What's wrong with Vegemite on toast? Outraged parent exposes daycare centre ban!

Today, we narrate an episode that confused many parents in one city: A daycare centre removing Vegemite on toast from its morning menu.

'What's wrong with Vegemite on toast?', you might be asking.

After all, the humble Vegemite is the quintessential Aussie breakfast spread. Many of us grew up on the strong piquant scent of this dark, thick paste smeared on our crisp toast.

Vegemite has since then imprinted itself as a true-blue Aussie icon, making its mark on our collective cultural identity.

compressed-vegemite2.jpeg
Vegemite is a quintessential Australian food deeply ingrained in the nation's culinary culture. Image by jaywennington from Unsplash

So, when Great Beginnings, a daycare centre in Marsden Park, northwest of Sydney, swapped the classic Vegemite on toast for cereals, it whipped up quite a storm.

Parents were baffled when Rice Bubbles or Cornflakes substituted the quintessential Australian staple, eventually grabbing the attention of Mr Ryan Park, the NSW Health Minister.

Responding to the fiasco, Mr Park clarified that there was no official government directive on banning Vegemite on toast and that these decisions were principally about complying with NSW Health’s Munch & Move program's carbohydrate requirements.

He said, ‘Sometimes around these guidelines, there are some recommendations around reducing salt. Local centres might do that. We’re not in the game of banning Vegemite on toast, I can assure you. ’

The daycare centre clarified its decision was steered towards ensuring children's daily carbohydrate intake did not exceed a healthy diet limit. If any child disliked cereal, a fruit salad was available.

The Health Minister also assured parents that familiar bread slices would not vanish anytime soon.

He clarified, 'Vegemite is not going anywhere. Toast is not going anywhere. We don't want people to feel bad because their kids are having Vegemite... my kids love it.'

Speaking on behalf of Great Beginnings, a G8 Education spokeswoman said the 'routine' menu alteration was aimed at encouraging kids to 'enjoy a variety of foods'.

compressed-vegemite.jpeg
Its distinct savoury and salty flavour, spread on toast or used in various recipes, has made it a beloved staple in Australian households for generations. Image from Flickr

As part of the recent menu update at Great Beginnings Marsden Park, the centre offers a variety of cereals and fruits for children to choose from during breakfast.

Toast is also available if desired, and it is served as part of the morning tea menu in the current rotation. Raisin toast is an option for morning tea, and lunch typically includes bread, rice, or pasta.

She stated, ‘We are committed to providing the children in our care with a healthy, balanced diet that helps them thrive.’

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney daycare centre, Great Beginnings, stopped serving Vegemite on toast to children for breakfast in order to comply with NSW Health's Munch & Move program.
  • The parent was informed that the removal of toast was to ensure the children's daily intake of carbohydrates does not exceed the daily limit set to maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
  • NSW Health Minister Ryan Park confirmed there was no official direction to ban toast or Vegemite from daycare centres, rather, centres could adjust their menus in line with recommendations from NSW Health’s Munch & Move program.
  • Commenting on behalf of Great Beginnings, a spokeswoman stated children could still have toast at other meal times and that the centre is committed to providing their children with a healthy, balanced diet.

In 2017, NSW school canteens received guidance to use Vegemite in ‘small amounts’ or ‘lightly spread’.

This directive led to a question directed at the then-education minister, Rob Stokes, during question time.

Mr Stokes reassured that Vegemite would continue to be served in school canteens.

He said, ‘While I am education minister, Vegemite sandwiches will continue to be on offer in New South Wales school canteens. The Government is a pro-Vegemite government.’

So, despite the Vegemite fuss and relentless health debates, it seems the beloved spread won’t really be going away.

Members, let us know what your opinions are on this story. Do you believe it's necessary to restrict children's carbohydrate intake, or do you think it's an overreaction?

Sponsored
There is less salt Vegemite available. First thing my Grandkids ask for is Vegemite on Toast. It is an Australian staple. I cant see how the small amount on a piece of toast could be called unhealthy. Like I said buy the less salt version. Cereal would have as much salt if not more.

Last edited:
My two older grandchildren wouldn't have survived in this centre. One would only eat honey or Vegemite on toast for breakfast, refused to eat any cereals, and the other would only eat cocoa pops and they both hated fruit with a passion.

Today, we narrate an episode that confused many parents in one city: A daycare centre removing Vegemite on toast from its morning menu.

After all, the humble Vegemite is the quintessential Aussie breakfast spread. Many of us grew up on the strong piquant scent of this dark, thick paste smeared on our crisp toast.

Vegemite has since then imprinted itself as a true-blue Aussie icon, making its mark on our collective cultural identity.

View attachment 25439
Vegemite is a quintessential Australian food deeply ingrained in the nation's culinary culture. Image by jaywennington from Unsplash

So, when Great Beginnings, a daycare centre in Marsden Park, northwest of Sydney, swapped the classic Vegemite on toast for cereals, it whipped up quite a storm.

Parents were baffled when Rice Bubbles or Cornflakes substituted the quintessential Australian staple, eventually grabbing the attention of Mr Ryan Park, the NSW Health Minister.

Responding to the fiasco, Mr Park clarified that there was no official government directive on banning Vegemite on toast and that these decisions were principally about complying with NSW Health’s Munch & Move program's carbohydrate requirements.

He said, ‘Sometimes around these guidelines, there are some recommendations around reducing salt. Local centres might do that. We’re not in the game of banning Vegemite on toast, I can assure you. ’

The daycare centre clarified its decision was steered towards ensuring children's daily carbohydrate intake did not exceed a healthy diet limit. If any child disliked cereal, a fruit salad was available.

The Health Minister also assured parents that familiar bread slices would not vanish anytime soon.

He clarified, 'Vegemite is not going anywhere. Toast is not going anywhere. We don't want people to feel bad because their kids are having Vegemite... my kids love it.'

Speaking on behalf of Great Beginnings, a G8 Education spokeswoman said the 'routine' menu alteration was aimed at encouraging kids to 'enjoy a variety of foods'.

View attachment 25440
Its distinct savoury and salty flavour, spread on toast or used in various recipes, has made it a beloved staple in Australian households for generations. Image from Flickr

As part of the recent menu update at Great Beginnings Marsden Park, the centre offers a variety of cereals and fruits for children to choose from during breakfast.

Toast is also available if desired, and it is served as part of the morning tea menu in the current rotation. Raisin toast is an option for morning tea, and lunch typically includes bread, rice, or pasta.

She stated, ‘We are committed to providing the children in our care with a healthy, balanced diet that helps them thrive.’

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney daycare centre, Great Beginnings, stopped serving Vegemite on toast to children for breakfast in order to comply with NSW Health's Munch & Move program.
  • The parent was informed that the removal of toast was to ensure the children's daily intake of carbohydrates does not exceed the daily limit set to maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
  • NSW Health Minister Ryan Park confirmed there was no official direction to ban toast or Vegemite from daycare centres, rather, centres could adjust their menus in line with recommendations from NSW Health’s Munch & Move program.
  • Commenting on behalf of Great Beginnings, a spokeswoman stated children could still have toast at other meal times and that the centre is committed to providing their children with a healthy, balanced diet.

In 2017, NSW school canteens received guidance to use Vegemite in ‘small amounts’ or ‘lightly spread’.

This directive led to a question directed at the then-education minister, Rob Stokes, during question time.

Mr Stokes reassured that Vegemite would continue to be served in school canteens.

He said, ‘While I am education minister, Vegemite sandwiches will continue to be on offer in New South Wales school canteens. The Government is a pro-Vegemite government.’

So, despite the Vegemite fuss and relentless health debates, it seems the beloved spread won’t really be going away.

Members, let us know what your opinions are on this story. Do you believe it's necessary to restrict children's carbohydrate intake, or do you think it's an overreaction?
I am so glad I didn't have to go through all that when my kids went to school.

View attachment 25439

View attachment 25440

Key Takeaways

Rice Bubbles and Corn Flakes have about the same nutritional value as the cardboard boxes they come in. Toast with butter and vegemite contains carbs, fat and flavour without just the useless carbs in cereal.

View attachment 25439

View attachment 25440

Key Takeaways

Vegemite gets the arse and ricebubbles and cornflakes take it's place have a look at the salt and sugar in both of the cereals cut the crap next it will be peanut and jelly sandwiches the Yanks can't work out that jelly is actually jam and jelly is totally different 🤬

Vegemite gets the arse and ricebubbles and cornflakes take it's place have a look at the salt and sugar in both of the cereals cut the crap next it will be peanut and jelly sandwiches the Yanks can't work out that jelly is actually jam and jelly is totally different 🤬
Yes, I agree rice bubbles or cornflakes aren't the best, however peanut butter isn't allowed in Day Cares these days, due to peanut allergies. Young kids share plates that's why it's an issue at that age. Funnily enough Americans have 2 types of jams. Jelly is jam without any fruit lumps, and they do call Jam like we have with fruit lumps.

I found out through trial and error that I am allergic to Vegemite. I wonder how the schools would react to
a child having an anaphylactic attack at school. It is very, very scary! I am also allergic to Peanut Butter.
We did not know at the time about my allergy to either of them. Willy.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricki and Penny4
Rice Bubbles and Corn Flakes have about the same nutritional value as the cardboard boxes they come in. Toast with butter and vegemite contains carbs, fat and flavour without just the useless carbs in cereal.
I eat vegemite every day in casseroles on toast salad sandwiches I love it I even dig my finger in and scoop out a blob! I have for donkeys years! About to make chocolate cookies and even vegemite goes in the mix! Am I obsessed absolutely! Do I need a shrink🙀absolutely!😂hahaha.yummo

I would like to comment openly and honestly but it would be politically incorrect so I will take my Vegemite on toast and eat it in the corner!!!
Good on you Countryjohn so now it’s time to leave the corner.

I think the cereals mentioned have more sugar than necessary and not much else. Too much Vegemite, too often, is heaping the salt into kids’ diets. A Vegemite toast sparingly spread is no big deal and other sensible & nutritiously offered foods during the day will compensate. Parents should also do their part at dinner time.

My 3 children are now 48, 52 & 55 so I don’t have to worry & my grandchildren (16, 18 & 21) had good food provided for them when we looked after them as toddlers while their mother went back to work.

View attachment 25439

View attachment 25440

Key Takeaways

Utterly ridiculous as it cites “healthy” cereals and perhaps weight issues? Plus the salt factor.
The carbs and SUGAR in cereals is appalling!
The vitamin B in Vegemite would be severely lacking in many kids diet as they eat refined breads, pasta, flour products etc.

Some backsheesh under the table HMMM?

View attachment 25439

View attachment 25440

Key Takeaways

Rather be americanised than pommie-ised. The onlt Brit show i can stand is Mrs Brown's Boys. The rest is SH%T. PURE SH%T!!! most Aussie shows are boring or set back over a hundred years ago and boring. There's too much Pom, Aussie & Kiwi shows on tv.

As for Vegemite - that sh%t is disgusting and i'm an aussie. The only thing it is good for is too make a cat have a hairball! (works better than the hairball inducing vet treatments too).

Rather be americanised than pommie-ised. The onlt Brit show i can stand is Mrs Brown's Boys. The rest is SH%T. PURE SH%T!!! most Aussie shows are boring or set back over a hundred years ago and boring. There's too much Pom, Aussie & Kiwi shows on tv.

As for Vegemite - that sh%t is disgusting and i'm an aussie. The only thing it is good for is too make a cat have a hairball! (works better than the hairball inducing vet treatments too).
Who are you?

Blame the parents for not giving their children breakfast in the first place, the HOME. Schools, kindergarten etc are for educating. Lunch provided in schools should be monitored yes, but breakfast!

Reactions: Defiant540

My cat likes vegemite on toast😻

Reactions: Ricki

As for Vegemite - that sh%t is disgusting and i'm an aussie. The only thing it is good for is to make a cat have a hairball! (works better than the hairball inducing vet treatments too).
Most of the tv shows worth watching are the British ones! With the possibLe exception of Mrs. Brown’s Boys, which is appalling! 🤣🤣 Although this is not the thread to be bringing it up. It’s a thread about breakfast foods.

Most of the tv shows worth watching are the British ones! With the possibLe exception of Mrs. Brown’s Boys, which is appalling! 🤣🤣 Although this is not the thread to be bringing it up. It’s a thread about breakfast foods.
Totally agree cheesequeen! And why is that person having a hissy fit?maybe needs anger management perhaps?😡