple of years ago a couple who are close friends of mine decided after 10 years of happily married life that wanted to start a family. They both had extremely good, well paid jobs. But there certainly weren't any contracts written. They now have a beautiful 8 month old adorable little boy. My girlfriend took the 4 months paid maternity leave offered by her employers and her husband has been an extremely happy stay home Dad since her 4 months ended. Seemed like a brilliant idea to me.

WOW! It sounds like these two are running a business enterprise not a committed relationship. If they have a baby how are they going to decide who pays for what. Who's going to pay for medical bills, school bills etc etc.
A couple of years ago a couple who are close friends of mine decided after 10 years of happily married life that wanted to start a family. They both had extremely good, well paid jobs. But there certainly weren't any contracts written. They now have a beautiful 8 month old adorable little boy. My girlfriend took the 4 months paid maternity leave offered by her employers and her husband has been an extremely happy stay home Dad since her 4 months ended. Seemed like a brilliant idea to me.
I hope they do not put the kid in the kid concentration camp (childcare) later. Based on my happy childhood memory when my mum was at home and my siblings and I came back from schools we had many things to tell her while having healthy snack, it was such a wonderful feeling that I would not exchange for anything in the world. However, it is sad that these days in many families every members will obsess in social media all the time.

Reactions: WendyP
Well spoken - God's teeth - where are we going to end up? Every day I am shocked by the current "thinkers" who have no one else on their radar other than themselves. Enough already!

Reactions: WendyP
Children are not possessions to be purchased, traded or sold.
Children should be created in love, and nurtured in a loving environment by 2 loving parents as an extension of their love.
Gosh, what is she going to charge the baby for carrying it for 9 months and giving birth and raising the child. If I were him I would run away really, really fast!!!

I hope they do not put the kid in the kid concentration camp (childcare) later. Based on my happy childhood memory when my mum was at home and my siblings and I came back from schools we had many things to tell her while having healthy snack, it was such a wonderful feeling that I would not exchange for anything in the world. However, it is sad that these days in many families every members will obsess in social media all the time.
Couldn’t wait to get home and call out Mum, afternoon tea, chatting, I was able to do the same for my children, wasn’t easy on one income but my Mum said stay home and economise and that’s what did, baked everything cooked everything. Took our children on a beach holiday once a year.

Reactions: thinkbeforedecide
That sounds perfect and as it should be between a loving couple. Unfortunately it doesn’t always have such a idyllic outcome for many and in that case a financial compensation is one way you can hedge your bets as a woman ( who is unlikely to waltz off and leave her kids) she will always have to manage her employment/ social life and every other aspect of her life around her most precious people who are in no way to blame for the dissolution of their home. It’s not selfish or money grabbing, it is simply acknowledging the reality of how life can turn out.

The couple has separate bank accounts. What is she supposed to live on while home on maternity leave?
This was not a consideration for me because we shared our money. But not every woman has access to the family income.