Why is everyone outraged by this restaurant's unusual 'adult fee'?

It can be hard to stay calm and composed when you have grandchildren running around at home, let alone in a restaurant. Kids will be kids, but if they’re disrupting service, it’s understandably a cause for concern with other customers.

But one restaurant’s suggestion for disciplining disruptions has sparked an uproar. The Toccoa Riverside Restaurant in Georgia, United States, has implemented what they called a 'bad parenting fee' for customers who don’t control their kids.

Toccoa Riverside Restaurant claimed to deliver fresh regional meals with an idyllic waterfront backdrop. The menu includes a $39 ‘Choice’ ribeye steak cooked in herb butter, but any potential diners should be warned – the restaurant doesn’t take misbehaving children lightly.

Its menu stated: 'Adult surcharge: For adults unable to parent $$$.'

this-restaurant-charges-you-extra-for-bad-parenting-v0-v8ssoiy7y1wb1.png
This menu shows the adult surcharge ‘for adults unable to parent’. Credit: Reddit

This controversial move caused quite an uproar online. One user asked, ‘What is deemed as an “adult who can’t parent”?’

Another commented, ‘Just say no kids…? Kids can be annoying, but they’re unpredictable because they’re KIDS.’

'If I read this at a restaurant, I would probably leave,' another user responded to the post.

Other dissatisfied customers wrote bad reviews of the restaurant online and said that they had experienced being charged the ‘bad parenting’ fee.

One customer said, ‘The owner came out and told me he was adding $50 to my bill because of my children’s behaviour.’

‘My kids watched a tablet until the food arrived, ate their food, and my wife took them outside while I waited and paid the bill….Disappointed by the experience.’

Another customer also shared his bad experience of bringing his children to the restaurant.

'Don’t go if you have children. We were 3 adults, 2 children and our four-month-old baby, and since we entered the place, they gave us a bad look,' he said.

He added, ‘Later my wife was rocking the baby (not crying, just to make him sleep) and this ‘manager’ told her that you don’t do that in a fancy restaurant (of course this is not a fancy restaurant) and later moved our stroller in a bad way.’

He also commented on the food of the restaurant, ‘Food is not good either. Do yourself a favour…go somewhere else.’

Customers also complained about the owner’s attitude towards children, while others ranted about the restaurant’s allegedly overpriced and, sometimes, undercooked food.

‘I’m not going to go into details about the horrendous night we had here but would highly recommend not going here,’ one diner wrote.

It’s not just the adult fee that’s in their policy, either. The restaurant also charges a $3 sharing fee for customers who want to split their meal – but they’re the only establishment who do this by far.

Stories of restaurants charging ridiculous surcharges are not new. In our previous article, a couple was shocked when they had to pay an extra fee for a ‘large group’ despite dining in a restaurant as a couple. Read more about this story here.

Key Takeaways

• Toccoa Riverside Restaurant, a restaurant in the US, has introduced a 'bad parenting fee'.
  • This fee has angered diners, launching a heated debate over what is considered 'bad parenting' and its place in a restaurant setting.
  • Some distraught customers have shared their displeasure over the fee online.

What do you think of this ‘bad parenting fee’? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
It can be hard to stay calm and composed when you have grandchildren running around at home, let alone in a restaurant. Kids will be kids, but if they’re disrupting service, it’s understandably a cause for concern with other customers.

But one restaurant’s suggestion for disciplining disruptions has sparked an uproar. The Toccoa Riverside Restaurant in Georgia, United States, has implemented what they called a 'bad parenting fee' for customers who don’t control their kids.

Toccoa Riverside Restaurant claimed to deliver fresh regional meals with an idyllic waterfront backdrop. The menu includes a $39 ‘Choice’ ribeye steak cooked in herb butter, but any potential diners should be warned – the restaurant doesn’t take misbehaving children lightly.

View attachment 33166
This menu shows the adult surcharge ‘for adults unable to parent’. Credit: Reddit

This controversial move caused quite an uproar online. One user asked, ‘What is deemed as an “adult who can’t parent”?’

Another commented, ‘Just say no kids…? Kids can be annoying, but they’re unpredictable because they’re KIDS.’

'If I read this at a restaurant, I would probably leave,' another user responded to the post.

Other dissatisfied customers wrote bad reviews of the restaurant online and said that they had experienced being charged the ‘bad parenting’ fee.

One customer said, ‘The owner came out and told me he was adding $50 to my bill because of my children’s behaviour.’

‘My kids watched a tablet until the food arrived, ate their food, and my wife took them outside while I waited and paid the bill….Disappointed by the experience.’

Another customer also shared his bad experience of bringing his children to the restaurant.

'Don’t go if you have children. We were 3 adults, 2 children and our four-month-old baby, and since we entered the place, they gave us a bad look,' he said.

He added, ‘Later my wife was rocking the baby (not crying, just to make him sleep) and this ‘manager’ told her that you don’t do that in a fancy restaurant (of course this is not a fancy restaurant) and later moved our stroller in a bad way.’

He also commented on the food of the restaurant, ‘Food is not good either. Do yourself a favour…go somewhere else.’

Customers also complained about the owner’s attitude towards children, while others ranted about the restaurant’s allegedly overpriced and, sometimes, undercooked food.

‘I’m not going to go into details about the horrendous night we had here but would highly recommend not going here,’ one diner wrote.

It’s not just the adult fee that’s in their policy, either. The restaurant also charges a $3 sharing fee for customers who want to split their meal – but they’re the only establishment who do this by far.

Stories of restaurants charging ridiculous surcharges are not new. In our previous article, a couple was shocked when they had to pay an extra fee for a ‘large group’ despite dining in a restaurant as a couple. Read more about this story here.

Key Takeaways

• Toccoa Riverside Restaurant, a restaurant in the US, has introduced a 'bad parenting fee'.
  • This fee has angered diners, launching a heated debate over what is considered 'bad parenting' and its place in a restaurant setting.

What do you think of this ‘bad parenting fee’? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Please take note:- Bottom right hand corner - CASH DISCOUNT. This place offers a discount if you pay with cash. Wow - would that happen here in OZ these days.

View attachment 33166

Key Takeaways

It's not good that a restaurant does this. If it's to be an Adults Only place, then make it clear in the advertisements.

View attachment 33166

Key Takeaways

I think it’s fair, but only if it is well sign posted. I am a mother of two and a grandmother of 5. No way would I let them run around and be make a nuisance of themselves. It’s the first step in teaching them how to respect shared spaces. Kids can be kids at home, not in public places.

As children we were never taken to a restaurant but twice every Sunday we went to church where we sat quietly on the seat or, when we were very little, Mum took a blanket when she put on the floor & we went to sleep. No running around. No making unnecessary noise. We learnt to love church, love God, become born again Christians which we lived for the rest of our lives (my brother has passed away).
Teach you kids how to behave when they are out - even in Maccas!!!

View attachment 33166

Key Takeaways

It's ridiculous, if they can't handle things like this then they shouldn't be operating at all.

View attachment 33166

Key Takeaways

I think this is a great idea. These days parents let kids treat restaurants, pubs and clubs like a playground. When I was a kid we had to sit at the table and behave or get taken outside and get our bum tanned. Same happened with my kids and I am proud to say it is the same with their kids. If parents can't or won't keep their kids in line, they can damn well pay for it, or don't come at all. For those who feel the need to rebuke me, don't bother, I am not interested in the opinions of know it all do gooders.

View attachment 33166

Key Takeaways

I agree with the bad parenting fee! We go out to enjoy a meal but so often have it spoilt by children allowed to just run amok!! And the noise from some of them is unbearable. Why not have turns with a friend & leave your children with them. There does not seem to be any manners anymore with majority of children. It is becoming worse. And as for those stupid little trleysBunnings is the worst. A couple of times I have almost had them run into me. My legs are bad enough without having them run into me. Only the other day a child came running around an aisle end only to end up AGAINST my Rollator (Walker)! I am fed up!!!