I did my Masters in RMIT melbourne and paid full fees as an overseas student. But the establishment didn't offer to put me in the Aus Shipping Guild. I had no intention to immigrate as I was a young Capt in the Merchant Navy, owned my own 4x4 home, my car, had 4 servants and a tax free wage in US$ at the age of 34. My wife was an art director in an advt co: and pulled in a decent wage. When I was in aus doing my masters she was offered sponsorship by her employet, but she refused saying I would never leave India. Lo and behold, a few incidents in India made me casually apply for immigration and we got in. We gave ourselves 2 years to make it.
Just then I had a massive heart attack n had a cabg x 4.
The way that this country looked after me and my wife during this time, made me realise that this new adopted country was fair dinkum.

I gave up everything in India and tried to settle down in karratha as a marine surveyor and rest is history.
My kids r more aussie than ill ever be.
All i tell them is- absorb the respect and culture of India and the “what you see is what you get” and the confidence of an ausdie- and you’ll be ok

I was born an Indian but choose to live my life in Australia respecting both cultures and holding my head up high as I walk the streets of life

I pinch myself every morning when I wake, for the clean environment and increasingly acceptance of newcomers to this wonderful land
Amen🙃
Very beautifully said. I love that you still love and hold your mother country close but you also love and respect what you have in Australia.

I'm thinking using fair dinkum in your story your more Aussie than you are giving yourself credit for.

It's people like you and your wife that we Aussies welcome with open arms

I spent 20 years in our Navy (Royal Australian Navy) and traveled to plenty of countries in that time. Some of the things I saw during those travels were brilliant, some not so! Every time I arrived back on our home soil the one thing that always resonated with me was how great Australia is and how really lucky we are to have won the “universal” jackpot to call Australia home.

Our political systems, our laws, our multi-cultural makeup and our freedoms need to be appreciated by all – we really are the “lucky country”.

What makes you happy to be Australian?

Have you heard the news?

Australia is the 12th happiest country in the world, according to the 2023 World Happiness Report. Finland is once again first. Our dear old neighbour New Zealand is ahead of us (just by a bit!) at tenth place. Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom rank below Australia in the top 20.

View attachment 16170
What makes you happy to be Aussie, dear Aussie? Image Credit: Pexels/T Leish

In light of this encouraging news, I’ll ask: what makes you happy to be Australian? Is it the culture? The land? The people? The lifestyle? The odd hot cross bun flavours? The ever-present sense of community? Whatever your reason is, we’d love to know!
I have been living here in Australia for 65 years now and I’m 81 years old when I came to Australia in 1958. I thought it was paradise and I still think it is.
It was the first time I had a proper bed to sleep in and food to eat after coming from Germany after the war. Yes Australia has changed however it is still the best country in the world. I have a Ruth in my head. I pay to sleep in it and three meals a day who could ask for more.

I love living in the country right near the grand Murray River. It is so peaceful with the kookaburras singing and laughing and the magpies beautiful song. Sitting by the river with my own thoughts. The tranquillity is amazing.

When one looks at some of the other Countries You feel
Lucky to be living in Australia and should be proud to be Australian
Our Health System is one of the best not only are human beings catered for
But Wildlife as well .. Don’t forget our Volunteers if it was not for them some
Places i.e. Hospitals etc would be struggling.
With regard to the reference made about SOME people being in “ Limbo “
Known as “ Temporary Residents “. EVERYONE has to have their background checked
and when there are hundreds it takes time to complete this .

In 1940's my parents had became displaced as post war people were to return to their homeland leaving the various countries that they had sought refuge in.... many had married and so it was not pheasable for those couples to simply to return to their homelands. Some women who had been raped and bore children during and post war were not accepted by their countries and many who fought against the communist t regimes intended takeover were hunted by them and their lives in danger, that being the case for many years post war... that list was permanent and so many were unable and feared returning. So in this manner many people had became stateless , homeless and became refugees.

So my parents as both were from different nations, had met as my father from Hungary Mother from Austria (was once the Austro hungarian empire which voided during the war ) do they sought to come to Australia as migrants/ refugees, and displaced people and with 3 children. The Canadian, Australian and NZ countries were offering a new home and so my parents applied.
After my father being vigorously and seriously interviewed for weeks and vetted via military officers and finally accepted to Australia, so my father signed a contract to work for x years for the Australian government to repay a moral And financial debt for the sea passage and the privilege of being accepted as a New Australian... so we set sail in 1950 and arrived at Fremantle harbour...
We were taken to Northam by train and lived at the camp there. My siblings and children from other countries who all happily played together became fluent in many languages. We then went to live in some farms, some tent sites in various rural West Aust villages and towns as contracted by the signed agreement by my father with the Gov. My father and a beautiful man who i loved and I've never forgotten named Frank, a gentle black man who worked with my father spray painting the water pipelines and they themselves physically pulling the cart of equipment used to do the spraying. Hard and difficult work. Both men returning to their families. My parents invited Frank and his wife and family to vice in Sundays to have s day and meals with us and Luther that we could get to know their family... no ignorant racial discrimination, just total respect for each and the joy of knowing each other.. Frank works vines and he just loved my mothers cooking.. Frank shyly told my father that his family never wore clothes at home and he would happily remove his clothes and be white he truly was, a period Aboriginal with his loving family.. my parents respectfully understood and Frank came every Sunday for lunch and returned home with our love and respect for his wife and children. I still remember his beautiful eyes when as a little girl i offered him a bunch of flowers i had picked for him... i just loved Frank.
When my fathers contract was finished we then moved into a horse stable on a farm in Worsley. We happily lived there until my parents decided we would move a little closer to a tiny town in the south west as he has found work in a coal mine. My parents were able to buy a good sized block of land in a tiny community in Allanson from the money my frugal mother had saved..... and so my father went to a shopkeeper in the town and was given a loan for 2 tents which was too become our home for all of us... ... three children and my parents.. the first thing my father did was build a toilet... the Aussie Dunny...
my father was a very strong man with great character and morals and i remember clearly how he lined us three children up and wagged his finger and said very seriously.

" Australia has given us a home, and you 3 make sure you give back to Australia".. he was fierce and so sincere about his gratitude to this beautiful country that gave us a home.. .. so we became New Australians... ( that's another story) after 20 years my mother asked a Aussie lady why was she still a New Australian... with the shocked response by the lady " oh not you Maria...I mean the Vietnamese people..... you are an Australian.. " 😊😊
so 2 siblings later i can say over the subsequent years as adults we absolutely have all contributed hugely to this wonderful country and Land... i love my country Australia , the homeland who accepted and gave us a life we would never have had in post war Europe... 😊💜🦘🦘🦘🦘🦘
My story is long winded.. and I am sure you recognise the passion and love I have for Australia. 💜🦘🦘

Last edited:

Have you heard the news?

Australia is the 12th happiest country in the world, according to the 2023 World Happiness Report. Finland is once again first. Our dear old neighbour New Zealand is ahead of us (just by a bit!) at tenth place. Canada, the United States, and the United Kingdom rank below Australia in the top 20.

What makes you happy to be Aussie, dear Aussie? Image Credit: Pexels/T Leish[/CAPTION]

In light of this encouraging news, I’ll ask: what makes you happy to be Australian? Is it the culture? The land? The people? The lifestyle? The odd hot cross bun flavours? The ever-present sense of community? Whatever your reason is, we’d love to know!
On the positive side, our freedom, lifestyle, climate, multiculturalism, natures wonders..whats not to love about our beautiful country. On the negative side, we should be learning, respecting & listening to our indigenous..we are fortunate to live freely on their land. From love & respect comes happiness.

Have you heard the news?

View attachment 16170
What makes you happy to be Aussie, dear Aussie? Image Credit: Pexels/T Leish

I am happy to be Australian for a lot of reasons:
I was given a new life, a safe and secure future for myself and my family.
I came to Australia from a country torn by war and divided by hatred.
I had the opportunity to stay here and I was the best one.
Comparing to the other countries like America, Canada or European countries,I think Australia is still stable and affordable to live.
Even Australia faced disasters like bushfire,flood,drough but Australia survives through disasters and hardship.
It is not a miracle but it is mainly due to the willpower of people here.
Australian people are amazing, optimistic-friendly and they stick together through thick and thin.
I am proud to be Australian!

I am not sure if this is the best place to report what I heard on Sunrise this morning but they were talking about someone from the MCG revealing that Taylor Swift was coming to Australia and Nat Barr replied that she loves a good leak which is uncharacteristic

I am still a fair dinkum Aussie & last night was thrilled to have voted for the Winner of Australian idol. An aboriginal from Queenslands far-far north who had not only a phenomenal voice but a great life attitude. This is what makes Australia great, its people be they black, brown or brindle or white like me.

I love Australia as the country has so many different sceneries . I prefer the country area above the big cities. I have been hiking the Larapinta Trail in the Northern Territory with my husband when we were over 60 yrs of age . We were fully independent with large backpacks , tent , food , water etc. We walked for 17 days and the trail was 225 km , and had to walk back a few times as we took the wrong path , as very limited signage.
It was hard and complained a few times , but we are so enormous pleased with ourselves to complete this amazing trail with sunrise,sunset , mountains , gorges and the few beautiful people we met with the same interest.
Done more walking in Tasmania , NSW and Qld. , even overseas like N-Z.
Lived close to the city , while we were working , but it was on 2 acres of land .
Now retired on a lake and looking at the birds , while having a coffee on the deck .
We keep walking while travelling the country and keep fit in the gym.
Will never live anywhere else , but the increasing crime does worry me .

I spent a few months travelling Europe and was amused to find what all countries thought about Australians. Businesses, pubs and shops in most countries have a smattering of English but apparently our English is incomprehensible to other English speakers as we speak a lot of slang. Even Americans can’t understand us. Immediately we speak in any country they recognise our brand of English and ask us if we’re Australian. When we confirm they answer with a big grin and bend over backwards to help us. We’re very popular for our laid back attitude and friendliness and you won’t get a hard word about Aussies. They’re always amazed that we have come so far to visit their countries. Nice to be recognised wherever we go and proud to be an Aussie.

I love being Australian, it has allowed me to nurse for over 45 years, raise 2 happy healthy sons, welcome a grandson, and provided wonderful health care to our family. Educated my children. My husband has spent the last 5 months in hospital and been cared for well. Has granted me friends of long standing over many different nationalities and backgrounds.
of course Australia has issues. But having differing opinions is generally accepted, and sometimes, eventually leads to living improvements. Much of the time research and best practice backs our changes. Not just someone’s whim.
We have multiple climates, multiple holiday destinations, so much home grown food.

The lot : culture, land, people, lifestyle, hot cross bun odd (we landed at Easter never had one before), ever-present sense of community- I am an accidental migrant... Per chance I turned up here 58years ago for 2 years (to improve my accent ha! ha! - and would not have turned up here if French had been spoken... I am French). Somehow husband and I both landed very good well paid jobs within a fortnight of landing... and after having travelled a lot in Australia, within 18months decided to stay longer... loved the place, got accepted and as we both spoke (albeit me with an atrocious accent... still there)/read/wrote English so never had to "put up" with anything (as did a lot of those who had to learn English first) , and eventually got around to take up Australian nationality. Never ever had any regrets. 4years after landing here, having bought a house, on our first trip "home", with baby in tow, we were very happy for our 3months holidays. However to our mutual surprise, arriving over Sydney, in the middle of winter, on a bright sunny day we both felt we were "back home". that says it all.

I love being Australian, it has allowed me to nurse for over 45 years, raise 2 happy healthy sons, welcome a grandson, and provided wonderful health care to our family. Educated my children. My husband has spent the last 5 months in hospital and been cared for well. Has granted me friends of long standing over many different nationalities and backgrounds.
of course Australia has issues. But having differing opinions is generally accepted, and sometimes, eventually leads to living improvements. Much of the time research and best practice backs our changes. Not just someone’s whim.
We have multiple climates, multiple holiday destinations, so much home grown food.
and it has improved tremendously in the 58 years I have been here, and yes there is still room for improvement particularly the disadvantaged, older women on the scrap heap, housing for the younger set... etc. but I would not live anywhere else