SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
What's a mistake that you've made once, that you will never make again?

shutterstock_1913081194.jpg
Image source: Shutterstock

We're only human, we all make mistakes, it's how we learn from those mistakes that really defines us. But you know what's even better than learning from our own mistakes? Learning from others' mistakes (because we don't have to make the mistake to learn from it, of course).

So, being the nosy person that I am (sorry everyone), I decided to do some research on other people's mistakes that they will never make again, I want to preface that the most common mistake was actually people warning others never to get married, calling it the 'biggest mistake of their life,' and while that can be true for some, I felt like it wasn’t true for others, unlike these mistakes…

1. Never try to catch a falling knife.
I'm not going to lie, maybe it's because I'm no chef but I've never even thought about this one before. While it’s a good metaphor for not trying to save things that are inexorably hurtling to catastrophe, apparently it's a really bad idea to - quite literally - try and catch a knife that's falling because you're more likely to get hurt than actually catch the knife! According to people who have made this mistake before, "a falling knife has no handle" Who knew?

2. Never taste vanilla extract.
I have to admit members, I've thought about it, but I've never carried through with it. I'm not even sure why it's tempting to try, but according to those who have tried it not only does it burn your mouth and throat, its high alcohol content and lack of added sugar results in an extremely undesirable taste. A bit misleading seeing as it smells pretty good.

3. Never avoid an oil change for your car.
I'm no 'car girl', in fact, I know next to nothing about them, but I do know that if any light turns on it's time to go to the mechanic. I've never missed an oil change (yet) but according to people who have, paying anywhere between $20 and $60 for an oil change is far better than $10,000+ for a complete engine change... Don't make this mistake, members.

4. Never try to multitask when you're driving.
Well, this one isn't rocket science, but I thought I better throw it in seeing I'm definitely guilty of this one. Whether it's changing the music, talking on the phone (bluetooth of course) or even just looking in the back seat, taking your eyes off the road, even for a second, can result in a serious accident. We've all heard the statistics, but it really is true that car accidents are one of the leading causes of death, so please, just focus on the road or pull over!

5. Never put metal in the microwave.
Yes, don't even try it, honestly this is coming from someone who HAS tried it (accidentally of course.) It gave me the fright of my life, I completely forgot the butter I had was in foil NOT paper (we usually buy the one wrapped in paper) and my goodness there were sparks and even a little fire. Although this one definitely falls into the 'common sense' category, I think people get curious and even lazy sometimes... Trust me it's not worth it, especially if it means you have to buy a new microwave.

So, there you have it folks! Five mistakes that people have made that they will never make again. I want to hear from you though, what's a mistake that you made that you will never make again?

Reactions: Ricci and BJM
Gave my QU face cream instead of my Oral B toothpaste. How same colour tubes and in a hurry 🤣

Gave my QU face cream instead of my Oral B toothpaste. How same colour tubes and in a hurry 🤣
I did similar, only used Savlon instead of toothpaste. Ugh. Even now, when the toothpaste tube is a different colour I still check the writing to make sure its toothpaste.

Put the phone in the freezer. My kids to this day still don't let me live this one down.

Forgot to renew my 30 day visa while visiting my birth country as I had my mum in hospital and I overstayed by just a few days and was fined a hefty sum when leaving. Will never do that again.!!!!

View attachment 4166

We're only human, we all make mistakes, it's how we learn from those mistakes that really defines us. But you know what's even better than learning from our own mistakes? Learning from others' mistakes (because we don't have to make the mistake to learn from it, of course).

So, being the nosy person that I am (sorry everyone), I decided to do some research on other people's mistakes that they will never make again, I want to preface that the most common mistake was actually people warning others never to get married, calling it the 'biggest mistake of their life,' and while that can be true for some, I felt like it wasn’t true for others, unlike these mistakes…

I'm not going to lie, maybe it's because I'm no chef but I've never even thought about this one before. While it’s a good metaphor for not trying to save things that are inexorably hurtling to catastrophe, apparently it's a really bad idea to - quite literally - try and catch a knife that's falling because you're more likely to get hurt than actually catch the knife! According to people who have made this mistake before, "a falling knife has no handle" Who knew?

I have to admit members, I've thought about it, but I've never carried through with it. I'm not even sure why it's tempting to try, but according to those who have tried it not only does it burn your mouth and throat, its high alcohol content and lack of added sugar results in an extremely undesirable taste. A bit misleading seeing as it smells pretty good.

I'm no 'car girl', in fact, I know next to nothing about them, but I do know that if any light turns on it's time to go to the mechanic. I've never missed an oil change (yet) but according to people who have, paying anywhere between $20 and $60 for an oil change is far better than $10,000+ for a complete engine change... Don't make this mistake, members.

Well, this one isn't rocket science, but I thought I better throw it in seeing I'm definitely guilty of this one. Whether it's changing the music, talking on the phone (bluetooth of course) or even just looking in the back seat, taking your eyes off the road, even for a second, can result in a serious accident. We've all heard the statistics, but it really is true that car accidents are one of the leading causes of death, so please, just focus on the road or pull over!

Yes, don't even try it, honestly this is coming from someone who HAS tried it (accidentally of course.) It gave me the fright of my life, I completely forgot the butter I had was in foil NOT paper (we usually buy the one wrapped in paper) and my goodness there were sparks and even a little fire. Although this one definitely falls into the 'common sense' category, I think people get curious and even lazy sometimes... Trust me it's not worth it, especially if it means you have to buy a new microwave.

So, there you have it folks! Five mistakes that people have made that they will never make again. I want to hear from you though, what's a mistake that you made that you will never make again?

A mistake that I will never make again is keeping both Vicks and Vaseline on my bedside table. One night before sleeping my husband grabbed a finger of Vicks instead of Vaseline before our lovemaking began. He didn’t notice any difference but I sure as heck did.

• Sad
Reactions: Defiant540

View attachment 4166

I once licked my finger to catch a drop of Tabasco sauce, never again, as I am not a person who likes hot sauces or dishes.
My husband just added never get married again, just live with the person, I agree when all said and done it's only a piece of paper to say married, so no difference from living together with no paper.

When I was around 25 we went on a girls night and started doing shots and didn't know when to stop we wanted to see who would give up first. I don't know who stopped first or how I got home but do remember my husband holding my head over a bucket in my own bed ,no idea how I even got there. I can't begin to think or don't want to think what happened in between doing shots and getting home. ( my husband actually picked me up)

Most recently I had people for dinner and made a whole lot of food including stuffed tomatoes. My husband was talking these tomatoes up. We sat down to eat and placed all the food into the centre of the table . Everyone started dishing out and I wondered why the tomatoes looked strange....I forgot to stuff them ...they were empty flat cooked tomatoes instead of standing up high with a meat and rice mixture inside . Now I double check every time I now make them

A mistake that I will never make again is keeping both Vicks and Vaseline on my bedside table. One night before sleeping my husband grabbed a finger of Vicks instead of Vaseline before our lovemaking began. He didn’t notice any difference but I sure as heck did.
Ouch! 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Suzanne rose
For some reason I'm not sure of after a making love I said thank you in a very out of breath way and to this day if I say thank you to him he gives me The Look.