Who wrote the Bible?

The Bible tells an overall story about the history of the world: creation, fall, redemption and God’s Last Judgement of the living and the dead.

The Old Testament (which dates to 300 BCE) begins with the creation of the world and of Adam and Eve, their disobedience to God and their expulsion from the garden of Eden.

The New Testament recounts the redemption of humanity brought about by the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. It finishes in the book of Revelation, with the end of history and God’s Last Judgement.

During the first 400 years of Christianity, the church took its time deciding on the New Testament. Finally, in 367 CE, authorities confirmed the 27 books that make it up.

But who wrote the Bible?

Broadly, there are four different theories.

file-20231215-17-wovd4x.jpg

The Bible tells an overall story about the history of the world. Pixabay/Pexels

1. God wrote the Bible​

All Christians agree the Bible is authoritative. Many see it as the divinely revealed word of God. But there are significant disagreements about what this means.

At its most extreme, this is taken to mean the words themselves are divinely inspired – God dictated the Bible to its writers, who were merely God’s musicians playing a divine composition.

As early as the second century, the Christian philosopher Justin Martyr saw it as only necessary for holy men

to submit their purified persons to the direction of the Holy Spirit, so that this divine plectrum from Heaven, as it were, by using them as a harp or lyre, might reveal to us divine and celestial truths.
In other words, God dictated the words to the Biblical secretaries, who wrote everything down exactly.

This view continued with the medieval Catholic church. Catholic theologian Thomas Aquinas put it simply in the 13th century: “the author of Holy Writ is God”. He qualified this by saying each word in Holy Writ could have several senses – in other words, it could be variously interpreted.

The religious reform movement known as Protestantism swept through Europe in the 1500s. A new group of churches formedalongside the existing Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions of Christianity.

Protestants emphasised the authority of “scripture alone” (“sola scriptura”), meaning the text of the Bible was the supreme authority over the church. This gave greater emphasis to the scriptures and the idea of “divine dictation” got more support.

So, for example, Protestant reformer John Calvin declared:

[we] are fully convinced that the prophets did not speak at their own suggestion, but that, being organs of the Holy Spirit, they only uttered what they had been commissioned from heaven to declare.

file-20231215-27-3bk1hz.jpg

Protestant reformer John Calvin believed in ‘divine dictation’.

“Divine dictation” was linked to the idea that the Bible was without error (inerrant) – because the words were dictated by God.

Generally, over the first 1,700 years of Christian history, this was assumed, if not argued for. But from the 18th century on, both history and science began to cast doubts on the truth of the Bible. And what had once been taken as fact came to be treated as myth and legend.

The impossibility of any sort of error in the scriptures became a doctrine at the forefront of the 20th-century movement known as fundamentalism. The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy in 1978 declared:

Being wholly and verbally God-given, Scripture is without error or fault in all its teaching, no less in what it states about God’s acts in creation, about the events of world history, and about its own literary origins under God, than in its witness to God’s saving grace in individual lives.

2. God inspired the writers: conservative​

An alternative to the theory of divine dictation is the divine inspiration of the writers. Here, both God and humans collaborated in the writing of the Bible. So, not the words, but the authors were inspired by God.

There are two versions of this theory, dating from the Reformation. The conservative version, favoured by Protestantism, was: though the Bible was written by humans, God was a dominant force in the partnership.

Protestants believed the sovereignty of God overruled human freedom. But even the Reformers, Martin Luther and John Calvin, recognised variation within the Biblical stories could be put down to human agency.

Catholics were more inclined to recognise human freedom above divine sovereignty. Some flirted with the idea human authorship was at play, with God only intervening to prevent mistakes.

For example, in 1625, Jacques Bonfrère said the Holy Spirit acts: “not by dictating or inbreathing, but as one keeps an eye on another while he is writing, to keep him from slipping into errors”.

file-20231215-25-7tzwzc.jpg

Catholics were more inclined than Protestants to recognise human freedom above divine sovereignty. Pixabay/Pexels

In the early 1620s, the Archbishop of Split, Marcantonio de Dominis, went a little further. He distinguished between those parts of the Bible revealed to the writers by God and those that weren’t. In the latter, he believed, errors could occur.

His view was supported some 200 years later by John Henry Newman, who led the Oxford movement in the Church of England and later became a cardinal (and then a saint) in the Roman Catholic Church.

Newman argued the divinely inspired books of the Bible were interspersed with human additions. In other words, the Bible was inspired in matters of faith and morals – but not, say, in matters of science and history. It was hard, at times, to distinguish this conservative view from “divine dictation”.

3. God inspired the writers: liberal​

During the 19th century, in both Protestant and Catholic circles, the conservative theory was being overtaken by a more liberal view. The writers of the Bible were inspired by God, but they were “children of their time”, their writings determined by the cultural contexts in which they wrote.

file-20231215-31-6sqtab.jpg

An 18th-century depiction from the gospels of Matthew and Mark. Wikimedia Commons

This view, while recognising the special status of the Bible for Christians, allowed for errors. For example, in 1860 the Anglican theologian Benjamin Jowett declared: “any true doctrine of inspiration must conform to all well-ascertained facts of history or of science”.

For Jowett, to hold to the truth of the Bible against the discoveries of science or history was to do a disservice to religion. At times, though, it’s difficult to tell the difference between a liberal view of inspiration and there being no meaning to “inspiration” at all.

In 1868, a conservative Catholic church pushed back against the more liberal view, declaring God’s direct authorship of the Bible. The Council of the Church known as Vatican 1 declared both the Old and New Testaments were: “written under the inspiration of the holy Spirit, they have God as their author.”

4. People wrote it, with no divine help​

Within the most liberal Christian circles, by the end of the 19th century, the notion of the Bible as “divinely inspired” had lost any meaning.

Liberal Christians could join their secular colleagues in ignoring questions of the Bible’s historical or scientific accuracy or infallibility. The idea of the Bible as a human production was now accepted. And the question of who wrote it was now comparable to questions about the authorship of any other ancient text.

file-20231215-17-ny9bcs.jpg

Eve in the Garden of Eden. Giuliano di Piero di Simone Bugiardini/Wikimedia Commons

The simple answer to “who wrote the Bible?” became: the authors named in the Bible (for example, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John – the authors of the four Gospels). But the idea of the Bible’s authorship is complex and problematic. (So are historical studies of ancient texts more generally.)

This is partly because it’s hard to identify particular authors.

The content of the 39 books of the Old Testament is the same as the 24 books of the Jewish Hebrew Bible. Within modern Old Testament studies, it’s now generally accepted that the books were not the production of a single author, but the result of long and changing histories of the stories’ transmission.

The question of authorship, then, is not about an individual writer, but multiple authors, editors, scribes and redactors – along with multiple different versions of the texts.

It’s much the same with the New Testament. While 13 Letters are attributed to Saint Paul, there are doubts about his authorship of seven of them (Ephesians, Colossians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, and Hebrews). There are also disputes over the traditional authorship of a number of the remaining Letters. The book of Revelation was traditionally ascribed to Jesus’s disciple John. But it is now generally agreed he was not its author.

Traditionally, the authors of the four Gospels were thought to be the apostles Matthew and John, Mark (the companion of Jesus’s disciple Peter), and Luke (the companion of Paul, who spread Christianity to the Greco-Roman world in the first century). But the anonymously written Gospels weren’t attributed to these figures until the second and third centuries.

The dates of the Gospels’ creation also suggests they were not written by eyewitnesses to Jesus’s life. The earliest Gospel, Mark (65-70 CE) was written some 30 years after the death of Jesus (from 29-34 CE). The last Gospel, John (90-100 CE) was written some 60-90 years after the death of Jesus.

file-20231215-26-4ya1tj.jpg

The dates of the Gospels’ creation suggests they weren’t written by eyewitnesses to Jesus’s life. Joe Alblas/AAP

It’s clear the author of the Gospel of Mark drew on traditions circulating in the early church about the life and teaching of Jesus and brought them together in the form of ancient biography.

In turn, the Gospel of Mark served as the principal source for the authors of Matthew and Luke. Each of these authors had access to a common source (known as “Q”) of the sayings of Jesus, along with material unique to each of them.

In short, there were many (unknown) authors of the Gospels.

Interestingly, another group of texts, known as the Apocrypha, were written during the time between the Old and New Testaments (400 BCE to the first century CE). The Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Christian traditions consider them part of the Bible, but Protestant churches don’t consider them authoritative.

Divine or human: why does it matter?​

The question of who wrote the Bible matters because the Christian quarter of the world’s population believe the Bible is a not merely a human production.

Divinely inspired, it has a transcendent significance. As such, it provides for Christians an ultimate understanding of how the world is, what history means and how human life should be lived.

It matters because the Biblical worldview is the hidden (and often not-so-hidden) cause of economic, social and personal practices. It remains, as it has always been, a major source of both peace and conflict.

It matters, too, because the Bible remains the most important collection of books in Western civilisation. Regardless of our religious beliefs, it has formed, informed and shaped all of us – whether consciously or unconsciously, for good or ill.

This article was first published on The Conversation and was written by Philip C. Almond Emeritus Professor in the History of Religious Thought, The University of Queensland

Reactions: Ursnpete and Ezzy
Sponsored
Maybe some Bethlehem script writer for Hollywood or Aesop? Or even the band Soundgarden? Just to think that the video for the song "Jesus Christ Pose" was directed by someone named Eric Zimmerman! That fact alone bring a smile to my face!

s-l1600.jpg

Watch the full video and be surprised at the artistic imagery of a fictitious event. Rates in the my Top 50 Songs of all time, without taking the video into account.

Ha ha ha!!!

Reactions: Marilynne
My BIBLE STUDIES by correspondence revealed that these were WRITTEN WITH INSPIRATION FROM GOD which is what has been suggested already.

The main authors in the N.T. of course are MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE & JOHN. The scriptures were written in Hebrew & suggestion has been made that some writings changed in the translations.

Through many years of studying the bible, I believe it was written by at least 40 people with the main two authors being Moses who wrote the first five books of the bible.

And the 2nd one being Paul.

I believe the bible was written by man but who were inspired by God

Now here's the thing, the bible was written over 1,500 years. This you can see by the time frame of events, kings, wars ect.

But was is amazing is how this book was written by so many people over such a long time yet it's like a jigsaw puzzle that comes together, forming a large picture that comes together.

When reading The New Testament you will see references to the old Testament

I've read the bible from first page to last page maybe 4 times. Through my studies I truly believe it's true.

I'm guessing to believe in the bible , you need to believe in God and too truly believe in God you need to read the bible.

I have seen many many lives turn around by reading and believing and that's where faith starts.

I was once an atheist who did not believe or want to believe. I would say to anyone who tried to preach to me ,if there is a God why does he let people die, why does he let people starve, why does he allow wars.

Then all of a sudden no matter where I was Someone would try sharing Gods word.

I've had bible studies with Jehovah witnesses, Mormons, Pentecostals , and more . The only thing these churches have in common is the Bible ,some also have their own doctrine as well.

I feel you are not going to get your answer from these churches , but you will get answers from the bible.

The bible talks about church , not as in a building nor as a denomination. It's says a church is when 3 or more are gathered in my name.

I believe alot of churches are what gives Christianity a bad name. How Godly is a church when they turn their backs on people of the church who have sinned.

There is no one who hasn't sinned . God doesn't measure a sin. Sin is sin.
But he forgives.

I don't preach or bible bash but when asked I will have discussions.

To me it's a personal thing, but What I see is there are two paths , a very huge path and a very narrow hard path.
The huge path is easy to travel , doing exactly what everyone else is doing.

The narrow path represents God and doing what he wants of us. Doing good works. Trying to be the best person we can. Not following others eg a life of substance abuse, not judging ect ect.

This path I try to stay on and its very very hard but faith kinda of helps 🙏

It's a big money making business - money and power
Exploitation
It's a Cult
It is based on judgement and hypocrisy
It harbours dirty secrets
It is a crutch for people who need it (and that is ok, just doesn't make it non-fiction)

The path of being a decent person is challenging but it is a benchmark that is worth striving for - nothing to do with Religion.

Having attended a Catholic Primary School with all Nun teachers, on-site Church and Priest - Kindness and Honesty was not an example set at all - quite the contrary.

Just my opinion.

Maybe some Bethlehem script writer for Hollywood or Aesop? Or even the band Soundgarden? Just to think that the video for the song "Jesus Christ Pose" was directed by someone named Eric Zimmerman! That fact alone bring a smile to my face!

View attachment 37870

Watch the full video and be surprised at the artistic imagery of a fictitious event. Rates in the my Top 50 Songs of all time, without taking the video into account.

Ha ha ha!!!

I have no idea what this song is about. Is it just angry head banging music and being controversial?
Is about drugs, eg heroin?

Reactions: Littleboy8
It's a big money making business - money and power
Exploitation
It's a Cult
It is based on judgement and hypocrisy
It harbours dirty secrets
It is a crutch for people who need it (and that is ok, just doesn't make it non-fiction)

The path of being a decent person is challenging but it is a benchmark that is worth striving for - nothing to do with Religion.

Having attended a Catholic Primary School with all Nun teachers, on-site Church and Priest - Kindness and Honesty was not an example set at all - quite the contrary.

Just my opinion.
Did you know the Catholic church wouldn't let people read the bible, they always said people wouldn't understand it was too sacred.
It's only been I think the last 70 years they have let their parishners actually read or own a bible

The Catholic Church will say its the book of judgement but it really isn't.

I don't like religious groups because they all add something or take scripture and twist it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ingot and Ezzy
Did you know the Catholic church wouldn't let people read the bible, they always said people wouldn't understand it was too sacred.
It's only been I think the last 70 years they have let their parishners actually read or own a bible

The Catholic Church will say its the book of judgement but it really isn't.

I don't like religion because they all add something or take scripture and twist it.
Thanks Suzanne rose, l wasn't aware of that fact. Very interesting.

In some ways l guess religious leaders can treat people like mushrooms:- keep them in the dark & feed them on b.s., perhaps?

Is it any wonder we have had religious wars in the past when people put their own interpretation on a point?

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Thanks Suzanne rose, l wasn't aware of that fact. Very interesting.

In some ways l guess religious leaders can treat people like mushrooms:- keep them in the dark & feed them on b.s., perhaps?

Is it any wonder we have had religious wars in the past when people put their own interpretation on a point?
Agree, it happens too often and I think it's the different interpretation that pushes people way from church.

I have always believed research yourself, find the truth yourself .

It's like let's say, I'm driving you somewhere and say to you can you please check the road map where we are going but you say it's ok I know the way, then we get loss and I realise we should have checked the map. I trusted you that you knew the way.
It's the same with so many people ,they trust a priest and listen to only what they say and not read the book themselves and they end up lost all because the priest/ preacher wasn't teaching from the bible.

Reactions: Ezzy
Agree, it happens too often and I think it's the different interpretation that pushes people way from church.

I have always believed research yourself, find the truth yourself .

It's like let's say, I'm driving you somewhere and say to you can you please check the road map where we are going but you say it's ok I know the way, then we get loss and I realise we should have checked the map. I trusted you that you knew the way.
It's the same with so many people ,they trust a priest and listen to only what they say and not read the book themselves and they end up lost all because the priest/ preacher wasn't teaching from the bible.
Agree with you. You have stated the facts in a nutshell with a perfect example.

Agree with you. You have stated the facts in a nutshell with a perfect example.
Until the twentieth Century, it was only Protestants who actively embraced Scripture study. That changed after 1943 when Pope Pius XII issued the encyclical Divino Afflante Spiritu. This not only allowed Catholics to study Scripture, it encouraged them to do so.

According to Tyndale, the Catholic Church forbid owning or reading the Bible to control and restrict the teachings and to enhance their own

And we wonder why the doctrine in churches are so very different

Reactions: Ezzy
Until the twentieth Century, it was only Protestants who actively embraced Scripture study. That changed after 1943 when Pope Pius XII issued the encyclical Divino Afflante Spiritu. This not only allowed Catholics to study Scripture, it encouraged them to do so.

According to Tyndale, the Catholic Church forbid owning or reading the Bible to control and restrict the teachings and to enhance their own

And we wonder why the doctrine in churches are so very different
This is a direct quote from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops ‘Changes in Catholic Attitudes”. Are you speaking as a Jehovah Witness? Evangelization

This is a direct quote from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops ‘Changes in Catholic Attitudes”. Are you speaking as a Jehovah Witness? Evangelization
No I'm speaking of someone who did a huge study on the bible years ago . Yes the first part is a direct quote. The Catholics were not allowed to own a bible or even read a bible.

Each religion has their own doctrine some made by their founding member.

I will give you a few eg although I can add 100s.

The orthodox and Catholics both have Icons including Saints that they worship it's clear in the bible that God is against all icons Exodus 20:4 You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; for I am a zealous God

I've studied the Jehovah witness religion
( 2 years) it was started by A MAN Charles Russel in 1870 and it is very wrong as are so many other religions. They made their own bible using the King James version and twisted so much of it

I've studied Mormons ( 18 months) started by A MAN Joseph Smith in 1830 he as well as another leader Brigham Young were both polygamists, again so very wrong, in the old Testament men had many wives but in The New Testament there was a new set of rules given and a man could have one wife. Today there are many members of the church who are still polygamist . They go by The Book Of Mormon and not so much on the bible

I've studied pentecostal, they believe that when you believe you are filled with the holy spirit and you will soeak in tongues, yes in the bible Paul spoke in tongues , this gift was given so that when he travelled to different countries he could preach and people would understand him. People at pentacost were filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues and that is where The pentecostal got their name . But it also states in the bible that tongues shall cease. I can go on and on with examples orthodox,Catholic, born again all wrong .
These are just tiny examples I can add much much more , but I won't.

My conclusion is there is no correct religion.

I try to do good, I don't steal , I don't do to others what I don't want done to me.
I try not to judge.
I try to live an honest life.
I pray and give thanks
I still read the bible but not fanatically.
I also believe we have to respect others beliefs and agree to disagree.
It's up to each individual to find their own way not for someone else to try and push them to it

Last edited:
No I did a huge study on the bible years ago . Yes the first part is a direct quote. The Catholics were not allowed to own a bible or even read a bible.
I've studied the Jehovah witness religion
( 2 years) and it is very wrong as are so many other religions, I've studied Mormons ( 18 months) again so very wrong, I've studied pentecostal, orthodox,Catholic, born again all wrong .

Each religion has their own doctrine some made by their founding member.

I will give you a few eg although I can add 100s.

The orthodox and Catholics both have Icons including Saints that they worship it's clear in the bible that God is against all icons Exodus 20:4 You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; for I am a zealous God.
This is just one tiny example
Something stated to me once & is quite obvious:- Jesus Christ was crucified on a cross but rose to Heaven, so why do some religions still depict him on the cross?

Something stated to me once & is quite obvious:- Jesus Christ was crucified on a cross but rose to Heaven, so why do some religions still depict him on the cross?
I think religions depict him on the cross to remind people how he suffered.

I look at the whole picture ,even the two thief's that were also crucified and how one thief ask Jesus ' aren't you the Messiah then save yourself and us.
But the other, He asks, instead, to be taken up with Christ, saying “Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.” (Lk 23:42). Jesus replies ,I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.”

What I don't understand is how many Christians celebrate Easter and Jesus's crucifixion and resurrection only once a year. To me I give thanks every day for dying to save us from our sins.
This was Gods plan from the birth of Jesus to his death.

Many Christians wear crosses I don't

Thanks, Suzanne Rose. I do admire your significant efforts in finding your truth and righteousness as per your beliefs. Each religion seems to offer a reward, the holy grail, so to speak, for personal enlightenment or forgiveness by way of having the “Faith”. I personally cannot invest in studies that are so ambiguous and resign myself to never knowing the facts in my lifetime and accept the consequences of being truthful to myself. Interpretation and practices of religions have and do cause great harm to so many since time immemorial - I accept that I don’t understand what I don't understand. As a sentiment, Buddhism has merit as it appears to be the epitome of no harm, for me, not from a faith point of view, just an ideology.

We have rules of law that seek to address the obvious right and wrongs in society. More than that, we each have morals that mean something to us individually. The paths you speak of I see more simply a state of mind to basically strive to be more accepting, tolerant and kind, holding back on judgment - or path of potential bigotry and bitter disappointments. As we are not all born equal, we do not get to choose our strengths or weaknesses - why should people be judged for that? But religion is judgemental. If you do this…you will be rewarded, saved/forgiven and therefore receive…(something), but you must have ‘Faith’ in ‘Me’ and ‘My Word’. Not everybody is capable of reading ‘The Bible’ or have any understanding of what it means, or the belief that it is in fact a truth…so the skeptical should be hypocrites in order to have the promised reward…whatever that is?? ...otherwise....? How about just try to be kind to ourselves and others?....that is hard enough and good enough in my opinion. I will leave the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Thanks, Suzanne Rose. I do admire your significant efforts in finding your truth and righteousness as per your beliefs. Each religion seems to offer a reward, the holy grail, so to speak, for personal enlightenment or forgiveness by way of having the “Faith”. I personally cannot invest in studies that are so ambiguous and resign myself to never knowing the facts in my lifetime and accept the consequences of being truthful to myself. Interpretation and practices of religions have and do cause great harm to so many since time immemorial - I accept that I don’t understand what I don't understand. As a sentiment, Buddhism has merit as it appears to be the epitome of no harm, for me, not from a faith point of view, just an ideology.

We have rules of law that seek to address the obvious right and wrongs in society. More than that, we each have morals that mean something to us individually. The paths you speak of I see more simply a state of mind to basically strive to be more accepting, tolerant and kind, holding back on judgment - or path of potential bigotry and bitter disappointments. As we are not all born equal, we do not get to choose our strengths or weaknesses - why should people be judged for that? But religion is judgemental. If you do this…you will be rewarded, saved/forgiven and therefore receive…(something), but you must have ‘Faith’ in ‘Me’ and ‘My Word’. Not everybody is capable of reading ‘The Bible’ or have any understanding of what it means, or the belief that it is in fact a truth…so the skeptical should be hypocrites in order to have the promised reward…whatever that is?? ...otherwise....? How about just try to be kind to ourselves and others?....that is hard enough and good enough in my opinion. I will leave the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Well said. Trouble with me is I have for many years seen the bad in so many religions but I say to friends who try to get me to go to their church that I'm happy for them if they are content in their church.
I will never tell them the wrong in their church unless they ask me what I think. But I tell them for both of us to respect each ones beliefs.

Studying the bible in depth has taken me around 35 years I know the bible is a book of truth, it's the churches that change and add to it.
It's not the bible that judges people it's the churches.

I had friends in the Jehovah witnesses ,the husband cheated on the wife , they were trying to work through it but sadly the church turned their back on him, literally, when he went to church no one talked to him, they acted like he wasn't there. They talked to the wife yet didn't even make eye contact. They ended up getting into her ear that she left her husband even after he did what ever he could to prove to her he was sorry. The church should have stayed out of it unless they offered support to help them heal. The bible states not to divorce unless you are being abused

I have so many stories like this.

Well said. Trouble with me is I have for many years seen the bad in so many religions but I say to friends who try to get me to go to their church that I'm happy for them if they are content in their church.
I will never tell them the wrong in their church unless they ask me what I think. But I tell them for both of us to respect each ones beliefs.

Studying the bible in depth has taken me around 35 years I know the bible is a book of truth, it's the churches that change and add to it.
It's not the bible that judges people it's the churches.

I had friends in the Jehovah witnesses ,the husband cheated on the wife , they were trying to work through it but sadly the church turned their back on him, literally, when he went to church no one talked to him, they acted like he wasn't there. They talked to the wife yet didn't even make eye contact. They ended up getting into her ear that she left her husband even after he did what ever he could to prove to her he was sorry. The church should have stayed out of it unless they offered support to help them heal. The bible states not to divorce unless you are being abused

I have so many stories like this.
When l was struggling after my mother died & l was 2IC in my church l could get no support from my Captain. I resigned my commission but still nothing, so l left the band & singers but still nothing so l left altogether.

Doing Telephone Counselling l was told that this is common in many Churches. Are the leaders unwilling to deal with people's problems, unable or both?

Why are our Church leaders so blind that they cannot 'see the wood for the trees'? My position was never filled while those Officers remained there (a husband & wife). [He also bought a Funeral Service while there]. The previous Officers had their finger on the pulse, knew everything that was happening there & were always willing to help. [they also ran a Soup Run every morning with help from volunteers including myself].

I never returned to that Church but still retain my faith & consider myself to be a member of the Salvation Army.

When l was struggling after my mother died & l was 2IC in my church l could get no support from my Captain. I resigned my commission but still nothing, so l left the band & singers but still nothing so l left altogether.

Doing Telephone Counselling l was told that this is common in many Churches. Are the leaders unwilling to deal with people's problems, unable or both?

Why are our Church leaders so blind that they cannot 'see the wood for the trees'? My position was never filled while those Officers remained there (a husband & wife). [He also bought a Funeral Service while there]. The previous Officers had their finger on the pulse, knew everything that was happening there & were always willing to help. [they also ran a Soup Run every morning with help from volunteers including myself].

I never returned to that Church but still retain my faith & consider myself to be a member of the Salvation Army.
Unfortunately alot of churches are like that. I don't go to church but I still have my faith too . People think a church is a building full of people and to be saved you need to go to church. What the bible calls church really is exactly what you and I'm doing now.
For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them" (Matthew 18:20) this is the true church.
In the many many churches Ive attended I have always seen hypocrites and judges.

Unfortunately alot of churches are like that. I don't go to church but I still have my faith too . People think a church is a building full of people and to be saved you need to go to church. What the bible calls church really is exactly what you and I'm doing now.
For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them" (Matthew 18:20) this is the true church.
In the many many churches Ive attended I have always seen hypocrites and judges.
Ever so true dear friend.