Who wrote the Bible?

The Bible tells an overall story about the history of the world: creation, fall, redemption and God’s Last Judgement of the living and the dead.

The Old Testament (which dates to 300 BCE) begins with the creation of the world and of Adam and Eve, their disobedience to God and their expulsion from the garden of Eden.

The New Testament recounts the redemption of humanity brought about by the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. It finishes in the book of Revelation, with the end of history and God’s Last Judgement.

During the first 400 years of Christianity, the church took its time deciding on the New Testament. Finally, in 367 CE, authorities confirmed the 27 books that make it up.

But who wrote the Bible?

Broadly, there are four different theories.

file-20231215-17-wovd4x.jpg

The Bible tells an overall story about the history of the world. Pixabay/Pexels

1. God wrote the Bible​

All Christians agree the Bible is authoritative. Many see it as the divinely revealed word of God. But there are significant disagreements about what this means.

At its most extreme, this is taken to mean the words themselves are divinely inspired – God dictated the Bible to its writers, who were merely God’s musicians playing a divine composition.

As early as the second century, the Christian philosopher Justin Martyr saw it as only necessary for holy men

to submit their purified persons to the direction of the Holy Spirit, so that this divine plectrum from Heaven, as it were, by using them as a harp or lyre, might reveal to us divine and celestial truths.
In other words, God dictated the words to the Biblical secretaries, who wrote everything down exactly.

This view continued with the medieval Catholic church. Catholic theologian Thomas Aquinas put it simply in the 13th century: “the author of Holy Writ is God”. He qualified this by saying each word in Holy Writ could have several senses – in other words, it could be variously interpreted.

The religious reform movement known as Protestantism swept through Europe in the 1500s. A new group of churches formedalongside the existing Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions of Christianity.

Protestants emphasised the authority of “scripture alone” (“sola scriptura”), meaning the text of the Bible was the supreme authority over the church. This gave greater emphasis to the scriptures and the idea of “divine dictation” got more support.

So, for example, Protestant reformer John Calvin declared:

[we] are fully convinced that the prophets did not speak at their own suggestion, but that, being organs of the Holy Spirit, they only uttered what they had been commissioned from heaven to declare.

file-20231215-27-3bk1hz.jpg

Protestant reformer John Calvin believed in ‘divine dictation’.

“Divine dictation” was linked to the idea that the Bible was without error (inerrant) – because the words were dictated by God.

Generally, over the first 1,700 years of Christian history, this was assumed, if not argued for. But from the 18th century on, both history and science began to cast doubts on the truth of the Bible. And what had once been taken as fact came to be treated as myth and legend.

The impossibility of any sort of error in the scriptures became a doctrine at the forefront of the 20th-century movement known as fundamentalism. The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy in 1978 declared:

Being wholly and verbally God-given, Scripture is without error or fault in all its teaching, no less in what it states about God’s acts in creation, about the events of world history, and about its own literary origins under God, than in its witness to God’s saving grace in individual lives.

2. God inspired the writers: conservative​

An alternative to the theory of divine dictation is the divine inspiration of the writers. Here, both God and humans collaborated in the writing of the Bible. So, not the words, but the authors were inspired by God.

There are two versions of this theory, dating from the Reformation. The conservative version, favoured by Protestantism, was: though the Bible was written by humans, God was a dominant force in the partnership.

Protestants believed the sovereignty of God overruled human freedom. But even the Reformers, Martin Luther and John Calvin, recognised variation within the Biblical stories could be put down to human agency.

Catholics were more inclined to recognise human freedom above divine sovereignty. Some flirted with the idea human authorship was at play, with God only intervening to prevent mistakes.

For example, in 1625, Jacques Bonfrère said the Holy Spirit acts: “not by dictating or inbreathing, but as one keeps an eye on another while he is writing, to keep him from slipping into errors”.

file-20231215-25-7tzwzc.jpg

Catholics were more inclined than Protestants to recognise human freedom above divine sovereignty. Pixabay/Pexels

In the early 1620s, the Archbishop of Split, Marcantonio de Dominis, went a little further. He distinguished between those parts of the Bible revealed to the writers by God and those that weren’t. In the latter, he believed, errors could occur.

His view was supported some 200 years later by John Henry Newman, who led the Oxford movement in the Church of England and later became a cardinal (and then a saint) in the Roman Catholic Church.

Newman argued the divinely inspired books of the Bible were interspersed with human additions. In other words, the Bible was inspired in matters of faith and morals – but not, say, in matters of science and history. It was hard, at times, to distinguish this conservative view from “divine dictation”.

3. God inspired the writers: liberal​

During the 19th century, in both Protestant and Catholic circles, the conservative theory was being overtaken by a more liberal view. The writers of the Bible were inspired by God, but they were “children of their time”, their writings determined by the cultural contexts in which they wrote.

file-20231215-31-6sqtab.jpg

An 18th-century depiction from the gospels of Matthew and Mark. Wikimedia Commons

This view, while recognising the special status of the Bible for Christians, allowed for errors. For example, in 1860 the Anglican theologian Benjamin Jowett declared: “any true doctrine of inspiration must conform to all well-ascertained facts of history or of science”.

For Jowett, to hold to the truth of the Bible against the discoveries of science or history was to do a disservice to religion. At times, though, it’s difficult to tell the difference between a liberal view of inspiration and there being no meaning to “inspiration” at all.

In 1868, a conservative Catholic church pushed back against the more liberal view, declaring God’s direct authorship of the Bible. The Council of the Church known as Vatican 1 declared both the Old and New Testaments were: “written under the inspiration of the holy Spirit, they have God as their author.”

4. People wrote it, with no divine help​

Within the most liberal Christian circles, by the end of the 19th century, the notion of the Bible as “divinely inspired” had lost any meaning.

Liberal Christians could join their secular colleagues in ignoring questions of the Bible’s historical or scientific accuracy or infallibility. The idea of the Bible as a human production was now accepted. And the question of who wrote it was now comparable to questions about the authorship of any other ancient text.

file-20231215-17-ny9bcs.jpg

Eve in the Garden of Eden. Giuliano di Piero di Simone Bugiardini/Wikimedia Commons

The simple answer to “who wrote the Bible?” became: the authors named in the Bible (for example, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – the authors of the four Gospels). But the idea of the Bible’s authorship is complex and problematic. (So are historical studies of ancient texts more generally.)

This is partly because it’s hard to identify particular authors.

The content of the 39 books of the Old Testament is the same as the 24 books of the Jewish Hebrew Bible. Within modern Old Testament studies, it’s now generally accepted that the books were not the production of a single author, but the result of long and changing histories of the stories’ transmission.

The question of authorship, then, is not about an individual writer, but multiple authors, editors, scribes and redactors – along with multiple different versions of the texts.

It’s much the same with the New Testament. While 13 Letters are attributed to Saint Paul, there are doubts about his authorship of seven of them (Ephesians, Colossians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, and Hebrews). There are also disputes over the traditional authorship of a number of the remaining Letters. The book of Revelation was traditionally ascribed to Jesus’s disciple John. But it is now generally agreed he was not its author.

Traditionally, the authors of the four Gospels were thought to be the apostles Matthew and John, Mark (the companion of Jesus’s disciple Peter), and Luke (the companion of Paul, who spread Christianity to the Greco-Roman world in the first century). But the anonymously written Gospels weren’t attributed to these figures until the second and third centuries.

The dates of the Gospels’ creation also suggests they were not written by eyewitnesses to Jesus’s life. The earliest Gospel, Mark (65-70 CE) was written some 30 years after the death of Jesus (from 29-34 CE). The last Gospel, John (90-100 CE) was written some 60-90 years after the death of Jesus.

file-20231215-26-4ya1tj.jpg

The dates of the Gospels’ creation suggests they weren’t written by eyewitnesses to Jesus’s life. Joe Alblas/AAP

It’s clear the author of the Gospel of Mark drew on traditions circulating in the early church about the life and teaching of Jesus and brought them together in the form of ancient biography.

In turn, the Gospel of Mark served as the principal source for the authors of Matthew and Luke. Each of these authors had access to a common source (known as “Q”) of the sayings of Jesus, along with material unique to each of them.

In short, there were many (unknown) authors of the Gospels.

Interestingly, another group of texts, known as the Apocrypha, were written during the time between the Old and New Testaments (400 BCE to the first century CE). The Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Christian traditions consider them part of the Bible, but Protestant churches don’t consider them authoritative.

Divine or human: why does it matter?​

The question of who wrote the Bible matters because the Christian quarter of the world’s population believe the Bible is a not merely a human production.

Divinely inspired, it has a transcendent significance. As such, it provides for Christians an ultimate understanding of how the world is, what history means and how human life should be lived.

It matters because the Biblical worldview is the hidden (and often not-so-hidden) cause of economic, social and personal practices. It remains, as it has always been, a major source of both peace and conflict.

It matters, too, because the Bible remains the most important collection of books in Western civilisation. Regardless of our religious beliefs, it has formed, informed and shaped all of us – whether consciously or unconsciously, for good or ill.

This article was first published on The Conversation and was written by Philip C. Almond Emeritus Professor in the History of Religious Thought, The University of Queensland

Reactions: Ursnpete and Ezzy
Sponsored
When entering a discussion there are several rules as set by social edict.

1) Show respect. You don't need to agree but you do need to respect each other.
2) Discuss the topic not attack the other person. It's the topic that should be centre and focus of all comments.
3) Use respectful communicative skills. Nothing may be obtained by degrading the discussion with vulgar language.
4) Be ready to back up your position with credible evidence and not opinions.
5) In the case of an empase or lack of agreement remember to agree to disagree and part amicably.

If we can enter a discussion with these social ethical rules we may most certainly enjoy a robust conversation.

When entering a discussion there are several rules as set by social edict.

1) Show respect. You don't need to agree but you do need to respect each other.
2) Discuss the topic not attack the other person. It's the topic that should be centre and focus of all comments.
3) Use respectful communicative skills. Nothing may be obtained by degrading the discussion with vulgar language.
4) Be ready to back up your position with credible evidence and not opinions.
5) In the case of an empase or lack of agreement remember to agree to disagree and part amicably.

If we can enter a discussion with these social ethical rules we may most certainly enjoy a robust conversation.
I always say agree to disagree . You stated it well

Reactions: MJFlack and Ingot
Hey people - thank you so much for those great videos of praise.
Later tonight I will replay them.
Very heart-warming (and yes evoked a tear or two).
Appreciated.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Everything you said is true, but you recognise your faults and try to fix it. None of us are sin free but it's the kind of sins we do that makes a difference.

We know we shouldn't judge but can't help our self as we are in human bodies . It's goid in pray to ask for forgiveness and ask for strength to stop judging.
It's really hard not to judge, I find myself doing it and really try not too.

One thing that I look at that is bad as a Christian is forgiveness , we need to forgive others

When you look at the Lord Prayer and we ask God to forgive our trespasses , how can we ask and expect him to forgive us if we can't forgive others.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Yes - thank you for adding that.
I tend to be long winded, so kept it a bit short.

Being Easter, I remembered the story of the two thieves also crucified with Jesus.
One railed at Him, berating Him for not coming down from the cross.
This is the world today - seeking for signs.

The other, recognising Jesus as truly the Son of God, humbly asked Jesus if He would remember him, when He came into His Kingdom.

What a difference in attitude.
That is a story I remember whenever people say "I am not good enough."
Or "I can't be forgiven - it's too late for me."

Well this story is proof that it is never 'too late' if your heart is right.

Here's a bit of extra reading - I just found it, so only read the first third (so far) before deciding some might enjoy it. It's based on Luke 23:39-43

Last edited:
Reactions: Suzanne rose

Being Easter, I remembered the story of the two thieves also crucified with jesus.

The other, recognising Jesus as truly the Son of God, humbly asked Jesus if He would remember him, when He came into His Kingdom.

Here's a bit of extra reading - I just found it, so only read the first third (so far) before deciding some might enjoy it. It's based on Luke 23:39-43

Thanks, I'll read it when dinner is over.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ingot

Being Easter, I remembered the story of the two thieves also crucified with jesus.

I will read it after dinner

Reactions: Ezzy and Ingot
Through many years of studying the bible, I believe it was written by at least 40 people with the main two authors being Moses who wrote the first five books of the bible.

And the 2nd one being Paul.

I believe the bible was written by man but who were inspired by God

Now here's the thing, the bible was written over 1,500 years. This you can see by the time frame of events, kings, wars ect.

But was is amazing is how this book was written by so many people over such a long time yet it's like a jigsaw puzzle that comes together, forming a large picture that comes together.

When reading The New Testament you will see references to the old Testament

I've read the bible from first page to last page maybe 4 times. Through my studies I truly believe it's true.

I'm guessing to believe in the bible , you need to believe in God and too truly believe in God you need to read the bible.

I have seen many many lives turn around by reading and believing and that's where faith starts.

I was once an atheist who did not believe or want to believe. I would say to anyone who tried to preach to me ,if there is a God why does he let people die, why does he let people starve, why does he allow wars.

Then all of a sudden no matter where I was Someone would try sharing Gods word.

I've had bible studies with Jehovah witnesses, Mormons, Pentecostals , and more . The only thing these churches have in common is the Bible ,some also have their own doctrine as well.

I feel you are not going to get your answer from these churches , but you will get answers from the bible.

The bible talks about church , not as in a building nor as a denomination. It's says a church is when 3 or more are gathered in my name.

I believe alot of churches are what gives Christianity a bad name. How Godly is a church when they turn their backs on people of the church who have sinned.

There is no one who hasn't sinned . God doesn't measure a sin. Sin is sin.
But he forgives.

I don't preach or bible bash but when asked I will have discussions.

To me it's a personal thing, but What I see is there are two paths , a very huge path and a very narrow hard path.
The huge path is easy to travel , doing exactly what everyone else is doing.

The narrow path represents God and doing what he wants of us. Doing good works. Trying to be the best person we can. Not following others eg a life of substance abuse, not judging ect ect.

This path I try to stay on and its very very hard but faith kinda of helps 🙏
Thank you, Suzanne for you heartfelt sharing.

Can I just saying in regards, why our God allow people to die. We are finite begins. People starve because others don't want to share or even to help. Regarding starting wars. Our God didn't start the wars. In all these human events. He created us in His image and likeness in the hope we will see, respect and care for His others images and likeness. Our God respect our freedom of choice. We are not children expecting our God to clean up the mess we made.

Where 2 or 3 are gathered God's name. It's about communal gathering and above all together-ness. Christianity is not about just me and God. It's about all of us together. It's kinda sad when individual wants to interpret the Bible according to their own interpretation and deliberately neglect researching and more importantly asking the Holy Spirit to guide them to the Truth about the historical background of the biblical text they are reading. What was happening during the time this text was been written. Just some thoughts. I pray you find what you are searching for in Risen Lord during this season of Easter.

Reactions: Ingot
Thank you, Suzanne for you heartfelt sharing.

Can I just saying in regards, why our God allow people to die. We are finite begins. People starve because others don't want to share or even to help. Regarding starting wars. Our God didn't start the wars. In all these human events. He created us in His image and likeness in the hope we will see, respect and care for His others images and likeness. Our God respect our freedom of choice. We are not children expecting our God to clean up the mess we made.

Where 2 or 3 are gathered God's name. It's about communal gathering and above all together-ness. Christianity is not about just me and God. It's about all of us together. It's kinda sad when individual wants to interpret the Bible according to their own interpretation and deliberately neglect researching and more importantly asking the Holy Spirit to guide them to the Truth about the historical background of the biblical text they are reading. What was happening during the time this text was been written. Just some thoughts. I pray you find what you are searching for in Risen Lord during this season of Easter.
I have 🙏

Reactions: Ingot and Ezzy
The early Church Fathers agreed that the scriptures were inspired or dictated by God.

Faith is considered a belief and trust in God and the word of God as in the Bible, based on evidence and belief, but without total proof.

Reactions: Ingot