Whose fault is it? An ALDI shopper’s grocery bag dilemma leaves the internet in a heated debate

Accomplishing a weekly run of groceries can be therapeutic for some and a hassle for the rest of us. What could possibly make this errand worse? Well… perhaps ruining your groceries with a chemical leak. Let us explain the details of this... messy situation.

An ALDI customer has taken to a well-known Facebook group to share her frustration when a bottle of the stain remover, Di San Pre, leaked through her shopping bag and ruined her groceries, in an attempt to avoid the risk of putting her child in harm’s way, she wants a full refund.

Vw0Xg6WM3QAHbrM8Nr25BV2ckZysqHDN5iVjCDtvYGNPknu9k9kdCRGvTmKp13iejJsor-nCrmWoKuIRGXRyPn_po07DSwddsEF-Dynfyb4JyH-lo553I4EfwdKR3rSrjgO1h5Kt

Image Credit: Istock

Anxious to know what she can do about her case, she captioned her post on the Aldi Mum’s Facebook page with the following:

“Leaking products in shopping bags - has anyone else had this happen and had your shopping ruined? I am wondering how to go about talking to ALDI about it? And what my rights might be?”

“I had my toddler rummaging around while I was dealing with the chemical mess so I had to throw out a lot of the goods as I went before he touched them…”

“It was a Di San spray which leaked - this has happened before but not to this extent. So I just wondered if it is a manufacturing issue as the lids seem to leak and they might have to do something about it.”

The mum initially faced some backlash by some who misunderstood her circumstance and assumed she had packed the spray in the same bag as the other items. However, she cleared this up by responding with:

“I didn’t put it in the same bag as food, but with other special buys etc products.”

“The bottle was not perfectly straight in the bag, but slightly tilted on an angle (not on its side though). The lid was screwed on but leaking. I was just thinking that something that is a corrosive chemical and a poison would legally have to have better packaging and wondered if anyone else had had issues.” She continued.

Despite the explanation, many thought that the responsibility fell on the mum’s shoulders considering that ALDI customers are the ones left to pack their own purchases.

“I don’t know how it’s ALDI’s fault or problem? You pack your own bags. At least now you know not to pack cleaning stuff in with other items. Good luck.” One user commented.

“Considering you pack your own bags at ALDI and transport them home, I doubt you have grounds for refunds/replacements unless you can prove the bottle of the cleaning product was faulty/broken before you left the store.” added another.

“I’ve seen people open a product, sniff it and then put it back on the shelf. My guess is that, more often than not, the lid is not replaced correctly. Definitely not the store’s fault!” argued a third.

But the other half are siding with the shopper and felt for her, stating they had similar disappointing experiences.

“I had the same thing happen with the Di San stain remover spray bottle recently. I put it in my trolley and as I was doing the rest of my shopping it was leaking over all my other items and onto the floor.” a user wrote.

“I’ve got into the habit of checking every screw-on lid, especially cleaning products. They can work loose for a number of reasons. It’s a good practice and surprising how often lids are not screwed on tight enough.” another added.

“Sorry to hear of your mishap. Mention the loss and damage to the manager of the store, I’m sure they’ll help you out.” a third suggested.

If you’ve ever been in this situation or encountered other issues with a product from the supermarket, ALDI advises their customers to kindly contact them directly through their help centre, which you can access by clicking here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
ALDI & some other shops have signs out to check on the caps of any Bottles of goods bought.... and I have always checked ALDI bottles after liquid washing detergent leaking thru everything once.... in the car... You don't forget something like that... if it was a large problem You would think they would have someone check every bottle with something in it... I have never had anything like that happen at COLES or Woolworths.... and I don't check their caps on any bottles... 68autobug .

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci
I would imagine that as you pack your own bags at Aldi their response would be that it was your fault. I think you would have to be able to prove that it was leaking before you left the store and if that was the case why didn't you exchange it before going through the checkout.

Reactions: Janet g and KatKop
Whose fault is it? An ALDI shopper’s grocery bag dilemma leaves the internet in a heated debate

Accomplishing a weekly run of groceries can be therapeutic for some and a hassle for the rest of us. What could possibly make this errand worse? Well… perhaps ruining your groceries with a chemical leak. Let us explain the details of this... messy situation.

An ALDI customer has taken to a well-known Facebook group to share her frustration when a bottle of the stain remover, Di San Pre, leaked through her shopping bag and ruined her groceries, in an attempt to avoid the risk of putting her child in harm’s way, she wants a full refund.

Vw0Xg6WM3QAHbrM8Nr25BV2ckZysqHDN5iVjCDtvYGNPknu9k9kdCRGvTmKp13iejJsor-nCrmWoKuIRGXRyPn_po07DSwddsEF-Dynfyb4JyH-lo553I4EfwdKR3rSrjgO1h5Kt

Anxious to know what she can do about her case, she captioned her post on the Aldi Mum’s Facebook page with the following:

“Leaking products in shopping bags - has anyone else had this happen and had your shopping ruined? I am wondering how to go about talking to ALDI about it? And what my rights might be?”

“I had my toddler rummaging around while I was dealing with the chemical mess so I had to throw out a lot of the goods as I went before he touched them…”

“It was a Di San spray which leaked - this has happened before but not to this extent. So I just wondered if it is a manufacturing issue as the lids seem to leak and they might have to do something about it.”

The mum initially faced some backlash by some who misunderstood her circumstance and assumed she had packed the spray in the same bag as the other items. However, she cleared this up by responding with:

“I didn’t put it in the same bag as food, but with other special buys etc products.”

“The bottle was not perfectly straight in the bag, but slightly tilted on an angle (not on its side though). The lid was screwed on but leaking. I was just thinking that something that is a corrosive chemical and a poison would legally have to have better packaging and wondered if anyone else had had issues.” She continued.

Despite the explanation, many thought that the responsibility fell on the mum’s shoulders considering that ALDI customers are the ones left to pack their own purchases.

“I don’t know how it’s ALDI’s fault or problem? You pack your own bags. At least now you know not to pack cleaning stuff in with other items. Good luck.” One user commented.

“Considering you pack your own bags at ALDI and transport them home, I doubt you have grounds for refunds/replacements unless you can prove the bottle of the cleaning product was faulty/broken before you left the store.” added another.

“I’ve seen people open a product, sniff it and then put it back on the shelf. My guess is that, more often than not, the lid is not replaced correctly. Definitely not the store’s fault!” argued a third.

But the other half are siding with the shopper and felt for her, stating they had similar disappointing experiences.

“I had the same thing happen with the Di San stain remover spray bottle recently. I put it in my trolley and as I was doing the rest of my shopping it was leaking over all my other items and onto the floor.” a user wrote.

“I’ve got into the habit of checking every screw-on lid, especially cleaning products. They can work loose for a number of reasons. It’s a good practice and surprising how often lids are not screwed on tight enough.” another added.

“Sorry to hear of your mishap. Mention the loss and damage to the manager of the store, I’m sure they’ll help you out.” a third suggested.

If you’ve ever been in this situation or encountered other issues with a product from the supermarket, ALDI advises their customers to kindly contact them directly through their help centre, which you can access by clicking
here.
Similar situation happened to a friend, at Aldi store in the western suburbs of Melbourne and was still in shop، so my complained to the manager and he was very rude to my friend and accused him of some fishy things and ordered him out of the store.
That was a good reason for me to never shop at ALDI again.

I

If you’ve ever been in this situation or encountered other issues with a product from the supermarket, ALDI advises their customers to kindly contact them directly through their help centre, which you can access by clicking
here.
I think the words that needs to be used in this situation are evidence, compromise, and communication.

Reactions: KatKop and Ricci
Similar situation happened to a friend, at Aldi store in the western suburbs of Melbourne and was still in shop، so my complained to the manager and he was very rude to my friend and accused him of some fishy things and ordered him out of the store.
That was a good reason for me to never shop at ALDI again.
😲

here.
when my sister shops any bottle of liquid she picks up she gives a little squeeze to make sure the lid is on tight....might be a good practice to start?????

Reactions: Defiant540

here.
Sorry but the fault lies with the customer. I would not for a moment think of blaming Aldi.

Reactions: Thecla
I've had it happened with a bottle of Logix dish washer Rinse Aid, it only has a flip top on top of the screw top ,I'm extra careful how I pack it now.

I don't know what the legal situation is here, but I believe the fault lies with the manufacturer. They may replace the item, but not compensate for loss of other purchases.
As Aldi is the seller, I believe they should only sell items which are safe and not have the potential to cause harm or injury or loss during transportation. I feel it is worth approaching Aldi as the first port if call ...
I once bought a bottle of liquid garden fertilizer from Aldi.
I carried it back to my car in my shopping bag with some other items.
When I reached my car, I noticed brown drops on the path ....all the way from the shop.
The bottle of fertilizer had leaked out of the lid, despite it being upright.
I returned to Aldi, they replaced everything which had been stained by the brown liquid, and gave me some hand wipes to clean my hands.
They couldn't have been more helpful or apologetic.

Last edited:
Under Australian Consumer Law you are entiltled to a replacement or full refund if a product is not as described, is damaged, is faulty or is in faulty packaging. In this case if the lid leaked, then the packaging is faulty. Others have mentioned that if someone has opened product in store to sniff them and returned the product to the shelf without replacing the top correctly, then it is not the suppliers (Aldi"s) fault. But that is incorrect, Aldi IS responsible for the product in its stores.
If the product is returned and evidence of the other damaged products provided, then Aldi is obliged to replace or refund to make good the customers loss.
Aldi have Product Liability Insurance to cover this sort of event happening.

here.
Easy answer, at Aldi you pack your own, customers at fault.

If the information is correct, providing it was the customer who placed the items in the bag and it was a bag was not purchased from Aldi.
The fault is the customers.
There is one more thing, if the bag was NOT purchased at aldi the ‘Old’ bag may have been weak.

Reactions: Nardia
If the information is correct, providing it was the customer who placed the items in the bag and it was a bag was not purchased from Aldi.
The fault is the customers.
There is one more thing, if the bag was NOT purchased at aldi the ‘Old’ bag may have been weak.
It was the bottle of liquid which leaked, so it was faulty. Nothing to do with the bag.