Who is in the wrong? Woolworths shopper’s bargain hot roast chicken haul sends users into a heated debate – “This is ridiculous!”

It can be tempting to take home tons of great bargains when you stumble on them while shopping – and as long as you’re paying for it, there shouldn’t be an issue, right? Well, some users beg to differ.

A Woolworths shopper sent hundreds into a heated debate after she shared her massive haul of discounted hot roast chickens.

Posting on a popular Facebook group, the customer detailed how she got her hands on a total of seven BBQ chooks for only $4.40 each, reduced from its usual price of $11 meaning that all in all, she was able to save $46.20!

The woman insisted that she didn’t hoard all of the cheap Woolies chickens as she wanted to leave some behind for the other customers.

vmI-lT6lUK_b0VQSveyZ0kevQmTSDL0BHi9Pmeqixg9uUbY6_L2yXpSNSt0bQIGG12XsI-iCluHhjeyoybn0NwlnDgV80f1BMim9rX0Z2FZHQPn_TInDoMSia8RoIAwxk7G5Y_KpjyHrBPywUg

The customer shared her massive haul. Image Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia

“No, I didn’t buy them all. Yes, I left some for others,” she captioned her post on the Markdown Addicts Australia page.

“Yes, we eat a lot of chicken. No, they won’t go to waste. Seven of these will do us a while.”

In the past, a few markdown shoppers found themselves in hot water for snagging every reduced item on offer as some believed that the act was inconsiderate.

In response to the shopper’s post, one fellow member shared that she faced an unpleasant confrontation over a similar issue at her local Woolies store.

“I nearly got into a chicken fight with a lady over getting two chickens on sale ($3.34 each),” she wrote.

“I bought one for my elderly neighbour who had the flu. She told me that it’s rude to take more than one and that I was now making her kids starve for tea.”

“When I told her to back the f*** up, she demanded the manager take the chicken away from me. He didn’t and she left with me still abusing her. Sometimes, you just never know the circumstances.”

Several users reacted to the post, arguing that people shouldn’t have to defend their shopping choices.

“It makes me sad that you even had to say that. Who cares if you bought them all, 99% of people would have done the same. People only complain because they are jealous,” said one.

Another commented: “The fact that you have to justify that is ridiculous! If you find a good price on something, then buy them all if you so wish! People are turning into ‘snowflakes’ (a term used for people who are easily offended or have an unwarranted sense of entitlement).”

“Every little bit helps these days and yes, ignore the ‘Negative Nancys’ and enjoy your chicken.” added a third.

“My kids saw chickens marked down to $2 last night – and I wasn’t even with them! I taught them well! Lol.” shared one more alongside a picture of her daughters carrying bags of BBQ chicken.

BcMMtUAlykiWOmEa5UV7v5OxFd6_7oHHTjE6hLyIrIs7-SwKMiciZ2ZhmP-YtV0WF9Py3goL4_CCQJgev6qAVtzCmM3oISSxF7gpVeASATaBzPtFHEaknNJx9bpwyW3n_SzPaUoPrl2jGe-GTA

“I taught them well!” Image Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia

Others even hailed the act as ‘smart’ considering how the cost of living nowadays continues to take a turn for the worse.

“When I come across cheap meat, I usually buy the lot. I don’t care what people think,” one person said.

“I’m thinking ahead for my family. If they aren’t sold, they get thrown out, so great score. No need to justify it to anyone as your money is as good as anyone else’s.”

“Cost of living is expensive. I buy every bargain.” another wrote.

One more added: “As a Woolies worker, it makes me happy when people buy these as we all hate waste. Do not ever be bothered by anyone else and if you see them, buy them ALL! There is so much you can do with them! Enjoy!”

Do you think buying all the items on special (even if you plan to use them all) is acceptable or is the act inconsiderate? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Sponsored
People need to mind their own business. Nobody knows what that person is going through. If that person has found a good bargain good on them, go for it. There should be no shame or guilt in buying something so cheap especially when it’s needed most. I’m one of the people who buy as many specials as she can due to insufficient funding. It’s the only way our family can eat.My shopping trolley is always full of specials. I can’t afford to buy full priced items. That’s the only way my animals & us get to eat. If it’s on special then it’s in my trolley

Last edited:
Go for the bargain! So many of us are struggling these days especially if you are on a pension like me. Roast chickens are great to freeze and a whole chicken can make many meals for a family. Even the carcass makes great soup. I always freeze my roast chicken in portions so I don't need to defrost a whole bird just what I require for one meal. Obviously you don't need to do that if you're cooking for a family but there's only two of us and I can get 6 meals out of a chicken. Just don't waste anything. Buying on sale and then throwing it out is definitely selfish and inconsiderate.

I’m always buying reduced food, it helps to stretch your dollar further and in today’s world you have to do what you can to eat well when living on limited funds. I don’t really worry about leaving some for others because the produce may not get sold and then go to waste! The lady buying 2 certainly wasn’t over indulging even if they were both for herself.

Who is in the wrong? Woolworths shopper’s bargain hot roast chicken haul sends users into a heated debate – “This is ridiculous!”

It can be tempting to take home tons of great bargains when you stumble on them while shopping – and as long as you’re paying for it, there shouldn’t be an issue, right? Well, some users beg to differ.

A Woolworths shopper sent hundreds into a heated debate after she shared her massive haul of discounted hot roast chickens.

Posting on a popular Facebook group, the customer detailed how she got her hands on a total of seven BBQ chooks for only $4.40 each, reduced from its usual price of $11 meaning that all in all, she was able to save $46.20!

The woman insisted that she didn’t hoard all of the cheap Woolies chickens as she wanted to leave some behind for the other customers.

vmI-lT6lUK_b0VQSveyZ0kevQmTSDL0BHi9Pmeqixg9uUbY6_L2yXpSNSt0bQIGG12XsI-iCluHhjeyoybn0NwlnDgV80f1BMim9rX0Z2FZHQPn_TInDoMSia8RoIAwxk7G5Y_KpjyHrBPywUg

“No, I didn’t buy them all. Yes, I left some for others,” she captioned her post on the Markdown Addicts Australia page.

“Yes, we eat a lot of chicken. No, they won’t go to waste. Seven of these will do us a while.”

In the past, a few markdown shoppers found themselves in hot water for snagging every reduced item on offer as some believed that the act was inconsiderate.

In response to the shopper’s post, one fellow member shared that she faced an unpleasant confrontation over a similar issue at her local Woolies store.

“I nearly got into a chicken fight with a lady over getting two chickens on sale ($3.34 each),” she wrote.

“I bought one for my elderly neighbour who had the flu. She told me that it’s rude to take more than one and that I was now making her kids starve for tea.”

“When I told her to back the f*** up, she demanded the manager take the chicken away from me. He didn’t and she left with me still abusing her. Sometimes, you just never know the circumstances.”

Several users reacted to the post, arguing that people shouldn’t have to defend their shopping choices.

“It makes me sad that you even had to say that. Who cares if you bought them all, 99% of people would have done the same. People only complain because they are jealous,” said one.

Another commented: “The fact that you have to justify that is ridiculous! If you find a good price on something, then buy them all if you so wish! People are turning into ‘snowflakes’ (a term used for people who are easily offended or have an unwarranted sense of entitlement).”

“Every little bit helps these days and yes, ignore the ‘Negative Nancys’ and enjoy your chicken.” added a third.

“My kids saw chickens marked down to $2 last night – and I wasn’t even with them! I taught them well! Lol.” shared one more alongside a picture of her daughters carrying bags of BBQ chicken.

BcMMtUAlykiWOmEa5UV7v5OxFd6_7oHHTjE6hLyIrIs7-SwKMiciZ2ZhmP-YtV0WF9Py3goL4_CCQJgev6qAVtzCmM3oISSxF7gpVeASATaBzPtFHEaknNJx9bpwyW3n_SzPaUoPrl2jGe-GTA

Others even hailed the act as ‘smart’ considering how the cost of living nowadays continues to take a turn for the worse.

“When I come across cheap meat, I usually buy the lot. I don’t care what people think,” one person said.

“I’m thinking ahead for my family. If they aren’t sold, they get thrown out, so great score. No need to justify it to anyone as your money is as good as anyone else’s.”

One more added: “As a Woolies worker, it makes me happy when people buy these as we all hate waste. Do not ever be bothered by anyone else and if you see them, buy them ALL! There is so much you can do with them! Enjoy!”

Do you think buying all the items on special (even if you plan to use them all) is acceptable or is the act inconsiderate? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!
Yep….there’s certainly a lot of self centred people out there!!!

I live alone and and often buy a couple of cooked chooks when very cheap. I have a recipe for a wonderful chicken and leek pie where I add a few mushrooms and a tin of corn and make several pies that can be frozen and lots of cheap meals especially in winter. If they are for sale it means anyone can purchase as many as they wish provided there is no label etc that dictates a certain amount per customer. I have always been aware if other customers are hovering or looking as though they want one and will not be selfish.

We are always looking for a bargain, Goodluck to them as one person said you don't their circumstances, are they only shopping for themselves or others .If I see a bargain, I will grab for my family, I guess you can say, I'm a hunter and gather, er 😉 🇦🇺👍😅😅