What's wrong with Vegemite on toast? Outraged parent exposes daycare centre ban!

Today, we narrate an episode that confused many parents in one city: A daycare centre removing Vegemite on toast from its morning menu.

'What's wrong with Vegemite on toast?', you might be asking.

After all, the humble Vegemite is the quintessential Aussie breakfast spread. Many of us grew up on the strong piquant scent of this dark, thick paste smeared on our crisp toast.

Vegemite has since then imprinted itself as a true-blue Aussie icon, making its mark on our collective cultural identity.

compressed-vegemite2.jpeg
Vegemite is a quintessential Australian food deeply ingrained in the nation's culinary culture. Image by jaywennington from Unsplash

So, when Great Beginnings, a daycare centre in Marsden Park, northwest of Sydney, swapped the classic Vegemite on toast for cereals, it whipped up quite a storm.

Parents were baffled when Rice Bubbles or Cornflakes substituted the quintessential Australian staple, eventually grabbing the attention of Mr Ryan Park, the NSW Health Minister.

Responding to the fiasco, Mr Park clarified that there was no official government directive on banning Vegemite on toast and that these decisions were principally about complying with NSW Health’s Munch & Move program's carbohydrate requirements.

He said, ‘Sometimes around these guidelines, there are some recommendations around reducing salt. Local centres might do that. We’re not in the game of banning Vegemite on toast, I can assure you. ’

The daycare centre clarified its decision was steered towards ensuring children's daily carbohydrate intake did not exceed a healthy diet limit. If any child disliked cereal, a fruit salad was available.

The Health Minister also assured parents that familiar bread slices would not vanish anytime soon.

He clarified, 'Vegemite is not going anywhere. Toast is not going anywhere. We don't want people to feel bad because their kids are having Vegemite... my kids love it.'

Speaking on behalf of Great Beginnings, a G8 Education spokeswoman said the 'routine' menu alteration was aimed at encouraging kids to 'enjoy a variety of foods'.

compressed-vegemite.jpeg
Its distinct savoury and salty flavour, spread on toast or used in various recipes, has made it a beloved staple in Australian households for generations. Image from Flickr

As part of the recent menu update at Great Beginnings Marsden Park, the centre offers a variety of cereals and fruits for children to choose from during breakfast.

Toast is also available if desired, and it is served as part of the morning tea menu in the current rotation. Raisin toast is an option for morning tea, and lunch typically includes bread, rice, or pasta.

She stated, ‘We are committed to providing the children in our care with a healthy, balanced diet that helps them thrive.’

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney daycare centre, Great Beginnings, stopped serving Vegemite on toast to children for breakfast in order to comply with NSW Health's Munch & Move program.
  • The parent was informed that the removal of toast was to ensure the children's daily intake of carbohydrates does not exceed the daily limit set to maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
  • NSW Health Minister Ryan Park confirmed there was no official direction to ban toast or Vegemite from daycare centres, rather, centres could adjust their menus in line with recommendations from NSW Health’s Munch & Move program.
  • Commenting on behalf of Great Beginnings, a spokeswoman stated children could still have toast at other meal times and that the centre is committed to providing their children with a healthy, balanced diet.

In 2017, NSW school canteens received guidance to use Vegemite in ‘small amounts’ or ‘lightly spread’.

This directive led to a question directed at the then-education minister, Rob Stokes, during question time.

Mr Stokes reassured that Vegemite would continue to be served in school canteens.

He said, ‘While I am education minister, Vegemite sandwiches will continue to be on offer in New South Wales school canteens. The Government is a pro-Vegemite government.’

So, despite the Vegemite fuss and relentless health debates, it seems the beloved spread won’t really be going away.

Members, let us know what your opinions are on this story. Do you believe it's necessary to restrict children's carbohydrate intake, or do you think it's an overreaction?

Sponsored
Rather be americanised than pommie-ised. The onlt Brit show i can stand is Mrs Brown's Boys. The rest is SH%T. PURE SH%T!!! most Aussie shows are boring or set back over a hundred years ago and boring. There's too much Pom, Aussie & Kiwi shows on tv.

As for Vegemite - that sh%t is disgusting and i'm an aussie. The only thing it is good for is too make a cat have a hairball! (works better than the hairball inducing vet treatments too).
Oh my! You are an angry, disgruntled and unhappy sounding person. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Have a good one.

Mrs Brown’s Boys is written and acted out well but for me, there is just a little too much bad language. Must be a prude in my old age.

Today, we narrate an episode that confused many parents in one city: A daycare centre removing Vegemite on toast from its morning menu.

After all, the humble Vegemite is the quintessential Aussie breakfast spread. Many of us grew up on the strong piquant scent of this dark, thick paste smeared on our crisp toast.

Vegemite has since then imprinted itself as a true-blue Aussie icon, making its mark on our collective cultural identity.

View attachment 25439
Vegemite is a quintessential Australian food deeply ingrained in the nation's culinary culture. Image by jaywennington from Unsplash

So, when Great Beginnings, a daycare centre in Marsden Park, northwest of Sydney, swapped the classic Vegemite on toast for cereals, it whipped up quite a storm.

Parents were baffled when Rice Bubbles or Cornflakes substituted the quintessential Australian staple, eventually grabbing the attention of Mr Ryan Park, the NSW Health Minister.

Responding to the fiasco, Mr Park clarified that there was no official government directive on banning Vegemite on toast and that these decisions were principally about complying with NSW Health’s Munch & Move program's carbohydrate requirements.

He said, ‘Sometimes around these guidelines, there are some recommendations around reducing salt. Local centres might do that. We’re not in the game of banning Vegemite on toast, I can assure you. ’

The daycare centre clarified its decision was steered towards ensuring children's daily carbohydrate intake did not exceed a healthy diet limit. If any child disliked cereal, a fruit salad was available.

The Health Minister also assured parents that familiar bread slices would not vanish anytime soon.

He clarified, 'Vegemite is not going anywhere. Toast is not going anywhere. We don't want people to feel bad because their kids are having Vegemite... my kids love it.'

Speaking on behalf of Great Beginnings, a G8 Education spokeswoman said the 'routine' menu alteration was aimed at encouraging kids to 'enjoy a variety of foods'.

View attachment 25440
Its distinct savoury and salty flavour, spread on toast or used in various recipes, has made it a beloved staple in Australian households for generations. Image from Flickr

As part of the recent menu update at Great Beginnings Marsden Park, the centre offers a variety of cereals and fruits for children to choose from during breakfast.

Toast is also available if desired, and it is served as part of the morning tea menu in the current rotation. Raisin toast is an option for morning tea, and lunch typically includes bread, rice, or pasta.

She stated, ‘We are committed to providing the children in our care with a healthy, balanced diet that helps them thrive.’

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney daycare centre, Great Beginnings, stopped serving Vegemite on toast to children for breakfast in order to comply with NSW Health's Munch & Move program.
  • The parent was informed that the removal of toast was to ensure the children's daily intake of carbohydrates does not exceed the daily limit set to maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
  • NSW Health Minister Ryan Park confirmed there was no official direction to ban toast or Vegemite from daycare centres, rather, centres could adjust their menus in line with recommendations from NSW Health’s Munch & Move program.
  • Commenting on behalf of Great Beginnings, a spokeswoman stated children could still have toast at other meal times and that the centre is committed to providing their children with a healthy, balanced diet.

In 2017, NSW school canteens received guidance to use Vegemite in ‘small amounts’ or ‘lightly spread’.

This directive led to a question directed at the then-education minister, Rob Stokes, during question time.

Mr Stokes reassured that Vegemite would continue to be served in school canteens.

He said, ‘While I am education minister, Vegemite sandwiches will continue to be on offer in New South Wales school canteens. The Government is a pro-Vegemite government.’

So, despite the Vegemite fuss and relentless health debates, it seems the beloved spread won’t really be going away.

Members, let us know what your opinions are on this story. Do you believe it's necessary to restrict children's carbohydrate intake, or do you think it's an overreaction?
OMG
The lunatics are running the asylum.
Salt intake and carb intake are hardly a huge problem in a pre-school. Unless, of course, they are handing out spoon fulls of the stuff and telling them to take them straight. I suppose doing that would reduce the carb intake.
At some stage, sanity has to prevail. I fed my grandchildren vegemite sandwiches, but they did not develop a salt addiction. The way you make it is where the difference lies.
Banning Vegemite is just plain rubbish in my eyes.

Reactions: Littleboy8

View attachment 25439

View attachment 25440

Key Takeaways

Over reaction! The kids can bring their own Vegemite if they want to continue eating it!

Blame the parents for not giving their children breakfast in the first place, the HOME. Schools, kindergarten etc are for educating. Lunch provided in schools should be monitored yes, but breakfast
It wasn't a school, it was a daycare centre.. Young children, even babies are left there very early in the morning when their parents go to work.
The only schools I have known to provide breakfast, have been for indigenous children, to ensure they actually have breakfast.

Rather be americanised than pommie-ised. The onlt Brit show i can stand is Mrs Brown's Boys. The rest is SH%T. PURE SH%T!!! most Aussie shows are boring or set back over a hundred years ago and boring. There's too much Pom, Aussie & Kiwi shows on tv.

As for Vegemite - that sh%t is disgusting and i'm an aussie. The only thing it is good for is too make a cat have a hairball! (works better than the hairball inducing vet treatments too).
I feel the same about the Americanised shows, no talent, totally classless, all similar, acting very poor and not a sign of any humour.

Rice Bubbles and Corn Flakes have about the same nutritional value as the cardboard boxes they come in. Toast with butter and vegemite contains carbs, fat and flavour without just the useless carbs in cereal.
Agree, cardboard has little or no nutrition and that sums up a lot of cereals, way too much sugar and very little else.

I love my Vegemite 1/2 an inch thick with 1/2 inch of Margarine on bread. I would eat it off a spoon but my family would protest that there would be none left.
The governments are taking the joy out of childhood. Soon we will have a world of people that follow like sheep.

It wasn't a school, it was a daycare centre.. Young children, even babies are left there very early in the morning when their parents go to work.
The only schools I have known to provide breakfast, have been for indigenous children, to ensure they actually have breakfast.
Apologies acceepted. I read daycare centre, but my brain gets muddled.

I found out through trial and error that I am allergic to Vegemite. I wonder how the schools would react to
a child having an anaphylactic attack at school. It is very, very scary! I am also allergic to Peanut Butter.
We did not know at the time about my allergy to either of them. Willy.
No need to worry about how a childcare centre would react to an anaphylactic attack. Like school teachers, the early learning staff are well trained in managing it. All centres would have EpiPens on hand should the need arise.

I guess it would be expected to have a lot of Aussie shows on AUSTRALIAN TV.

About this topic on allergies and in particular, Vegemite allergy - don't you think the FIRST RESPONSIBILITY LIES WITH PARENTS? - make sure the staff and anyone involved in any child's care is informed of the situation and provided with an epi-pen marked with the child's name and contact phone number of parent or guardian, whether it be at pre-school, kindergarten, day care, primary school or high school.

Last edited:

What do American or "Pommie" shows have to do with the topic of Vegemite, I wonder?

View attachment 25439

View attachment 25440

Key Takeaways

They are worried about carbs yet they offer cornflakes etc in their place? Vegemite is full of vitamin B,
kids would eat more salt on chips than thinly spread vegemite. What goes on cornflakes and rice bubbles,
sugar! and fruit is an option but then again sugar (fruitose)

They are worried about carbs yet they offer cornflakes etc in their place? Vegemite is full of vitamin B,
kids would eat more salt on chips than thinly spread vegemite. What goes on cornflakes and rice bubbles,
sugar! and fruit is an option but then again sugar (fruitose)
I love the taste of vegemite and I eat it for the bit b factor. 👍