What's hiding in your roast chicken? Woolworths customer shocked by 'toxic-looking' discovery - But is it safe?

Striving for the perfect roast dinner can be daunting for many, and the last thing we need is a nasty surprise when you take that dazzling chicken out of the oven.

But what if we told you that a Woolworths customer recently experienced an unpleasant surprise lurking in their roast chicken?

It's enough to put anyone off their dinner and leave them questioning whether it's safe to eat.
Glen, a loyal Woolworths shopper, was disappointed when his dinner was ruined after he cut into a whole chicken, only to find it streaked with green-coloured meat. Imagine spending your time and effort preparing a beautiful roast, only to look like it came straight out of a science fiction movie!

Glen turned to social media on Sunday, seeking answers and advice from his fellow shoppers, sharing his confusion over the 'green toxic looking bile colour’.

He also included a picture of the product's label, just 'in case they do a recall’.

1684802587635.png
A Woolworths customer was shocked to discover a green-coloured, ’toxic-looking’ substance in their roast chicken. Credit: Twitter/Glen Schaefer.

But is it actually toxic or harmful to eat? And what could have caused this bizarre discolouration in the first place?

Thankfully, experts have come forward to put our minds at ease.

Edward McCartney of Food Safety Plus revealed that the unsettling green colour is actually caused by a condition called Green Muscle Disease or Deep Pectoral Myopathy (DPM).

McCartney explained: 'Commercially raised chickens grow very quickly, which can result in insufficient blood supply to some muscles and lead to the death of some tissues.'

'Broiler chickens are left relatively inactive during the growing stages, and without sufficient exercise of the pectoral muscles, circulatory supply is not increased, leading to degeneration and cell death.’

Thankfully, there's a silver lining to this unpleasant discovery. McCartney assures consumers that 'the affected meat is not associated with any infection and has no safety concern other than appearing aesthetically unacceptable.'

He adds that this phenomenon often only becomes apparent once the chicken is cut up, so Glen had no idea what he was in for until he prepared his meal.

In response to the unsettling find, a Woolworths spokesperson stated that they believe ingredients within the chicken probably caused the green-coloured flesh.

They said: 'We are investigating the matter further to identify the potential cause of this, however, we note the chicken has a green herb-based stuffing.'

It's worth noting that this isn't the first time a green chicken has made headlines. Coles customers in Brisbane and Melbourne have also reported green discolouration in their poultry over the past few years.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer found his whole chicken to have green-coloured meat streaks, ruining his dinner.
  • The green streaks are likely caused by a condition called Green Muscle Disease or Deep Pectoral Myopathy (DPM), which occurs due to insufficient blood supply to some muscles in commercially raised chickens.
  • The affected meat is not associated with any infection and has no safety concern other than appearing ‘aesthetically unacceptable’.
  • Woolworths is investigating the matter further but suspects the green flesh was caused by ingredients in the chicken's green herb-based stuffing.

Members, this story just goes to show how much mystery can be hidden in your supermarket purchases. Before buying and cooking any chicken, make sure to look for signs of freshness, like flavourful juices and colours described, and cook it thoroughly.

Have you ever come across something unusual in your roast chicken? Tell us about it in the comments below!

Also, speaking of secrets, we recommend checking out this article where we shared about the ‘secret’ behind the packaging of Woolworths hot roast chicken.

Sponsored
Striving for the perfect roast dinner can be daunting for many, and the last thing we need is a nasty surprise when you take that dazzling chicken out of the oven.

But what if we told you that a Woolworths customer recently experienced an unpleasant surprise lurking in their roast chicken?

It's enough to put anyone off their dinner and leave them questioning whether it's safe to eat.
Glen, a loyal Woolworths shopper, was disappointed when his dinner was ruined after he cut into a whole chicken, only to find it streaked with green-coloured meat. Imagine spending your time and effort preparing a beautiful roast, only to look like it came straight out of a science fiction movie!

Glen turned to social media on Sunday, seeking answers and advice from his fellow shoppers, sharing his confusion over the 'green toxic looking bile colour’.

He also included a picture of the product's label, just 'in case they do a recall’.

View attachment 20406
A Woolworths customer was shocked to discover a green-coloured, ’toxic-looking’ substance in their roast chicken. Credit: Twitter/Glen Schaefer.

But is it actually toxic or harmful to eat? And what could have caused this bizarre discolouration in the first place?

Edward McCartney of Food Safety Plus revealed that the unsettling green colour is actually caused by a condition called Green Muscle Disease or Deep Pectoral Myopathy (DPM).

McCartney explained: 'Commercially raised chickens grow very quickly, which can result in insufficient blood supply to some muscles and lead to the death of some tissues.'

'Broiler chickens are left relatively inactive during the growing stages, and without sufficient exercise of the pectoral muscles, circulatory supply is not increased, leading to degeneration and cell death.’

Thankfully, there's a silver lining to this unpleasant discovery. McCartney assures consumers that 'the affected meat is not associated with any infection and has no safety concern other than appearing aesthetically unacceptable.'

He adds that this phenomenon often only becomes apparent once the chicken is cut up, so Glen had no idea what he was in for until he prepared his meal.

In response to the unsettling find, a Woolworths spokesperson stated that they believe ingredients within the chicken probably caused the green-coloured flesh.

They said: 'We are investigating the matter further to identify the potential cause of this, however, we note the chicken has a green herb-based stuffing.'

It's worth noting that this isn't the first time a green chicken has made headlines. Coles customers in Brisbane and Melbourne have also reported green discolouration in their poultry over the past few years.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer found his whole chicken to have green-coloured meat streaks, ruining his dinner.
  • The green streaks are likely caused by a condition called Green Muscle Disease or Deep Pectoral Myopathy (DPM), which occurs due to insufficient blood supply to some muscles in commercially raised chickens.
  • The affected meat is not associated with any infection and has no safety concern other than appearing ‘aesthetically unacceptable’.
  • Woolworths is investigating the matter further but suspects the green flesh was caused by ingredients in the chicken's green herb-based stuffing.

Members, this story just goes to show how much mystery can be hidden in your supermarket purchases. Before buying and cooking any chicken, make sure to look for signs of freshness, like flavourful juices and colours described, and cook it thoroughly.

Have you ever come across something unusual in your roast chicken? Tell us about it in the comments below!

Also, speaking of secrets, we recommend checking out this article where we shared about the ‘secret’ behind the packaging of Woolworths hot roast chicken.
We had a similar experience on Mother’s Day. I bought a Woolies BBQ chicken on Saturday and when we carved it up on Sunday it had a greenish and black tinge to the supposed white meat, it also wasn’t 100% cooked as some parts were raw! It’s definitely put us off buying BBQ chooks from Woolies again. I ended up throwing it out. In hindsight, I should have taken it back but honestly, couldn’t be bothered at the time.

View attachment 20406

Key Takeaways

Fun fact- unless otherwise stated, all chickens once killed are bathed in chlorine!

Reactions: Ricci
If it's green it's the gallbladder from the chicken. Pathetic that the deli people didn't notice that!
On the odd time, chicken livers have green gallbladder with it. I know this because I buy them for my cat. I cut away that green section and throw it out because cat's dislike that taste.
I'd return that chicken and demand my $ back.

Last edited:

View attachment 20406

Key Takeaways

Makes me wonder about the quality of life for the poor chooks!

Ii wouldn't buy cooked chicken from Coles or Woolies, they use Steggles or Inghams chickens which are fed genetically modified grain. Same as the meat which now the idiots want to inject our beef, lamb & poultry with a MRNA vaccines which contains spike protein the same technology in covid bio weapon shots, they're after poisoning the food chain. I only buy organic meat, yeah you might pay a little more but isn't it worth knowing you're not eating toxic products, I buy my cat organic meat too. I don't trust anything from supermarkets

I don't buy Coles or Woolworths cooked chickens, I don't know what they treat them with but they always have a terrible smell that makes me gag, this article has made me even less likely to purchase one of their BBQ chooks. I certainly wouldn't have eaten that green chook & would have taken it back or contacted the Health Department!

Reactions: Jenny07
If it's green it's the gallbladder from the chicken. Pathetic that the deli people didn't notice that!
On the odd time, chicken livers have green gallbladder with it. I know this because I buy them for my cat. I cut away that green section and throw it out because cat's dislike that taste.
It's such a shame they are so full of shite bc let's be honest they do taste delicious, but I am a bit more knowledgeable now. I'm trying Our Cow for the 1st time and have ordered mostly wild caught fish, organic chicken ( not doused in chlorine) some grass fed organic beef and nitrate free bacon. Actually not too costly at all, in fact fish is cheaper.

It's such a shame they are so full of shite bc let's be honest they do taste delicious, but I am a bit more knowledgeable now. I'm trying Our Cow for the 1st time and have ordered mostly wild caught fish, organic chicken ( not doused in chlorine) some grass fed organic beef and nitrate free bacon. Actually not too costly at all, in fact fish is cheaper.
I can safely say it rarely happens. I have fed my cat diy raw meals since she was a kitten, and now she's 12. I wouldn't be too concerned. I never buy cooked chicken, as I cook my own whole chicken or chicken pieces. However, organic meat would be nicer, but pricey.

View attachment 20406

Key Takeaways

Oh goodness! How can we trust anything these days!

I can safely say it rarely happens. I have fed my cat diy raw meals since she was a kitten, and now she's 12. I wouldn't be too concerned. I never buy cooked chicken, as I cook my own whole chicken or chicken pieces. However, organic meat would be nicer, but pricey.
I am feeding my cats home-cooked chook and raw chicken hearts and gizzards, plus also necks for the kitten. I used to buy beef and lamb hearts but they have both been unavailable for a long time now. We are being forced to buy what the marketers want us to, not what we would choose. The three cats all eat fresh meats, whereas they will only lick the gravy from the expensive packet or tinned cat food and leave the rest. It is costing more to buy processed cat food and dispose of the packing and tins, than to give them the real meat they need. Just takes a little extra time to prepare, but many pet owners are more inclined to just open a tin or foil sachets or a full diet on that awful dried kibble than fresh cut raw, or cooked. I buy the chicken when on special, mostly bulk drumsticks, after removing the bulk-cooked roasted chicken drumsticks carefully from the bones and cutting the raw pork accordingly, pack it in meal-sized cling wrap parcels and put them in the freezer and defrost the ones needed every morning or heat them slightly in the microwave for our 16 years old loved Brit . How many would bother to do this I wonder?

Last edited:
I am feeding my cats home-cooked chook and raw chicken hearts and gizzards, plus also necks for the kitten. I used to buy beef and lamb hearts but they have both been unavailable for a long time now. We are being forced to buy what the marketers want us to, not what we would choose. The three cats all eat fresh meats, whereas they will only lick the gravy from the expensive packet or tinned cat food and leave the rest. It is costing more to buy processed cat food and dispose of the packing and tins, than to give them the real meat they need. Just takes a little extra time to prepare, but many pet owners are more inclined to just open a tin or foil sachets or a full diet on that awful dried kibble than fresh cut raw, or cooked. I buy the chicken when on special, mostly bulk drumsticks, after removing the bulk-cooked roasted chicken drumsticks carefully from the bones and cutting the raw pork accordingly, pack it in meal-sized cling wrap parcels and put them in the freezer and defrost the ones needed every morning or heat them slightly in the microwave for our 16 years old loved Brit . How many would bother to do this I wonder?
Aaww .. your cats enjoy your meals too. It's certainly cheaper than kibble and tinned/canned food. It does take a lot of work and easier to give commercial cat food. I make a 'batch' every few months and portion it in containers for the freezer. I only have one cat now, as our other cat passed away a while ago. She gnaws on a raw chicken leg at breakfast, as it cleans those pesky back teeth/gums. She's never needed her teeth cleaned by the Vet. Necks are great for a kitten too.

View attachment 20406

Key Takeaways

Eeew. Consuming necrotising chicken flesh does not look or sound appetising! I wouldn't touch it. I fail to understand how this in anyway could be ok!

The bile sac on the liver should have been removed before it left the factory, it is toxic especially to humans, and if due to no human factor in the evisceration of poultry now and the liver sac is breaking inside the chickens I would be complaining much further than the supermarket.

Reactions: Jenny07 and Penny4
Passing off a lot of sub-standard products and experimenting with peoples taste buds seems to be the modus operandi of the supermarkets these day.
So much tasteless crap on the shelves with prices up 100% if not more on last year.