What does ‘moisture-infused’ mean? Find out why it’s causing such a stir!

Australians are known for their unique food items, some of which can seem pretty bizarre to outsiders. It can be quite a shock for tourists to see things like kangaroo meat or emu eggs in the grocery store!

While we won't go into detail about how expats or visitors see our native cuisine in this article, did you know that some supermarket items still confuse the majority of Australians?

Just take a look at this one 'bizarrely named' meat product from Woolworths that sparked a contentious debate among customers over what it actually is...

A bargain-seeking mum took to social media to share what she thought was a great deal, informing others about her bargain purchase.

However, upon posting about the deal in a popular Facebook group, the members seem to be more interested to learn more about the 'odd' description of the item than the deal itself.

hinf5UpKL6j580TU4wigLrnAaPHWaYNKTjjyWIV3l7CogaWFv2in764d_1CtNh8UHeE_KcBohTYrlcMPQGC6WT8WDXYS0w6kOMqS9TbZZMbJrWkGg7mscunjT0HRypVPU0buxCWWogLl1HmPz8R09A

The label on this meat buy sparked outrage among shoppers. Credit: Facebook.

Several users suggested that the 1.2kg package of 'Moisture Infused Pork Chops' was given that moniker by being 'injected with water' to deceive customers into paying extra.

One person wrote: 'I'm confused, moisture infused sounds like injected with water to me.'

'Love the description "moisture infused". What they really mean is that they've added water so (if you buy them) you're paying more for the water,' another said.

A third asked: ''Moisture infused?? Have they pumped water into the chops?'

Others speculated that the product would be comparable to certain meats that leak a lot of moisture when cooked, asserting that such fluids are extra water.

One user asked: 'Is that the same as when you cook them you get heaps of water out of them?'

'Yes, that's what I took from it. I've never seen them before so now I'll go have a look. I wonder,' another responded.

oYquXIaC-YFzyOHlL1_NHAj6gjmqn9YlqM0oOl270bYkbP6_34fACdgMhpqnaz_nX91rH_qFg-vJ1uKDrCZc8YdalFIYcpcsskRnHkHMHpMQxLHz6Epxg89iTNzQQFEJg1LBNJ2c9-Td81LlAB_Zkg

The customer eagerly posted the deal on Facebook, only to unintentionally start a debate among users. Credit: Facebook.

The post has also captured the attention of some butchers who took the opportunity to explain what the term means.

One comment read: ''It is only saline, the same as they do with ham. It greatly improves the risk factor for people who can't cook and constantly say 'pork is dry'. It's a great thing and not new.'

'We have used it in the food service industry for years. Give it a try.'

Another explained: 'Most pork products undergo a process called moisture infusion. This is where a solution of water and mineral salts is pumped into the pork under pressure.’

'This increases the weight of the pork and protects against dryness when overcooked.'

While we cannot blame other people for not knowing what the term means (we didn’t either!), we highly recommend researching the product when you encounter it the first time. This can help you save money by avoiding impulsive purchases and learning how to get the most use out of the product.

Also, we want to hear your thoughts! Were you taken aback when you saw the words 'moisture-infused' on the label? Or did you already know about it?

Sponsored
Australians are known for their unique food items, some of which can seem pretty bizarre to outsiders. It can be quite a shock for tourists to see things like kangaroo meat or emu eggs in the grocery store!

While we won't go into detail about how expats or visitors see our native cuisine in this article, did you know that some supermarket items still confuse the majority of Australians?

Just take a look at this one 'bizarrely named' meat product from Woolworths that sparked a contentious debate among customers over what it actually is...

A bargain-seeking mum took to social media to share what she thought was a great deal, informing others about her bargain purchase.

However, upon posting about the deal in a popular Facebook group, the members seem to be more interested to learn more about the 'odd' description of the item than the deal itself.

hinf5UpKL6j580TU4wigLrnAaPHWaYNKTjjyWIV3l7CogaWFv2in764d_1CtNh8UHeE_KcBohTYrlcMPQGC6WT8WDXYS0w6kOMqS9TbZZMbJrWkGg7mscunjT0HRypVPU0buxCWWogLl1HmPz8R09A

Several users suggested that the 1.2kg package of 'Moisture Infused Pork Chops' was given that moniker by being 'injected with water' to deceive customers into paying extra.

One person wrote: 'I'm confused, moisture infused sounds like injected with water to me.'

'Love the description "moisture infused". What they really mean is that they've added water so (if you buy them) you're paying more for the water,' another said.

Others speculated that the product would be comparable to certain meats that leak a lot of moisture when cooked, asserting that such fluids are extra water.

One user asked: 'Is that the same as when you cook them you get heaps of water out of them?'

'Yes, that's what I took from it. I've never seen them before so now I'll go have a look. I wonder,' another responded.

oYquXIaC-YFzyOHlL1_NHAj6gjmqn9YlqM0oOl270bYkbP6_34fACdgMhpqnaz_nX91rH_qFg-vJ1uKDrCZc8YdalFIYcpcsskRnHkHMHpMQxLHz6Epxg89iTNzQQFEJg1LBNJ2c9-Td81LlAB_Zkg

The customer eagerly posted the deal on Facebook, only to unintentionally start a debate among users. Credit: Facebook.

The post has also captured the attention of some butchers who took the opportunity to explain what the term means.

One comment read: ''It is only saline, the same as they do with ham. It greatly improves the risk factor for people who can't cook and constantly say 'pork is dry'. It's a great thing and not new.'

Another explained: 'Most pork products undergo a process called moisture infusion. This is where a solution of water and mineral salts is pumped into the pork under pressure.’

'This increases the weight of the pork and protects against dryness when overcooked.'

While we cannot blame other people for not knowing what the term means (we didn’t either!), we highly recommend researching the product when you encounter it the first time. This can help you save money by avoiding impulsive purchases and learning how to get the most use out of the product.

Also, we want to hear your thoughts! Were you taken aback when you saw the words 'moisture-infused' on the label? Or did you already know about it?
If you want tender moist pork chops, soak them in brine for a couple of hours before cooking. That way you aren’t paying for water.

Moisture Infused, more crap marketing, is it pumping the Christmas Ham with water? like the do, or are they doing it to or their products now!!!!

That's why it is hard to buy good mince it's infused with water you try to fry your mince all the water comes out an stews what I do is low heat wait till the frypan is full of water tip the water out dry the pan then fry the mince for bolognese its the only way I have found to fry the mince and not stew it

Ohhhh no.... no roast pork with crackle crackle crackle...not chrissy without roast pork with crackle crackle crackle
I think it's because as a teenage my friend were addicted to crackled pork. We would go to disco's at kings Cross in the 70s and at 2am we would go for food and they always ate the pork mine was burghers.
Then a few of them ended up with tape worms apparently from the pork

That's why it is hard to buy good mince it's infused with water you try to fry your mince all the water comes out an stews what I do is low heat wait till the frypan is full of water tip the water out dry the pan then fry the mince for bolognese its the only way I have found to fry the mince and not stew it
Water you say????? If I don't pick it over it'usuay fat and I have to drain that off

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

I remember as a child when buying a Pork leg or shoulder my dad would ask the butcher to put the needle in it. I thought Woolworths were doing the same to the chops. Same, Same but different.

What it means is I'll be buying my meat from my local butcher.

Was there not an investigation regarding water content in meats, sometime ago? I thought it was stopped because people were getting ripped off plus the meat loses so much flavour.

I have known about from school 40 years ago.

What is ‘moisture infused’ pork….
What is Moisture Infused Pork? It is a type of pork that has been infused with a solution of water and salts. This has been done to help the pork stay moist, juicy and tender after cooking and improve eating quality.
Above from Google/ exactly as was reported by the butchers (above)…😳😳😳