What has happened to op shops? Have charity shops become greedy?

Charity shops (commonly known as op shops) used to be the choice for shoppers with tightened budgets. Others are simply looking for a bargain or trying to be more sustainable. But now, op shoppers are finding they’re no longer the soundest option, especially with rising costs that do not necessarily come with better items.

One op shopper took it to Reddit to vent. They said:

‘I was recently out and doing some browsing around the local op shops in the area and I was shocked by several things. First was the prices. Not going to name names, but I went to three of the "big name" op shops and a couple of local ones, and the prices on things were crazy. We are talking $30 for a pair of old jeans, t-shirts were all $10+, even the books were $10 for old paperbacks and kids' toys – they were asking $20 for a Thomas the tank engine plushie!

‘Seriously? For most of these things, you could get brand new for that price or not much more... I thought op shops were supposed to be a place for people facing financial issues to pick up some cheap donated products, not a second-hand up-market boutique store stocked by the charitable donations of the public.

‘And speaking of stock, every store I went to had the labels ripped off, not just the branding ones but the size tags too. I can only assume this is to prevent people buying "brand name" items and reselling them, but from what I could see, there were no "brand name items" there anyway.’

They also reminisced about the good old times: ‘I remember only a couple of years ago, going op shopping and coming away with a good size bag of clothes for the kids and myself that were good quality close to new looking. Now all that is on the floor seems to be close to being rags, and whatever was not was priced at ridiculous levels. Seriously, there were a couple of nice (though well-worn) dresses priced over $300! At an op shop!’

The Redditor shared the last straw: ‘The final cherry on top was that there was next to nothing in the ‘kids’ sections, the men's sections of all the stores consisted of a single rack and the majority of the stores’ floor space were dedicated to showcasing specialty women's wear or racks of women's clothing. Where are all the donations I see piled up in and around the bins going?’

prudence-earl-8F0I12ypHPA-unsplash.jpg
Once considered a last resort, secondhand stores are seeing a boom in price-sensitive and eco-conscious customers. Credit: Unsplash

Other shoppers’ observations were not far off from the author’s. One said: ‘I’ve been op-shopping since the 1990s, and I’ve definitely noticed a change in pricing in the last few years. They’ve become terribly greedy and it’s rare to find a “good buy” now. Some things are more expensive than buying new!’

The commenter also noticed the shift in attitude regarding secondhand clothing. ‘It’s also a supply and demand thing. I think at the end of the 2000s and into the 2010s, with the hipster/retro boom, kitsch and vintage items increased in value (e.g. all things MCM) and op-shopping became a cool hobby or thing to do. My father told me that when he used to op-shop in the early 1980s, he was made to feel embarrassed by his middle-class peers, as it was considered the domain of poor people.’

Secondhand shopping is certainly becoming more appealing, and the numbers show that. The global ‘re-commerce’ market is expected to boom to 325 billion AUD in 2026, while already valued at 143 billion dollars in 2021.

Younger shoppers are also seemingly keener to buy pre-loved items than older generations. And while affordability remains the top reason for shoppers, others are motivated by their desire to curb the environmental effects of shopping for apparel. According to an eBay report, 34 per cent of consumers cited sustainability and reduced waste as reasons to shop secondhand.

It also doesn’t hurt pre-owned apparel shoppers are also seen as better dressers – a study found that people who rank higher on style consciousness are more likely to shop secondhand. The perception has somewhat changed, but the effects that came with it aren’t always desirable.

Another op-shopper chimed in: ‘op shops where you pay $5 for a leather jacket are few and far between. I miss finding cool bargains in op shops.’

A third said: ‘The standard of donations isn't what it used to be too, with much being cheap Kmart junk, to begin with. True quality items are rare, skimmed in sorting, or purchased quickly.’

A Redditor also commented: ‘The glory days are long behind us. Now, employees/volunteers are aware that many people buy just to flip for $$, so they price things higher accordingly.’

Someone who claimed to be working at Vinnies said it was the higher-ups responsible for the rising costs: ‘It's corporate that demands the prices go up. I can't stand it. They were selling a plastic toy car for $6!’

With inflation decreasing purchasing power, many Aussies are turning to thrift and secondhand stores for the first time. Shopping pre-loved has also become easier through online marketplaces. Platforms such as Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, and eBay are all reporting a rise in secondhand listings and sales. But shopping for apparel can be tricky when you can’t try on items to determine fit, explaining the continuing appeal of op shops.

Recently, shoppers have called out op shops for their ‘ridiculous’ prices and charging ‘an arm and a leg for absolutely anything,’ however.

Like most businesses, charity op shops say they are struggling to strike a balance between good prices and revenue. Vinnies and Salvos refer to the price increase of goods for their pricing strategy, but they also have to cover operation costs and their charitable efforts.

Op shops maintain that they still are working to serve shoppers with different budgets. In an interview with The Guardian, Salvos’ General Manager for Customer and Strategy Edwina Morgan said: ‘Our prices are reflective of the Australian consumer market, and although perception is that inflation has had an impact on preloved or second-hand clothing prices broadly, we are continuing to focus on providing a diverse range of price points across our store network to cater to all types of needs and wants.’

So, what do you think, folks? Are you observing the same in your local op shops? How do you feel about the rising prices set by secondhand stores? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
They have volunteers everything is donated there should be no rise in the cost of merchandise. It’s now, that low income families need to rely on the kind donations of others to be able to buy clothes for their children and themselves.
Some are really good but others I would never step in their shops every again. One certain op-shop made me feel like I was scum when I asked how much a beach top was ($30) I said I thought this was a shop for people to be able to buy things they could not afford to buy in other stores She looked down her nose at me and stated that they were not an op-shop even though it said it on their window…..scum is what I felt….
You are forgetting the rising costs of leases, electricity, phone and all expenses related running any form of business. Stock is donated and most of the staff are volunteers, yet the managers get paid a minimum wage. All these expenses have been added to the cost of the merchandise. Nothing is for nothing any more these days.

Reactions: Ricci
I was in an op shop the other day when someone came in with some clothes to donate. He was told no sorry we have too many clothes and was told to try another op shop up the road !!! Never heard of this happening before. So sad. Surely there is a lot of homeless people that would love them.

Charity shops (commonly known as op shops) used to be the choice for shoppers with tightened budgets. Others are simply looking for a bargain or trying to be more sustainable. But now, op shoppers are finding they’re no longer the soundest option, especially with rising costs that do not necessarily come with better items.

‘I was recently out and doing some browsing around the local op shops in the area and I was shocked by several things. First was the prices. Not going to name names, but I went to three of the "big name" op shops and a couple of local ones, and the prices on things were crazy. We are talking $30 for a pair of old jeans, t-shirts were all $10+, even the books were $10 for old paperbacks and kids' toys – they were asking $20 for a Thomas the tank engine plushie!

‘Seriously? For most of these things, you could get brand new for that price or not much more... I thought op shops were supposed to be a place for people facing financial issues to pick up some cheap donated products, not a second-hand up-market boutique store stocked by the charitable donations of the public.

‘And speaking of stock, every store I went to had the labels ripped off, not just the branding ones but the size tags too. I can only assume this is to prevent people buying "brand name" items and reselling them, but from what I could see, there were no "brand name items" there anyway.’

They also reminisced about the good old times: ‘I remember only a couple of years ago, going op shopping and coming away with a good size bag of clothes for the kids and myself that were good quality close to new looking. Now all that is on the floor seems to be close to being rags, and whatever was not was priced at ridiculous levels. Seriously, there were a couple of nice (though well-worn) dresses priced over $300! At an op shop!’

The Redditor shared the last straw: ‘The final cherry on top was that there was next to nothing in the ‘kids’ sections, the men's sections of all the stores consisted of a single rack and the majority of the stores’ floor space were dedicated to showcasing specialty women's wear or racks of women's clothing. Where are all the donations I see piled up in and around the bins going?’

View attachment 10602
Once considered a last resort, secondhand stores are seeing a boom in price-sensitive and eco-conscious customers. Credit: Unsplash

Other shoppers’ observations were not far off from the author’s. One said: ‘I’ve been op-shopping since the 1990s, and I’ve definitely noticed a change in pricing in the last few years. They’ve become terribly greedy and it’s rare to find a “good buy” now. Some things are more expensive than buying new!’

The commenter also noticed the shift in attitude regarding secondhand clothing. ‘It’s also a supply and demand thing. I think at the end of the 2000s and into the 2010s, with the hipster/retro boom, kitsch and vintage items increased in value (e.g. all things MCM) and op-shopping became a cool hobby or thing to do. My father told me that when he used to op-shop in the early 1980s, he was made to feel embarrassed by his middle-class peers, as it was considered the domain of poor people.’

Secondhand shopping is certainly becoming more appealing, and the numbers show that. The global ‘re-commerce’ market is expected to boom to 325 billion AUD in 2026, while already valued at 143 billion dollars in 2021.

Younger shoppers are also seemingly keener to buy pre-loved items than older generations. And while affordability remains the top reason for shoppers, others are motivated by their desire to curb the environmental effects of shopping for apparel. According to an eBay report, 34 per cent of consumers cited sustainability and reduced waste as reasons to shop secondhand.

It also doesn’t hurt pre-owned apparel shoppers are also seen as better dressers – a study found that people who rank higher on style consciousness are more likely to shop secondhand. The perception has somewhat changed, but the effects that came with it aren’t always desirable.

Another op-shopper chimed in: ‘op shops where you pay $5 for a leather jacket are few and far between. I miss finding cool bargains in op shops.’

A third said: ‘The standard of donations isn't what it used to be too, with much being cheap Kmart junk, to begin with. True quality items are rare, skimmed in sorting, or purchased quickly.’

A Redditor also commented: ‘The glory days are long behind us. Now, employees/volunteers are aware that many people buy just to flip for $$, so they price things higher accordingly.’

Someone who claimed to be working at Vinnies said it was the higher-ups responsible for the rising costs: ‘It's corporate that demands the prices go up. I can't stand it. They were selling a plastic toy car for $6!’

With inflation decreasing purchasing power, many Aussies are turning to thrift and secondhand stores for the first time. Shopping pre-loved has also become easier through online marketplaces. Platforms such as Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, and eBay are all reporting a rise in secondhand listings and sales. But shopping for apparel can be tricky when you can’t try on items to determine fit, explaining the continuing appeal of op shops.

Recently, shoppers have called out op shops for their ‘ridiculous’ prices and charging ‘an arm and a leg for absolutely anything,’ however.

Like most businesses, charity op shops say they are struggling to strike a balance between good prices and revenue. Vinnies and Salvos refer to the price increase of goods for their pricing strategy, but they also have to cover operation costs and their charitable efforts.

Op shops maintain that they still are working to serve shoppers with different budgets. In an interview with The Guardian, Salvos’ General Manager for Customer and Strategy Edwina Morgan said: ‘Our prices are reflective of the Australian consumer market, and although perception is that inflation has had an impact on preloved or second-hand clothing prices broadly, we are continuing to focus on providing a diverse range of price points across our store network to cater to all types of needs and wants.’

So, what do you think, folks? Are you observing the same in your local op shops? How do you feel about the rising prices set by secondhand stores? Let us know in the comments!
Totally agree, any excuse to inflate prices. Such a shame I can't even afford to shop there anymore. Will have to rumble through kerbside throw outs to clothe myself. 😢

View attachment 10602

yes they definatly are asking to much as i have returned some clothes that i bought that i never wore so i re donated them and an item i payed $5 was a week later on the racks for $12 what a joke

Well, my fav subject. I will NOT dare repeat a situation I fell into with the Salvo's just a few years back. Am still warmed by the people who sympathized with me on Facebook @ the time. Compared to when I worked for years in Op Shops, to me they no longer exist. "Greed accumulation" has taken over. People are no longer thankful for small mercies except the genuine people who are ever so grateful for a helping hand.
I drove for 70 years & in all that time I sniffed things out for people who were REALLY poor & marked the goods accordingly. We made profit by circumstance. I remember a baby whose Mum was longing to put bootees on her feet. We had none @ the time but asked her could she come back in a few days. Remembering we were Charity all the way, 3 of our workers took balls of wool home that night, & between them knitted 12 pairs of bootees in just two nights. Charging "3 pence a pair', began a knitting circle for many months later. THOSE were the days of TRUE Charity. I'll hasten to add that greed will eventually force the Op Shops into extinction & good secondhand shops will take over, much to my disgust.
One can only store as much as they can. With this in mind I learned that the reason why the Army are tightening their belt is because they take your article of furniture straight to the shop where it is to be sold. Only heresay, but from experience, wouldn't it be great to have "somewhere " for small repairs to be worked on, instead of the axe descending on a rare antique that has stood its time in a loving home? Australia IS a very wasteful country. We see it all the time. Streets exhibit many bikes for example that a bit of time spent on them would save parents money, but oh no. Time wasting. Better to buy a new one . When I compare what I had growing up in my day, we were well adjusted with very little. We had no choice, we simply adjusted to the times. I'll pull no punches. We have too much choice today, & kids put what they want on the FRONT burners right away. Our parents taught us, "All good things have a waiting period."

Golly gosh ..... the St. Vinnies I volunteer at is nothing like all of you describe.

All clothing is priced between $2.00 and $10.00 with vintage items selling slightly higher.
When clothing comes in, it is sorted out, bras and knickers are washed as are salvageable items, and torn, dirty (and I mean really soiled and putrid) items are thrown into the dumpster. Items that require ironing, are ironed.
Regarding having the pick of the items coming in - untrue. The store has a strict policy that items have to be hung out in the store first and at the end of your shift, staff are only them permitted to purchase.
In our small store, we have limited room, so can only accept small furniture items i.e. chest of drawers/chairs/washing machine.
Sheet sets are priced between $4 and $8 dollars dependant on size (single/double/queen/king).

It is the big greedy op shops in major cities that are giving our regional stores a bad name .....
I'd go op shopping at the St. Vinnies you volunteer at in a hurry. When I lived in Sydney I volunteered at Lifeline, Prices were so cheap, but I left in 2002 as I was moving out of Sydney

View attachment 10602

Aren’t the op shops staffed by volunteers so that’s one less expense. Also I’ve attempted to give them furniture in the past but don’t anymore as they’re so picky. The slightest mark and they don’t want it. I’m sure if u can’t afford new a slight mark would not worry u. It wouldn’t me. I get they have limited space. I also have noticed some shops are getting more expensive. I thought it was a tragedy during covid when they were closed. What were the people supposed to do who rely on them. They can’t afford to shop on line snd pay delivery. I wrote to my member of parliament to explain why they couldn’t open reduced hoursAnd limit numbers. Life has become messed up since covid. Some can adapt but others don’t have that option.

Many years ago (about 10) I voluntarily managed an op shop. We were lucky enough to have enough room out the back to have a washing machine and a sink. Everything that came through the door was washed, dried and ironed. One of our volunteers was a seamstress so everything was checked and buttons replaced, hems resewn etc. then the item was ready for sale. We had a rough guide that I had made, anything from Kmart or Big W, Best and Less, max $2, Target $5 and so on up to $10 our maximum price for anything. We also coded our price tags and anything that hadn't sold in 4 weeks was removed from sale and sent to another Op shop in the next town and we got their unsold items, this was to keep our stock turning over. I gave my volunteers a choice and they opted to have a black and white "uniform", I had them pick out items from the racks to make up their uniforms and they could have them for free, anything else they had to pay whatever the ticket said and they had to have another staff member price the item. It took a while but when I left ours was the most profitable store in the state, several locals said it was their boutique of choice, and my staff were willing to go above and beyond as they all loved working there.
Do the job right with love and care and you can't fail. So many people these days are volunteering just because Centrelink tells them they have to, to collect their benefits, so they are really there against their will and show no interest.

i nowadays go to redcliffe, there is a op shop called gold dollar coin .evrything cost 2 dollars, and you get good quality clothes. also they cut hair there as well , michelle is running the show there, and i must say her frienliness is great , you can even get tea or coffee cost again 2 dollars, the op shops around there, like kidney shop and calvary i think are trying to match, give it a try , i did and i am not looking back

I totally agree with everything in this article and also with all your comments.....secondhand shops are greedy!
Why buy secondhand, when you can buy the same, for new!!
And the staff, paid or otherwise, get first dibs of what comes in their back door!
And yes, they are very fussy, in what they pick up!
How do disadvantaged people shop afford to shop in these places nowadays?

Also I would love to participate in Facebooks Buy Nothing but I can't seen to see one for my suburb and I have left messages in close by suburbs but nobody ever answers my messages, which I find frustrating!
I live in Salisbury Downs, South Australia, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative!!

i nowadays go to redcliffe, there is a op shop called gold dollar coin .evrything cost 2 dollars, and you get good quality clothes. also they cut hair there as well , michelle is running the show there, and i must say her frienliness is great , you can even get tea or coffee cost again 2 dollars, the op shops around there, like kidney shop and calvary i think are trying to match, give it a try , i did and i am not looking back
Sounds great have wandered through the markets on foreshore there that is certainly not cheap.

View attachment 10602

Sadly, the ops shops of old are no longer. They have gone upmarket with their fittings and presentation, and finding a bargain is either no longer or a rarity. I have been disappointed with what is on offer these days, whereas you could suss out a designer label previously, not sure what happens to these items as I haven't spotted one in a while and the usual Kmart and chain store brands are more prevalent at prices that are more than what one would expect. The crockery and glassware are demanding antique shop prices in some cases, so it is a challenge to buy anything in this category cheaply. More recently some ordinary glassware I noticed was priced higher than is being offered on sale at a major department store! Previously fun to rifle through a jumble of things and finding a bargain, now everything colour coded and presented in an orderly way.....bring back the old I say, but I know sadly this won't be happening.

• Sad
An op shopper all my adult life, I feel sad that op shops have lost their way. On the whole, people donating goods expect that Australians in distressed financial circumstances will benefit from them. Now it is a money-making exercise for the charities. By the time goods have been "diverted" by the drivers and shop staff, and the best branded goods sent overseas for sale where they will bring more money, there is not much left in the way of good quality items for local buyers. Even with declining quality, prices have risen noticeably over the past few years, way in excess of inflation. In particular, jewellery items are way over-priced. Op shop management now asks jewellers to price the fine jewellery items. Those few items that make it to the display case are priced at the full retail price, even if the item is broken and in need of repair by a jeweller before it can be worn. Some items I have seen were priced at above the new price of an equivalent item in a jewellery store.

I used to be under the impression that goods not sold at shops run by these larger charity organisations would become part of the organisation's charity work and be given to people in need. A few years back, I discovered that goods not sold within a specified time are thrown out in the rubbish. The priority appears to be floor space and turnover of goods, not helping Australians in need. This was not the ethos of op shops at their beginning. Certainly they need to run as a business to pay their bills like everyone else, but they need to remember their role as a source of inexpensive used goods for people who are unable to afford to buy new. If they price their used goods at virtually the same pricing as new goods, people will simply turn to the low priced retail stores and op shops will fade out.

Charities need to be aware they are no longer the only places where people can give their pre-loved goods. Thanks to the internet, items can be offered free or at low cost on Gumtree or Facebook avoiding the exploitation happening with op shop donations. Donors will know that the items are more likely to reach people who will appreciate them.

View attachment 10602

So, what do you think, you folks? Are you observing the same in your local op shops? How do you feel about the rising prices set by secondhand stores? Let us know in the comments!
I agree completely. The op shops of old have gone & what we have now is the complete opposite. I no longer walk into with anything less than $5-10, & expect to walk out with a good bargain! Too expensive for me, most days. I only receive DSP, which doesnt stretch to buying nice clothes anymore, wether from op shops or normal retail!

Reactions: Ricci and Marj53
Another annoying thing I noticed with some op shops is they won't accept used/second hand clothing will only accept new or open box.

Many years ago (about 10) I voluntarily managed an op shop. We were lucky enough to have enough room out the back to have a washing machine and a sink. Everything that came through the door was washed, dried and ironed. One of our volunteers was a seamstress so everything was checked and buttons replaced, hems resewn etc. then the item was ready for sale. We had a rough guide that I had made, anything from Kmart or Big W, Best and Less, max $2, Target $5 and so on up to $10 our maximum price for anything. We also coded our price tags and anything that hadn't sold in 4 weeks was removed from sale and sent to another Op shop in the next town and we got their unsold items, this was to keep our stock turning over. I gave my volunteers a choice and they opted to have a black and white "uniform", I had them pick out items from the racks to make up their uniforms and they could have them for free, anything else they had to pay whatever the ticket said and they had to have another staff member price the item. It took a while but when I left ours was the most profitable store in the state, several locals said it was their boutique of choice, and my staff were willing to go above and beyond as they all loved working there.
Do the job right with love and care and you can't fail. So many people these days are volunteering just because Centrelink tells them they have to, to collect their benefits, so they are really there against their will and show no interest.
Salvos op shops are full of recovering drug & alcohol unemployed people. Bless Salvos for helping them, however they don't seem to want to be there like you said.