Where do we draw the line? Mum left devastated after seven-year-olds shame his son’s lunch box meal

Being a good parent can be really tricky! Finding a good balance between spoiling your little ones and giving them whatever they want and disciplining them with what they really need is super important— but so is remembering that absolutely no parent has it completely figured out.

A mum of three, Mandy, has taken to Facebook after her son’s lunchbox was shamed by his seven-year-old classmates for being ‘too fatty’. Feeling deeply upset and worried that she might be incorrectly packing her son’s meals, Mandy sought advice from fellow parents online.

“I'm worried now. He was lunchbox shamed by a seven-year-old.' The mum captioned her post alongside pictures of her son’s usual meals.

7kbSueBmlGbXvE1g7CiZcQao3IZzzdv-u2QB4r0lHzoQhQKMZmNG2I8iU6Kn5kNNMHeIcN5JJZ0OnDFRaQth58DtXT0dIsOJxCoPjuoAenv_j25lLE1y8Eb6XoIbTummY5lK9vLL
OC1uOn2bbZEw8ARJVgByJHv4q8ffi8otATwgeRDfm2qd0cW2mJpcLMofMwfAdHWsUxTDwz8G1WurJ49tWQRV-6JsWgRoccqVbJJ_NqjkVmznVq4PHUrPkwZIfeyfrLwSfwFsYyZP

Mandy includes a variety of sweet and savoury snacks for her son daily. Image Credit: dailymail.co.uk

She prepared two lunchboxes for her son to take to school which contained an abundant range of sweet and savoury snacks: lollies, mini Oreos, fruit, and cucumber sticks.

Several mums sided with the seven-year-old boy and said that the meals were indeed quite unhealthy.

“Too much sugar in my opinion. Remember sugar makes it harder for kids to concentrate in class.” one parent commented.

“If you want my honest opinion, I think the sweets and the snacks are a bit too much.” another wrote.

“Probably a few too many sweets and snacks. More protein to keep them full for longer. Maybe a yoghurt if they would eat that.” A third suggested.

On the flip side, a number of users thought there was nothing wrong with the food that Mandy packs for her son.

“Not at all. You need to put in what they will eat. I think it's fine.” one mum said.

“These seven-year-olds better have a degree in nutrition if you're considering their advice. Kids will eat what they eat and mums know their own kids best.” another argued.

Seems quite divided eh? What are your thoughts?

Liked this story and want to read about more lunchbox fiascos? We’ve got you covered. Click here!

Sponsored
Where do we draw the line? Mum left devastated after seven-year-olds shame his son’s lunch box meal

Being a good parent can be really tricky! Finding a good balance between spoiling your little ones and giving them whatever they want and disciplining them with what they really need is super important— but so is remembering that absolutely no parent has it completely figured out.

A mum of three, Mandy, has taken to Facebook after her son’s lunchbox was shamed by his seven-year-old classmates for being ‘too fatty’. Feeling deeply upset and worried that she might be incorrectly packing her son’s meals, Mandy sought advice from fellow parents online.

“I'm worried now. He was lunchbox shamed by a seven-year-old.' The mum captioned her post alongside pictures of her son’s usual meals.

7kbSueBmlGbXvE1g7CiZcQao3IZzzdv-u2QB4r0lHzoQhQKMZmNG2I8iU6Kn5kNNMHeIcN5JJZ0OnDFRaQth58DtXT0dIsOJxCoPjuoAenv_j25lLE1y8Eb6XoIbTummY5lK9vLL
OC1uOn2bbZEw8ARJVgByJHv4q8ffi8otATwgeRDfm2qd0cW2mJpcLMofMwfAdHWsUxTDwz8G1WurJ49tWQRV-6JsWgRoccqVbJJ_NqjkVmznVq4PHUrPkwZIfeyfrLwSfwFsYyZP

Mandy includes a variety of sweet and savoury snacks for her son daily. Image Credit: dailymail.co.uk

She prepared two lunchboxes for her son to take to school which contained an abundant range of sweet and savoury snacks: lollies, mini Oreos, fruit, and cucumber sticks.

Several mums sided with the seven-year-old boy and said that the meals were indeed quite unhealthy.

“Too much sugar in my opinion. Remember sugar makes it harder for kids to concentrate in class.” one parent commented.

“If you want my honest opinion, I think the sweets and the snacks are a bit too much.” another wrote.

“Probably a few too many sweets and snacks. More protein to keep them full for longer. Maybe a yoghurt if they would eat that.” A third suggested.

On the flip side, a number of users thought there was nothing wrong with the food that Mandy packs for her son.

“Not at all. You need to put in what they will eat. I think it's fine.” one mum said.

“These seven-year-olds better have a degree in nutrition if you're considering their advice. Kids will eat what they eat and mums know their own kids best.” another argued.

Liked this story and want to read about more lunchbox fiascos? We’ve got you covered.
Click here!
Why not provide another sandwich.of different filling like Peanut Butter w Sliced Capsicum to cover protein and sweetness. I agree that you put too many "sweeties" in the box only bcz he will hv a sugar-crash mid afternoon and that can affect his learning.
Use a peeled mandarin to provide sugar at school and keep the other sweeties for home. A 7 yr old does not warrant that much sugary food at school. If you feel you must, put in ONE sweetie only. His lunchbox will be faster to fill.

Liked this story and want to read about more lunchbox fiascos? We’ve got you covered.
Click here!

seven year olds calling someone out for what they have to eat is a bit much. Your child has a great choice of food and it looks alright to me. You look after your child and let others look after their own. People need to step down off their soapbox.

Any food that the child will actually eat and not put straight in the bin seems good to me. Of much more importance is that they have a good breakfast and a substantial dinner. So long as the childs food intake over the day is well rounded and full of variety I see no problems in what order they eat it.

From a young age, children can be taught to mind their own business.....say, from when they start Playgroup or Kindergarten.
They can be taught to be tolerant of other people's differences, and to let people be themselves.
They can be taught to not comment on or draw attention to other's appearance, clothing, food, skin colour etc.
They can be taught it is safe to talk at home, with family if they are curious and require an explanation.
They can be taught about the nature of bullying.

Click here!
Why can't people mind their own business?

7 year olds should be seen and not heard like in old days lol. Pack what your kits like and tell others to but out

Reactions: Ricci
This 7 year old is some nutritionist! I think it's fine. After doing lunches for four kids over many years I'd rather send some things my kids really liked along with what was good for them than send a wholly A1 lunch that the kids bring home not eaten.

Reactions: Ricci