Where to get the best deals on your Christmas groceries this year: Coles, Woolworths or ALDI?

Christmas is a time for giving, spending time with those we love, and of course – eating! Lots and lots of delicious and (mostly) healthy food.

But as any savvy shopper knows, all that festive feasting comes at a cost. We can all see that the cost of groceries has increased, making Christmas even more expensive.

If you’re feeling the pinch this holiday season but still want to enjoy all your favourite Christmas foods without breaking the bank, then you’ll need to know where to shop. But where can you get the best deals on your holiday food? Is it from Coles, Woolworths, or ALDI?

Frugl, a grocery price comparison app, revealed which store offers the most affordable prices for customers.

In a recent report, Frugl compiled a list of the cost of Christmas must-haves at major Aussie supermarket chains – from staples such as ham, turkey, and the trimmings, to snacks like cheese and crackers, and desserts such as pavlova and mince pies.

And according to the numbers, Coles beat out ALDI and Woolies as the cheapest place to do your Christmas shopping this year.

1frugl.jpg
Frugl deemed Coles as the cheapest place to shop for groceries this Christmas. Credit: Sora Shimazaki/Pexels

Coles shoppers will spend an average of $143.75 on their standard Christmas shopping list – making it the cheapest place to shop by a small margin. This is followed by Woolworths at $147.56, with ALDI coming in as the most expensive place to do your festive food shopping at $149.03.

One possible reason for ALDI's slightly higher prices could be that they source many of their products from overseas rather than locally.

Sean Smith, Frugl’s Managing Director, said in a statement: ‘Shoppers should carefully watch where the retailers are sourcing their products from, as we have found that Coles and Woolworths are far more likely to stock a greater range of Australian grown and produced products than ALDI.’

The analysis also showed that while some items were hit by inflation, staple goods such as the leg ham still held the same price as last year – due to supermarkets becoming more price competitive.

coles.jpg
Where do you like to shop? Credit: Coles

To better explain, Mr Smith gave an example: ‘Australian smoked half leg hams still had the same price as last year in Coles and Woolworths (at $8.50 per kg). ALDI also holds the same price. Complement this with a side of frozen cut beans, which are $2.20 across the board.’

Mr Smith also shared that the ‘iconic’ pavlova at Coles and Woolies remained price steady (at $5.40 each), and the toppings, such as fresh raspberries, were found to be slightly cheaper at Coles and ALDI (at $4 each).

He also said shoppers looking to get the best deals should start their preparations early to take advantage of the rolling discounts.

‘Don’t leave it until the last minute, there are a lot of items going on promotion and they will change every week.’

Key Takeaways

• Coles is the cheapest place to shop for Christmas groceries this year, with a basket of essentials costing $143.75, according to the grocery price comparison app, Frugl.
  • Woolworths is the second cheapest place to shop, with a basket of essentials costing $147.56.
  • ALDI comes in third, with a basket of essentials costing $149.03.
What are your thoughts? Do you agree that Coles has the best prices? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Christmas is a time for giving, spending time with those we love, and of course – eating! Lots and lots of delicious and (mostly) healthy food.

But as any savvy shopper knows, all that festive feasting comes at a cost. We can all see that the cost of groceries has increased, making Christmas even more expensive.

If you’re feeling the pinch this holiday season but still want to enjoy all your favourite Christmas foods without breaking the bank, then you’ll need to know where to shop. But where can you get the best deals on your holiday food? Is it from Coles, Woolworths, or ALDI?

Frugl, a grocery price comparison app, revealed which store offers the most affordable prices for customers.

In a recent report, Frugl compiled a list of the cost of Christmas must-haves at major Aussie supermarket chains – from staples such as ham, turkey, and the trimmings, to snacks like cheese and crackers, and desserts such as pavlova and mince pies.

And according to the numbers, Coles beat out ALDI and Woolies as the cheapest place to do your Christmas shopping this year.

View attachment 10182
Frugl deemed Coles as the cheapest place to shop for groceries this Christmas. Credit: Sora Shimazaki/Pexels

Coles shoppers will spend an average of $143.75 on their standard Christmas shopping list – making it the cheapest place to shop by a small margin. This is followed by Woolworths at $147.56, with ALDI coming in as the most expensive place to do your festive food shopping at $149.03.

One possible reason for ALDI's slightly higher prices could be that they source many of their products from overseas rather than locally.

Sean Smith, Frugl’s Managing Director, said in a statement: ‘Shoppers should carefully watch where the retailers are sourcing their products from, as we have found that Coles and Woolworths are far more likely to stock a greater range of Australian grown and produced products than ALDI.’

The analysis also showed that while some items were hit by inflation, staple goods such as the leg ham still held the same price as last year – due to supermarkets becoming more price competitive.

View attachment 10183

To better explain, Mr Smith gave an example: ‘Australian smoked half leg hams still had the same price as last year in Coles and Woolworths (at $8.50 per kg). ALDI also holds the same price. Complement this with a side of frozen cut beans, which are $2.20 across the board.’

Mr Smith also shared that the ‘iconic’ pavlova at Coles and Woolies remained price steady (at $5.40 each), and the toppings, such as fresh raspberries, were found to be slightly cheaper at Coles and ALDI (at $4 each).

He also said shoppers looking to get the best deals should start their preparations early to take advantage of the rolling discounts.

‘Don’t leave it until the last minute, there are a lot of items going on promotion and they will change every week.’

Key Takeaways

• Coles is the cheapest place to shop for Christmas groceries this year, with a basket of essentials costing $143.75, according to the grocery price comparison app, Frugl.
  • Woolworths is the second cheapest place to shop, with a basket of essentials costing $147.56.
What are your thoughts? Do you agree that Coles has the best prices? Let us know in the comments!
NOPE

View attachment 10182

View attachment 10183

Key Takeaways

My last grocery bill was $90 more then previous one I shop every two weeks, I am finding it harder
to get most foods I can eat , being a diabetic,getting so hard for everyone

Actually there is misconception in that article. Yes, Aldi do have a lot of overseas groceries, but it is also well known that their fruit and veggies are Aussie-grown and their meat is sourced from local farmers. They actually have more local products overall than the other two majors.

Cole's and Woolies know which items are selected for comparison for CPI each quarter, for the ABS to fill a shopping basket.
I suggest they also know which 'Christmas' items will be compared, and price accordingly to skew results.

Being on a pension, I look at the prices before I enter Woolies, Aldi, or Coles. For the last couple of months, I have been telling Aldi staff (and Management) that they were becoming as expensive as Woolworths to shop in and a lot of customers, who have overheard what I was saying, have agreed with my statement.
Whatever happened to these being "discount" outlets?
The only message that the customer is getting, is that GREED is alive and well within the supermarket chains and that "customer Service" no longer matters.

What a load of crap. Traditional Australian Christmas foods are not german foods. So why does Aldi want to import them from overseas when you can't even buy them there.

Maybe because we are a multi-cultural country and people want these items. Not everyone is insular and lots of people want to experience tastes from around the world.
I don't get this one. Why should Aldi import australian food from Germany, when they don't even have that. First choice christmas dinner in Germany is Venison.

Reactions: Ricci
I don't get this one. Why should Aldi import australian food from Germany, when they don't even have that. First choice christmas dinner in Germany is Venison.
They are NOT importing Australian food from overseas ... they are importing foods not normally sold here so that those of us who enjoy widening our experiences can do so. They still stock more local produce than the other two majors as well as offering us the chance to try things we wouldn't normally have access to.

It really depends on what you are buying. I find that the local fruit and veg shop has better quality and cheaper prices than any of the supermarkets. As for groceries, it depends on what you are after.

That comparison doesn't sound right when one considers that time after time, Alid has come out as having the lowest prices!

don't shop at aldi. Did it once but they threw the food on to the belt and you had to pack yourself. Did not find it much cheaper and did not have the products I wanted.
Fully agree, Margaretritchie, I hate shopping at Aldi because of their checkout process. Plus, I don’t think they’re any cheaper if you buy supermarkets’ own brands. And I can never get everything I want at Aldi so I have to finish my shopping elsewhere anyway.

Actually there is misconception in that article. Yes, Aldi do have a lot of overseas groceries, but it is also well known that their fruit and veggies are Aussie-grown and their meat is sourced from local farmers. They actually have more local products overall than the other two majors.
shame I don't have one anywhere near me!

Reactions: siameezer
Our local Qld suburban Aldi's have got customer based checkouts and only one Aldi staff checkout fully functional from first week of December.
It's new system is working better and very popular here in post code 4207. The long checkout queues are gone.
They appear to be still in the process of converting all stores.
With more staff being freed up the store isn't having shelf stock issues so it's a big tick from me.

Being on a pension, I look at the prices before I enter Woolies, Aldi, or Coles. For the last couple of months, I have been telling Aldi staff (and Management) that they were becoming as expensive as Woolworths to shop in and a lot of customers, who have overheard what I was saying, have agreed with my statement.
Whatever happened to these being "discount" outlets?
The only message that the customer is getting, is that GREED is alive and well within the supermarket chains and that "customer Service" no longer matters.
As an older customer of Aldi, I have found the staff extremely helpful with things like loading onto the belt. As I usually have a helper to assist me sometimes he has problems getting there on time to help me unload. So the cashier helped me (as I am very slow) until my helper gets there. So although I find it dearer than it used to be the customer service is as good as ever!

You need to shop around. Coles in my area is so expensive 2745. Only pick up the specials. I do mostly ALDI but I do pop into Woolies for their specials. ALDI fruit and veges IM SURE MYST VE SECOND QUALITY ..they look so bad ..I prefer idd bunch from Woolies or the Greengrocer. Everything is creeping up at ALDI and not by 10c either more like a dollar E g. Olive oil..their red near us shocking...can't eat it. I gave to buy their port forget the beef 😑

My previous post sorry guys hard with this phone refers to Aldi's beef...even after marinating it for most of the day I can't eat it .it's so tuff and leaves taste in your mouth....only cut that's ok us porterhouse steak $7 for one steak ..must be sourcing somewhere else. Unfortunately we must shop around these days 😔

I am not the shopper in my home so can't give an opinion but l know all our groceries come from Woolworths.