Say goodbye to nighttime coughs as former paramedic shares simple cure

As winter sets in, many of us find ourselves battling the seasonal cold or flu, complete with the dreaded nighttime cough that can disrupt our much-needed rest.​

But fear not—a former paramedic has revealed a simple and sweet remedy that might just be the key to a peaceful night's sleep.

Nikki Jurcutz, who dedicated eight years of her life to saving others with Ambulance Victoria, has shared a cure that could soothe your persistent cough.

'A spoonful of honey has been a game changer in my home,' Jurcutz revealed.

‘This tip has saved me so many times, and I’m hoping it helps another parent, too.’

pasted image 0 (2).png
Nikki Jurcutz, a former paramedic, has shared her easy honey remedy to calm nighttime coughs. Credit: Instagram/tinyheartseducation

Jurcutz, who is also the founder of Tiny Hearts Education, a children's safety organisation, understood the struggle all too well.

'Hearing their little coughs at night, knowing that they aren’t getting a good night’s sleep because of it, can be heartbreaking,' she expressed in a social media post. 'I've been there too.'

When her children are awake by a nagging cough, she turns to honey before bedtime.

This age-old remedy has stood the test of time, and Jurcutz is not alone in her praise for honey's cough-suppressing properties.

‘Just remember, keep your little one’s teeth clean—make sure to brush their teeth before going to bed too,’ she said.

For those who might find a spoonful of honey too thick or sweet, Jurcutz suggested mixing it with a small amount of warm liquid to make it more palatable.

However, she cautioned that honey should never be given to children under 12 months.

‘There is a risk of infant botulism,’ she warned.

1716794346036.png
Nikki Jurctuz claimed that she uses honey for coughing which has been effective in soothing the throat. Credit: Romper

According to New South Wales Ministry of Health, raw honey can cause infant botulism because it contains bacteria called Clostridium.

When babies swallow these bacteria, they might have symptoms like constipation, loss of appetite, weak suck, weak cry, and muscle weakness, including poor head control.

Healthdirect Australia says honey can help with coughs. It might make the cough less severe and shorter. Taking one to two teaspoons of honey 30 minutes before bedtime can be helpful.

Honey isn't just good for coughs; it's also lifesaving. Jurcutz keeps honey in her pantry in case a child swallows a button battery.

She claimed that honey could lower the risk of the battery burning a hole in the child's throat, as battery ingestion is a serious medical emergency and requires immediate medical attention.

‘Honey can make a significant difference in the damage caused,’ she explained.

‘However, using honey as first aid treatment isn’t part of the guideline treatment (yet!), but other countries such as America have implemented the guideline “10mL of honey for every 10 minutes for children over one-year-old”.’.

‘Do NOT delay getting to the hospital to give honey,’ she further explained.

In other news, there has been a notable increase in cough cases across the country. Stay informed on how to safeguard yourself by clicking here.

Key Takeaways
  • A former paramedic suggested a spoonful of honey to relieve a cough at bedtime, particularly for children.
  • It is emphasised not to give honey to children under 12 months due to the risk of infant botulism.
  • Honey has been rated favourably by researchers for reducing the severity and frequency of nocturnal coughs.
  • Honey also has a potential use as a first response if a child swallows a button battery, although this use is not yet part of the guideline treatment in Australia.

Have you ever tried honey as a remedy for a cough? Do you have any other go-to solutions for those nighttime coughs? Share your experiences and tips in the comments below!

Sponsored
I am a firm believer in eating nature's antibiotic in fresh cherries and Yay!! they have just arrived in the supermarkets from US and Canada.

Reactions: Marilynne
I have honey on my cereal very day, have done for years. I recently had an annoying night time cough and yes, honey worked well and soothed my throat. I get my honey straight from the bee keeper, not the supermarket stuff.

Yes perhaps for some people. But my pharmacist says it can act as a cough suppressant which is not good for a Chesty Cough or people, such as myself with Asthma.

I did try honey again for a recent bad cough/flu which has lasted over 6 weeks and it suppressed the cough initially but then I woke up almost choking. So beware!

• Love
Reactions: Marilynne
I use peppermint oil on my chest & back. It works a treat. I put a few drops into a moisturiser, then rub it in. Then there's a square or 2 of dark chocolate to help soothe coughs.

Reactions: Abby2
Try and get local honey, that's from your area. Sometimes the cough is caused by air born allergens and the local honey conteracts these. Local markets sell local honey.
Yes, wherever I’ve lived I always get local honey as I get hay fever and it helps, I don’t get it bad at all now. If you can find a local beekeeper it’s the best way to get it.

Reactions: DLHM
Yes perhaps for some people. But my pharmacist says it can act as a cough suppressant which is not good for a Chesty Cough or people, such as myself with Asthma.

I did try honey again for a recent bad cough/flu which has lasted over 6 weeks and it suppressed the cough initially but then I woke up almost choking. So beware!
Thanks for letting us know