Who’s really responsible? Mishandled AusPost package sparks debate online

When you send a package, you expect it to be handled with care, especially if it's marked as fragile. But for one Australia Post customer, this was far from the case.

Her complaint about a broken package has ignited a fiery debate online, with some blaming the sender for inadequate packaging, while others are appalled by the apparent disregard for the package's fragile status.

The woman took to social media to share her frustration, posting images that showed a soggy Australia Post box marked 'fragile' and the shattered glass item inside.

The contents of the glass item—likely a bottle—had spilled all over the package, creating a wet, messy disaster.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 094711.png
The customer was surprised to see her package mishandled even though it was marked ‘fragile’. Image: Facebook

'Australia Post is losing customers due to the inability of distribution people reading labels and being respectful and careful with parcel handling,' the woman wrote.

'Wrapped, packed and labelled clearly on every side that it was fragile, yet they still managed to break the contents.'

She also expressed her dismay with the postal service's response, which she felt lacked accountability.

'Oops they say: “Not our responsibility.” Not good enough. Where's the quality control? Seriously, you need to take accountability, especially with the costs of your service. Truly disgusted and disappointed with the handling of our parcels.'

However, people from the internet were quick to respond, with some blaming the sender for not packaging the item properly.

'Australia Post do not offer a fragile service,' one person wrote.

'The “quality control” is with the sender.'

Others pointed out that automated sorting machines, not humans, handle most packages.

'You have machine sorting freight automatically, not people handling them as much anymore,' a second commented.

'I doubt the sorter machine can read fragile on it.'

‘Wow, putting glass in a bag and posting, what a great idea…not!’ wrote another.

‘Then you complain because it arrived broken? Really?’

There were also those who criticised Australia Post for their lack of care.

'I'm looking at those images and can only think that a pack of animals handled it,' one wrote.

'Honestly, how does a package even end up in that state? It gets to the point that no amount of care by the sender would have protected the contents.'

In response to the controversy, a spokesperson for Australia Post said that while 'the vast majority of deliveries made by Australia Post arrive safely', it’s clear that 'something has gone wrong in this instance'.

They urged anyone with delivery concerns to contact them via the AusPost app or by calling 13-POST (7678), and reminded customers to ensure they correctly package their goods to be sent.

‘To help ensure items arrive safely, parcels should be packed in appropriate, sturdy packaging that’s suitable for what’s inside,’ the spokesperson added.

This incident is not the first time Australia Post has come under fire for mishandling packages.

Last year, another customer shared images of his delivery ripped open and taped back together, sparking similar debates online.

While it's unfortunate that the woman's package was damaged, this incident serves as a reminder of the importance of proper packaging.

It's also a wake-up call for postal services to improve their handling of packages and to ensure that their automated systems are as gentle as possible.

Key Takeaways
  • An Australia Post customer complained online after a fragile package containing glass was broken during delivery, sparking debate over who is responsible for the damage.
  • Images shared on social media showed the damaged parcel labelled 'fragile' on all sides, with its glass contents shattered.
  • Many social media users argued that Australia Post does not offer a fragile service and that the sender should ensure adequate packaging, while others criticised the postal service for poor handling.
  • Australia Post acknowledged that something went wrong and reiterated that items should be well-packed for delivery, but also stated that most deliveries arrive safely.

What are your thoughts, members? Have you had a similar experience with Australia Post or another postal service? Share your stories in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Petra
Sponsored
I'm afraid that the sender is at fault. If they wanted the contents of the bag to be safe it should have gone into a box not a padded bag. When I send anything I think could break, I wrap the item in bubble wrap and stick wads of paper/ bubble wrap in the box and the fragile item in between the wads of paper/bubble wrap. I also don't choose a box that is the size of the item I am sending. Some people have no common senes

The Australian Post doesn't deliver to my house and its only a couple of K down the road from the post office, they said to me one day when I ask why they didn't deliver a parcel which I didn't have to sign for and it was big enough to fit in my post box That they are just a drop off and pick up service, so what do I pay for, I use my petral to go there and back which they are pay to do, the postage is paid and it should go to the address on the parcel not the post office,

The Australian Post doesn't deliver to my house and its only a couple of K down the road from the post office, they said to me one day when I ask why they didn't deliver a parcel which I didn't have to sign for and it was big enough to fit in my post box That they are just a drop off and pick up service, so what do I pay for, I use my petral to go there and back which they are pay to do, the postage is paid and it should go to the address on the parcel not the post office,
I use my petrel to pick up the mail. Just as good as a stork....

I have moved house many times, many of them international, and watched how thoroughly my belongings were wrapped by the packers. That's what we need to do when sending by mail. I don't recall ever having a breakage. Writing 'fragile' on the package isn't good enough.
I know the P.O. isn't perfect but some people are too quick to blame others for their own inadequacies.

I'm afraid that the sender is at fault. If they wanted the contents of the bag to be safe it should have gone into a box not a padded bag. When I send anything I think could break, I wrap the item in bubble wrap and stick wads of paper/ bubble wrap in the box and the fragile item in between the wads of paper/bubble wrap. I also don't choose a box that is the size of the item I am sending. Some people have no common senes
If you look at the photo the sender did wrap the items in bubble, and it was in a box (looks like an APO box). It became a problem when the box became wet. Only way the sender could do more was to wrap the box in PLASTIC in casee it gets wet. So, in hindsight both Sender & APO are at fault. Sender for not making it WATERPROOF & APO for letting it get wet.

I agree if you are sending breakables you should package it appropriately with plenty of of padding

Reactions: PattiB
Yes, I have had things ruined by Australia Post, a long item (a vintage head gasket) that had been well wrapped in stiff cardboard and labelled fragile had been bent double, ruining the head gasket.
Another instance a 500mm piece of expensive reinforced air hose, almost impossible to damage had been squashed flat and totally destroyed.
Australia Post has made it clear that the letter part of their business is losing money, however the parcel business is booming, unfortunately for many companies the choice is not to use Australia Post for parcels because of the poor performance of the business.
This is sad, we need our postal service to continue, without it many people in more disadvantaged areas will be without what should be a reliable and economical service. It was once called the Royal Mail, it has fallen a long way from then.

petral? it's my name with an added l :LOL:

Australia Post are generally very good, great even but it is up to the sender to ensure things are packaged properly. This is 100% the sender's fault and their whining is annoying. Surely a genuine problem would have been better to highlight.

aus post offers $100 automatic insurance on their service for lost and damaged goods and then make it extremely difficult to get the compo......why is it so.....????

Reactions: siameezer
It’s not one parcel Australia post handling millions of them the person sending the package should have packed properly as everyone knows that the package are sorted by machines and the machines are feed by people only post codes not anything like to read the fragile the people don’t know what they talking , they easily put the blame to the Australia post but there are other courier services just dump the packages anywhere, some times we don’t get any messages from that the package is coming ,

Reactions: PattiB and Jennie
Australia Post are generally very good, great even but it is up to the sender to ensure things are packaged properly. This is 100% the sender's fault and their whining is annoying. Surely a genuine problem would have been better to highlight.
That is absolutely true the sender should pack the package properly

Reactions: PattiB
Yes, I have had things ruined by Australia Post, a long item (a vintage head gasket) that had been well wrapped in stiff cardboard and labelled fragile had been bent double, ruining the head gasket.
Another instance a 500mm piece of expensive reinforced air hose, almost impossible to damage had been squashed flat and totally destroyed.
Australia Post has made it clear that the letter part of their business is losing money, however the parcel business is booming, unfortunately for many companies the choice is not to use Australia Post for parcels because of the poor performance of the business.
This is sad, we need our postal service to continue, without it many people in more disadvantaged areas will be without what should be a reliable and economical service. It was once called the Royal Mail, it has fallen a long way from then.
That's the price we pay for using the internet for communication rather than posting letters to each other. And of course for the corporatisation of what were once efficient public services such as the Royal Mail. Once such services were run by people who knew what they were doing from experience working their way up; now they import highly paid CEOs to work at the behest of a Board of Directors who are equally dumb when it comes to provision of service.

That's a hard call. Aust post does have issues of parcels/mail arriving safely or even at all. However, some sellers do not provide adequate packaging. Sellers should take a leaf out of Amazon's packaging, which in my experience has always been good.

If you look at the photo the sender did wrap the items in bubble, and it was in a box (looks like an APO box). It became a problem when the box became wet. Only way the sender could do more was to wrap the box in PLASTIC in casee it gets wet. So, in hindsight both Sender & APO are at fault. Sender for not making it WATERPROOF & APO for letting it get wet.
It got wet from the contents when it broke.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: PattiB and NotNats
That's the price we pay for using the internet for communication rather than posting letters to each other. And of course for the corporatisation of what were once efficient public services such as the Royal Mail. Once such services were run by people who knew what they were doing from experience working their way up; now they import highly paid CEOs to work at the behest of a Board of Directors who are equally dumb when it comes to provision of service.
Funny you mention the Royal Mail then speak of the importation of CEOs.

AusPost was originally the Postmaster's-General (PMG). Correct me if I'm wrong.