Why is Coles putting a purchase limit on frozen potato chips?

Nothing beats a good bowl of hot chips now and then. They’re crispy, salty, and hearty all at the same time – what’s not to love?

However, due to a supply shortage, Coles has recently imposed a purchase limit for frozen potato chips – making it harder to stock up on our favourite junk food.

Major supermarket chain Coles has been forced to introduce a nationwide temporary purchase limit for customers buying frozen potato chips – limiting shoppers to only two items per transaction.

This limit comes as a response to the country’s ongoing national potato supply shortage. Coles shared: ‘Due to supply issues of frozen potato chips, we have introduced a temporary purchase limit of two items per transaction.’

potat1-min (1).jpg
The shortage could make the price of potato chips increase. Credit: Shutterstock

‘This will help to maintain availability for all customers. Thank you for your patience, we apologise for any inconvenience caused,’ they added.

Farmers across the country have experienced widespread floods and rainfalls that destroyed acres of their crops – including potatoes.

Rod Guthrie, a potato farmer from Clarkes Hill, said the floods have derailed the supply of vegetables, with farms yielding around half of their usual crops in Victoria, Tasmania, NSW, and Queensland.

He said: ‘It all started in January when we got the floods and it wiped out a lot of potato crops.’ He also warned that the supply shortage will affect supermarket stock of fresh potatoes as well.

‘Supply is not there, it’s not going to be on the shelves and at restaurants, and I’d say by January there will be no supply around,’ Mr Guthrie added.

potato2.jpg
Mr Guthrie said that it’s been an ‘extremely hard year’ for farmers across the country. Credit: Georgiana Mirela/Pexels

Coles shoppers noticed the lack of supply in several of their local stores, with some saying the freezers haven’t been stocked ‘for months’.

Shoppers also complained about the lack of frozen chips and ice cream. You can read more on this here.

A month prior, Woolworths Group Chief Executive Brad Banducci also warned that frozen vegetables, in particular corn and potatoes, are in short supply.

‘I don’t want to overplay anything at this stage, in potato crisps…[but] there are some supply issues on the way through here, so that’s the big one,’ he stated. You can read more about his statement here.

Woolworths has not issued a purchase limit on any of their frozen vegetables.

According to the Australian Hotels Association, the potato chips shortage will soon see a price hike, with an increase of up to 40 per cent.

David Canny, National President of the AHA, admitted: ‘Venues are being warned to start using veggies with meals instead of the traditional chip, or of course, there’s always the healthy salad option.’

Key Takeaways

• Major supermarket chain Coles has put a national limit on the sale of frozen potato chips, restricting customers to only two items, due to a troubling supply shortage.
  • The supply issue is due to consecutive wet summers which have disrupted potato yields in multiple states.
  • Coles shoppers have noticed a supply shortage for months prior to this announcement.
  • Woolworths does not have any product limits in place at its supermarkets at this time.
Do you eat chips often, members? Share with us your thoughts on Coles’ announcement in the comments below.

Sponsored
I don't eat chips very often but I do like to keep a pack in the freezer for those times the cravings start! In recent times though I've also taken to chipping other veg, parsnips, carrots and sweet potato all make really good alternatives. :)

I rarely eat hot chips, but absolutely LOVE them.
If my sister takes me out for my birthday, I always order hot chips with my meal.
Coles is rationing their frozen chips.
Woolies is saying they are not rationing chips, but I heard a customer complaining at Woolies yesterday that there are no frozen chips at any Woolies.
They don't have to ration them, because they have no stock.

Reactions: Ricci