Who’s really responsible? Mishandled AusPost package sparks debate online

When you send a package, you expect it to be handled with care, especially if it's marked as fragile. But for one Australia Post customer, this was far from the case.

Her complaint about a broken package has ignited a fiery debate online, with some blaming the sender for inadequate packaging, while others are appalled by the apparent disregard for the package's fragile status.

The woman took to social media to share her frustration, posting images that showed a soggy Australia Post box marked 'fragile' and the shattered glass item inside.

The contents of the glass item—likely a bottle—had spilled all over the package, creating a wet, messy disaster.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 094711.png
The customer was surprised to see her package mishandled even though it was marked ‘fragile’. Image: Facebook

'Australia Post is losing customers due to the inability of distribution people reading labels and being respectful and careful with parcel handling,' the woman wrote.

'Wrapped, packed and labelled clearly on every side that it was fragile, yet they still managed to break the contents.'

She also expressed her dismay with the postal service's response, which she felt lacked accountability.

'Oops they say: “Not our responsibility.” Not good enough. Where's the quality control? Seriously, you need to take accountability, especially with the costs of your service. Truly disgusted and disappointed with the handling of our parcels.'

However, people from the internet were quick to respond, with some blaming the sender for not packaging the item properly.

'Australia Post do not offer a fragile service,' one person wrote.

'The “quality control” is with the sender.'

Others pointed out that automated sorting machines, not humans, handle most packages.

'You have machine sorting freight automatically, not people handling them as much anymore,' a second commented.

'I doubt the sorter machine can read fragile on it.'

‘Wow, putting glass in a bag and posting, what a great idea…not!’ wrote another.

‘Then you complain because it arrived broken? Really?’

There were also those who criticised Australia Post for their lack of care.

'I'm looking at those images and can only think that a pack of animals handled it,' one wrote.

'Honestly, how does a package even end up in that state? It gets to the point that no amount of care by the sender would have protected the contents.'

In response to the controversy, a spokesperson for Australia Post said that while 'the vast majority of deliveries made by Australia Post arrive safely', it’s clear that 'something has gone wrong in this instance'.

They urged anyone with delivery concerns to contact them via the AusPost app or by calling 13-POST (7678), and reminded customers to ensure they correctly package their goods to be sent.

‘To help ensure items arrive safely, parcels should be packed in appropriate, sturdy packaging that’s suitable for what’s inside,’ the spokesperson added.

This incident is not the first time Australia Post has come under fire for mishandling packages.

Last year, another customer shared images of his delivery ripped open and taped back together, sparking similar debates online.

While it's unfortunate that the woman's package was damaged, this incident serves as a reminder of the importance of proper packaging.

It's also a wake-up call for postal services to improve their handling of packages and to ensure that their automated systems are as gentle as possible.

Key Takeaways
  • An Australia Post customer complained online after a fragile package containing glass was broken during delivery, sparking debate over who is responsible for the damage.
  • Images shared on social media showed the damaged parcel labelled 'fragile' on all sides, with its glass contents shattered.
  • Many social media users argued that Australia Post does not offer a fragile service and that the sender should ensure adequate packaging, while others criticised the postal service for poor handling.
  • Australia Post acknowledged that something went wrong and reiterated that items should be well-packed for delivery, but also stated that most deliveries arrive safely.

What are your thoughts, members? Have you had a similar experience with Australia Post or another postal service? Share your stories in the comments below.

• Angry
Reactions: Petra
Sponsored
I am home all the time and sometimes the drivers just throw the parcels down not put them down. They don’t ring the bell and the parcel can be outside all day as I don’t know it has been delivered. Some parcels arrive damaged and some are upside down or sideways. Even though I am home and the parcel is heavy they do not attempt to ring the bell and put it inside. I have a disability so getting the parcel inside is difficult. There has only been one driver who helps even if he is just driving off and gets out to help me. I gave him a tip. No one else got anything.

had a similar experience with a parcel that was securely packed and landed up broken. [3 cups out of 4 were broken]. Wrapped with bubble wrap and in a thick cardboard box, labelled Fragile. When contacted Aust post gave their usual reply' not properly packed". ended up with a loss for us. Not happy.

Back in the 80s, among my other sins, I ran the mailroom of a Top-200 company, and regularly would have items handed to me for parcel-post or courier dispatch all over Australia and occasionally overseas. My internal customers would occasionally ask "Is that wrapped enough?" or words to that effect...
I would answer "Will it pass the Toddler Test?"; i.e., is it capable of being picked up by a three-year old child, dropped, tripped over, landed on, kicked or spewed on?. If "No" to any of these, repack it! Then I'd show them how.
It never ceased to amaze me how little Common Sense so many of my colleagues possessed/demonstrated, especially close to deadline, in which I'd point to the sign above my door "LACK OF PLANNING ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MINE"

Reactions: Veggiepatch
worlds most expensive postage compared to other countries...still thats australia "she'll be right" just cop it sweet

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I buy 1 litre bottles of coconut oil from Melrose - they put the bottle into a packing sleeve and then use paper/cardboard packing to fill the little box they send it in and I have never had a broken bottle - Melrose are the only ones that have the oil I like and you can't buy it in the supermarkets anymore.

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM
I sent a parcel to my grandson in WA from Victoria. There was a plastic bottle with shower gel in it which I bubble wrapped but it some how got broken and it went through the rest of the stuff. I take full responsibility for I not being wrapped enough,and I accept that accidents happen. But what I was upset about was that they didn’t deliver it. The other two grandkids got theirs but this was just thrown to the side. It was only when I launched an inquiry was I told what the problem was. I asked it be delivered and when it was the other stuff (clothes) were washed and that was that. if I hadn’t have asked it would never have been delivered and my grandson should have lost the rest of his gift

worlds most expensive postage compared to other countries...still thats australia "she'll be right" just cop it sweet
I don't know where you dreamed that "fact" from. Australia doesn't even rate in the world's top 10 list of the most expensive postal service.

Reactions: PattiB and Knell
Just as a side note - I am only 63yrs young and all the years I have being sending & receiving parcels & mail via Australia Post I've only had three lost/damage items, and this has only been in the last 5 yrs. I had two lost parcels from overseas company and both times I was told they had left their overseas port, but never made it to our lovely Australian ports (of so the online tracking stated). Lost at sea, wonder if they had jumped ship. And one local (DL size) lost somewhere between Penrith & Blue Mountains. Plus, any that I have sent have always gotten to where they were supposed to go whether it was here in Aussieland or somewhere over the lovely blue seas. Yes, I might be just one of the lucky ones with Australia Post. But I have had several problems with private delivery companies (costs, delivery times & conditions of large items I have sent or received). So, I always use Australia Post whenever I can.

The Australian Post doesn't deliver to my house and its only a couple of K down the road from the post office, they said to me one day when I ask why they didn't deliver a parcel which I didn't have to sign for and it was big enough to fit in my post box That they are just a drop off and pick up service, so what do I pay for, I use my petral to go there and back which they are pay to do, the postage is paid and it should go to the address on the parcel not the post office,
They’re being very petty about it…..When you put a stamp on anything, package, letter (does anyone still send letters and cards) you are paying the post office to deliver the item to the recipient……If you buy anything online and have the option to pay postage, then it’s still paying the post office to deliver the item to you……they are shirking their responsibilities if they fail to do so……

I recently sent 7 boxes of new clothing overseas via a very big international company from Ensay Victoria.
I helped load all seven boxes into the local courier’s van.
Then at the area distribution centre in Bairnsdale where packages are grouped together fir the connection courier network one box went missing as it seems they don’t log the details at that distribution centre.
That box contained a few thousand dollars of clothes which were being sent to help kids dress to get a job snd their first year of work.
it has cost me almost the contents in time, phone calls and emails to get no where.
I have had to learn the system of transport from here and where the leakage was most likely.
No one will own up, but as the clothing is very distinctive, I will track them and deal with them.

Oh by the way, the AUstralia Post quote, used the same courier system and was over 15 times the cost.
The last time I sent via Australia Post was a very dainty old (90 - 100 years old) handbag and a few trinkets to a friend. It never got there - cost to send was very expensive and package was in a small Aus Pist supplied box was something like $50.

My usual complaint is about delivery not arriving in good time……By that I mean tracking my deliveries……..I live in a suburb in Perth and I’ve tracked items to various other suburbs including those in different states before being delivered to me….. for items ‘lost’ I’ve claimed reimbursement from Australia Post………For items that arrive broken I’ve either managed to get a refund or replacement……….Just before Xmas I bought a set of oven dishes from Bunnings Warehouse in Perth….The fourth delivery was the first one that arrived intact….it was definitely the packaging and they got it right the fourth time….:LOL:

One complaint and the article even mentions one more last year, WOW !!! I realize there are probably many more than just the two but considering the millions of parcels handled each year by AP I think the ratio 'just ain't too bad'. I receive quite a few parcels from online shopping and find delivery is about 50/50 AP and private delivery companies and have never (well not yet) had any problems like this with either method AND I find the delivery drivers in both instances to be polite, courteous and helpful.

Reactions: PattiB and MariaG
When I send parcels, I go to the local PO and ask for guidance regarding type of packaging necessary. They have even gone the second step and packed things for me to make sure they were secure.
I still use snail mail and value the presence of a Post Office so close to my home.
As far as parcels received go, I have only had one damaged item received. It was indeed inadequate packaging. I was given another item to replace it without any problems. Just had to supply a photo.
Our expectations have had to be modified over the last few years. Firstly, the old chestnut Covid was offered as an excuse. Then, downturn in people mailing letters. Now, not making enough money. I have my own opinions on that considering what the CEO earns.
I do agree that less people are mailing letters because of the digital preferences, however, that may have to change in the future given the nasty scroungers that are out there playing havoc on the www.
Regarding the subject of this thread, I have no real sympathy for the whinger. When I send something fragile, my first port of call is the post office who know exactly what would be needed. I think there may have been a cost cutting exercise when that package was filled. Horses for courses.