Which of these popular Christmas chocolate boxes is the best value for money?

There are only a few days left until Christmas, which can only mean one thing: our cupboards will soon be stocked with boxes and boxes of delicious chocolate treats - either as gifts or as delicacies you bought for yourself!

This is the time of year when all of our sweet tooth cravings can be indulged without a drop of guilt. We dig our hands into baskets of chocolates, stock up on boxes and tins of treats, and nibble away our way towards toothaches and sugar rushes. (Just kidding – moderation as always, folks!)

The only problem is, when you buy those big boxed selections of chocolates, you never really know what you're getting. Different boxes of chocolates may weigh the same, but when you unpack them, the contents could vary drastically.

To help you make smarter, more informed decisions on your next chocolate box purchase, 9Honey Kitchen has put some of Australia's favourite alternatives to the test, including Lindt, Favourites, Celebrations and Roses.

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 2.10.12 PM.png
9Honey Kitchen put together some of Australia's most popular chocolate boxes to see which one gives you the best value for your money. Credit: BIG W, Cadbury.

Coming in first place with the highest weight and number of chocolates was Cadbury's Christmas Mix. The box weighed 522g which is impressive, but sadly, it only had six types of chocolates (minimal variety).

In second place was Cadbury's Roses, weighing in at 450g with 43 chocolates and ten varieties. The Celebrations box was the lightest and came in third, at just 320g, but it offered seven different types of chocolates.

In fourth place was the Lindt Lindor Milk Chocolate Gift Box, at 333g and 27 chocolates. As it was a single type of chocolate, the team at 9Honey didn't judge it based on variety and ratio and instead just looked at the weight to make their judgement.

Last but definitely not least came Cadbury's Dairy Milk Favourites. The box weighed 334g but only had 23 chocolates. Aside from that, the team found the flavour ratio to be disappointing as well; they could only find five types of chocolates, as opposed to the Cadbury Christmas Mix, which had six.
Key Takeaways

• 9Honey Kitchen gathered some of Australia's most beloved chocolate boxes—Lindt, Favourites, Celebrations, and Roses—to discover which one offers the best value for your dollar.
  • The Cadbury Christmas Mix had the most chocolates of all the boxes tested, with 46 chocolates in the 522g box. Cadbury Roses had the best variety of chocolates and an even ratio between the flavours.
  • Celebrations was the cheapest box and also the lightest at 320g with 35 chocolates and seven different flavours. The Lindt Lindor-wrapped chocolate box had 27 chocolates in it, weighing 333g.
  • The Cadbury Dairy Milk Favourites had the least number of chocolates, with just 23 chocolates in the 334g box.

Members, next time you pick up a Christmas chocolate box, take note of what's inside! Be sure to compare the weights and the number – as well as the variety – of chocolates included.

Who wouldn't want to get the best value for their money (as well as the most delicious chocolates!) this holiday season, right? Happy shopping!

And while we're at it, do you have other chocolate box recommendations aside from the ones mentioned here in this list? Share them in the comments!

Sponsored
I won a box of Dairy Milk Favourites in a raffle last week. Hubby and I have just looked at the variety, and we remembered eight different chocolates. We still have more than half left and there are six different chocolates in those.

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
I was once a dedicated Cadbury consumer untill the flavour changed, now I'm dedicated to Lindor chocolate balls, most of the time one of the supermarkets in town have them for half price.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
Quality Street is my favourite too . I usually buy a tin for the family to enjoy At Christmas .

When I worked, we used to be given many boxes of chocolates.
I used to be very selective in my choices....
Quality Street were my go-to brand, and back then, I knew the coloured wrappers of the chocolates I enjoyed most.
Orange creams, followed by strawberry creams, followed by peppermint creams were the only ones I'd have.
Ah....long, long ago ....!!!

Reactions: Yvonne Margaretha