Whooping cough cases soar: Health officials urge vaccination and vigilance

The quiet hum of concern is growing louder across South Australia as the state grapples with a significant surge in whooping cough cases, reaching a six-year peak with health officials urging the public to act.

With 492 cases reported in the state in 2024, the community is facing a health challenge that calls for increased vigilance and proactive measures.

Whooping cough, also known as pertussis, is not a relic of the past but a present and pressing health concern.

The disease, characterised by severe coughing fits that can produce a distinctive 'whoop' sound, has seen a dramatic rise not only in South Australia but across the nation.

1725931924523.png
South Australia saw a surge in whooping cough cases with 492 reported in 2024, the highest in six years. Credit: Shutterstock

With a staggering 25,689 cases recorded around Australia so far in 2024, according to the National Communicable Disease Surveillance Dashboard.

This highly contagious respiratory infection begins deceptively, mimicking the common cold with symptoms such as a runny nose, fever, and mild cough.

However, as the infection progresses, the cough can become extreme and exhausting, posing a serious risk, particularly to infants and young children.

South Australia's Chief Public Health Officer, Nicola Spurrier, has expressed concern, noting that the state is in the throes of a whooping cough wave.

'Week on week, the numbers keep increasing,' she stated

The last significant outbreak in the region was around 2016/2017, followed by a smaller surge in 2020, which was likely mitigated by the widespread adoption of COVID-19 precautions such as mask-wearing and social distancing.

‘Whooping cough is a serious infection, particularly when we think about our youngest and most vulnerable South Australians, and that is little tiny babies,’ Spurrier added.

‘When I have a look back for South Australia, it was about 2016/2017 when we had a very significant wave of whooping cough and then a tiny little wave in 2020,’

‘I think what happened in 2020 was because people were wearing masks and taking all the COVID precautions, it didn't really have a very big wave.’

‘We are now starting to see our numbers pick up.’

Professor Spurrier emphasised that vaccination is crucial in combating the surge, especially for vulnerable infants.

‘We are definitely in a wave at the moment, and I don't know how big that's going to get, but if you have a little baby and you want to make sure they're protected as well as you can, think about getting a whooping cough vaccine booster,’ she said.

‘It's terribly important at the moment for people that are pregnant, expecting a baby, make sure that you've had your whooping cough vaccine.’

Professor Spurrier noted that the effectiveness of the whooping cough vaccination can diminish over time, making booster shots essential.

She also emphasised that early detection and the use of antibiotics are important for effectively treating the disease.

‘If in the next couple of weeks, you get a cold, and you start to get a cough unlike a cough you've ever had before, please go to your doctor and get a PCR test, and if it's whooping cough, you can get on and get it treated,’ Spurrier continued.

‘I am concerned this year that we may be in for quite a significant wave, but what I do know is that if we use vaccine…plus if people are aware that we're having a wave and get in and get diagnosed and treated quickly, that we can dampen down the impact across our community.’

In other news, a former paramedic recommended a spoonful of honey before bedtime to help relieve a cough, especially in children.

However, it's important not to give honey to infants under 12 months because of the risk of infant botulism. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways

• South Australia has reported a significant rise in whooping cough cases, with 492 cases reported in 2024 - the highest in six years.
  • The Chief Public Health Officer, Nicola Spurrier, has urged the public to be vigilant for symptoms and to get vaccinated, especially the young, the elderly, and pregnant women.
  • The whooping cough vaccination's effectiveness can wane over time, making booster shots important for continued protection.
  • Early identification and treatment with antibiotics are crucial in managing whooping cough, and those with symptoms are urged to seek medical advice and get tested.
Have you or your loved ones been affected by the recent surge? What steps are you taking to stay safe? We’d love to hear your insights in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
In 2009 I had whooping cough & it was absolutely awful. Coughing til you lose your breath is no fun. I would suggest everyone checking their vaccination status. This illness is particularly deadly to babies & children & we need to protect them, ourselves & others from becoming one of those statistics. It’s not hard, get vaccinated!

In 2009 I had whooping cough & it was absolutely awful. Coughing til you lose your breath is no fun. I would suggest everyone checking their vaccination status. This illness is particularly deadly to babies & children & we need to protect them, ourselves & others from becoming one of those statistics. It’s not hard, get vaccinated!
I also had whooping cough as an adult (during my fourth pregnancy, back in the 80’s).

Anyone seeing the distress a baby or small child goes through, would know how dangerous the disease is. 😥

I don’t like unproven, “new” vaccines, but the DPT (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus) is not new and has been proven to be essential in disease prevention as well as many other vaccines.

Spurriur
I believe this and other diseases that hadn't been seen regularly for many years is because people have become complacent about vaccines due to our
anti vaccination wackos .
People who have no medical training just conspiracy theories.
Why people even give them the time of day is beyond me.
Spurrier should be in jail !!

• Wow
Reactions: Monks
I'm positive all these disease that were all vaccinated against during our childhood, has reared its ugly head due to this generation becoming complacent and not vaccinated.

I also believe alot of the immigrants that have come into Australia are not vaccinated.

My friends son had whooping cough when he was 3 and was pretty sick , he was vaccinated and the doctor told her he would have probably ended up in hospital if he wasn't vaccinated. He also said it was lucky her other two children were vaccinated or they would have also caught it

Safe and effective ! 🤬🙄🥱
These vaccinations have been around since I was a child and have been proven to be safe and effective.
There are always people who will have a reaction to anything.,but there are millions who don't.
To spruik conspiracy theories is both dangerous and ill informed.
But what can you do there has always been wackos who think they know better.
Just have to hope people with brains will take no notice

I believe this and other diseases that hadn't been seen regularly for many years is because people have become complacent about vaccines due to our
anti vaccination wackos .
People who have no medical training just conspiracy theories.
Why people even give them the time of day is beyond me.
I don't believe in the covid vaccine as it is actually hurting people. Young fit sports people do not just drop dead like we've been reading in the media. It's funny how all my work colleagues who have had so many covid vaccines have had serious colds which turned into influenza, and had weeks off work, where I have only had a sniffle here and there and I am fine. I thought the vaccine was supposed to prevent that.

Reactions: RayJanet and Ebby
I'm positive all these disease that were all vaccinated against during our childhood, has reared its ugly head due to this generation becoming complacent and not vaccinated.

I also believe alot of the immigrants that have come into Australia are not vaccinated.

My friends son had whooping cough when he was 3 and was pretty sick , he was vaccinated and the doctor told her he would have probably ended up in hospital if he wasn't vaccinated. He also said it was lucky her other two children were vaccinated or they would have also caught it
The protection wears off after 10 years, so adults should get a ten-yearly booster. it's not free but not expensive and you can get it through your GP. We are starting to see cases of tetanus in adults too, as this vaccine covers tetanus, Diphtheria and Whooping Cough and adults are not informed enough about the need for boosters.

I don't believe in the covid vaccine as it is actually hurting people. Young fit sports people do not just drop dead like we've been reading in the media. It's funny how all my work colleagues who have had so many covid vaccines have had serious colds which turned into influenza, and had weeks off work, where I have only had a sniffle here and there and I am fine. I thought the vaccine was supposed to prevent that.
Covid vaccines only prevent Covid, not flu or the common cold. The athletes who drop dead usually have an inherited cardiac problem.

Covid vaccines only prevent Covid, not flu or the common cold. The athletes who drop dead usually have an inherited cardiac problem.
Nope, they are dropping dead from the covid vaccines. My husband has a client who works for the morgues and he said when they drain the deceased bodies, the blood of these souls is full of thick worm consistency, not the normal blood flow. This guys has been employed with the morgues for over 20 years and he's mentioned he has never seen anything like it before. He was scared when he saw this.

• Wow
Reactions: PattiB and Dynamo
Nope, they are dropping dead from the covid vaccines. My husband has a client who works for the morgues and he said when they drain the deceased bodies, the blood of these souls is full of thick worm consistency, not the normal blood flow. This guys has been employed with the morgues for over 20 years and he's mentioned he has never seen anything like it before. He was scared when he saw this.
Not enough time has gone by to test the Covid shots. I was very surprised when we were told to get the shots when there hadn’t been enough testing. I thought there should have been 5 yrs or more. (There was too much of a race to see who would be first.)

But the tried and true vaccines that have proven over time how effective they are in preventing so many deadly diseases must never be underrated.

And there it is, just what I was waiting for, "Professor Spurrier emphasised that vaccination is crucial in combating the surge, especially for vulnerable infants."

The medical fraternity have shot themselves in the foot with all their lies...and they only have themselves to blame

What a load of crock. I personally know the people at the funeral parlour where my husband was sent. They were telling me that they had heard these stupid stories.
They said in most cases this is done by the funeral parlour, not the mortuary.
My husband had had five COVID injections and his blood had nothing wrong with it.
Maybe your husband should ask his friend what he's been
smoking/drinking
Conspiracy theorists running riot.
You sound like the idiots who say autism is caused by the measles injection without any proof, except their own uneducated opinion to back up
what they're saying

What a load of crock. I personally know the people at the funeral parlour where my husband was sent. They were telling me that they had heard these stupid stories.
They said in most cases this is done by the funeral parlour, not the mortuary.
My husband had had five COVID injections and his blood had nothing wrong with it.
Maybe your husband should ask his friend what he's been
smoking/drinking
Conspiracy theorists running riot.
You sound like the idiots who say autism is caused by the measles injection without any proof, except their own uneducated opinion to back up
what they're saying
This is a typical response when you know you have been lied to by the government. Sorry but people are dying from the vaccines, not the so called covid virus. I don't think Autism is caused by injections, I think it is caused by all the processed foods that people are eating and all the chemicals they are putting into our food.

This is a typical response when you know you have been lied to by the government. Sorry but people are dying from the vaccines, not the so called covid virus. I don't think Autism is caused by injections, I think it is caused by all the processed foods that people are eating and all the chemicals they are putting into our food.
I have mentioned in the past that I live in the country.
We have plenty of rabbit holes here if you're looking for a few more to go down .