Who needs expensive saucepans? Kmart's budget option reigns supreme!

We here at the SDC never shy away from a good bargain, especially when that bargain offers great quality too.

So we were absolutely thrilled to hear about a recent Consumer NZ test which found a budget buy from one of our favourite retail stores to be one of the most impressive products in their lineup!

The test pitted thirteen different saucepans against each other, and the winner was (drum roll please…) none other than the budget-friendly Anko 20cm Stainless Steel Saucepan from Kmart!

This little beauty, priced at a mere $22, narrowly beat out the rest of its competition, including a fancy schmancy $270 20cm Per Sempre Covered saucepan from Essteele.

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 12.28.38 PM.png
Several different kinds of saucepans were tested by Consumer NZ, and to everyone's surprise, the best one was a rather inexpensive option. Credit: Pexels/Castorly Stock.

The experts at Consumer NZ put each saucepan on the hot seat to see if it was a kitchen superstar or just a pan of hot air. They cooked up some delicious scrambled eggs to test for even cooking and sticking, and timed how long it took each pan to bring 1L of water to a boil.

But the real test was in the details - they examined the balance and weight of each pan, checked if the handles were comfortable to hold, and even looked at how easy they were to pour without making a mess.

And when the cooking was done, they put each pan through a rigorous cleaning test to see if they were easy to clean up.

In the end, the Kmart saucepan came out on top with a score of 90 out of 100, while the pricey Essteele pan followed behind with a score of 86. Pretty impressive, eh?

The consumer watchdog put some of the biggest names in the saucepan game to the test - Wiltshire, Hampton & Mason, Scanpan, The Warehouse's Living and Co, Anolon, and Baccarat - but they all fell short of the top spot.

Who would've thought that the humble Anko saucepan could give the big brands a run for their money? This just goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a great saucepan.

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 12.28.29 PM.png
Kmart's Anko stainless steel saucepan came out on top of the list. Credit: Kmart.

The 20 cm Anko Stainless Steel Saucepan is packed with features that will make your cooking experience a breeze.

It even features a thick aluminium-encapsulated base for even heat distribution, a welded long handle that stays cool to the touch, and a glass lid with a wide grip stainless steel handle.

And the best part? It's compatible with electric, gas, ceramic, halogen, and induction cooktops, and it's dishwasher-safe too!

But don't just take our word for it; the Anko saucepan has a whopping 4.8-star rating on the Kmart website, with plenty of satisfied customers singing its praises.

'Good quality pot at an exceptional price,' one reviewer said, while another wrote, 'Great saucepan, perfect diameter and depth. Stylish and not cheap-looking!'

So if you're looking for a saucepan that will make your cooking experience a joy, give this one a try!
Key Takeaways

• Consumer NZ recently tested 13 saucepans, and results showed a budget buy from Kmart, priced at $22, came out on top.
  • The $22 Kmart saucepan earned a total score of 90 out of 100, while Essteele's $270 saucepan came a close second with 86 points.
  • Consideration was given to the balance and weight of each saucepan and how comfortable the handle was, including resistance to heat.
So, if you're a senior on a budget looking for a great quality saucepan, head on over to Kmart and pick up one of these little gems!

And remember, don't let yourself be tempted by brands with a large price tag. Do your research and take a chance on the cheaper option. You might be pleasantly surprised, like with the Kmart saucepan!

Have you ever tried a lower-priced item that performed as well, if not better, than an expensive product? Share your experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
The last set of saucepans I bought was a cheapie set from Spotlight. I've had them now for about 12 years. They certainly don't owe me anything and are still going strong. I've thought about updating them as they no longer look pristine but they still do the job, the non-stick is still intact, who cares about pretty! :)

We here at the SDC never shy away from a good bargain, especially when that bargain offers great quality too.

So we were absolutely thrilled to hear about a recent Consumer NZ test which found a budget buy from one of our favourite retail stores to be one of the most impressive products in their lineup!

The test pitted thirteen different saucepans against each other, and the winner was (drum roll please…) none other than the budget-friendly Anko 20cm Stainless Steel Saucepan from Kmart!

This little beauty, priced at a mere $22, narrowly beat out the rest of its competition, including a fancy schmancy $270 20cm Per Sempre Covered saucepan from Essteele.

View attachment 12312
Several different kinds of saucepans were tested by Consumer NZ, and to everyone's surprise, the best one was a rather inexpensive option. Credit: Pexels/Castorly Stock.

The experts at Consumer NZ put each saucepan on the hot seat to see if it was a kitchen superstar or just a pan of hot air. They cooked up some delicious scrambled eggs to test for even cooking and sticking, and timed how long it took each pan to bring 1L of water to a boil.

But the real test was in the details - they examined the balance and weight of each pan, checked if the handles were comfortable to hold, and even looked at how easy they were to pour without making a mess.

And when the cooking was done, they put each pan through a rigorous cleaning test to see if they were easy to clean up.

In the end, the Kmart saucepan came out on top with a score of 90 out of 100, while the pricey Essteele pan followed behind with a score of 86. Pretty impressive, eh?

The consumer watchdog put some of the biggest names in the saucepan game to the test - Wiltshire, Hampton & Mason, Scanpan, The Warehouse's Living and Co, Anolon, and Baccarat - but they all fell short of the top spot.

Who would've thought that the humble Anko saucepan could give the big brands a run for their money? This just goes to show that you don't have to spend a fortune to get a great saucepan.

View attachment 12313
Kmart's Anko stainless steel saucepan came out on top of the list. Credit: Kmart.

The 20 cm Anko Stainless Steel Saucepan is packed with features that will make your cooking experience a breeze.

It even features a thick aluminium-encapsulated base for even heat distribution, a welded long handle that stays cool to the touch, and a glass lid with a wide grip stainless steel handle.

And the best part? It's compatible with electric, gas, ceramic, halogen, and induction cooktops, and it's dishwasher-safe too!

But don't just take our word for it; the Anko saucepan has a whopping 4.8-star rating on the Kmart website, with plenty of satisfied customers singing its praises.

'Good quality pot at an exceptional price,' one reviewer said, while another wrote, 'Great saucepan, perfect diameter and depth. Stylish and not cheap-looking!'

So if you're looking for a saucepan that will make your cooking experience a joy, give this one a try!
Key Takeaways

• Consumer NZ recently tested 13 saucepans, and results showed a budget buy from Kmart, priced at $22, came out on top.
  • The $22 Kmart saucepan earned a total score of 90 out of 100, while Essteele's $270 saucepan came a close second with 86 points.
  • Consideration was given to the balance and weight of each saucepan and how comfortable the handle was, including resistance to heat.
So, if you're a senior on a budget looking for a great quality saucepan, head on over to Kmart and pick up one of these little gems!

And remember, don't let yourself be tempted by brands with a large price tag. Do your research and take a chance on the cheaper option. You might be pleasantly surprised, like with the Kmart saucepan!

Have you ever tried a lower-priced item that performed as well, if not better, than an expensive product? Share your experiences in the comments below!
As I am in need of some new pots I will be looking very closely to all sizes of pots in the range. Thankyou Kmart! I am only on disabilty pension, so this will be helpful so much!

The last set of saucepans I bought was a cheapie set from Spotlight. I've had them now for about 12 years. They certainly don't owe me anything and are still going strong. I've thought about updating them as they no longer look pristine but they still do the job, the non-stick is still intact, who cares about pretty! :)
True blue Ricci thinking. Great.

My saucepans are similar to this. Wiltshire from Big W and Smith & Noble from Harris Scarfe; very reasonably priced, easy to use and wash and last well. Most importantly they are not too heavy, all the expensive ones I looked at I could hardly lift!