What this customer witnessed in a supermarket self-service section will horrify you!

As we age, we often become more conscious of our health and the importance of maintaining good hygiene, especially when it comes to our food.

A recent incident at a Coles, however, has left many horrified and concerned about food safety.

Laura, a regular Coles shopper, was looking forward to picking up her favourite snack—chilli and lime soy crisps—from the supermarket's 'scoop and weigh' section.

This feature allows customers to scoop their chosen goods into zip-lock bags, weigh them, and print a barcode for pricing based on weight.

It's a great way to save money, as buying in bulk is often cheaper than purchasing pre-packaged goods.

However, during her latest visit, Laura's shopping experience took a distressing turn.

compressed-coles 2.jpeg
Laura shared a concerning thing she witnessed while shopping.
Image Credit: Tiktok/@laurakleis

In a video shared on social media, she recounted how she witnessed a man open the lid of a container, stick his hand in, and help himself to a taste right then and there.

'He opened it, grabbed it, and then ate it and now I can never go and scoop away,' Laura said, visibly shaken by the event.

'People are here doing that? He grabbed it with his hand.'

The 'scoop and weigh' debacle has sparked a wave of concern among shoppers, with many relating to her experience in the comments.

Some shared their own unsavoury experiences in the said section.

‘I once witnessed someone open one of the scoop and weigh containers to sneeze directly into it,’ one recounted.

‘I’ve seen a small child eating straight out of it and the parent letting them. Never will I eat these,’ another comment read.

The incident raises important questions about the safety and cleanliness of bulk food sections.

While they offer convenience and cost savings, they also seem to present a risk of contamination.

It's a reminder that sometimes, paying a little extra for pre-packaged goods isn't just about convenience; it's about ensuring the safety and hygiene of our food.

With the rise of these safety concerns, there are some rules supermarkets can consider to improve the hygiene in these areas.

The supermarket can implement stricter supervision, better signage reminding customers of proper etiquette, or even a move towards more secure dispensers that limit direct contact.

As of writing, Coles has not commented on the matter.

After this incident, it would be wise to exercise caution when using 'scoop and weigh' services.

It might also be worth thinking about what supermarkets are doing to ensure these sections are kept hygienic for everyone.
Key Takeaways

• A Coles shopper was left horrified after witnessing unhygienic practices at the supermarket's 'scoop and weigh' section.
  • The shopper recorded a video expressing her shock at seeing another shopper eating directly from the bulk bins.
  • Many social media users concurred with her concern, sharing their unfavourable experiences and qualms about the self-serve scoop bins.
  • Comments suggested some customers prefer to pay more for pre-packaged items to avoid hygiene issues witnessed at the 'scoop and weigh' stations.
Have you had similar experiences with bulk food sections at supermarkets? Do you have any suggestions for how stores could improve hygiene in these areas? Tell us about your thoughts and stories in the comments below.

Sponsored
Really people, how is it any different from those that taste cherries, grapes or strawberries? Yes I have seen people taste strawberries! They still put a hand inside a package.
Nothing surprises me anymore. And I don't buy from those containers. Never have and never will.

I hope all those ‘horrified’ shoppers didn’t touch their trolley handle without disinfecting it. They’re riddled with just about every bug you can think of.

I certainly don’t condone the actions of the shopper, but people get far too triggered these days by ultimately trivial things.

So why are we shocked? Put temptation in the way and that's what happens.
All self-serve food items are contaminated, even if they use the scoop, it was in their hand then back in the container. The price of buying packaged items is nothing compared to the risks associated with food safety. Wrapped is always the best.

A while ago I encountered a lady in the loo, she walked out without washing her hands, I did mention to her about washing her hands, she politely told me to go F myself. Later , in Coles I saw her grabbing items from the self service section, with her hands and putting some into her mouth and others into a bag to be weighed. Needless to say, I have never gone near that area again.

I don't use this at coles, not only can you NOT trust who has sneezed/coughed or stuck their grubby mitts into it or double dipped there but there is no proper signage of what these items contain in them and the prices are outrageous. would rather choose prepacked and know what i'm getting myself in for than risk my life on things i can't eat.

I hope all those ‘horrified’ shoppers didn’t touch their trolley handle without disinfecting it. They’re riddled with just about every bug you can think of.

I certainly don’t condone the actions of the shopper, but people get far too triggered these days by ultimately trivial things.
I have touched hundreds of trolley handles.. How many thousands of bugs do I have??

And there is smorgasbord and help yourself restaurants. I watched. people sneeze, cough, touch food. But the hum dinger was when a.group of mentally challenged chaps came in for their weekly outing and one young man, reaching for a dish at the back, dropped a huge dribble in the front dish. He didn’t realise but I sure did. Never went there again.

Reactions: Tervueren