Who's really at fault? Outrage over ‘entitled’ Coles supermarket shopper's checkout complaint

Self-serve checkouts have been a divisive topic since they were introduced to Australian supermarkets 15 years ago. Many people have chosen to avoid them at all costs, while others have embraced all the time-saving technology has to offer.

Most recently, the topic of supermarket checkouts has once again been thrust into the spotlight; this time, over the complaints of one Coles customer.

In a post on the popular social media site, the shopper voiced her disappointment at the fact that her local Coles supermarket always prefers to use self-serve checkouts rather than employing cashiers to man the registers, even though the store is 'always open'.

'When your stores are open and I come in to shop, I don’t want to serve myself,' the disgruntled customer wrote in the caption of her post.

'Stop being so tight and open a register.'

ddea0f42cfc776d823a0b0072a2bc0936159803f-4x3-x0y133w740h555.png

The Coles customer declared that she 'didn't want to serve myself'. Credit: Facebook.

It seems like she is not very fond of the self-serve checkout system that Coles introduced many years ago as it reduces the number of employees.

She also said that it’s the supermarket's fault for not giving the employees enough hours and responsibilities, leading to a lower chance of getting a job.

As could be expected, the shopper’s comments were met with a tide of criticism.

Many claimed that she was being 'entitled', pointing out the added step in the checkout process was actually a lot less than usual.

'I love how so many try to hide their brazen entitlement behind the straw man argument that "I want kids to have jobs" despite no one losing their jobs over self-checkout,' wrote one.

'Just admit you think you’re better than having to pack your own groceries.'

3718847691c53f54fab6aa16792fa2f5756255c2-4x3-x0y0w1333h1000.jpg

The complaint received criticisms from fellow shoppers. Credit: Reddit.

Another sarcastically asked: 'How do you cope with filling the car up with petrol? How do you cope with taking money out of an ATM?'

Others contested the shopper's assertions that self-serve checkouts were having an impact on young people's employment opportunities, instead, the personnel are just being transferred to positions that are more suited for the company.

One comment read: 'The same number of employees are still being employed, they’re just redistributed to other roles that are more useful for the business.'

'Then I guess you should look for somewhere else to shop! Has nothing to do with the store being ‘tight’, and everything to do with self-check being a better business model,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'The local kids still get jobs, picking and packing the shopping for home deliveries, stop being such a whinger.'

'I have worked at Coles for over 30 years and staff get distributed to either other departments or floated around to other stores. Sorry, but your assumption about staff losing their jobs is incorrect,' another added.

The customer responded to the criticism by claiming that other customers and staff shared her opinion.

She replied: 'The moment a register was opened, customers queued to be served.'

'The girl serving said that management won’t/don’t listen as they want to reduce staff and funnel customers through self-serve. Staff and hours have been reduced.'

So, who’s really in the wrong here? Is the shopper being “entitled” or are their customers’ and employees’ grievances valid?

Sponsored
Hi I know this is going to create a response but hear goes why i dont use self serve checkouts because the company (Coles Woolworths ) wont give me a staff discount as i am doing a employees job .every time i ask for a staff discount at the self serve the tell me it not company policy so i wait in line at the checkout and get put through by a employee HA HA
Love this response to self checkouts. Keep it up.

Reactions: Ricci and JehazFNQ
Self-serve checkouts have been a divisive topic since they were introduced to Australian supermarkets 15 years ago. Many people have chosen to avoid them at all costs, while others have embraced all the time-saving technology has to offer.

Most recently, the topic of supermarket checkouts has once again been thrust into the spotlight; this time, over the complaints of one Coles customer.

In a post on the popular social media site, the shopper voiced her disappointment at the fact that her local Coles supermarket always prefers to use self-serve checkouts rather than employing cashiers to man the registers, even though the store is 'always open'.

'When your stores are open and I come in to shop, I don’t want to serve myself,' the disgruntled customer wrote in the caption of her post.

The Coles customer declared that she 'didn't want to serve myself'. Credit: Facebook.

It seems like she is not very fond of the self-serve checkout system that Coles introduced many years ago as it reduces the number of employees.

She also said that it’s the supermarket's fault for not giving the employees enough hours and responsibilities, leading to a lower chance of getting a job.

Many claimed that she was being 'entitled', pointing out the added step in the checkout process was actually a lot less than usual.

'I love how so many try to hide their brazen entitlement behind the straw man argument that "I want kids to have jobs" despite no one losing their jobs over self-checkout,' wrote one.

Another sarcastically asked: 'How do you cope with filling the car up with petrol? How do you cope with taking money out of an ATM?'

Others contested the shopper's assertions that self-serve checkouts were having an impact on young people's employment opportunities, instead, the personnel are just being transferred to positions that are more suited for the company.

One comment read: 'The same number of employees are still being employed, they’re just redistributed to other roles that are more useful for the business.'

'Then I guess you should look for somewhere else to shop! Has nothing to do with the store being ‘tight’, and everything to do with self-check being a better business model,' another said.

A third chimed in: 'The local kids still get jobs, picking and packing the shopping for home deliveries, stop being such a whinger.'

'I have worked at Coles for over 30 years and staff get distributed to either other departments or floated around to other stores. Sorry, but your assumption about staff losing their jobs is incorrect,' another added.

The customer responded to the criticism by claiming that other customers and staff shared her opinion.

'The girl serving said that management won’t/don’t listen as they want to reduce staff and funnel customers through self-serve. Staff and hours have been reduced.'

So, who’s really in the wrong here? Is the shopper being “entitled” or are their customers’ and employees’ grievances valid?

Both options should be available at all times but there should be a ban an parents letting their children learn how to use the self checkout and scan the items...especially during busy periods.

Reactions: Ricci and Gypsy1357
If I’m paying by card, I’ll use the self checkout as it’s usually a lot quicker. However, if I am paying cash, or mixed cash and card, then i use manned (sorry if that term is not PC). Why? Because the cash insert slot for notes never fails to reject my slightly creased or inserted wrong side up notes, so imagine how they like my usually squished ones from my small purse.

Reactions: Ricci
One very simple reason I will not use the self serve checkouts I am a Techno Phobe anything to do with Tech and I have a meltdown because to me it is not straight forward, I have enough problem with using my Smart phone which is obviously way smarter than me and we do not speak the same language. I look at the self serve section and see more people putting their hands up for help than sailing through faster than a Manned checkout (are we all back in a classroom at school and saying "Please Miss") I just will not put myself in that position, it is embarrassing.

Reactions: Helenmac and Ricci
I have never yet used a self-service checkout where I didn't have to call the assistant over at least once. Now, either I'm as thick as (which could be a possibility) or as far as I'm concerned the machines aren't fit for purpose. Unless or until they iron out all the kinks I will continue to use a manned checkout as I find they break down far less often, making my shopping experience a pleasant thing! :)

Not again??? Is this now a daily thing on here about self serve and all the sheep agreeing how horrible they are? 🙄

Most people like them. There's some good explanations in the article as to what happens to the staff in the various shops.

The other day I had a lot of shopping in a small trolley and couldn't be bothered doing self checkout as usual so I had to do everyone's favourite hobby..... Waiting in a queue for one of the two manned checkouts open and the other five closed!!! 😕Not my idea of fun.

If people like manned checkouts then they can carry on using them, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with them that a lot of people like self checkout. And I still say the same thing that the amount of staff a store wants to employ is nothing to do with me or anyone else.

• Angry
Reactions: Helenmac and Ricci
I dont have any problems with self serve, there is a staff there if required to assist you. And I like to pack my own items in the order I like. It’s simple and easy and I still get a nice smile from the staff member. 😉😉

Reactions: Ricci and freedy50
I have never yet used a self-service checkout where I didn't have to call the assistant over at least once. Now, either I'm as thick as (which could be a possibility) or as far as I'm concerned the machines aren't fit for purpose. Unless or until they iron out all the kinks I will continue to use a manned checkout as I find they break down far less often, making my shopping experience a pleasant thing! :)
Must be your first option? Personally they never break down when I've used self serve.
And I pay by phone and have opted for no receipt on my Woolies app🙂

Re the comment that the push towards self-service is NOT costing people their jobs, I would be very interested to hear comments from people who have lost their jobs at stores like K-mart, Big W, Coles and Woolies because of "down-sizing". No joke, I went into Big W recently and it was extremely difficult to find an assistant. The store was practically deserted, no checkouts open, and one girl supervising the self-service checkouts. I requested to speak with a manager as I required assistance and could not find anybody on the shop floor. When he was eventually located and I complained about the lack of staff, I got the usual blame-shifting - "I have no control, the decisions are made by head office in Sydney". I won't be going back there in a hurry.

And on a lighter note, an incident at our local Coles was posted recently on our community Facebook page. I know the person posting it and have no reason to doubt their veracity. Apparently, one Saturday morning recently, our local Coles was so short-staffed, there was only one assistant available to operate a checkout. He allegedly got so frustrated that he told everyone in the line to take their groceries and "sod off" home. As a result quite a few people got their shopping for free that day. Upon asking other employees afterwards what happened, nobody will comment and it is obvious they had been directed not to. Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall!

Last edited:
WTF is that BS about being to uppity to pack ones own groceries.... up yours!!!!!! WE ARE NOT PAID TO DO THAT...... TAKE 20 BUCKS OF THE TOTAL PRICE AND I WOULD HAPPILY PACK MY OWN... Are you quite happy to work for FREE then come to my place and build my raised garden beds, Mow the lawns etc etc...
Another ridiculous reply🙄

Obviously you haven't got a car and get petrol for it? You'd want a discount from the service station for filling your own car.

If I wanted to be a checkout operator at Coles/Woolworths I would have applied for a job there. Why should I scan my items, and also pack them and load into my basket. Then the blasted machine has a hiccup and I have had to wait for an assistant to come and sort out the problem. There is never enough room at the machine and it drives me nuts when I have a large shop. I have also been short changed on the odd occasion. Another thing. I elected to go paperless at Woolworths....that is no good because the receipt does not automatically turn up on my phone until I have left the store and in my car or even longer. The other day I purchased two things on clearance and was charged full price. Did not notice this until I received the online receipt when I got home. I have now gone back to getting a paper receipt so I can check before I leave the store. I have complained to Woolworths on their Facebook page but as yet no response.

WTF is that BS about being to uppity to pack ones own groceries.... up yours!!!!!! WE ARE NOT PAID TO DO THAT...... TAKE 20 BUCKS OF THE TOTAL PRICE AND I WOULD HAPPILY PACK MY OWN... Are you quite happy to work for FREE then come to my place and build my raised garden beds, Mow the lawns etc etc...
I agree 100%,,as I am a paying customer I expect some form of help,,I won't use the self serve check outs ,,it's damned rude to ask people to grab their groceries put them through the scanner then pack them,that is why you have staff and more importantly,,YOU PAY ME NOTHING TO SHOP AT YOUR PREMISES NOR TO DO THE WHOLE PROCESS FROM GO TO WOE

Last edited:
I agree 100%,,as I am a paying customer I expect some form of help,,I won't use the self serve check outs ,,it's damned rude to ask people to grab their groceries put them through the scanner then pack them,that is why you have staff and more importantly,,YOU PAY ME NOTHING TO SHOP AT YOUR PREMISES
Anoush, I agree.

so having a broken arm and wearing a sling I needed someone to pack for me. As a paying customer I need a certain level of assistance. We stand at the self service checkout and the machine scanning our items which is great if it worked all the time however Coles system usually has me asking for help at least twice but at Woolworths I rarely need assistance. I look at the 14 or so checkout counters and only three or four are open. I am short so need assistance with items on the high shelf. There are very few store legends. My time is limited so being able to check in which aisle my item may be. So am I entitled or am I just wanting to have the best shopping experience possible in the shortest time.
Ellenni
Hi, not sure how tech savvy you are but both Coles and Woolworths have an app for mobile phones which can show you which aisle a product is in for any particular store, I often use this

Reactions: freedy50 and Ricci
Self serve checkouts ARE about reduction of costs and do result in job losses.

Technology costs less to maintain than people.

Supermarkets, banks and petrol stations to name a few use technology (self serve/internet) to reduce costs and maximise profits.

The comments made by people that staff is redeployed might hold true in cities although the supermarkets/banks/petrol stations should openly publish staff numbers pre tech and post tech installations. But they do not.

In regional/rural areas redeployment is trickier as there are less or usually no positions to redeploy to.

In 1994 I worked in a country town branch of a major bank. Staff numbered 33. I now live in a city but have gone back to the same country town on several occasions (2000, 2005, 2010 and the last visit was in 2020). The staff at the same branch was 6 by 2020.

The redundant staff members at that branch were not redeployed (nowhere to go). These people had to move away or reskill at their own cost.

Lack of disclosure by large scale employers like supermarkets/banks/petrol stations results in the community never knowing just exactly how many people lose their jobs when technology is installed to replace them.

And supermarkets/banks purposely leave checkouts and tellers unmanned to frustrate customers who stand in long queues. Customers are then forced to use the tech option (I was at an ANZ branch yesterday and stood in a queue for 27 minutes before being served).

Wow! You actually get delivery?
As I write, at 09:00 Qld time I am awaiting delivery (most recent re-promise 12:30 today) for a delivery which was originally promised between 13:00 and 19:00 yesterday, which had not turned up by 20:00, and which (according to the Coles Order Tracker) was rescheduled to arrive between 21:40 and 22:40. At no stage did ANYBODY, Human or Robot, contact me; I had to do all the chasing, including calling a bored-sounding girlie on their 1800 number after 23:00 and being told "It's been delayed" ("Well, DUH!"), with delivery unlikely to occur before 01:00 (today!); she suggested re-contacting them in the morning, which I've done.
The goods only had to come from Mareeba, 35km away; I could have, in my time wasted so far by Coles, driven the round-trip, picked my own goods, paid for same and unloaded at home four or five times AND had a bloody good sleep.This is the first time I've ever requested Coles Delivery. In the absence of a substantial sweetener (like a $50 Gift-card?) to compensate my inconvenience, I'm really not confident there will be return trade.....
I must say I do my shopping with Woolworths, late deliveries haven’t been my issue however early delivery has. I had been out and got home prior to delivery time stated, between 1-2pm. At 12.40 to my horror the delivery van had already been and there was my order sitting near the front door. I wasn’t sure how early they had been but it was long enough to have the ice-cream half melted. After a major complaint was made, I either have my deliveries on time or have noticed the truck parked out the front early but no driver gets out until right on stated delivery time😃

Self serve checkouts ARE about reduction of costs and do result in job losses.

Technology costs less to maintain than people.

Supermarkets, banks and petrol stations to name a few use technology (self serve/internet) to reduce costs and maximise profits.

The comments made by people that staff is redeployed might hold true in cities although the supermarkets/banks/petrol stations should openly publish staff numbers pre tech and post tech installations. But they do not.

In regional/rural areas redeployment is trickier as there are less or usually no positions to redeploy to.

In 1994 I worked in a country town branch of a major bank. Staff numbered 33. I now live in a city but have gone back to the same country town on several occasions (2000, 2005, 2010 and the last visit was in 2020). The staff at the same branch was 6 by 2020.

The redundant staff members at that branch were not redeployed (nowhere to go). These people had to move away or reskill at their own cost.

Lack of disclosure by large scale employers like supermarkets/banks/petrol stations results in the community never knowing just exactly how many people lose their jobs when technology is installed to replace them.

And supermarkets/banks purposely leave checkouts and tellers unmanned to frustrate customers who stand in long queues. Customers are then forced to use the tech option (I was at an ANZ branch yesterday and stood in a queue for 27 minutes before being served).
Exactly as I suspected - the claim there are no job losses is baloney ("Blind Freddy" could see that just looking around the stores - and yes, I am aware of the apparent contradiction) and that supermarkets/banks/etc are trying to force customers to use self-serve checkouts and online options by making it as difficult as possible to use traditional methods of conducting business.

Last edited:
Reactions: chrissyde and Ricci
it is not being entitled to hope you can get assistance do these supermarkets charge less
if you use a self-service checkout
I would really like to see one of the “ Supermarts” trial a small Discount to all users of their Self Check Outs. They may be surprised at the uptake and usage. It could be a “ Win/Win” situation.

Reactions: Ricci and chrissyde