Why are Australians trading in their blinds for these incredible DIY ‘sheer’ curtains?

Australians are swapping their blinds and shutters for a more affordable and stylish DIY trend!

Homeowners are ditching expensive window treatments in favour of sheer curtains that give a soft, romantic look and let plenty of natural light flood in.

The rise of popularity of sheer curtains could be attributed to its DIY aspect, which allows homeowners to spruce up their home without breaking the bank.

'I think what we’ve seen across the globe is that people are looking for a softer feel in their homes. In a move away from the vertical blinds and shutters, we’ve moved into a softer, more romantic sort of feel,' furniture store Domayne’s Global Trends and Homewares Design Manager Susan Kropp said.

'So many of us have been scarred over the years from our parents and daggy floral curtains that we all remember as a child with heavy backings on them. And now we’re seeing this soft, beautiful finish that we never saw as kids,’ she added.

‘So I think a lot of it’s about the generation that is starting to see curtains in a whole new light.'

SDC 4.png
Sheer curtains have a 'romantic feel' and allows more natural light to enter homes. Image source: Freepik.

Sheer curtains are among today’s more trendier options, in stark contrast to the heavy, draped patterned curtains that peaked in the 1970s.

Susan also noted a shift in terminology as customers refer to them as 'sheers' instead of curtains or drapes.

According to Domayne’s Product and Marketing Manager (Global Portfolio) Vesna Vasilevski sheer curtains are made from lightweight material that filter sunlight and create a diffused glow in space, offering a soft ambience at the expense of privacy.

In bedrooms, this is why sheer curtains are often paired with room-darkening curtains—also known as blockout curtains—to reduce the light that enters and to offer a bit more cover when needed.

'Room darkening curtains can provide some insulation benefits by reducing the amount of heat that enters or escapes through windows. They can help maintain a more stable indoor temperature,' Vasilevski said.

'Room darkening curtains are an excellent choice for bedrooms, especially if you want to create a conducive sleep environment.'

'They block out a significant amount of sunlight, helping you sleep better by keeping the room darker in the morning and reducing external light disturbances.'

'If you have a dedicated media room, room darkening curtains are essential. They help reduce glare on screens and create a cinematic atmosphere by darkening the room for an optimal viewing experience.'

Blockout curtains are usually made with thicker and denser materials as compared to standard curtains.

These curtains' primary purpose is to control light and privacy, however, due to their additional layer of insulation and absorption, these curtains can help reduce external noise.

They also block a significant portion of harmful UV rays from the sun which then protects furniture, flooring, and interior decoration from deterioration and damage.

SDC 3.png
Blockout curtains are often paired with sheer curtains. Image source: fabrikasimf on Freepik.

'While not as effective as dedicated soundproofing measures, blockout curtains can help reduce external noise by providing an additional layer of insulation and absorption,' Vasilevski added.

'This can create a quieter and more peaceful indoor environment.'

'Due to their insulating properties, blockout curtains contribute to energy efficiency by reducing the need for cooling in the summer and heating in the winter.'

'They can also help lower energy bills in rooms where temperature control is a priority.'
Key Takeaways
  • Australians are favouring 'sheer' DIY curtains over vertical blinds and shutters for home styling.
  • The popularity of curtains is linked to a move towards a more 'romantic' feel in home interiors and the cost-friendly DIY aspect appeals to those on a budget.
  • Susan Kropp, Domayne’s Global Trends and Homewares Design Manager, highlights the growing preference for sheer curtains over the heavy patterned curtains popular in the 1970s.
  • Domayne’s Product and Marketing Manager, Vesna Vasilevski explains that while sheer curtains create a soft ambience with their lightweight fabric, they offer limited privacy and are often paired with room darkening curtains for optimum light control and insulation.
Members, do you also use sheer and blockout curtains at home? Let us know your experience with the curtains in the comments below!

Sponsored
I grew up with curtains on all windows in every home we lived in, very rarely had any blinds back then. I have always put curtains up on windows in the 2 houses we have owned and lived in. I love curtains. We also have blinds on the windows, and because hubby and kids were shiftworkers when they lived at home all our bedrooms have shutters on the outside of the windows that can be down for darkness or open for light. Now our rumpus room has the shutters as well for security and to keep the afternoon heat out. I have always made all my own curtains, as did my mum and most people of that era and before. We lived in a flat before we bought our first home and I made curtains for the windows there as well. My daughter put blinds and we made nice curtains for the windows in the house her and the hubby bought. My son didn’t want curtains in his house, just blinds.

I grew up with curtains on all windows in every home we lived in, very rarely had any blinds back then. I have always put curtains up on windows in the 2 houses we have owned and lived in. I love curtains. We also have blinds on the windows, and because hubby and kids were shiftworkers when they lived at home all our bedrooms have shutters on the outside of the windows that can be down for darkness or open for light. Now our rumpus room has the shutters as well for security and to keep the afternoon heat out. I have always made all my own curtains, as did my mum and most people of that era and before. We lived in a flat before we bought our first home and I made curtains for the windows there as well. My daughter put blinds and we made nice curtains for the windows in the house her and the hubby bought. My son didn’t want curtains in his house, just blinds.
Curtains have a homely feel about them

Australians are swapping their blinds and shutters for a more affordable and stylish DIY trend!

Homeowners are ditching expensive window treatments in favour of sheer curtains that give a soft, romantic look and let plenty of natural light flood in.

The rise of popularity of sheer curtains could be attributed to its DIY aspect, which allows homeowners to spruce up their home without breaking the bank.

'I think what we’ve seen across the globe is that people are looking for a softer feel in their homes. In a move away from the vertical blinds and shutters, we’ve moved into a softer, more romantic sort of feel,' furniture store Domayne’s Global Trends and Homewares Design Manager Susan Kropp said.

'So many of us have been scarred over the years from our parents and daggy floral curtains that we all remember as a child with heavy backings on them. And now we’re seeing this soft, beautiful finish that we never saw as kids,’ she added.

‘So I think a lot of it’s about the generation that is starting to see curtains in a whole new light.'

View attachment 32560
Sheer curtains have a 'romantic feel' and allows more natural light to enter homes. Image source: Freepik.

Sheer curtains are among today’s more trendier options, in stark contrast to the heavy, draped patterned curtains that peaked in the 1970s.

Susan also noted a shift in terminology as customers refer to them as 'sheers' instead of curtains or drapes.

According to Domayne’s Product and Marketing Manager (Global Portfolio) Vesna Vasilevski sheer curtains are made from lightweight material that filter sunlight and create a diffused glow in space, offering a soft ambience at the expense of privacy.

In bedrooms, this is why sheer curtains are often paired with room-darkening curtains—also known as blockout curtains—to reduce the light that enters and to offer a bit more cover when needed.

'Room darkening curtains can provide some insulation benefits by reducing the amount of heat that enters or escapes through windows. They can help maintain a more stable indoor temperature,' Vasilevski said.

'Room darkening curtains are an excellent choice for bedrooms, especially if you want to create a conducive sleep environment.'

'They block out a significant amount of sunlight, helping you sleep better by keeping the room darker in the morning and reducing external light disturbances.'

'If you have a dedicated media room, room darkening curtains are essential. They help reduce glare on screens and create a cinematic atmosphere by darkening the room for an optimal viewing experience.'

Blockout curtains are usually made with thicker and denser materials as compared to standard curtains.

These curtains' primary purpose is to control light and privacy, however, due to their additional layer of insulation and absorption, these curtains can help reduce external noise.

They also block a significant portion of harmful UV rays from the sun which then protects furniture, flooring, and interior decoration from deterioration and damage.

View attachment 32561
Blockout curtains are often paired with sheer curtains. Image source: fabrikasimf on Freepik.

'While not as effective as dedicated soundproofing measures, blockout curtains can help reduce external noise by providing an additional layer of insulation and absorption,' Vasilevski added.

'Due to their insulating properties, blockout curtains contribute to energy efficiency by reducing the need for cooling in the summer and heating in the winter.'

'They can also help lower energy bills in rooms where temperature control is a priority.'
Key Takeaways

• Australians are favouring 'sheer' DIY curtains over vertical blinds and shutters for home styling.
  • The popularity of curtains is linked to a move towards a more 'romantic' feel in home interiors and the cost-friendly DIY aspect appeals to those on a budget.
  • Susan Kropp, Domayne’s Global Trends and Homewares Design Manager, highlights the growing preference for sheer curtains over the heavy patterned curtains popular in the 1970s.
  • Domayne’s Product and Marketing Manager, Vesna Vasilevski explains that while sheer curtains create a soft ambience with their lightweight fabric, they offer limited privacy and are often paired with room darkening curtains for optimum light control and insulation.
Members, do you also use sheer and blockout curtains at home? Let us know your experience with the curtains in the comments below!
What is old, is new again. Sorry this usnt new, we grew up withese curtains. In fact a seasonal change was called for replacing the lighter/ flowy type to a heavier version in winter.
Life really does run in circles.

View attachment 32560

View attachment 32561

Key Takeaways

View attachment 32560

View attachment 32561

Key Takeaways

We called them net curtains. In my mum's home, she had them on all windows. This was back in 1950

View attachment 32560

View attachment 32561

Key Takeaways

Grew up with (so called) curtains but when we built our own home in 1996, we put in Vertical Blinds. By 2010 we had replaced nearly all the vertical blinds as they were extremely hard to keep clean & the track pins started to break. Only one room now has Vertical blind (as all the other fell apart from tying to keep clean) Have gone back to Sheer Curtain and block out drapes. So much easier to clean twice a year. And so easy to update style or colour.

View attachment 32560

View attachment 32561

Key Takeaways

Members, do you also use sheer anda bit much. blockout curtains at home? Let us know your experience with the curtains in the comments below!
Love the sheer curtains but I do have block out roller blinds as well for when the sun gets a bit much. But I do love letting in the light.

View attachment 32560

View attachment 32561

Key Takeaways

I have this set up at home in my bedrooms- sheers with dark blue, washable, blockout curtains, let’s in light, with some privacy, during the day and blocks light out at night

Attachments

• 76AE63F3-3E28-4ABB-A2BE-CD3F1A0C3307.jpeg
    76AE63F3-3E28-4ABB-A2BE-CD3F1A0C3307.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 0
Why stop at curtains. Bring on a Renaissence with fine china cups and saucers (the finer the china the nicer the tea tastes), nice napery/cutlery on the table, pictures on the wall, comfy cushions and all the things that make a house look like a home instead of a doctor's waiting room. And please....put more colour on walls - so sick of seeing white, cream, grey, beige.
Every house looks just the same on realestate, com - no individuality.

Let the company selling this product do their own advertising and let them do it on another forum not this one. This is not important and should not be what SDC is all about. Just provide a snapshot if you really want to and lead the reader to the company's website for further research.