SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
What's the best gift you ever received as a kid?

Hey, members! Happy Saturday! What’s on your agenda for today?

As for me, I’m heading to a fantastic birthday party this afternoon. It’s my dear friend’s son’s birthday, and he’s turning eight years old. But here’s the thing—I haven’t found that perfect gift for him yet.

There are so many toys out there, but I want my gift to be memorable and interesting for an 8-year-old. Unfortunately, a cute bike is a bit out of my budget. So, I’m wondering... What’s the best gift you ever received as a kid? I’d love to read about those unforgettable childhood memories that still warm your heart in the comments below.

compressed-Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 1.30.31 PM.jpeg
Credits: Unsplash​

Last edited:
Reactions: Barbara Finnegan
My finest gift was a culmination of a caring, family life from the middle of WW 2. It was years later that I learned the term, “basic wage” and I understood why my mother, with two nearby neighbours, covered belts and buckles to add to my father’s basic wage, along with a Saturday morning job for him. Clothes were always washed and neatly ironed. The house was clean. There was always food on the table, thankfully helped by Grandma’s eggs and home-grown vegetables. Never was there a complaint about lack of money or about anything being the fault of the government. They taught me about God’s love and provisions. I learned “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.“ (Phil 4:13) That was my greatest gift which I still hold.

What's the best gift you ever received as a kid?

Hey, members! Happy Saturday! What’s on your agenda for today?

As for me, I’m heading to a fantastic birthday party this afternoon. It’s my dear friend’s son’s birthday, and he’s turning eight years old. But here’s the thing—I haven’t found that perfect gift for him yet.

There are so many toys out there, but I want my gift to be memorable and interesting for an 8-year-old. Unfortunately, a cute bike is a bit out of my budget. So, I’m wondering... What’s the best gift you ever received as a kid? I’d love to read about those unforgettable childhood memories that still warm your heart in the comments below.

View attachment 26702
Credits: Unsplash​
When I was 3 years old I received a doll that could walk and talk , I still have her , but she doesn't talk any more

• Wow
Reactions: Janne double uu
Growing up in an orphanage, the nuns never allowed us to play with the toy given to us by Aussies n British soldiers during the Christmas School Party. The toys were taken from us n placed on a very high shelf for display before disappearing. Once when i was taken home for Christmas by a European family i was given a fully dressed teddy bear and i held on to it for dear life, for weeks until it inexplicably went missing after a church service...today teddies are still my all-time favourite gift!!!

Growing up in an orphanage, the nuns never allowed us to play with the toy given to us by Aussies n British soldiers during the Christmas School Party. The toys were taken from us n placed on a very high shelf for display before disappearing. Once when i was taken home for Christmas by a European family i was given a fully dressed teddy bear and i held on to it for dear life, for weeks until it inexplicably went missing after a church service...today teddies are still my all-time favourite gift!!!
I cried a bit when I read this. Although I was born into a poor but loving family. I realised growing up in the 30's 40's 50's and 60's although we mostly had fun it was not always fun. A few of my friends were brought up in orphanages. It was no better or worse than the stolen generation

Reactions: Manyantz2015
I have two best gifts. When I was small we lived in Malaysia, when I got up in the morning of my 6th birthday there was a small Malay kampong house in the garden as a cubby house.
On my 11th birthday I was in our church choir and loved church music. My parents bought me a full size pedal organ so I could learn to play the music I loved. When we moved to Australia I donated it to the small church in Wales where I had been christened as they had been struggling to raise the funds for a new organ.

when i was 10 yrs old was given a 2nd hand bike it was the best thing i ever owned,

My best pressi was a pair of Clark shoes ....I was allowed to wear it to school ...I was proud as punch....lol

When I was 6 my grandparents gave me a pink teddy bear which growled when you bent him forward. After a few years he didn't growl anymore but I still loved him.

I have two best gifts. When I was small we lived in Malaysia, when I got up in the morning of my 6th birthday there was a small Malay kampong house in the garden as a cubby house.
On my 11th birthday I was in our church choir and loved church music. My parents bought me a full size pedal organ so I could learn to play the music I loved. When we moved to Australia I donated it to the small church in Wales where I had been christened as they had been struggling to raise the funds for a new organ.
I'm from Msia n its changed sooo much since your lovely childhood time...changed 4 d worse..sad to say!!!

Sorry I am playing catch up with my correspondence.
Best ever Christmas was the one when I received my copy of Black Beauty (still have it after 65 years) with Mums apology that I could not have a horse as we had no room.

I remember back in the day when one of my buddies received this ridiculously funny bobblehead as a gift. Man, we all had a blast with it! I secretly wished I had one, but life had its twists. The funny thing is, times have changed, and now there's this amazing option to actually make your own bobbleheads. It's like turning childhood dreams into reality! Thinking of going down that route for your friend's son's birthday is a pretty cool idea. So, as you head to the party, I hope you find that magical gift that brings a big smile to the little dude's face. Birthdays are all about creating those heartwarming memories, and your thoughtful gesture will surely add to that.

Last edited: