Why has the Royal Family been banned from this 175-year-old hunting tradition?

For almost two centuries, the Royal Family had spent their pastime shooting and fishing at this Scottish estate near Balmoral Castle.

But now, that long-standing tradition has come to an abrupt end.

It was back in 1852 when Queen Victoria and Prince Albert purchased Balmoral Castle, which gave them access to the Abergeldie estate.

20230914_080809_0000.png
Owned by The Royal Family, the Balmoral Castle gave them access to the nearby Abergeldie estate. Image source: Shutterstock.

The Royal Family had been using the 4,654-hectare Abergeldie estate to fish, deer stalk, and hunt during their free time.

However, due to a recent change in ownership, The Royal Family is no longer welcome on the Abergeldie estate near Balmoral Castle.

Before the change in ownership, the Gordon family, one of the most powerful Scottish clans, owned the estate for more than 500 years—until the death of the 21st Baron of Abergeldie, John Gordon, where they put up the estate for sale in 2020.

It was also reported that an increase in the leasing fee was imposed by the Gordon family on their estate in the late ‘90s, but the late Queen Elizabeth II was more than willing to pay the difference.

The opulent estate boasts 34 homes, cottages, lodges, and farmhouses, excluding the Abergeldie Castle, which is about 3 kilometres away from Balmoral Castle.

It was reported that a 70-year-old man named Alastair Storey purchased the estate for a whopping $44.7 million and has ended the royal lease, with plans to use the estate for commercial shooting.

'For the last 175 years, the Royal Family have leased the sporting rights at Abergeldie, but this has now ceased and will be actively run by the new Laird,' the documents filed with Aberdeenshire Council read.

'To facilitate the transformation and to effectively run the estate, new facilities will be required.'

Mr Storey also wants to build new accommodations 'for paying visitors to support the sporting activities on the estate'.

Despite the dramatic end to this 175-year tradition, it is believed that there are no hard feelings between both parties.
Key Takeaways
  • The Royal Family has been banned from their 175-year tradition of hunting on the Abergeldie estate near Balmoral Castle in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.
  • The estate's new owner, Alastair Storey, ended the royal lease and plans to revamp the grounds for commercial shooting.
  • The estate, which was owned by the powerful Gordon family for over 500 years, was sold following the death of the 21st Baron of Abergeldie, John Gordon.
  • The Balmoral Castle was purchased by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1852 with a leasing agreement that allowed the royal family to use the grounds for pastimes.
What are your thoughts on the sudden end to this pastime of the Royal Family, dear members? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I don't think Aussies put people on pedalstals. I do know something unique with Aussies is they will help anyone and will jump in to help a mate, a neighbour or someone in trouble
Don't most nationalities stick together ,not just Aussies.

Aussies see the Royal Family differently than the English and ex pat British.

I can usually pick out the English people on here and their hearts are still with their mother land apart from a couple of English people on here.
Sorry you only need to look at your sports people not saying that other countries don't do the same thing, but they are on pedestal's then when they don't perform they are torn down, who you are talking about is the average person who will help out a fellow countryman regardless of where they were originally from, what I am talking about is the negativity from people who believe they have a right to put people down, complain or just be plain nasty, Sadly it seems many have not be taught if you can't say something nice about someone then don't say anything at all.

Reactions: Defiant540
Sorry you only need to look at your sports people not saying that other countries don't do the same thing, but they are on pedestal's then when they don't perform they are torn down, who you are talking about is the average person who will help out a fellow countryman regardless of where they were originally from, what I am talking about is the negativity from people who believe they have a right to put people down, complain or just be plain nasty, Sadly it seems many have not be taught if you can't say something nice about someone then don't say anything at all.
All my Aussie family , all my aussie friends would help others in a heart beat
Australians love their sport but don't put themselves on a pedestal.

I think what your describing is people world wide not Australians .
If Australians don't do well their not reprimanded like other countries.

You just have to look at The Matilda's , they didn't win yet we applauded them and congratulated them.

I think true blue Australians are an easy and relaxed bunch of people

Please enlighten me with what Australian sport person this has happened too

Reactions: Defiant540